• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

duckroll

Ooh. Can you point me towards said interviews?

After Monolithsoft Kyoto was founded: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol10/vol10_1.html

One year after Monolithsoft Kyoto was founded: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol11/vol11_1.html

Coverage on the studio and new staff recruits one and half year after Monolithsoft Kyoto was founded: http://cgworld.jp/interview/monolithsoft-recruit.html

Based on everything we know, and the type of staff Kyoto is recruiting all the time, it's pretty unambiguous that they're an asset support studio for Nintendo core-IP games. The location also makes it easier for Nintendo to have close contact with the staff and hold direct meetings.

It has been 6 years since Dragon Ball Z, and we actually -know- what he has been doing since then. There have been interviews and media coverage of Monolithsoft Kyoto. That's what hurts the most.

Does Monolithsoft Kyoto usually announce games through interviews and "media coverage"?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Their new game, obviously?

Also much thanks for the articles. Time to dust off my brain's Japanese.
Did... you read what he was saying?

He said all the articles highly imply they're a support studio that isn't making their own games unlike the main branch.

Think of them like Raven or DICE LA.

Eolz

Yes. He manages Monolithsoft Kyoto now instead of producing/directing/art directing games. :(

It can also be personal choices though. I doubt he had absolutely no saying in this.
It's like one of Kamiya's favorite designers actually just working on making collaborations between Nintendo and other devs/pubs work now insyead of directing/producing innovating games like he did years before...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Far as I am aware, they'd (Mark Pacini, Todd Keller, and Jack Mathews) planned their departure long before DKCR came about as even being a planned game. They formed a studio shortly after so this wasn't some sort of knee-jerk reaction.

Was the studio they made Armature? Apart from Batman Blackgate, what have they made o_O?

My earlier comment seems to have been interpreted as referring to E3 for some reason. I was referring more generally to the continued investment of resources in franchises or genres that have notably failed. The risk-reward assessment/strategic value afforded to a Bayonetta or Xenoblade in early 2012 or 2011 is probably quite different to now.
But in general I don't think Nintendo is opposed to risks so much as continuing indefinitely with risks that have gained little reward.
This is another good way to frame it. And that these risky (particularly with the benefit of hindsight) titles exist is not really an argument that new entries will.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Has a Monolithsoft Kyoto game ever been announced through interviews or that "media coverage"?

I don't think there's ever been *a* Monolithsoft Kyoto game, only collaborations afaik.

edit: beaten by duckroll of course

Was the studio they made Armature? Apart from Batman Blackgate, what have they made o_O?

Helped on MGS HD Collection (with Bluepoint although maybe the latter only did code for the cross-save functions and things like that, not sure), then developed Injustice UE Vita, Unfinished Swan PS4 and BDL The Pre-sequel for PS4X1 (Iron Galaxy/Code Beast did BL2).

BAO:Blackgate (portables) has been their only original game so far, I'm not sure if they've also developed the HD releases of the game tho.

Considering they formed 7 years ago... not that much, yeah.

L~A

A bit OT, but Armature also worked on that gritty Mega Man FPS game, that was cancelled. Probably the only time fans (at least, some of them :p) were glad a Mega Man game got cancelled.

Nintendo is changing and expanding their perspective both in gaming and non gaming, so we might never know what will happen to them and their studios during this phase until they decide to share further information. The market has changed a lot during the last couple of years and what was true or big back then isn't anymore.
I don't think Nintendo will take the dumb smartphone method that many developers have taken and anger their fans but will build something unique that might become the gaming standard from that day and so on. This might end up to be the next big evolution in the industry since the Atari crash.

Alrus

Helped on MGS HD Collection (with Bluepoint although maybe the latter only did code for the cross-save functions and things like that, not sure), then developed Injustice UE Vita, Unfinished Swan PS4 and BDL The Pre-sequel for PS4X1 (Iron Galaxy/Code Beast did BL2).

BAO:Blackgate (portables) has been their only original game so far, I'm not sure if they've also developed the HD releases of the game tho.

Considering they formed 7 years ago... not that much, yeah.

That's kind of sad, I remember hearing they specifically left Retro because they wanted to have more creative freedom and they were tired of working on pre-existing IPs...

duckroll

That's kind of sad, I remember hearing they specifically left Retro because they wanted to have more creative freedom and they were tired of working on pre-existing IPs...

