• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2015 (Jun 08 - Jun 14)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm confused how it could be a translation error given the context.

Like I wouldn't expect someone to sit there in 2009 going "If we started for Wii now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's 3DS console." because the handhelds aren't normally seen as equivalents of the consoles.

Well, it's entirely possible that Nintendo, in the future, will see them as equivalent. No, better explanation: they won't see a difference at all, if not just for the form factor. Starting now, 3 years, mean 2018, and that would be a bit after the NX home device (potentially) hits the market, a year after the NX handheld device.

Tapejara

Those PS4 numbers...

Also, that's a really disappointing debut for Alien: Isolation. Did the game get a PS3 release? I'd imagine that would have fared better.

duckroll

Like I wouldn't expect someone to sit there in 2009 going "If we started for Wii now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's 3DS console." because the handhelds aren't normally seen as equivalents of the consoles.

Maybe he said "Nintendo's next console" and it was assumed as NX. :p

Vena

If they are one and the same, effectively, what else would you call them?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As you well know, this whole E3 bummed me out, lol. I am trying to perk myself back up with some humor!

Splatoon... wooo, I guess.

Oregano

Maybe I'm missing something but what he said only implies it will succeed Wii U, not that it won't succeed 3DS.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm now almost 100% convinced that it will. XV still seems to be lost, and I wouldn't be surprised if it undergoes further major changes. Kingdom Hearts III next year, XV in 2017.

I mean, in retrospective, I think SE realized as such; hence the change of directors.

I think they view Nomura as an SE asset and would rather have him dedicated two two projects (KH3 & FFVII), rather than one plagued with development problems.

As you well know, this whole E3 bummed me out, lol. I am trying to perk myself back up with some humor!

Splatoon... wooo, I guess.

I was taken aback too, I'm sure you know that too :p

At least we have Splatoon, woot!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Mobius went up again. Doesn't look like it's fire bombing off the charts.

mobius2oukiq.png

Wiggy

I think squeenix had a pretty decent show, but they really need to work on their press conference style. And revealing a game with concept art is just stupid.

The Last Guardian is just the tip of the iceburg with regards to Japan Studio PS4 games, the only question is when are they coming out/going to be revealed.

Nintendo was mixed for me 3ds good / wii u bad.

Platinum was probably the real winner though, games everywhere. How large are they? I dont know how they can take on so many projects, hope it wont hurt their quality.

Mory Dunz

Seems like 3DS has a decent lineup for the rest of the year in Japan.

I guess the Wii U as well.

Well, in numbers it does. Dunno if any of these will sell well
Devil's third
Yoshi
SMT FE
AC party game
Star Fox
Mario Tennis

Mario Maker will sell for sure though

Vena

AC party game
Super Mario Maker

Anecdotally speaking, AC:AF was a big hit with my friend and her girlfriends. I think this is for three reasons: they hate Mario Party 10, they want a party/boardgame, and Isabelle.

Of note, though, none of them were expecting a new AC game to begin with with AC:HHD coming soon and NL still selling well. I think they entirely consider (or considered) the franchise to be for the 3DS and this was a nice surprise for them.

Everyone wants Super Mario Maker. That will sell gangbusters.

Arzehn

"Project Setsuna" ("consoles"): Your guess is as good as mine. It's a new studio making a new IP RPG that's supposed to harken back to older times and they seem to be using Unity as an engine (so probably not regular 3DS, but everything else is at least hypothetically possible). Their game releases in 2016.

I believe they specifically mentioned console RPGs.

Also for Sony I'd like to add that Horizon is getting a lot of buzz right now. They are talking about how it's western Monster Hunter. Currently the top thread on esuteru (after FF7 fell off obviously).

Not saying it's going to be huge or anything, but it might do similar or even better than Destiny.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Seems like 3DS has a decent lineup for the rest of the year in Japan.

I guess the Wii U as well.

Well, in numbers it does. Dunno if any of these will sell well
Devil's third
Yoshi
SMT FE
AC party game
Star Fox
Mario Tennis

Mario Maker will sell for sure though

I think Yoshi will sell well enough. We saw the legs on the much inferior Yoshi's New Island on 3DS so I'd figure a very good Yoshi game on Wii U will get a bit of word of mouth. I'm thinking like 125K LTD or something.

