• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

BurntPork said:
Yeah. I know it's too much of a risk. At the same time, it's probably being severely overproduced right now. They want to ship 16 million worldwide this fiscal year. At the current pace, they'll be lucky to ship 5 million, so production is going to end up so slow that they might as well bring it to a halt. If the price drop and MK7 don't work, chances are that they'll be forced to permanently halt production by March anyway. I can already say with absolute certainty that the price cut was a bust in the US because they didn't even try to advertise it. Maybe it's better in Japan, though. I guess we'll see.

You don't think that Vita is going to have supply issues?

It's a $250 handheld releasing outside of the holiday season with no multimillion selling franchise exclusive at launch....

No, no it's not going to sell out at launch unless Sony ships an incredibly low number.

BurntPork

Banned
Alrus said:
That sure worked for the 360...
Well, that never stood a chance in Japan. Seriously, I don't even know why MS still bothers there.

AceBandage said:
It's a $250 handheld releasing outside of the holiday season with no multimillion selling franchise exclusive at launch....

No, no it's not going to sell out at launch unless Sony ships an incredibly low number.
I'm mostly talking about Japan. And actually, yeah. I do think that Sony is going to have trouble producing it. In fact, I believe that's the whole reason for the delay outside of Japan. However, I do admit that it probably won't sell out outside of Japan.

BurntPork said:
Well, that never stood a chance in Japan. Seriously, I don't even know why MS still bothers there.

I'm mostly talking about Japan. And actually, yeah. I do think that Sony is going to have trouble producing it. In fact, I believe that's the whole reason for the delay outside of Japan. However, I do admit that it probably won't sell out outside of Japan.

And you really think that's going to do Sony any favors?
They'll just hop over to the 3DS which will have some pretty good software at that point, rather than wait for the Vita.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
And you really think that's going to do Sony any favors?
They'll just hop over to the 3DS which will have some pretty good software at that point, rather than wait for the Vita.
We'll see. However, I don't see enough overlap between the audiences for that to have a significant effect.

Just to note, I think 3DS will outsell Vita this holiday either way, since Sony probably can't even ship enough to beat them.

onipex

BurntPork said:
At the current pace, they'll be lucky to ship 5 million, so production is going to end up so slow that they might as well bring it to a halt.

So you just have no idea what you are talking about , or is this a joke?

BurntPork

Banned
onipex said:
So you just have no idea what you are talking about , or is this a joke?
They shipped 0.71 million in the last quarter. And by "current pace," I mean if the price cut and Mario Kart 7 don't have a strong, lasting effect.

BurntPork said:
They shipped 0.71 million in the last quarter. And by "current pace," I mean if the price cut and Mario Kart 7 don't have a strong, lasting effect.
only because it was overshipped in the previous quarter

BurntPork

Banned
frankie_baby said:
only because it was overshipped in the previous quarter
Ah. Good point. Still, 16 million is impossible. I'd say 12 million if the price cut and Mario Kart 7 get sales going, and 6-8 million if they don't. Just guesses, nothing more.

BurntPork said:
Ah. Good point. Still, 16 million is impossible. I'd say 12 million if the price cut and Mario Kart 7 get sales going, and 6-8 million if they don't. Just guesses, nothing more.
i dont think 16 million is likely but dont forget the price cut will pretty much kill regular ds sales so therre's a chance

Rolf NB

BurntPork said:
To absorb development resources that would otherwise provide growth for other platforms.

BurntPork

Banned
Alrus said:
Ok again with your doom and gloom.... What are you basing this on? We don't even have any data for post price cut sales anywhere. Your act is getting pretty old. You can say with "Certainty" that US price drop was a bust? Really? If you have numbers we don't have, by all mean share them...

And Mario Kart "failing" is as ridiculous as people saying MW3 will see a drop in sales compared to its predecessor, it won't happen.
That's not what I believe will happen. I'm saying "if" it happens. And Mario Kart 7 could fail if Nintendo fails to advertise it. They haven't advertised the price cut in the US at all.

BurntPork said:
That's not what I believe will happen. I'm saying "if" it happens. And Mario Kart 7 could fail if Nintendo fails to advertise it. They haven't advertised the price cut in the US at all.
did they really need to advertise the price cut straight away though, sales will be vastly increased no matter what and as the initial boom slows down advertise the shit out of it then

Alrus

BurntPork said:

Nintendo failing to advertise a new Mario Kart, one of their biggest franchise, will never happen. That's like wondering if Microsoft will fail to advertise Halo 4...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Alrus said:
Nintendo failing to advertise a new Mario Kart, one of their biggest franchise, will never happen. That's like wondering if Microsoft will fail to advertise Halo 4...

Well,it'also true that they failed advertising rightly the 3DS after launch... but I don't think they will fail with MK7 and/or SM3DLand.

Alrus

Mpl90 said:
Well,it'also true that they failed advertising rightly the 3DS after launch... but I don't think they will fail with MK7 and/or SM3DLand.

I don't see how they could fuck up MK and Mario Land advertising like they did with the 3DS... It would be a pretty great feat.

