• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Takao

Banned
Personally I'd like to see sequels to Family Fishing and Go Vacation on Wii U from Namco Bandai. Nintendo should probably ask them for a Run For The Money game though.

"Run For The Money" certainly sounds like Nintendo's design methodology for the Wii U ...

Bruno MB

Taiko petered out pretty quick on PS2, it finished significantly stronger on Wii actually.

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.12.11} - 114.610 / 657.666
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - {2009.11.19} - 29.349 / 418.284
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 3 generations of party together! (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.12.02} - 25.343 / 270.672
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition! (Namco Bandai Games) - {2011.11.23} - 26.855 / 295.745
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Namco Bandai Games) - {2012.11.29} - 102.437 / 417.797 (as of Mar 10, 2013)

Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition is already the second best selling Wii Taiko title.

donny2112

From the weekly rankings perspective, MH3G performed just like previous Monster Hunters. It stayed in the Top 30 (mostly in the Top 20) until about the time the BEST version was released (in this case, the 3DS download bundle), and just before that point Capcom stops shipping the regular version so that supply stops. Then the BEST version is released (in this case, the download bundle first, and then the BEST version shortly thereafter). With 3 G, the BEST version has then been in the Top 20, except for relatively big weeks, which is, again, pretty normal.

Sort of a qualitative analysis from someone who has found interest in Monster Hunter sales on PSP before and, thus, looked at them in-depth before.

From the weekly rankings perspective, MH3G performed just like previous Monster Hunters. It stayed in the Top 30 (mostly in the Top 20) until about the time the BEST version was released (in this case, the 3DS download bundle), and just before that point Capcom stops shipping the regular version so that supply stops. Then the BEST version is released (in this case, the download bundle first, and then the BEST version shortly thereafter). With 3 G, the BEST version has then been in the Top 20, except for relatively big weeks, which is, again, pretty normal.

Sort of a qualitative analysis from someone who has found interest in Monster Hunter sales on PSP before and, thus, looked at them in-depth before.

Weird to make a BEST version when the normal price was selling well. :p

Spiegel

C'mon, you think Namco is not working on Taiko Wii U, out later this year?

Early 2011
C'mon, you think Capcom is not working on MH Vita?

Early 2006
C'mon, you think <third party developer> is not working on <successful casual PS2 franchise> PS3?

I have my doubts, yes. Why should Namco move a casual franchise to the disaster that is the WiiU when the last Taiko on Wii did better than the previous three and there's also the 3DS?

I mean, everything is possible. But I don't see why Namco would do it unless it's a collaboration with Nintendo or something like that.

They wanna get it out of the way to make way for MH4. Sacrificing short term profit to maximise the userbase for MH4 is the way to go. Kinda like the whole reason why they put it on the 3DS instead of the PSP in the first place.

Early 2011
C'mon, you think Capcom is not working on MH Vita?

I have my doubts, yes. Why should Namco move a casual franchise to the disaster that is the WiiU when the last Taiko on Wii did better than the previous three and there's also the 3DS?

I mean, everything is possible. But I don't see why Namco would do it unless it's a collaboration with Nintendo or something like that.
MH is a big franchise, alot of thought would be put into which platform it goes to. Taiko is much smaller and has been performing well on the DS/Wii/3DS, I don't see any reason why BN wouldn't try to put it on the Wii U. Its easy money without much thought needed. Next Taiko being Wii/Wii U wouldn't be out of the question, or maybe just Wii only even. Eventually they'll throw it on the Wii U though, there's no doubt there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I agree that right this minute it doesn't make much sense.

But eventually the franchise will transition to a console and even with its struggles IMO Wii U would be a better bet than what is presumably going to be a pricier console in the PS4.

donny2112

From this already poor level of support, what games can Wii U get?

Wasn't there rumor of RE6U coming at some point?

Now you know why it sparked my interest in the first place. Capcom has done that with all the Monster Hunter portable games. Makes an extremely long-seller like Animal Crossing: WW impossible, when you force the old version out to make way for the BEST release, but it seems to work well for Capcom.

donny2112

Why should Namco move a casual franchise to the disaster that is the WiiU when the last Taiko on Wii did better than the previous three and there's also the 3DS?

And there's also the fact that Wii U is backwards compatible, so making a Wii Taiko can sell to any Wii U buyers, too.

Spiegel

I agree that right this minute it doesn't make much sense.