Any thoughts on whether Zelda: Triforce Heroes might tap into the strong Monster Hunter crowd in Japan? Aka the folks who play co-op online multiplayer/local-multiplayer games on their 3DS? I kind of thought Smash 3DS also played against that crowd as well.

And yes, go Splatoon!

Takao

Banned
can i say that i find it amusing that square enix released final fantasy: not monster hunter edition on 3ds while final fantasy: not pokemon edition is on vita/ps4

Oregano

Ōkami;168712599 said:
So Bravely Second is dropping out of both charts without reaching the original's first week.

So much for a franchise.

It's a damn shame too, SE clearly weren't willing to throw the support behind it necessary to take it to the next level. I think Nirolak broke it down pretty well with his comparison to Fire Emblem.

Obviously pumping that money into a Nier sequel makes more sense.
It's awesome we're getting a Nier sequel!

Vena

Ōkami;168712599 said:
So Bravely Second is dropping out of both charts without reaching the original's first week.

So much for a franchise.

Squeenix knows how to kill a franchise.

It seems, to me, that some where around last year~ish (after their time in Nintendo's basket) they jumped into Sony's basket and are now throwing a ton of money at trying to either revive console hardware at home, or bank on success off of western penetration. A lot of nostalgia strings to pull on, too.

So games with promise like Bravely were basically throw aside because they don't really fit their new focus/narrative.

It's a damn shame too, SE clearly weren't willing to throw the support behind it necessary to take it to the next level. I think Nirolak broke it down pretty well with his comparison to Fire Emblem.

Obviously pumping that money into a Nier sequel makes more sense.
It's awesome we're getting a Nier sequel!

Nier was a bad game, and you should feel bad about liking it!

JRPG VS WRPG
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |    Xenoblade X    |   The Witcher 3   |  Difference  |
|    | [WIU] (2015/04/29)| [PS4] (2015/05/21)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    XX – TW3  | 
|  1 |   85.586|   85.586|   67.385|   67.385|        18.201| 
|  2 |   11.689|   97.275|   22.454|   89.839|         7.436| 
|  3 |    4.236|  101.511|   13.272|  103.111|        -1.600|  
|  4 |    2.625|  104.137|    8.723|  111.834|        -7.697| 
|Total        -|  104.137|        -|  111.834|        -7.697|      
-------------------------------------------------------------
TW3 just trucking on! :)

01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 157.591 / NEW
01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 155.784 / NEW <80-100%>

Nice. If only Rhythm Heaven was half as popular as this in the West...

03./01. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 53.198 / 266.929 (-23%)
03./01. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 60.175 / 298.549 <80-100%> (-26%)

Splatoon. You little beast. Showing those tentacles and keeping Wii-U at decent numbers.

Any idea when / if we'll get the digital sales numbers?

"Obsolescent" is written in huge letters on the wall. The NX Metroid comment is just another exclamation mark. And it's become increasingly clear that the NX thing is a replacement for both, while still predominantly focused on the handheld market. I don't know why anyone still refuses to read that writing.

At this point may as well be frank and just say that "NX" is, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo's soft exit from serving as a platform holder in the home console space. They'll have some sort of Ouya/Vita TV style box that allows you to basically play what is foremost a handheld library on a television screen. That's what the entrails tell me at least.

We should really start getting the list with names of people who bought a Xbox One in Japan soon, only a matter of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if those 100 consoles where bought by the entire Microsoft staff in Japan

Vena

"Obsolescent" is written in huge letters on the wall. The NX Metroid comment is just another exclamation mark. And it's become increasingly clear that the NX thing is a replacement for both, while still predominantly focused on the handheld market. I don't know why anyone still refuses to read that writing.

At this point may as well be frank and just say that "NX" is, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo's soft exit from serving as a platform holder in the home console space. They'll have some sort of Ouya/Vita TV style box that allows you to basically play what is foremost a handheld library on a television screen. That's what the entrails tell me at least.

In this day and age, outside of power restrictions, handheld and console games are effectively the same product (look at all the Vita/PS4/PS3 games) unless its a title specifically built around periodic or on-go mingling play (like Animal Cross). Whether Metroid or Monster Hunter or Smash or Mario Kart is on the handheld or on a console is hardly relevant in this day and age in terms of how it will play (appeal is a different story). We're no longer working with a GBA with some buttons and two shoulders, handhelds can be as robust as a full controller (and mostly are).