BurntPork

Banned
frankie_baby said:
did they really need to advertise the price cut straight away though, sales will be vastly increased no matter what and as the initial boom slows down advertise the shit out of it then
They didn't even push retailers that hard to show that the price was cut in my experience. I went to three different stores with the 3DS yesterday, and not one showed the new price price in any significant way. The GameStop I went to didn't show it at all! A price cut can't boost sales if no one knows it happened.

Alrus said:
They barely advertised the 3DS at launch. :/ NoA's current advertising department isn't even trying and everyone there needs to be fired. I can only hope that it's better in Japan.

Fularu

Banned
frankie_baby said:
All the flyers I recieved this week from electronic and video game stores had the new 3DS price point on their front page.

Hell even supermarkets selling video games ran special adds about the new 3DS price and we're just two days in.

BurntPork said:
They didn't even push retailers that hard to show that the price was cut in my experience. I went to three different stores with the 3DS yesterday, and not one showed the new price. A price cut can't boost sales if no one knows it happened.
really ooh didnt realise things were that bad

edit - or probably not

Alrus

BurntPork said:
They didn't even push retailers that hard to show that the price was cut in my experience. I went to three different stores with the 3DS yesterday, and not one showed the new price. A price cut can't boost sales if no one knows it happened.

Anecdotal evidences.

BurntPork

Banned
frankie_baby said:
really ooh didnt realise things were that bad
Actually, I should have said barely, since they did have it half-hidden, except for the GameStop that still had "$249.99" everywhere. Fucking GameStop. How does GameStop not show it at all? I had to stop myself from asking for the manager so I could facepalm right in front of him.

onipex

BurntPork said:

Ah, I take it you were only talking about Japan than. See when you mentioned the 16 millin goal before saying they will not reach 5 I thought you meant ww.

BurntPork

Banned
onipex said:
Ah, I take it you were only talking about Japan than. See when you mentioned the 16 millin goal before saying they will not reach 5 I thought you meant ww.
I did mean worldwide. They shipped 710k worldwide last quarter.

test_account

XP-39C²
frankie_baby said:
i dont think 16 million is likely but dont forget the price cut will pretty much kill regular ds sales so therre's a chance
I wonder how much the new 3DS price will affect the sales of older DS model. Where i live, the DSi is about 30% cheaper than the 3DS. The DSXL is about 10% cheaper than the 3DS. So if someone is mostly looking at price, it would be cheapest to buy a DSi here.

test_account said:
I wonder how much the new 3DS price will affect the sales of older DS model. Where i live, the DSi is about 30% cheaper than the 3DS. The DSXL is about 10% cheaper than the 3DS.
lack of an official price drop on the older ones will probably kill them, i'd expect a halt to production and a fire sale over xmas

BurntPork

Banned
test_account said:
I wonder how much the new 3DS price will affect the sales of older DS model. Where i live, the DSi is about 30% cheaper than the 3DS. The DSXL is about 10% cheaper than the 3DS. So if someone is mostly looking at price, it would be cheapest to buy a DSi here.
Wooooooow. They're doing the price cut wrong in your area.

test_account

XP-39C²
frankie_baby said:
lack of an official price drop on the older ones will probably kill them, i'd expect a halt to production and a fire sale over xmas
Yeah, that might be. Although the PS2 was in production for years after the PS3 came out, so who knows how long the DS will be in production.

BurntPork said:
Wooooooow. They're doing the price cut wrong in your area.
I did check the DSi prices in another store chain and there is was a bit more expencive. Although it was still cheaper than the 3DS, maybe around 15-20% cheaper. But the 3DS did get about a 30% pricedrop where i live, so percentage wise it is almost an equal pricedrop compared to other places in the world :)

test_account said:
Yeah, that might be. Although the PS2 was in production for years after the PS3 came out, so who knows how long the DS will be in production.
cause it was several times less expensive than PS3 -_-

test_account

XP-39C²
walking fiend said:
cause it was several times less expensive than PS3 -_-
Sure, but i dont think that is the only reason. I think the main reason is because the PS2 was still quite popular even after the PS3 came out, so it was still money to be made from the PS2. I wonder if something similar can happen to the DS. Although i agree to that it might be more likely that Nintendo cuts of the DS production sooner than later.

test_account said:
Sure, but i dont think that is the only reason. I think the main reason is because the PS2 was still quite popular even after the PS3 came out, so it was still money to be made from the PS2. I wonder if something similar can happen to the DS. Although i agree to that it might be more likely that Nintendo cuts of the DS production sooner than later.
with such a minimal difference in price between the 2 it'd probably make nintendo more money to rationalise production down to just the 3ds than it would keeping the regular ones on the market

test_account

XP-39C²
frankie_baby said:
with such a minimal difference in price between the 2 it'd probably make nintendo more money to rationalise production down to just the 3ds than it would keeping the regular ones on the market
If Nintendo doesnt drop the price on their previous DS model within the next 2-3 months, the the production of those models are most likely stopped indeed.

