• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

allan-bh

I definitely see Persona 5 selling on 3DS more than in any other platform on Japan, although at the moment I don't believe it will be released for 3DS.

DR2K

Banned
I definitely see Persona 5 selling on 3DS more than in any other platform on Japan, although at the moment I don't believe it will be released for 3DS.

Being on the top platform doesn't automatically guarantee you sales. As seen with series that have sold more with lower install bases.

Being on the top platform doesn't automatically guarantee you sales. As seen with series that have sold more with lower install bases.

Pretty much. Persona's appeal only stretches to a point, and it's not to the point where the extra userbase matters or helps the title. The PS3 especially has more than enough an audience for Persona. Then there's the issue of how much of the target demographic is represented by the userbase.

kswiston

Persona 5 would sell better on PS3 than it would on 3DS, even if it's a 2014 title. Releasing on a home console also allows Atlus to port it to the Vita a year or two later for double dip sales.

PS3 would outsell it.

After the giant cocktease that was Catherine, ATLUS would piss a lot of people off putting Persona 5 on a handheld.

It won't be on 3DS. There's more of a chance of it being a 360 then on 3DS.

After how well P4G ended up selling on the Vita, it wouldn't surprise me if P5 was for the Vita personally.

Definitely not exclusive to Vita.

The persona fanbase has been built on Sony systems hence why it doesn't make sense to randomly throw P5 on 3DS unless it was multiplat with PS3

Although honestly the whiny little people in here that would probably get banned if it did happen almost makes me want to see it happen.

I like how the implication that Atlus isn't Capcom means that Capcom made some huge mistake in putting MH4 on 3DS.

The persona fanbase has been built on Sony systems hence why it doesn't make sense to randomly throw P5 on 3DS unless it was multiplat with PS3

Although honestly the whiny little people in here that would probably get banned if it did happen almost makes me want to see it happen.
PS3/Vita seems most likely.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I like how the implication that Atlus isn't Capcom means that Capcom made some huge mistake in putting MH4 on 3DS.

Heh, we all know there's, what, 90% of probability it's for PS3/PS4, but if P5 on 3DS happen, I'd seriously fear for explosions of all the servers in the world. :lol

QaaQer

I don't care where they put it as long as there is no in-game transactions or game breaking dlc, like there was in SMTIV.

ohlawd

I don't care where they put it as long as there is no in-game transactions or game breaking dlc, like there was in SMTIV.

It's an option to buy it, isn't it? Not like you were forced to buy it.

If there was a similar exp gaining DLC in P5, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Fuck dem dungeons, man. All in for the social links.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it's that hard to figure out.

Their internal engine was targeting PS3/360 level hardware, and they made Catherine as a dry run on HD development.

They then said the new engine should help speed up development on that team's next project.

Unless they canned what they had and moved platforms, the platform choice seems obvious.

Wasn't the same true also of MH?

The only reason for P5 to be on PS3 is if Atlus wants it to remain a console franchise.

Mpl90

Just for information: didn't the whole pre-TGS 2011 rumour list come from 2ch posters, actually? I remember also Persona 4 Golden and Tales of Innocence R got leaked there, separately from the big list, which included MH3G, Bayo 2, Warriors of Light 2 (Bravely Default), etc.

QaaQer

It's an option to buy it, isn't it? Not like you were forced to buy it.

Of course, and I'm weak and I know that. So yeah, if that is there then I'll probably skip it.

A better solution is just to put in an easy option for those who don't want the full challenge, not a nerf dlc. But of course, they could not charge for the easy option.

See Type 0 2 would not surprise me as that game is obviously not going to Vita with its western sales and the series isn't going to PS3 as it was started as a handheld spinoff franchise anyway. Bravely Default 2, Type 0 2, and Dragon Quest Monsters 2 remake would be the best lineup you could see from Square at this point.