The reality of the entertainment industry is that no matter how independent a company is, you only have as much creative freedom as what you can afford to make. This is why indies can afford the most creativity, because in terms of scope and cost they aim low and can afford to make anything themselves. Once you scale up to mid-range budgets, suddenly "creative freedom" only extends to what publishers are willing to pay a few millions dollars for. And most aren't very willing.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't think Nintendo will take the dumb smartphone method that many developers have taken and anger their fans but will build something unique that might become the gaming standard from that day and so on. This might end up to be the next big evolution in the industry since the Atari crash.
What do you think this could be?

BDFTS back on Amazon Top 100.

ggoiCYU.png

And it's also sold out at Yodobashi.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/stock/100000001002327992/index.html?isRanking=1

Just posting as a curiosity.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A bit OT, but Armature also worked on that gritty Mega Man FPS game, that was cancelled. Probably the only time fans (at least, some of them :p) were glad a Mega Man game got cancelled.
They first had a game with EA that was canned as well.

After under delivering so many times I'm surprised they seem to have more original work again.

Edit:

Apparently their last two projects were the ports of Unfinished Swan and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel so maybe those older job listings are no longer valid.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Question that I think you knowledgable guys in this thread can answer: Why are digital titles in Japan more expensive than the physical release versions? For example, 3DS digital games are always 500 yen more expensive. On the PSN store I have noticed that games are often over 1000 yen more expensive than the physical version. Kind of annoying, since I want to switch to digital as much as I can (space concerns).

duckroll

Digital games are more "expensive" because they are sold at a fixed price, while retail in Japan is so competitive that you're likely to always be able to find a much better deal somewhere since everyone is undercutting everyone else to get customers. It doesn't help that digital games are often priced at RRP because publishers don't want to offend retailers.

Digital games are more "expensive" because they are sold at a fixed price, while retail in Japan is so competitive that you're likely to always be able to find a much better deal somewhere since everyone is undercutting everyone else to get customers. It doesn't help that digital games are often priced at RRP because publishers don't want to offend retailers.

Is that true? I do think in Japan there exist RPM agreements such that video games retail prices are chosen at the upstream level and cannot be changed by retailers, at least in a non-negligible way, or under various circumstances (e.g. low demand). The retail price on digital platforms follows what happen in the physical market to avoid devaluation in the eyes of consumers, and to keep high margins opposite to lower and lower margins in the overall industry (since retail prices are not increasing as much as they should have been following increasing development costs and such).

I'm back (from GW) and so are they :

COMGnet ranking of May 5, 2015

01. [3DS] Youkai Watch Busters (combined) - 189pt
02. [PSV] Kan Colle (combined) - 132pt
03. [3DS] Fire Emblem if (combined) - 95pt

04. [3DS] Hatsune Miku Project mirai Deluxe - 54pt
05. [PSV] IA / VT (Oia / visual Tracks) -COLORFUL- (combined) - 37pt
06. [PS4] FINAL FANTASY XIV Blue Sky of Ishugarudo (combined) - 33pt

07. [PSV] Persona 4 Dancing All Night Crazy Value Pack - 26pt
08. [WiiU] Splatoon - 24pt
09. [PS4] The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt - 22pt
10. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z ultra Ultimate Fighter - 20pt
11. [PSV] Makai Shin Trillion (Limited Edition) - 17pt
12. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4 Ultra Special Edition Turbo Remix Dash + Alpha- 16pt
13. [PSV] LOVELY × CATION 1 & 2 (Limited Edition) - 14pt
14. [PSV] Cross Ange : Rondo of Angels and Dragons- 14pt

pretty sure this is actually 121, given that the special edition contains both games ;)

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Has NintendOS been announced yet?

Sort of? Nintendo has announced that they will have a cohesive underlying system that allows easy asset sharing between console and handheld, I assume this will incorporate their mobile offerings as well.

As far as a NintendoOS I don't think it will exist the same way as iPhone to iPad do. It might, but we'll have to wait to E3 and see, when the NX is revealed.

splatoon is actually getting some points, color me surprised,

wmlk

FFXIV doing well is nice to see.

