• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2012 (May 14 - May 20)

Branduil

And people rip on me for loving 90s anime and hating late-2000 stuff.

Yeah it's not like crappy anime existed in the '90s or anything.

I have a hard time seeing what Sony can do for the Vita right now. They need software, but with their current numbers, how are they going to attract developers? They're going to need an unexpected hit.

DGRE

Banned
How many more times am I gonna hear for E3? Did 3DS stop getting games because everyone is waiting to anounce them there?

I'm not far from start believing the system hasn't come out yet.

I was speaking in terms of a pricedrop. I guess it would dampen any spirit of confidence they would try to conjure there, but it's just necessary. They need to get aggressive or go home.

Unlike their TV business, consoles live and die on the games available for them. They can't be stubborn in this situation.

Koroviev

Yeah it's not like crappy anime existed in the '90s or anything.

I have a hard time seeing what Sony can do for the Vita right now. They need software, but with their current numbers, how are they going to attract developers? They're going to need an unexpected hit.

PS2 support. Believe!

Not gonna happen.

M-PG71C

Good: Fire Emblem Awakening is performing strongly, so is the "Three Kings" and Icarus.

Bad: Software sales across the board are weak. Persona 2 performed weakly yet could be anticipated despite circumstances. Vita is continuing to perform poorly.

I really do wonder what will Sony do for the poor portable. I really doubt they are going to meet their shipment numbers they have set unless they stuff the channels, and even then.

How many more times am I gonna hear for E3? Did 3DS stop getting games because everyone is waiting to anounce them there?

I'm not far from start believing the system hasn't come out yet.
But according to rumors they ARE saving some announcements (Castlevania, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc). Why not wait a little longer?

And I remember E3 2011, full of first-party 3DS games and barely any third-party support, then three months later and you know what happened.

nordique

Persona 2 flop, Mario Party 9 big flop.

Mario Party 9 will be fine. Its over 350k which in Japan is not bad, and it will have some nice legs.

as anemic as Wii console sales are, it still is pretty decent software wise, especially Nintendo titles.

can't say the same for Vita. I don't know much about Persona series so I can't really comment on it.

Daschysta

GOGO POKEMON!

I guess some people that didn't purchase/sold their copies of B/W are preparing for B/W 2 with a replay of the first ones. The games are such beasts.

Slow week overall, but some interesting inferences to be drawn in addition to the one above none the less...

3DS holding steady with no releases is fine, considering the software coming up very shortly that is almost guaranteed to be gigantic...

Fire Emblem looks to be a candidate to join the Holy Trinity in perpetual legs land! I couldn't be more happy, it's by far my favorite SRPG series, and by all accounts by JapanGaf that i've read this is a very, very solid entry. It would be interesting to observe the effects that nintendo games employing DLC, such as Fire Emblem have in terms of legs relative to their predecessors...

Vita is a disaster, studio's have to be running out of reasons to support the thing, what else is on the horizon? Sony will have to save this thing themselves, but I don't know how, a shame, as competition is good for the industry, and Sony is already is a huge financial hole...

Road

I noticed it but since it's Famitsu most likely someone mixed 2 with 9

Yeah, noticed that. Since they only gave a rounded number and it's only ~7K, I'll just keep the higher number for record-keeping. Small decreases like this for past data happen from time-to-time but not very often.

Now Famitsu is saying 431k. Guess it's that until they come up with a new number next week.

Since we've only had the Media Create top 20 since 2010 its not surprising that 2,551 units sold is the lowest number to enter into the list. What it will be really interesting is the next Famitsu top 30 chart, it will probably have the game in the 30th position with the lowest units sold since ages.
Lowest sales at no. 30 I have:

2012-05-07 30 [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) - 2,024 / 267,450
1995-10-09 30 [PS1] J-League Prime Goal EX (Namco) - 2,256 / 79,447
1995-11-13 30 [SFC] Captain Tsubasa: The Way to World Youth (Bandai) - 2,292 / 2,292
2010-05-10 30 [WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 2 - Awakening of the Hero [Minna no Osusume Selection] (Bandai Namco) - 2,326 / 19,641
2012-04-09 30 [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (SEGA) - 2,333 / 122,698
2011-06-06 30 [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! No Maki [Minna no Osusume Selection] (Hudson) - 2,347 / 71,425
2011-06-13 30 [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! No Maki [Minna no Osusume Selection] (Hudson) - 2,404 / 73,829
2011-05-16 30 [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! No Maki [Minna no Osusume Selection] (Hudson) - 2,419 / 64,133
2011-05-09 30 [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 2,428 / 6,132,476
2004-05-10 30 [PS2] Generation of Chaos IV: World (Idea Factory) - 2,449 / 42,334

It's possible there is some lower than the most recent one (I don't have every weekly top 30 since 1996).

donny2112

1995-10-09 30 [PS1] J-League Prime Goal EX (Namco) - 2,256 / 79,447
1995-11-13 30 [SFC] Captain Tsubasa: The Way to World Youth (Bandai) - 2,292 / 2,292

I've said it before, but I don't trust the pre-March 1996 point-converted data on that site. He changed the multiplier for the points seemingly arbitrarily in early February (IIRC), and his new multiplier would result in a entry from January 1996 being in the 1996 Top 100 that isn't there. Therefore, I store his pre-March 1996 data in a separate table, but don't believe his muliplier is reliable.

My 2 cents.

It's possible there is some lower than the most recent one (I don't have every weekly top 30 since 1996).

Have everything since February 1996, and there's nothing lower than what you posted.

jrDev

*Looks at Personas sales*

It seems that Atlus has been milking the ports to 'Death' now...

How long have fans been clamping for sequel?

Alrus

Persona 2 flop, Mario Party 9 big flop.

MP9 will do fine, it's the kind of game that will have decent sales throughout the year. Not going to reach the heights of the series (and it's obviously going to go even close to Wii party), but it's not a big flop at all.

But according to rumors they ARE saving some announcements (Castlevania, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc). Why not wait a little longer?

And I remember E3 2011, full of first-party 3DS games and barely any third-party support, then three months later and you know what happened.

If you think Western dudebro games will move dedicated handheld hardware in 2012, well... agree to disagree for now. And the latter two of those wouldn't really be new announcements.

And 3DS had plenty of third-party support (albeit not a steady stream of releases) as of E3 2011. You're incorrectly conflating that with lack of third-party announcements, which is true, but titles like RE:R, KH3D, and most of Level-5's titles had been announced well before that.

DGRE

Banned
This is officially the worst sales thread I've seen.

Get this anime shit out of a sales thread. Believe it or not, many people here are actually very interested in sales, and don't want to deal with little anime girls eating pizza...

Please. It really doesn't have any place in this thread, regardless of what the best selling game is this week.

The big underlying issue with Vita sales (someone else touched on this) is that it has also effectively dead-legged PSP sales, possibly prematurely, and now neither of them are doing well. PSP will be sub 10k next week or the week after.

Nevermind the fact that PSP has outsold the Vita by more than 100k units this year...

Koroviev

Please. It really doesn't have any place in this thread, regardless of what the best selling game is this week.

The big underlying issue with Vita sales (someone else touched on this) is that it has also effectively dead-legged PSP sales, possibly prematurely, and now neither of them are doing well. PSP will be sub 10k next week or the week after.

Nevermind the fact that PSP has outsold the Vita by more than 100k units this year...

And this despite the fact that the Vita was released last year in Japan.

squall23

Hah, you think this stuff didn't exist in the 90s?
Of course it did, it's just now there's more of it. In the 90s where 7/10 anime were mecha and/or action, in the late 2000s (I stuff loved stuff prior to 2006) 14/20 anime (because more are made now) are crap like this.

All I watch nowadays is Inazuma Eleven because it reminds me of Captain Tsubasa. Otherwise I just watch classic stuff that I've never seen before that people with similar tastes as I do recommend to me.

Boy, I am so glad Super Robot Wars as a franchise exists.

This thread is a fascinating case study on what happens when you put two, ordinarily completely separate GAF communities together in the same thread. The invaders are unable to resist marking their new territory, and the natives become infuriated as soon as they catch the sent of another pack's urine. The BBC should film this behavior for a documentary.

duckroll

This thread is a fascinating case study on what happens when you put two, ordinarily completely separate GAF communities together in the same thread.