All the home box has to do is load in high-res/scaled textures and models, and everything can be built to be scalable.

Even under the premise of things controlling the same and games translating perfectly from a technical standpoint, this doesn't particularly amount to competing in a meaningful way for the global home dedicated market.

Essentially, the two are not mutually exclusive and/or why the qualifier "soft" is put before exit. Nintendo can release something Ouyaish that plugs into a television, or some handheld with TV-out function. They can still for all intents and purposes be exiting a space they can no longer compete in properly.

To put it another way, if all one had to do to compete in the home segment was to release a set-top box with mobile parts, then that's what everyone would be doing as it would require significantly less capital.

mclem

I need to know, what's the margin of error? Is it possible that 0 Xbones were sold?

I would assume that if they get no sales listed from their polling, they'd actually report zero. Sure, there's some number juggling to map the limited sample up to the entire marketplace in general, but when there is no sales within the sample, I'd assume that the statistician would have to default to a zero. And possibly demand a more precise sample.

In this day and age, outside of power restrictions, handheld and console games are effectively the same product (look at all the Vita/PS4/PS3 games) unless its a title specifically built around periodic or on-go mingling play (like Animal Cross). Whether Metroid or Monster Hunter or Smash or Mario Kart is on the handheld or on a console is hardly relevant in this day and age in terms of how it will play (appeal is a different story). We're no longer working with a GBA with some buttons and two shoulders, handhelds can be as robust as a full controller (and mostly are).

All the home box has to do is load in high-res/scaled textures and models, and everything can be built to be scalable.

The major limitations on mobile performence are heat production/energy consumption. If neither were a concern, it would be a fairly simple matter for Nintendo to get a custom version of a mobile GPU that was capable of performing at a vastly higher level when plugged in than when used on battery. Which is actually what I suspect they may do. While I would be shocked if they used Android for security reasons, I could see them using generic parts, though I suspect them of being more likely to go for downscale laptop ones than phone. I think Nintendo has been badly burned for the second generation in a row by operating at a fundamentally different power/architectural level than the rest of the market/PC, and I think they won't want to do that again.

Even under the premise of things controlling the same and games translating perfectly from a technical standpoint, this doesn't particularly amount to competing in a meaningful way for the global home dedicated market.

Essentially, the two are not mutually exclusive and/or why the qualifier "soft" is put before exit. Nintendo can release something Ouyaish that plugs into a television, or some handheld with TV-out function. They can still for all intents and purposes be exiting a space they can no longer compete in properly.

To put it another way, if all one had to do to compete in the home segment was to release a set-top box with mobile parts, then that's what everyone would be doing as it would require significantly less capital.

I really hope you are right about this direction

I really wan't to play things like Pokemon on a TV screen my vision is poor and would love to play more 3DS type games

hopefully the power is still high enough for 1080p on TV

hiska-kun

01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 157.591 / NEW
01./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 155.784 / NEW <80-100%>

Nice. If only Rhythm Heaven was half as popular as this in the West...

03./01. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 53.198 / 266.929 (-23%)
03./01. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 60.175 / 298.549 <80-100%> (-26%)

Splatoon. You little beast. Showing those tentacles and keeping Wii-U at decent numbers.

Any idea when / if we'll get the digital sales numbers?

Famitsu estimations will come out by the end of July

I think the major benefit for Nintendo would be the focusing of resources on one platform that they could support massively. If Nintendo had only one platform to support, there would be a much more consistent stream of games and content from their development studios. Personally that would be better for me, I feel split between too many consoles right now as it is, so Nintendo having only one would be a huge positive (though if it was flexible in being mobile/home that would be ideal).

mao2

Looks like we might be getting more Dragon Quest games on PS4.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-heroes-localization-could-mean-more-d/1100-6428298/
When asked if Square Enix could bring more Dragon Quest games West if Heroes sold well, producer Ryota Aomi was optimistic. He also said developers plan to leverage the PS4's popularity to create more new Dragon Quest in their native Japan.

"We really are looking to expand on the series in a number of different ways, and we're not just looking to expand into North American but more in Asia as well," he said through a translator. "Using the PlayStation platform is one big way of doing that. So we'll look at how the game does and how that's working, and then maybe use that to think seriously about which of the previous Dragon Quest titles we want to bring out to other regions."

Top Bottom