See Type 0 2 would not surprise me as that game is obviously not going to Vita with its western sales and the series isn't going to PS3 as it was started as a handheld spinoff franchise anyway,

Square-Enix making a Type-0 2 (that isn't a cheap mobile knock off) would surprise the hell out of me. Though I do remember an interview a couple of months ago that they were interested in making a FF game for Vita, but those are just words.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just for information: didn't the whole pre-TGS 2011 rumour list come from 2ch posters, actually? I remember also Persona 4 Golden and Tales of Innocence R got leaked there, separately from the big list, which included MH3G, Bayo 2, Warriors of Light 2 (Bravely Default), etc.
Sure but anyone can post there.

If you want I can go post that Nintendo bought FFXV exclusivity on there and we can watch as it becomes a GAF thread and gets bandied around in Media Create.

The razor to use here is "Does this sound like a fan's dream?"

If yes, it's probably wrong.

Square-Enix making a Type-0 2 (that isn't a cheap mobile knock off) would surprise the hell out of me.

Yeah that's the only caveat, although to be fair Dragon Quest still is being made and a Bravely Default sequel, so its not like they have completely abandoned handhelds. Type 0 also sold a lot more than Bravely Default although the budget was likely higher as well.

Mpl90

Sure but anyone can post there.

If you want I can go post that Nintendo bought FFXV exclusivity on there and we can watch as it becomes a GAF thread and gets bandied around in Media Create.

That's why I asked earlier in this thread about WHO posted that rumour. :D

Wasn't the same true also of MH?

The only reason for P5 to be on PS3 is if Atlus wants it to remain a console franchise.

Persona is not as big as MH though. Capcom is targeting 3m+ for MH4, the only possible platform where they can sell that much on in Japan atm is the 3DS. They were kinda forced to move it to the 3DS if you ask me.

The same is not true for Persona games. Persona games usually sell in the 150-250k range apparently, they (Atlus) can easily sell that much on the PS3 or the Vita.

Prelude.

Who exactly said this?
It's a recurrent statement that keeps popping up. The latest example is allan-bh's "I definitely see Persona 5 selling on 3DS more than in any other platform".

I'm not implying anything, I just find it funny. Just like those who hope that the 2ch rumor is true even though Type-0-2's existence has already been deemed fake.

guek

Banned
If DQ can move to a nintendo handheld, I don't see why P5 couldn't. It's not probable but certainly possible. 2ch rumors though, those are completely worthless.

test_account

XP-39C²
Persona is not as big as MH though. Capcom is targeting 3m+ for MH4, the only possible platform where they can sell that much on in Japan atm is the 3DS. They were kinda forced to move it to the 3DS if you ask me.
I think MH4 was decided to be on 3DS before the 3DS was launched. I think it was a combination of a choice (DS being the most selling system in Japan of all time and the 3DS was the successor) and intensives/moneyhat from Nintendo.

If DQ can move to a nintendo handheld, I don't see why P5 couldn't. It's not probable but certainly possible. 2ch rumors though, those are completely worthless.

And lose the ability to sell it twice first as console version then as handheld rerelease ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally companies chase where they think their audience either is or is going.

With Persona it would still presumably be the audience who buys FF and Tales en masse, but if the PS4 tanks it would make sense to move Persona 6 to either the 3DS-2 or mobile depending on how the market shakes out.

As of today though the place with the biggest selling teen/young adult targeted JRPGs is the likely destination of Atlus' biggest JRPG that shares the same audience.

Mpl90

Bravely Default: For the Sequel is already 12th on Amazon.co.jp charts, and preorders started about 3 hours ago. Square's gonna be happy about this brand, again.

DaBoss

Until they destroy it with an iOS remake and a card browser game.

Why would an iOS remake or a card browser game destroy the series?

Final Fantasy franchise is still magnitues bigger than BD, come on now. That could happen (and it still would be far from sure) only if a main FF sells less than what BD sold in Japan (300k). And no, LR isn't a main FF. An in-between a spin-off and a main, maybe, but not a main at all.

*whoosh*

Mpl90

Time for them to leave the Final Fantasy brand to rest?

Final Fantasy franchise is still magnitues bigger than BD, come on now. That could happen (and it still would be far from sure) only if a main FF sells less than what BD sold in Japan (300k). And no, LR isn't a main FF. An in-between a spin-off and a main, maybe, but not a main at all.

Top Bottom