Also, I'm liking the Yasuyuki Honne love the last few pages. You guys should play some Chrono Cross to see how great he truly is. :)

Seriously, Mitsuda and Honne together.

duckroll

Is that true? I do think in Japan there exist RPM agreements such that video games retail prices are chosen at the upstream level and cannot be changed by retailers, at least in a non-negligible way, or under various circumstances (e.g. low demand). The retail price on digital platforms follows what happen in the physical market to avoid devaluation in the eyes of consumers, and to keep high margins opposite to lower and lower margins in the overall industry (since retail prices are not increasing as much as they should have been following increasing development costs and such).

Erm. Almost no one in Japan sells stuff at RRP at retail unless you shop at big chains which don't care. Even then there are usually good loyalty discounts via points or whatever. If you go to game stores in particular, you can get really good discounts day 1. Also, just look at how Amazon prices stuff. Everything is usually 10% off or more on pre-orders.

Buying digital in Japan is a raw deal because there are so many better deals out there on retail.

What do you think this could be?
I honestly don't know especially that I was among the people who thought the Wii was a disaster. Plus I really don't like mobile games that was intended to have buttons originally Megaman 2 on iPhone was a heart breaker seeing one of my favorite games become like that.

Nintendo and DeNA seems to have a plan set and very eager to know what they've got.

You know, I don't think I got an answer for this last time, though I'm not surprised:

do we know the marketshare for the major retailers in Japan? like for NPD Gamestop is 30%

Erm. Almost no one in Japan sells stuff at RRP at retail unless you shop at big chains which don't care. Even then there are usually good loyalty discounts via points or whatever. If you go to game stores in particular, you can get really good discounts day 1. Also, just look at how Amazon prices stuff. Everything is usually 10% off or more on pre-orders.

Buying digital in Japan is a raw deal because there are so many better deals out there on retail.

Amazon (and online retailers, for what they matter) is a completely different situation. Amazon can offer a price 10-15% lower than the MSRP even when RPM are in place in light of its nature as online intermediary; the fact that holds bargaining power over most of the manufacturers plays a role, of course.

Anyway, it seems that retailers have full decision power in setting the actual final list price. I didn't know that no one follows that MSRP in Japan. Are there some public contractual agreements on the matter? It's typical in some European countries to be obliged to sell at the price set by the manufacturer for at least a week or two from the launch of the product, otherwise a fiercer price competition would destroy margins and investments in effort. Perhaps, the Japanese video game market is more matura and this does not happen anymore.

duckroll

My understanding is that in the west some retail agreements allow retailers to return unsold stock back to distributors within a certain period, so they're more willing to agree to more terms set by distributors with regards to pricing and higher order volume. In Japan retailers buy stock outright, so anything that is shipped into the retail channel can be considered a sale for the distributor. That's probably why no one feels obligated to sell at RRP unless it's a huge title which will definitely sell out regardless.

Big chains can sell at RRP because they cater to casual shoppers who probably aren't going around comparing prices, so there's no reason for them to make less money, but in places like Akihabara where the entire district is filled with game speciality stores, the competition is really tough, so to attract customers stores tend to discount stuff pretty heavily even at launch. That's where people who are price conscious tend to shop.

I'm sure from a publisher perspective they would LOVE to be able to regulate prices, but Japan has been historically against stuff like this. With lawmakers going after price fixing and refusing to legislate against used games and so on. It's good for consumers though.

L~A

Due to Golden Week, both Media Create and Famitsu won't release new numbers until Friday (they didn't give a precise time, though).

Tried to check on Dengeki Online, but I didn't find a notice so who knows when they're releasing their numbers (may have missed it, though).

small44

The normal edition of Persona 4 dancing had 14 it's appeared in the chart of the 4th May

AniHawk

My understanding is that in the west some retail agreements allow retailers to return unsold stock back to distributors within a certain period, so they're more willing to agree to more terms set by distributors with regards to pricing and higher order volume. In Japan retailers buy stock outright, so anything that is shipped into the retail channel can be considered a sale for the distributor. That's probably why no one feels obligated to sell at RRP unless it's a huge title which will definitely sell out regardless.

in the west, some companies offer price protection as an incentive to take on more stock. ideally, all of that stock gets moved and more orders can come in to replace sold stock. if stock is not moving, retailers can negotiate a lower price with the publisher to move more units, and the publisher pays the retailer the price difference. publishers may also opt not to sell a game with price protection, if they're aware the game may not sell to many people, which basically puts the burden on the retailer.

Top Bottom