But eventually the franchise will transition to a console and even with its struggles IMO Wii U would be a better bet than what is presumably going to be a pricier console in the PS4.

Well, I took your "sometime soon" as this year.

A Taiko WiiU released at the end of 2014? Sure, a lot of things can happen between now and then.

And I'm not denying the possibility of a Taiko for WiiU this year. It just doesn't make much sense to me when Namco can squeeze another one for Wii and another for 3DS and wait until 2014 to look for another platform to put the franchise on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, I took your "sometime soon" as this year.

A Taiko WiiU released at the end of 2014? Sure, a lot of things can happen between now and then.

And I'm not denying the possibility of a Taiko for WiiU this year. It just doesn't make much sense to me when Namco can squeeze another one for Wii and another for 3DS and wait until 2014 to look for another platform to put the franchise on.

I'm thinking holiday 2013 at the earliest.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the 2012 Taiko Wii sold so well because it was billed as kind of the ultimate greatest hits package- suggesting to me it was the final Wii entry.

Spiegel

I'm thinking holiday 2013 at the earliest.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the 2012 Taiko Wii sold so well because it was billed as kind of the ultimate greatest hits package- suggesting to me it was the final Wii entry.

Well, I don't share your confidence.

But I guess some game has to be first WiiU game to be announced on Famitsu, I think we are still waiting for that one, and why not Taiko.

squall23

Because the most recent version is the final Wii game. Bamco advertised it as such. The reason it sold so well was BECAUSE Bamco was celebrating the game being the final Wii version meaning Bamco actually spent extra effort on the game by making it as close to an arcade version as possible.

No prior console or handheld version comes close to the value and content that Chou Gouka Ban has.

squall23

Scamco should release a PS3 Taiko and see what happens. If it bombs they have something to port to Wii U.
Even if they were to release a PS3 Taiko I don't think it would be released any time soon unless they've somehow already engineered a PS3 version of the drum, which of course is not impossible but I don't see why Bamco would have made a PS3 drum if they weren't going to make a game for it.

Whereas if they do make a Wii U game the Wii U players can just use/buy the Wii version of the drum.

Road

Thanks for the list Road.

I feel the 3DS hitting PS2 level ate up a lot of the bottom end.

Sony is also incentivizing a lot of the lower tier software on to Vita at this point in an attempt to save the platform.

Polarization and declines in console retail sales relative to the PS2 era have made a lot of the types of games that did come to the Wii no longer financially feasible as well.

I was already planning on checking that hypothesis, yeah. I picked two ways to look at it:

(games are Japanese 3rd party releases)

- DS until the Wii launch: 239 over 750 days = 0.3186 games/day
- 3DS until the Wii U launch: 230 over 651 days = 0.3533 games/day

3DS wins. Biggest reason: 3DS Ware games, 85; DSi Ware games, 0. (Because it didn't exist...)

- DS until Jun 30 2007: 426 over 940 days = 0.4532 games/day
- 3DS until Jun 30 2013*: 304 over 855 days = 0.3555 games/day

DS wins: Biggest reason: 3DS 2013H1 games, 50*; DS 2007H1 games, 142. (Everyone and their mother, including many people that had never and have not ever again made games, released stuff for the DS in 2007 because of the explosion it had in 2006).

*3DS releases until Jun 2013 are subject to change (either up or down), but probably not a huge difference.
Seeing the big difference between the two perhaps we should ask ourselves: where have all those 3rd party titles gone to ?

3DS or phones ?

and if they find the Wii U unapealing why haven't they jumped on ps3 and its installbase?

thank you so basically the same as here.

The next step, yep. Look at the share of releases Wii and Wii U have in the console market. Does Wii U have less games but a similar share?

The same for the numbers above: 3DS has a slightly better number of 3rd party releases before the Wii U release, but does that actually mean a way bigger slice of the pie than the DS had? Did all these people that released games for the DS in 2007 simply stopp making games or have they moved to smartphones?

Good luck compiling the information on all Japanese releases!

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here in regards to MH3G. And I'm not even sure about where you got the bolded. Are you talking about retail promotions which are normal?

Yes they're normal for clearing out software, but it's more a matter of how much of the stock from the first fiscal year was sold in that manner. As we established before, sales hadn't even hit 1.5 million as of July on a stock from March of 1.6 million. That's pretty slow, wouldn't you say?

