• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2016 (Apr 25 - May 01)

Zalman

I find it hilarious that Kirby games keep doing this well. People rarely talk about the series but both quality and sales are always consistently good.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's a fantastic result for Pawapuro, great growth compared to the latest installments, how did it happen?

I find it hilarious that Kirby games keep doing this well. People rarely talk about the series but both quality and sales are always consistently good.

Its core audience appears to be children and females, not the types who sit around on message boards all day. It was a targeted release for Golden Week.

mao2

[3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe - 214.208
[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 145.000

[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 81.981
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 50.836
Total - 132.817
[PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 102.000
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 85.000
[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 56.000
Total - 243.000

[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - 162,000
[PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International - 72,026
[PS4] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 113.022
[PS3] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 20.000
Total - 133.022

Didn't expect PS3 version of SO5 to bomb this hard TBH.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How is Xenoblade a bigger JRPG than Star Ocean? SO4 pushed over 200k on the Xbox360...

... isnt that the issue? SO4 was a franchise killing trainwreck of a game. I worry for FF15 because most folks jumped off the train as the 13 trilogy mess continued to unfold.

Wagram

That's about 150,000 physical for Star Ocean between PS4/PS3. That's freakin' awful. It's possible it might be pushing 200,000 with digital (maybe). It's definitely up to the west to push sales or else this likely will be the last Star Ocean. Shame.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I hope that Kirby game has some legs, it looks and sounds pretty good.

No real interest in the yearly sports game but it seems adding a PS4 SKU made a world of difference.

Also, SO5 PS3 bomba. Didn't expect much after reading about the game but I can't believe it's that low.

duckroll

... isnt that the issue? SO4 was a franchise killing trainwreck of a game. I worry for FF15 because most folks jumped off the train as the 13 trilogy mess continued to unfold.

Yes. I was originally responding to someone who claimed that it wasn't too bad considering SO5 "probably" sold 200k combined + digital, and that "bigger JRPGs" recently have failed to clear that (low) bar. I was wondering what those bigger JRPGs were because there are none! SO is pretty big and it tanked hard!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I hope that Kirby game has some legs, it looks and sounds pretty good.

No real interest in the yearly sports game but it seems adding a PS4 SKU made a world of difference.

Also, SO5 PS3 bomba. Didn't expect much after reading about the game but I can't believe it's that low.

Adding a PS4 SKU isn't what made a world of difference.

The only prediction YSO came close was Star Ocean.

Yes. I was originally responding to someone who claimed that it wasn't too bad considering SO5 "probably" sold 200k combined + digital, and that "bigger JRPGs" recently have failed to clear that (low) bar. I was wondering what those bigger JRPGs were because there are none! SO is pretty big and it tanked hard!

Things aren't so complicated. Nintendo force has calmed down since there were many bans but Sony force is super strong. At least Microsoft doesn't exist in here.

How come Star Ocean 5 tanked?

Was it because part 4 was 360 exclusive for a year which pissed people off or are they bad games

I've read a ton of impressions and from what people have said there, and from how others have answered basically what you asked, it seems to come down to: it's a former AAAish series given a shoe string budget with which they delivered an entirely mediocre game which they hoped would sell on legacy.

In this Japanese console market, that is not enough.

casiopao

[3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe - 214.208
[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 145.000

[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 81.981
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 50.836
Total - 132.817
[PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 102.000
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 85.000
[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 - 56.000
Total - 243.000

[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - 162,000
[PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International - 72,026
[PS4] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 113.022
[PS3] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 20.000
Total - 133.022

Didn't expect PS3 version of SO5 to bomb this hard TBH.

There is nothing to said about SO there. It is simply a huge bomba there.

Powapro on the other hand really shocks me. It seems that the mobile game actually propelled its popularity lol.

Kirby is going to had some long legs here.^~^ great WoM and GW coming.^~^

Eolz

Jikkyou still got it, not too bad for kirby, and lol for Star Ocean. Latter probably got some preorder cancellations after that bad reception on ps4, even if it was not going to be a huge seller.

udivision

I think FF15 would do a better job of garnering interest than a low-budget sequel like SO5. Not really knocking the quality of the games or anything, but the big-budget "Hey this game is important!" thing typically reserved for AAA games can be pretty effective at getting attention.

