• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2016 (Apr 25 - May 01)

random25

Will there really be a competition between P5 and FFXV? 2 weeks in between, and with JRPG sales usually front-loaded in the first week, I'm pretty sure there would be an audience overlap between the two so there's really no downside to either one.

Splatoon vs Persona 5 comparisons redeemed.

Splatoon already won by default because Persona 5 sold 0 units in 2015.

Vena

Will there really be a competition between P5 and FFXV? 2 weeks in between, and with JRPG sales usually front-loaded in the first week, I'm pretty sure there would be an audience overlap between the two so there's really no downside to either one.

Splatoon already won by default because Persona 5 sold 0 units in 2015.

The competition would be in the fact that people have limited funds to spend, and stacking two games like that back to back (tapping similar markets) is going to give you an erosion in consumer spending. People don't have infinite money nor infinite time, so two long-ass JRPGs launching back to back is just not something I'd consider a wise strategy. Also since they are JRPGs with limited online (if any) importance, you're going to just push even harder into the second-hand market for one or the other. Buy one new, spend XY hours on the game, trade it in and get the other used Z weeks/days later and play for WU hours.

At this point, we should be asking about Splatoon vs. FFXV, lol.

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to announce Pokemon to coincide with his just to fuck with everything, now. (They won't.)

Probably there won't be, and this is pretty good for PS4, definitely a bigger September for it than last year's.

Aters

Prediction of future big JRPG sells starts now since we know all the release date. I will only predict the first week sale for each.

ToB: 250k
P5: 400k
FFXV: 1M

Takao

Banned
I can see why Falcom is skipping their typical September slot this year. Just need Capcom to drop MH Stories that month.

Sterok

I guess Persona?

What's Splatoon's YTD anyway

Last week it was at 1.338.689. O the last week of 2015 it was at 1.153.989. So 184.700. Hm, I guess Persona will win unless Splatoon pulls another beast holiday. Not sure if Splatoon can do that with the Wii U supply situation, but it's pulled plenty of surprises already.

Malakai

It's been shown time and time again that the Nintendo consoles weren't a good fit for the Tales series (old graph back from ToX launch), Tales of Graces on wii sold almost the same number of copies than vesperia on 360, while both titles sold less than the low effort spin-offs on PSP.

Overall it does seem to be than the series is on a downward spiral however, like many others.

From your 3 predictions I'd say FFXV is the one likely to be the less accurate :p

Wasn't Tales of Graces for the Wii recall in Japan?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What's so strange about considering XenobladeX bigger than Star Ocean V ? I'm not comparing the history of the franchise but those two games.

Everyone who follows import reviews and impressions knows that Star Ocean V, while a decent snack for summer before Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Berseria and Persona 5, is a middle class RPG way smaller in scale, dev time and budget than anticipated. I don't need to explain why XenobladeX is the total opposite of this, and is by far the biggest RPG ever created by Nintendo and one of the most ambitious of its genre in the recent years. If I wanted to troll I could have compared with Genei Ibun Roku #FE to show how fantastic tri-Ace did, y'know.

----

Things aren't so complicated. Nintendo force has calmed down since there were many bans but Sony force is super strong. At least Microsoft doesn't exist in here.

Totally agree, some people tend to be obssessed sometimes. I saw one guy posting everything below in the span of two MC threads, and that's just a best of.

90% digital will save Star Ocean.

No matter how much you lower the expectations Star Ocean did as bad as it was expected to do.

Those additional 50k will save Star Ocean.

Star Ocean with huge price cuts from retailers and still doesn't sell.

Digital, rest of Asia, West and Martians will save Star Ocean.

With PS4 Star Ocean reaching already low prices at retail even 50k LTD for the late PS3 version start to look like a dream.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If we want a competition, how about Splatoon vs Persona 5 in 2016?

Mario Kart 8 has sold 340,000 unit in 2015. So i think 400,000 for Splatoon in 2016 should be a given, most likely well over that.

And even if Splatoon won't have a beast holidays, really, Wii U has nothing this time. Splatoon will be with Mario Maker easy the bigger game for Wii U in November / December 2016, just like in holidays 2015.

