• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2013 (Jun 10 - Jun 16)

Usobuko

Banned
Even if Xbone is the Xbox 360 number 2, they need more than obscure exclusive JRPG ( New IPs in some cases ) to handle Japan market climate. Microsoft did try for 360 but nowhere near what's required.

What the hell is going on with Japan's gaming market? 3DS is doing OK, but it's definitely not carrying the slack for the rest.

You clearly haven't heard the pre-order news for MH4.... Its gonna be insane. The 3DS will light up the charts starting in September and then Pokemon X/Y... Its just a matter of time

edit: It might not reach DS levels but it will definitely dominate everything else.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably not for long: they've already registered the trademark of DQM2, it should mean the remake is coming.

I have a hunch that this might be the end of the Gyrozetter franchise however.

*Adds game to long list of one-off new IPs from Square Enix since the 7th gen launched*

Thanks.

I wonder if MH4 and Pokemon X/Y can change things in 3DS' favor.

Not even a .1% chance. The DS went into a beast mode that we will never see again so the 3DS would need to start averaging over 100k a week to even have a chance. Not even MH4 and Pokemon will do that.

Even if Xbone is the Xbox 360 number 2, they need more than obscure exclusive JRPG ( New IPs in some cases ) to handle Japan market climate. Microsoft did try for 360 but nowhere near what's required.

They won't even try. Hell they don't seem to care about big chunks of Europe let alone Japan.

LayLa

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne 245,520
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey 136,149
Shin Megami Tensei IV 241.670

next week then?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

*Adds game to long list of one-off new IPs from Square Enix since the 7th gen launched*

Hopefully this will push them to go again with their most successfull recent new IP.
Bravely Default 2 please.

Btw, people still "hoping" or just "looking" for DS numbers for the 3DS will have a bad time.
And this is something everybody should understand for the market/industry, not only for the 3DS-DS Japanese comparison.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

That's almost for sure. I remember asking about Gyrozetter's relevance in Japan, and people answered it wasn't that popular to begin with.

Seeing such sales, i fear for the future of gaming(Consoles specifically) in Japan :(

I mean the Nintendo Wii U is already close to dead. PS3 never did hot either. PS4 so far seems to be heavily focused on the western market

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hopefully this will push them to go again with their most successfull recent new IP.
Bravely Default 2 please.

Btw, people still "hoping" or just "looking" for DS numbers for the 3DS will have a bad time.
And this is something everybody should understand for the market/industry, not only for the 3DS-DS Japanese comparison.

They have definitely been saying more Bravely Default is in the works.

It seems the trick to survival is originally being an FF game and then getting rebranded.

That's almost for sure. I remember asking about Gyrozetter's relevance in Japan, and people answered it wasn't that popular to begin with.
Yes this was Square Enix unsuccessfully trying to force their way into the Transformers market.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They have definitely been saying more Bravely Default is in the works.

It seems the trick to survival is originally being an FF game and then getting rebranded.

My fear is, you know. iOS.
Don't want to derail the thread, I just hope to see them going ahead also with portable market (in the home market they already confirmed their "usuale" effort I think).
Seeing BDFF2, DQM2 remake and, sooner or later, DQ11 on 3DS would give me hope.

Seeing such sales, i fear for the future of gaming(Consoles specifically) in Japan :(
I mean the Nintendo Wii U is already close to dead. PS3 never did hot either. PS4 so far seems to be heavily focused on the western market

I think that the industry is entering a period of general LTD HW-SW decrease, not only the home market in Japan.

hiska-kun

Donkey Kong (Wii) VS Luigi's Mansion 2

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |[B]Donkey Kong Returns[/B]| [B]Luigi’s Mansion 2[/B] |  [B]Difference[/B]  |
|    | [WII] (2010/12/09)| [3DS] (2013/03/20)|              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | DKR – LM2    |
|  1 |  163.310|  163.310|  280.151|  280.151|       116.841|
|  2 |  152.990|  316.300|  110.840|  390.991|        74.691|
|  3 |  214.518|  530.818|   68.423|  459.413|       -71.405|  
|  4 |  107.487|  638.305|   56.562|  515.975|      -122.330| 
|  5 |   66.551|  704.856|   41.296|  557.271|      -147.585|  
|  6 |   29.412|  734.268|   38.884|  596.155|      -138.113|  
|  7 |   20.411|  754.679|   64.420|  660.575|       -94.104|  
|  8 |   19.214|  773.893|   31.345|  691.921|       -81.972|  
|  9 |   16.493|  790.386|   20.304|  712.225|       -78.161| 
| 10 |   15.971|  806.357|   19.079|  731.304|       -75.053|
| 11 |   10.824|  817.181|   19.649|  750.953|       -66.228|
| 12 |    9.913|  827.094|   15.759|  766.712|       -60.382|
| 13 |    8.836|  835.930|   14.949|  781.660|       -54.270|
| 14 |    7.919|  843.848|         |         |              |
| 15 |    7.490|  851.339|         |         |              |
| 16 |    8.526|  859.865|         |         |              |
| 17 |    6.260|  866.125|         |         |              |
| 18 |    5.120|  871.245|         |         |              |
| 19 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 20 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 21 |        -|  884.002|         |         |              |
| 22 |    8.944|  892.946|         |         |              |
| 23 |    3.356|  896.302|         |         |              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  |
|  1 |  638.305|  638.305|  781.660|  781.660|       143.355|
|  2 |  314.399|  952.704|        -|        -|             -|
|  3 |   17.517|  970.221|        -|        -|             -|
| LTD|        -|  970.221|        -|  781.660|      -188.561|     
-------------------------------------------------------------

CassSept

These are some terrible numbers for everyone. With sales like this I wouldn't say "everything is dead but 3DS", even it is doing BAD for the system.