Will I get ban from doing lame jokes again?

I think tri-Ace is comfirmed goner at this point.

It hasnt even come out in the west yet and Tri Ace will just keep making mobile games if Square Enix decides console games arent a good investment from them.

Kotaku Import review doesn't really paint SO5 in a positive light

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness is a game I feel I would have enjoyed much more if I had just played it on easy and been able to experience the story to its fullest. The AI is flawed, the graphics an odd mix of beautiful and cheap-looking, and the protect-the-target missions are just the worst. Those invested in the series may still find plenty to enjoy here, but for me, my lasting impression of the game will forever be a negative one.

http://kotaku.com/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness-the-kotaku-imp-1774392290

Bad WOM and sales has pretty much killed the chance of any sequel or more Star Ocean. RIP.

Still curious about Western sales but if it gets bad reviews, then they won't be good either.

hiska-kun

Yeah, with Kirby's and baseball's performance, Golden Week might be stronger than the past two years (that were horrible).
Also, that means than the post Golden Week drops won't be as terrible as we could expect. Last year, we saw the lowest tracked week of all time in Japan after GW. I don't think it will happen this year.

BadWolf

Not worried for XV at all.

Look at how well XIV is performing despite the first version being a disaster. The FF brand is still strong.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just so disappointing to hear how the whole SO5 saga turned out. Low budget leading to a compromised vision, poor Japanese sales, poor word of mouth... I did my part and reserved the US Collector's Edition but it probably won't be enough. I liked 4 so I'll probably like this one but still... And is ~200k really so little, in this market, to put the kibosh on tri-Ace?

Fisico

Unless he is claiming that ToB won't be able to reach 200k, which I do agree that it can happen.

Nah, Berseria might underperform compared to Zestiria but there's no way it would collapse under 200k LTD, the IP is not mismanaged that bad.

Still curious about what supposedly bigger RPG did worse than SO5, but I guess we will never know the answer :p

noshten

super-mario-maker-our-levels-are-weird.gif

Finally SMM leapfrogs the Inklings - dat Wii U hunger

Orgen

Nah, Berseria might underperform compared to Zestiria but there's no way it would collapse under 200k LTD, the IP is not mismanaged that bad.

Still curious about what supposedly bigger RPG did worse than SO5, but I guess we will never know the answer :p

Not under 200K ltd but we have 2 examples of Tales games not selling more than 250K in 2 succesful (albeit not Sony) platforms: Graces and Hearts. Personally I see a 350K LTD for Berseria (it would be nice if Persona 5 would be 700K and FF XV 1.4 million :D).

And the bigger RPG comment... yeah, I don't think we'll get an answer (typical from some MC users that appear only when their favorite game/company gets attacked).

Splatoon vs Persona 5 comparisons redeemed.

Blast from the (not so distant) past! Who was the one laughing at Splatoon selling more than Persona 5? Winnybeck or something like that?

Anyway, do you really think Persona 5 launch date will affect FF XV? It should be a front-loaded game and by the 3rd week people could change easily to the new FF RPG IMO (unless Japanese people focuses only in one game for weeks not paying attention to the rest).

Fisico

Not under 200K ltd but we have 2 examples of Tales games not selling more than 250K in 2 succesful (albeit not Sony) platforms: Graces and Hearts. Personally I see a 350K LTD for Berseria (it would be nice if Persona 5 would be 700K and FF XV 1.4 million :D).

It's been shown time and time again that the Nintendo consoles weren't a good fit for the Tales series (old graph back from ToX launch), Tales of Graces on wii sold almost the same number of copies than vesperia on 360, while both titles sold less than the low effort spin-offs on PSP.

Overall it does seem to be that the series is on a downward spiral, like many others.

From your 3 predictions I'd say FFXV is the one likely to be the less accurate :p

Top Bottom