I think they will eventually drop the price of DSi as well, but probably few months after holiday when they have pushed the 3DS and made a solid installed base for it.

test_account

XP-39C²
walking fiend said:
I think they will eventually drop the price of DSi as well, but probably few months after holiday when they have pushed the 3DS and made a solid installed base for it.
Yeah, i also guess it depends on how much DSi and DSXL stock they have left. If they have much stock left, they might drop the price even if they have stopped production.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BurntPork said:
They didn't even push retailers that hard to show that the price was cut in my experience. I went to three different stores with the 3DS yesterday, and not one showed the new price price in any significant way. The GameStop I went to didn't show it at all! A price cut can't boost sales if no one knows it happened.
There was a big sign in the window of my Gamestop that said "3DS NOW $169.99".

wrowa

BurntPork said:
For one, advertising a price cut before it actually happened isn't the best idea. That's just confusing for the consumer -- "we are cutting the price BUT you still have to pay the old price if you buy it now!". But that's not all. The price cut itself isn't all that important. Nintendo cut the price in anticipation of the holidays, not because they hope for great sales today. Right now the 3DS still has the problem that it's quite frankly missing games.

Mpl90

Now, just to talk about something else, do you think that RT can do 100k this week,thanks to Obon?
Seeing its legs, I think it could do it.

Mpl90 said:
Now, just to talk about something else, do you think that RT can do 100k this week,thanks to Obon?
Seeing its legs, I think it could do it.
Not only do I think RHWii could top 100k, with the talk of Monhun Nikki G's overshipped/slow start I think it might even be the top game for the week.

I also wonder if Wii will outsell PS3 this week?

Road

Code:
HARDWARE
		     Shipped  Sold-through	
North America*		1.43	  0.92		64%
Japan			1.27	  1.19		94%

SOFTWARE
		     Shipped  Sold-through	
North America		5.78        ** 
Japan			3.21	  1.86		58%

Numbers by the end of June. (I know this isn't a 100% valid comparison, but it is illustrative.)

*I'm guessing Canada as 10% of US sales.

**Out of my ass: probably not even half of what has been shipped.

Mpl90

lunchwithyuzo said:
Not only do I think RHWii could top 100k, with the talk of Monhun Nikki G's overshipped/slow start I think it might even be the top game for the week.

I also wonder if Wii will outsell PS3 this week?

PS3 has nothing this week, and Nintendo consoles are normally the most helped by Holidays.
So... yes.
And MH this week could even be third, behind RH and Pokemon, seeing how it is selling BAD... at least for its shipment.
...By the way, do we have any info about MH shipment?

Road

Mpl90 said:
...By the way, do we have any info about MH shipment?
I don't. Did azalyn made any predictions?

In light of the price cuts, this being a Capcom game and the fact the first one shipped close to 300k first week with sell-through of over 90%, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial shipment for this version is over 300k (even if pre-orders were significantly lower).

Mpl90

Road said:
I don't. Did azalyn made any predictions?

In light of the price cuts, this being a Capcom game and the fact the first one shipped close to 300k first week with sell-through of over 90%, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial shipment for this version is over 300k (even if pre-orders were significantly lower).

I fear he didn't this time.
I remember only 100k of shipment for Pokemon forecasted by Sinobi.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN if it is really 300k... and seeing Amazon's behaviour, I fear it could be.

onken

Was browsing around Shibuya yesterday afternoon, lots of signage and posters for the price drop but no signs of stock issues or mad rushes or anything. Hopefully we're looking at sustained high sales rather than short-lived super-high sales.

Mpl90

Comgnet daily preorder chart

The rankings as of August 14, 2011 closed

[PS3] Tales of export Syria - 653pt
[PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - 193pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 145pt
[PS3] Dark Soul - 144pt
[PSP] Limited Edition Black ★ Rock Shooter THE GAME "White Premium BOX" - 137pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 106Pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest NES and SNES I · II · III Final Fantasy Anniversary 25 - 98pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Wars 2 - 95pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII Verusasu - 82Pt
[PS3] Super Dimensional mk2 Nu Geimu Constitution Neptun (Limited Edition) - 75pt
[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero Expressions - 71pt
[PSP] WRS Charm Limited Edition Black ★ Rock Shooter BOX THE GAME - 65pt
[PS3] Limited Box Shadow of the Colossus ICO / Wanda - 50pt
[PS3] hen I started de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. Append Edition limited quantity - 40pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol Limited Edition - 37pt
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Ambition of the new Gillen - 36pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 36pt
[PSP] Growlanser 4-over-RELOADED - 32pt
[PS3] Resident Evil Revival Selection HD Remastered Edition - 32pt
[PSP] Limited Edition Complete Book of the Pik locus Hero - 32pt

And the weekly chart!

Aggregate time ranking: 14 August 2011 ~ August 08, 2011

[PSP] G Airu Village Diary warm Monhan - 316pt
[PSP] Toriko Gourmet Survival! - 210pt
[Wii] Everybody's Rhythm Heaven - 188pt
[NDS] Atsumete! Kirby - 164pt
[3DS] Pokemon Super Scramble - 155pt
[PSP] J. LEAGUE Make Pro Soccer Club! 7 EURO PLUS - 95pt
[PSP] DX or pretend to be ~ ぽ Taiko no Tatsujin - 82pt