Those software sales are constantly horrible, every week now. Only Top 5 being 10k+, Top10 dipping below 5k, madness.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Donkey Kong (Wii) VS Luigi's Mansion 2

I was just posting that LM2 seems to me the DKCR of the 3DS (and "old" IP relaunched we surprisingly positive market reception).
Doese anyone else think that it could reach the million mark?

So Dragon Ball Heroes on 3DS overtook Dragon Ball Origins and is now the 8th highest selling DB game since long ago going by Garaph's Famitsu numbers, now over 215k.

And BN announces a DB game for PS3/360/Vita, which if it's based on that arcade game, is no surprise it's not on 3DS (recall it being made on PS3 hardware, and we ALL saw a home release of it coming).

I DO NOT see any version coming close to Dragon Ball Heroes' numbers, at least on Vita, no way in hell. And actually, I'd say it's guaranteed to not reach it on PS360, because the highest number on either platform is Burst Limit PS3 (the first HD DB game even) at 163k, just wow.

I don't know if the stars aligned for DBH on 3DS or the fanbase really flocked to 3DS, but whatever the case, it's just ENORMOUS. o_O

I was just posting that LM2 seems to me the DKCR of the 3DS (and "old" IP relaunched we surprisingly positive market reception).
Doese anyone else think that it could reach the million mark?

Only a matter of time, I think. I couldn't be happier about the way it has performed already, though.

L Thammy

All charts launch-aligned. All data from Famitsu.
Weekly numbers presented in logarithmic base 1,000 for clarity. In that case, zero units are represented by one unit.

gy3yMuJ.png

eRB8XEm.png

bbV6PLE.png

hXLIWck.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 30 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 30.

SJJ4V7D.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 30 for each week.
Certain weeks may have titles that aren't represented. These are the PS3's 7th and 25th, and the Wii's 4th and 23rd.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Only a matter of time, I think. I couldn't be happier about the way it has performed already, though.

Oh, yes, that's for sure, it's more a matter of "milestone" than actual success or not.
And I think that Nintendo is really happy about its sales worldwide, not only Japan.

About the new L5 and Capcom games, I don't think that Gyrozzetter results are mandatory examples of what the other two will perform. I mean: each and every project has its own strenghts (in terms of appeal, quality, promotional push and so on), and I don't think that the 3DS has "standard" problems in seeing successfull projects in terms of anime/games/comics demographics propositions

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Don't want to derail the thread, I just hope to see them going ahead also with portable market (in the home market they already confirmed their "usuale" effort I think).

That Tabata (CC/T3B/Type-0) is now on FFXV and Yasue (Portable KH) is on KH3 makes me continue to wonder about handheld output outside of Dragon Quest and Bravely Default.

I feel their survey suggests there's at least one more Bravely Default 3DS game coming though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

DQM2 remake and DQ11 will certainly be on 3DS, Bravely Default 2 as well, not worried about them at all. But probably we won't see lots and lots of SE projects (both known and brand new IPs) like in the DS days. ;_;

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That Tabata (CC/T3B/Type-0) is now on FFXV and Yasue (Portable KH) is on KH3 makes me continue to wonder about handheld output outside of Dragon Quest and Bravely Default.

I feel their survey suggests there's at least one more Bravely Default 3DS game coming though.

Me too I expect BDFF and DQ as 3DS efforts, and FFHD on Vita, nothing more.

They're definitely scaling back their handheld output, so all the usual stuff they did on DS/PSP will instead go the iOS route. 3DS will mostly be a DQ machine for them outside of the BD sequel and PSV will get the odd FF title here and there (I'm assuming they'll bring back Dissidia and they'll probably do FFXII HD, too).

Foshy

17./23. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800) - 2.463 / 4.376 (+29%)

Will be interesting to observe this in the following weeks.

Madao

On the top of DK. Has any Metroid game sold as much as Donkey Kong Country Returns?

well, those opening sales of DKCR3D already blew past all the LTDs of every Metroid Prime game in japan (and Other M too since that sold as much as mp1 there. around 79k)

What? Super Metroid did NOT sell 1m in Japan and didn't even cross 2m LTD WW.
Hmm shit you're right, I'm mistaking it for DKC lol. Well it sold 780k in Japan, pretty good sales.

Me too I expect BDFF and DQ as 3DS efforts, and FFHD on Vita, nothing more.
This is a bit of an over reaction...One game flopped and one underperformed a bit (KH), doesn't mean SE won't support the system anymore.

Top Bottom