Dalthien

Yes they're normal for clearing out software, but it's more a matter of how much of the stock from the first fiscal year was sold in that manner. As we established before, sales hadn't even hit 1.5 million as of July on a stock from March of 1.6 million. That's pretty slow, wouldn't you say?

MH3G is a really bad case to use for an example. For one, donny already pointed out how the sales pattern for MH3G has been similar to the MH games on PSP.

Beyond that - games which ship 600k out of the gate, sell 400k in the first 2 months, and then drag on slowly to clear out the remaining 200k at bargain prices have some real issues in terms of excess stock.

That's not what happened with MH3G. Capcom shipped less than a million in the first shipment. Then retailers put in more orders, and Capcom announced that they had shipped a million after 10 days. Then retailers put in even more orders and Capcom announced they had shipped 1.2M by Dec 31. Then retailers kept putting in more orders, and more orders, and more orders, and the game had shipped 1.6M by Mar 31. At that point, retailers had enough stock to carry the game for a while, but as donny pointed out, the game kept selling a decent amount week after week.

So Capcom wanted to ship 1M by Dec 31 - they shipped 1.2M. They wanted to ship 1.2M by Mar 31 - they shipped 1.6M. They significantly beat their projections, retailers kept coming back asking for more and more stock - and now the Best Price version is selling nicely week after week. But this is supposed to be disappointing? Perhaps to you or some other individual's own perceptions - but someone really has to stretch to the moon to try to suggest that Capcom is disappointed that the game sold better than they expected, and that the Best Price version seems to be selling nicely as well.

Uh...no. Unless there was a massive price collapse which there wasn't you don't need to sell out every single shipment in a few weeks. The priority is that it easily surpassed Capcom's expectations and they were pleased with it, unlike MHT where capcom verbally said they were disappointed in japanese sales. No matter how hard anyone tries MH3G will never be a disappointment

DaBoss

Pretty slow compared to what? What we know is it exceeded Capcom's expectations as it is shown with shipments of the game. And as donny stated, it is going inline with previous MH entries on the PSP, so it isn't going "pretty slow".

Taiko was an unequivocal success on PS2. PS3 owners are still waiting for a Taiko game.

I don't see why Namco shouldn't try to release another Taiko for Wii. It's not like the console wasn't dead last year.

Wikipedia, I know yadayadayada, that's why I'm asking here on why these titles are on Taiko's wikipedia's page and if there's any truth to them:

PlayStation 3
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#22320;&#29508;&#12398;&#12481;&#12517;&#12540;&#12490;&#12540; (Taiko no Tatsujin Jigoku no Ch&#363;n&#257;) (To be announced)
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#12496;&#12488;&#12523; (Taiko no Tatsujin Online Battle) (To be announced)
PlayStation Vita
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#12532;&#12451;&#12540;&#12479; (Taiko no Tatsujin Vita) (Working title, to be announced)

Opiate

If I were Namco Bandai I wouldn't be supporting Wii U. I feel Japanese third parties all do better when they uniformly support a single console and single handheld, and for this generation that appears to be 3DS and PS4. The PS4 is still tentative, of course, but can be presumed because they certainly aren't supporting the Wii U.

If I were Namco Bandai I wouldn't be supporting Wii U. I feel Japanese third parties all do better when they uniformly support a single console and single handheld, and for this generation that appears to be 3DS and PS4. The PS4 is still tentative, of course, but can be presumed because they certainly aren't supporting the Wii U.

Depressingly Realistic.

Takao

Banned
Wikipedia, I know yadayadayada, that's why I'm asking here on why these titles are on Taiko's wikipedia's page and if there's any truth to them:

PlayStation 3
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#22320;&#29508;&#12398;&#12481;&#12517;&#12540;&#12490;&#12540; (Taiko no Tatsujin Jigoku no Ch&#363;n&#257;) (To be announced)
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#12496;&#12488;&#12523; (Taiko no Tatsujin Online Battle) (To be announced)
PlayStation Vita
&#22826;&#40723;&#12398;&#36948;&#20154; &#12532;&#12451;&#12540;&#12479; (Taiko no Tatsujin Vita) (Working title, to be announced)

Probably leftovers from some vague pre-launch support list.