I think you're overestimating how "separate" the communities are. :p

Edit: Okay guys, quit spamming, it's annoying.

It did lead up to the situation we have now where light novel titles are basically stupid/creepy phrases. Just some examples from a list at ranobe-mori.net:

• Elementary School girls are fighting over me and it's getting out of hand
  • The recent sisters fad is all thanks to me.
  • I'll make you an otaku, so give me a life!
  • My IRL and online gaming time's been infected by love comedy
  • I'm a big brother but as long as there's love it it's all OK!

The most amazing thing is that, some of these started off as properly-named submissions that were renamed to fit the current fad.

This is a media create thread
Instead of just going OH SO WEIRD JAPAN HAR HAR AHR HAR AHsd, let's look at a practical sales reason for why we have these names:

According to an interview with a publisher of light novels(I can find it if someone really wants the source) Book stores are just overflowing with books in the genre, unless your book is top no.1, not even the cover is going to be seen.

-The only thing that is going to be seen is the title spine on a book shelf. This makes intelligent marketers use absurdly stupid titles to get people to take a book off the shelf and look at it.
Admit it, if you were in a book store and saw a book with "Elementary School girls are fighting over me and it's getting out of hands", just in a WTF? type of way it would cause you to pick it up to see what it is.

The silly elementary school pretending to be pregnant scenes etc are because the marketers know the power of twitter nowadays and know it's a quick way to get free advertising.

Terrell

This thread is a fascinating case study on what happens when you put two, ordinarily completely separate GAF communities together in the same thread. The invaders are unable to resist marking their new territory, and the natives become infuriated as soon as they catch the sent of another pack's urine. The BBC should film this behavior for a documentary.
Marking their territory? Yeah, one could say that AnimeGAF is taking a piss on this thread.

I know everyone is talking about Sony needing to save the Vita, but to put it bluntly, what can they possibly do?

A price drop without games to back it up just looks like an act of desperation that may make the situation worse, and they don't have the kind of internal developers in the portable space that Nintendo does to take any of the momentum away from the 3DS or infuse enough life into the system.

I think that Sony's put themselves into a situation by letting Vita get to this point where any moves they make run the risk of being too little too late.

Terrell

It's gaining momentum. PSV is the only console out there to have increased its sales this week.

When your only options are to attempt climbing out of the hole you've dug or shatter your finger bones to keep digging past the bedrock you hit.... that's not positive momentum, that's inevitability.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
persona burn out? or were japanese players dissatisfied with the IS port?

The Japanese are just annoyed that Atlus refuses to release a proper Shin Megami Tensei console game or Persona 5 and instead kept doing this remakes remakes remakes and re-releases re-releases re-releases like they are totally creatively bankrupt.

Those Persona 2 EP sales aren't good news for Soul Hackers at all. I think we might be seeing the divide between the shrinking group of old-school faithful Atlus fans, and those who only care for the newer generation of Persona.

That just raises further questions, though. If the split is between "old-school faithful Atlus fans" and Persona 3+ fans, why aren't those old-school fans being... faithful? What's happened in the last six months to completely destroy their affection for and interest in Atlus' back catalog?

Given the situation, it makes much more sense to me that platform transition is the biggest culprit here: a lot of people probably switched from a PSP to a 3DS in the interim (for Monster Hunter), a few others probably switched to Vita (say, for P4G) in which case they'd only be buying PSP games in digital form now, and others simply aren't buying handheld software at the moment.

I guess we'll see what happens when it comes out, but I honestly expect Soul Hackers to do noticeably better, not present a continued decline.

I was talking to Segata at the time the thread went up and we both pretty much agreed that this is more indicative of the decline of the PSP and the generally depressed market than a reflection of the software. I just don't think there are many engaged PSP owners, looking for something new to buy. If we further assume that those people who have bought Vitas are some of the "higher-end" PSP owners, they're also removed from the picture, because they'll never buy retail software again.