Anyway, i can see Persona 5 wins, though it won't win by a good margin, and that's just insane for Splatoon.

Beckx

Hurray for Power Pro doing well! The game is so good.

Maybe that means some hope for Pro Yakyu Spirits.

Bruno MB

Does anybody have a possible explanation of why Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 has been so popular this year?

I know nothing about baseball, and even less about Japanese baseball league.

Tizoc

Woah what's so good about that Konami Baseball game? Anyone playd it to offer some insight please?

Beckx

Does anybody have a possible explanation of why Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 has been so popular this year?

I know nothing about baseball, and even less about Japanese baseball league.

The series hasn't had a release since 2014, and the mobile game has been successful (iirc). It's the first solid baseball game for the PS4 in Japan and NPB & baseball generally are very popular (for example the two national high school tournaments (Koshien) each year are huge events run by the big newspaper/media groups Asahi and Mainichi Shinbun, airing on national broadcast tv & streaming).

Woah what's so good about that Konami Baseball game? Anyone playd it to offer some insight please?

I'm a big power pro fan so I got both PS4 and PSV versions. It's just a great, great version of power pro. The best the game has ever looked, visually, and the new story mode seems to be pretty cool.

Konami's baseball engines are top notch. Power Pro isn't as hard core as their other series (PYS, which is/may be dead), but it hits a sweet spot between a more sim like game and an arcade game. Tons of modes and ways to create players (some infested by PTW/gatcha mechanics though). My favorite is the Best Nine mode where you manage a high school team, and develop players over their 2 1/2 year eligibility period and hope they get drafted. If they get drafted you can use them in the other modes, like My Life and Pennant. It's fun because most of the kids who join the team will be ordinary players but sometimes you get an absolute monster, which is exciting because (1) you can mold them into super players for the other modes and (2) your school will have a shot at Koshien.

There's a ton of content in the game, more than any recent version I think, including last year's special event uniforms. Like here's my favorite player (Sho Nakata of the Nippon Ham Fighters) wearing the special throwback unis they had one week in 2015.

ChpwiceWsAAvNbv.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The Witcher 3 sold 170k at retail + digital.

It's not from Japan but it's an RPG. There it is, mystery solved.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Are RPGs usually as frontloaded in the west as they are in Japan? Why are RPGs so frontloaded in Japan as compared to other games ('evergreen' Nintendo games for instance)?

Damn, everything I was expecting for Star Ocean came true, and not even 50k for PS3.
I don't know if this will fall on deaf ears, but I hope you understand he's not talking about your accuracy, but rather your demeanor. For years you've been consistently rude and condescending to anyone who's incorrect. You often mock fanboys, but you are easily as toxic to civil conversation as they are.

I understand this isn't liable to effect a change, but I felt like it needed to be said.

L~A

Are RPGs usually as frontloaded in the west as they are in Japan? Why are RPGs so frontloaded in Japan as compared to other games ('evergreen' Nintendo games for instance)?

From what several posters posted in the past (well, mostly hiska-kun really), used sales are pretty big in Japan. RPG are generally not the kind of games with a lot of replay value, so they can end up sold back pretty fast.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't know if this will fall on deaf ears, but I hope you understand he's not talking about your accuracy, but rather your demeanor. For years you've been consistently rude and condescending to anyone who's incorrect. You often mock fanboys, but you are easily as toxic to civil conversation as they are.

I understand this isn't liable to effect a change, but I felt like it needed to be said.

Who was I rude with at these posts? SO5?

If Iwas rude with anyone who is incorrect or responding to everything (like the post above) I'd have a few thousands posts more and as I have said many times before if someone feels offended from me he can defend himself alone.

Vena

Used games market is big in Japan. Its also why I think the positioning of P5 and FFXV back-to-back is dumb for this very reason.

Its also dumb because it taps the same market.