Road

Famitsu Fiscal Year 2012

2011-03-28 to 2012-03-25 (53 weeks)

Hardware value: 178.83 billion yen (+5.0%)
Software value: 269.08 billion yen (-1.2%)

Total: 447.90 billion yen (+1.2%)

Hardware units:
Code:
            FY        LTD
3DS  5,651,428 11,093,452
PS3  1,162,949  9,036,301
WIU    860,786    860,786
PSP    836,165 19,392,329
PSV    780,392  1,399,811
WII    349,020 12,688,224
360     59,203  1,595,105

Software units:
Code:
 1 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf  3,339,623
 2 NDS Pokémon Black 2 / White 2  2,934,894
 3 3DS New Super Mario Bros. 2    1,995,947
 4 3DS Dragon Quest VII           1,186,571
 5 3DS Dragon Quest Monsters 3D     910,568
 6 PS3 Resident Evil 6              832,296
 7 WII Mario Party 9                658,427
 8 WII Dragon Quest X               649,412
 9 PS3 Yakuza 5                     567,339
10 3DS Paper Mario Sticker Star     520,150

Fiscal Year 2011

Usobuko

Banned

I think for Japanese software to thrive this generation, PS4 has to do relatively well worldwide. If not, they will get less relevant in future comparatively( as if they aren't already ) and for whatsoever reasons if every single one of them were to appear on the next Nintendo console, it won't be much of a selling point.

3DS 5,651,428 11,093,452
PS3 1,162,949 9,036,301
WIU 860,786 860,786
PSP 836,165 19,392,329
PSV 780,392 1,399,811
WII 349,020 12,688,224
360 59,203 1,595,105

3DS does 2x everything else combined. Beasting.

Way too early for this. Its gonna vary with each company, PS3 had a really slow start, I don't see why PS4 will get all the support "just because".

Sandfox

Doesn't Namco Bandai put out a crap ton of games(like by far the most in Japan) every year? There really isn't any problem with them releasing games on different consoles as long as they aren't moving series around a lot.

Soriku

Way too early for this. Its gonna vary with each company, PS3 had a really slow start, I don't see why PS4 will get all the support "just because".

What types of games would be better suited for Wii U over PS4 though when it comes to sales (and let's go with the assumption that both are selling well)?

DaBoss

If you check on Garaph, you'll see that a large majority of PS3 3rd party games that sold 100K+ came out around the time of the PS3 Slim's release (September 2009). Would that kind of slow start be there for Japanese 3rd parties again?

What types of games would be better suited for Wii U over PS4 though when it comes to sales (and let's go with the assumption that both are selling well)?
I'm not sure, there's too many HD games that Wii missed out on for us to know which franchises could do well on the Wii U. At the same time many of them are also trying to appeal worlwide, not just in Japan. Realistically its either PS4 or PS4/Wii U. One is gonna have the higher userbase while the other leans more towards the traditional gamers. Its a big slippery slope, way too early to call anything.

L Thammy

The Wii U's weekly numbers now are actually worse than what the PS3's were at this same point despite a similar (better?) software situation (in Japan). I think it will take more to convince consumers of the Wii U.

I have two minds about this.

1) The Wii U does have first party games coming that are pretty much guaranteed a decent level of success. That could serve to jumpstart the system, though perhaps not worldwide and perhaps not to a satisfactory level.

2) The Wii U may be between the devil and the deep blue sea. It isn't powerful enough to attract multiplatform releases, it isn't exciting enough to attract consumers by itself, and it hasn't a predecessor popular with third parties to give it the benefit of the doubt. Even if one factor were to change it's still got other reasons not to have developers appear. It's like developers saw the success of the Wii and shrugged.

Soriku

I'm not sure, there's too many HD games that Wii missed out on for us to know which franchises could do well on the Wii U. At the same time many of them are also trying to appeal worlwide, not just in Japan. Realistically its either PS4 or PS4/Wii U. One is gonna have the higher userbase while the other leans more towards the traditional gamers. Its a big slippery slope, way too early to call anything.

...If that's the case, it would make sense for third parties to go with the safest route, which would be the PS4. Doubly so if they thought their games sold well on the PS3, or if they believe their main fanbase can always be found on Sony platforms.

If third parties are aiming worldwide, they're not going to aim for PS4/Wii U. Not only will there be a big power gap between PS4 and Wii U, the 720 will be a much better and similarly-powered option that is focused on the Western market.

Also, I don't agree with your "One is gonna have the higher userbase while the other leans more towards the traditional gamers" line. It's absolutely possible for the PS4 to harbor traditional gamers as well as have the highest sales (both in Japan and WW).