Yep PSP market is fading. Whoever didn't jump to PSV/3DS will suffer altrough with P2 being port of PS2 game Atlus probably is still profitable with 20-30k sales.

Hopefully it won't stop them from releasing it in west.

duckroll

I guess we'll see what happens when it comes out, but I honestly expect Soul Hackers to do noticeably better, not present a continued decline.

I expect Soul Hackers to do better (than this) too. But what I gather from this is that there is enough of an obvious decline from P2IS that I think Soul Hackers' potential success is limited anyway, since there isn't a very big audience for the older games anymore.

luca1980

Banned
FF is still big enough that it'll move units, not save the system, but it's better medicine for the wound then Person 4 or anything else currently announced will do.
By the time se can actually release a ff on vita the system will be already dead given the time it takes for Se nowadays to develop a game lol

muu

Can't tell what the fuss is about animeGAF and all -- I turn off all images and avatars and click on images to view them. Habit I picked up after visiting forums where folks decided to insert 500x500 images in their sigs.

This is a media create thread
Instead of just going OH SO WEIRD JAPAN HAR HAR AHR HAR AHsd, let's look at a practical sales reason for why we have these names:

According to an interview with a publisher of light novels(I can find it if someone really wants the source) Book stores are just overflowing with books in the genre, unless your book is top no.1, not even the cover is going to be seen.

-The only thing that is going to be seen is the title spine on a book shelf. This makes intelligent marketers use absurdly stupid titles to get people to take a book off the shelf and look at it.
Admit it, if you were in a book store and saw a book with "Elementary School girls are fighting over me and it's getting out of hands", just in a WTF? type of way it would cause you to pick it up to see what it is.

The silly elementary school pretending to be pregnant scenes etc are because the marketers know the power of twitter nowadays and know it's a quick way to get free advertising.

Indeed, the most disturbing thing was that most of those titles I listed up were in their 4th or 5th in the series. Pretty significant considering that an unsuccessful light novel can and will be killed within the first few releases. Though disheartening it is fascinating to see the regression of titles and covers with these books -- what you mention w/ the titles on the spine makes perfect sense, and we've also seen covers go from elaborate fantasy novel covers to eye-catchers with little more than (one of) the heroine on the cover.

It will be interesting to see if they end up going full circle with the cover art (and titles) eventually -- you can only have so many of those ridiculous titles before people start glazing past it.

The Japanese are just annoyed that Atlus refuses to release a proper Shin Megami Tensei console game or Persona 5 and instead kept doing this remakes remakes remakes and re-releases re-releases re-releases like they are totally creatively bankrupt.

i'd be happy if this is the case, but the best persona game deserves better.

Kenka

That just raises further questions, though. If the split is between "old-school faithful Atlus fans" and Persona 3+ fans, why aren't those old-school fans being... faithful? What's happened in the last six months to completely destroy their affection for and interest in Atlus' back catalog?

Given the situation, it makes much more sense to me that platform transition is the biggest culprit here: a lot of people probably switched from a PSP to a 3DS in the interim (for Monster Hunter), a few others probably switched to Vita (say, for P4G) in which case they'd only be buying PSP games in digital form now, and others simply aren't buying handheld software at the moment.

I would actually place "vaporware-driven issue" above the platform transition problem.
What happened to the Persona game for 3DS ?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Persona on 3DS can still happen, we are still early in this Gen.

Kenka

Why don't you ask Nintendo? Atlus never announced any such thing.
duckie, maybe it's me but I think you are quite strict when it comes to what I say in those threads.
I don't mind it though, I would even say I love it when you thrust your red shiny feathers against me ;-)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Let's put a Sony style spin on the Vita numbers eh? Vita is outselling the top selling console of the current generation.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That list is coming from Nintendo, Atlus never formally announced a Persona game for the 3DS. It's like saying MH will be coming for the Vita with that pamphlet Sony released.

You really think Nintendo would include games that weren't planned at some point in agreement with 3rd Party publishers ? Atlus and Co. would deny those projects immediately.

Maybe the 3DS Persona title was canceled or will never be announced/released - but i doubt they would let Nintendo release such information without their okay.

Top Bottom