MacTag

Banned
I'm usually a lurker in Japan sales threads but I feel like I should say I think Chris is one of the better contributors to these threads. I don't find his tone problematic or toxic at all and find it troubling when others feel the need to attack personally like this rather than try and argue the merits of things he said that they might disagree with.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We won't turn this thread around me (again). Usually when I start or participate in a fight that doesn't involve numbers I see a reason, if you see it fine if you don't fine again.

I won't do anything to change the opinion for those who like or don't like my behavior, there are far more interesting things to do here. So please, at least these who care for Japanese sales, move on.

Sterok

For an example of how RPGs sell in Japan vs the US, we just got a handy Fire Emblem graph.

10l.jpg

Awakening (and Fates) more or less stopped selling after a month in Japan, while Awakening never stopped selling in America. Used market is definitely a reason, though I suspect something else is at play as well. Do kids games like Yokai and Splatoon just not turn up on the used market much?

Who was I rude with at these posts?
The people who said the wrong things you were mocking (e.g. "the west will save Star Ocean", etc.)

If I was rude with anyone who is incorrect or responding to everything (like the post above) I'd have a few thousands posts more and as I have said many times before if someone feels offended from me he can defend himself alone.
It's not about defense, because it's not about accuracy. It's the manner of your speech. But as I said, I know how unlikely change is.

I'm usually a lurker in Japan sales threads but I feel like I should say I think Chris is one of the better contributors to these threads. I don't find his tone problematic or toxic at all and find it troubling when others feel the need to attack personally like this rather than try and argue the merits of things he said that they might disagree with.
But I have no interest in arguing the merits of what he said. I think he's right about SO 5, just as he is about most things. I'm just trying to help him see that his sarcasm and condescension are counterproductive. I don't know what to say if you can't see that tone in his posts. His defense itself casually paints thousands of other posters as wrong.

In any case, I apologize for derailing the discussion. It's just that given my personal history, I held out hope that saying something might illuminate the idea that being right doesn't free you from the obligation to be civil.

Some Nobody

I'm bummed about SO5 but what can you do? There's no end to the reasons or even excuses we could make as to why it wasn't a stronger game, but I was kinda worried when we didn't see any space bits to it.

Biggest disappointment is that SO5 isn't PS4 only, as I'm sure that would've made a superior game from the start.

horuhe

Bic Camera has already started the promotion for Uncharted. They are accepting reservations.

For Golden Week, Dragon Quest VIII and Theatrhythm Dragon Quest are being discounted.

There has been several Wii U shipments during this week. However, it seems Japan should be the only country where PS4 is cheaper than Wii U.

Golden Week has been a well-known Nintendo-esque week. So, some big franchises tend to sell well, and are well promoted along with a 100yen curry.

Jikkyō also is being very well advertised during this week.

And finally, Star Ocean 5 for PS3, being heavily discounted not too many days after its release.

sense

who left the oven on !!!

People are who they are, there is no changing that especially on the Internet.

Anyways hope golden week is good for hardware numbers and ps4 starts to rise again with games like uncharted and dqh2. Anything notable for ps4 besides those two coming out in the next 2 or 3 months?

Ōkami

who left the oven on !!!

People are who they are, there is no changing that especially on the Internet.

Anyways hope golden week is good for hardware numbers and ps4 starts to rise again with games like uncharted and dqh2. Anything notable for ps4 besides those two coming out in the next 2 or 3 months?
There's Toukiden 2 and a new Robot Taisen coming at the end of June and Ys VIII in July.

The next coming months are going to be a huge pressure for me as a YO-KAI WATCH fan, I'm hoping YW3 succeeds in Japan. Cause if not, I'll be hearing YW hate comments across social media. ;_;

And especially when YW2 localization is announced, I'm going to be caring about the release date, marketing, and sales, hoping it will succeed overseas.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
September Media Create will get interesting since P5 and FFXV will be out. Though I do wonder if P5 will reach at 500k (though doubtful).

sense

Ōkami;202758447 said:
There's Toukiden 2 and a new Robot Taisen coming at the end of June and Ys VIII in July.
Interested to see how Toukiden 2 does. Seems like a bigger investment this time around.

Top Bottom