They're already developing the fourth installment in the Super Smash bros. franchise. Isn't this assessment a bit premature? Wait until the PS4 comes out and see how well it performs.

If you check on Garaph, you'll see thmost large majority of PS3 3rd party games that sold 100K+ came out around the time of the PS3 Slim's release. Would that kind of slow start be there for Japanese 3rd parties again?

Depends, the ps4 is likely to be cheaper from the start so that should help it off to a better launch than the 3.

I think the problem might be games though. I Made a post about this a couple of weeks ago and Nirolak mentioned something similar last page (but in reference to wiiu) that there isn't alot of 3rd party franchises that are likely to be getting announced soon.

heres the post

Just something I was thinking on after MGS finally had a proper reveal but what other big or at least decent selling 3rd party home console franchises are likely to get a new announcement in the near future?

We know there is something Final Fantasy at E3 and Dark Souls 2 has been announced but it seems like alot of other franchises hit within the last 18 months to a year. Yakuza, Resident Evil, Tekken, Dynasty Warriors, OP musou, DMC, Dragons Dogma, DOA, DQ (more likely to be 3ds anyway i think) are unlikely to have anything until next year at the earliest.

All I can think of off the top of my head is Street Fighter(or a Capcom fighter at least), Sonic, Tales of and Persona.

What am I missing?

Now that Tales is said to be not planning on next gen what do we really have for the p4? a final fantasy and then maybe a Persona and a fighting game or two? Just seems like everyone got in before the end of the PS3 and their isn't alot there for early PS4.

Soriku

Now that Tales is said to be not planning on next gen what do we really have for the p4? a final fantasy and then maybe a Persona and a fighting game or two? Just seems like everyone got in before the end of the PS3 and their isn't alot there for early PS4.

Persona 5 definitely won't be for PS4 so you can cross that out. There's Deep Down from Capcom coming.

We'll likely to hear any PS4 announcements after its full reveal at E3, but I think Japanese third parties, especially the smaller ones, will be content with PS3 for a while. Like for the next year or two while they figure out how to approach the PS4. They'll move on eventually, but if things are barren at first I wouldn't be surprised.

Persona 5 definitely won't be for PS4 so you can cross that out. There's Deep Down from Capcom coming.

We'll likely to hear any PS4 announcements after its full reveal at E3, but I think Japanese third parties, especially the smaller ones, will be content with PS3 for a while. Like for the next year or two while they figure out how to approach the PS4. They'll move on eventually, but if things are barren at first I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah no doubt there will be a couple of new IP's like Deep Down but I was thinking about established franchises.

We haven't had a Resident Evil spinoff in a few months so there's another one that might turn up but I think a mainline RE is at least a 18 months away.

They're already developing the fourth installment in the Super Smash bros. franchise. Isn't this assessment a bit premature? Wait until the PS4 comes out and see how well it performs.

Nacmo supporting Nintendo with Smash does not guarantee anything for Nintendo. There has a been a slew of NB release for PS3 with no WiiU sku in sight. Surely their relationship would of helped them secure some multiplats? I wouldn't take anything granted for anymore since Nintendo dropped the ball.

I agree what he says. What the Japanese console industry needs is one hugely successful console (15+LTD) not two average selling consoles (8-9 million LTD) to bring third parties to consoles and for better penetration in the West. The only way I see this happening is if the majority of third parties support PS4 otherwise we might have split userbases.

Now that Tales is said to be not planning on next gen what do we really have for the p4? a final fantasy and then maybe a Persona and a fighting game or two? Just seems like everyone got in before the end of the PS3 and their isn't alot there for early PS4

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear has been announced, Yakuza is being developed for it, (not for 2014) Tales maybe, its been 3 years since GT5 so theres that too. Hot shots golf might appear and PES too.

God knows what capcom is doing but I am guessing DD2.

I don't believe Metal Gear Solid V has been announced for PS4, which is slightly concerning ...

I know but I don't believe those graphics can be achieved with this generation of consoles. I don't know what Kojima is planning though. The guy seems to want to become a master troll these days.

Even if it was, would a (potentially) late port really help drive sales that much?

If it was cross-gen PS3/4 then I could see it helping the system. The lack of BC makes PS3/4 games more viable. If its a late port then I doubt it would do much since MG is a front loaded franchise and most people will buy it in the first couple of weeks.

Top Bottom