• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega basically has me confused. They seemed like they were trying to pare down their operations and focus on PC in the game space and far fewer franchises - i.e. only bigger sellers like Sonic, Football Manager and Total War.

And then they go and buy Index.

As for Konami, it really is sad. I wonder what would happen if Kojima left them.

I think it makes more sense if you consider Sega's press release for their old distribution agreement.

http://indexweb.jp/news/2012/news_20120217_01.html

Index Holdings announced today that starting from April 2012, they have entered into a distribution contract with Sega with regards to the retail distribution of games under the Atlus brand. There are no further details at the moment, but it seems that Sega will be helping Index distribute games released under the Atlus label in Japan in the retail market.

Edit: The last two lines of the press release states that by this agreement, Atlus hopes to leverage on Sega's larger domestic retail distribution network in Japan, while Sega plans to announce details of a diverse offering of various products leveraging on Atlus' strong IPs. This sounds like a sort of partnership that could indicate that Index Holdings is too small for Atlus' growing ambitions. Or... they're running out of money.

Basically I feel they view Atlus the same way they do Sonic or Miku, where they're not just games, but brands that they can make a huge variety of heavily targeted products for.

Now, obviously Sega doesn't own Miku, but with Sonic especially they make kids shows, comic books, and all sorts of merchandizing for the lucrative kids market. Miku is more the otaku (nerdy Japanese teens-to-young-adults, also lucrative), and I'm assuming they want to use Atlus' brands to target the otaku audience in the same way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also, I feel that if the Vita is ever replaced, something like this will most likely be the successor.

Basically it's a cheap ($150-$160), but powerful Android tablet with integrated controls that games can map to, and can run all Android apps.

Yoshida kind of implied this a few weeks ago when talking about the Vita's successor, noting how similar mobile devices and portable games consoles are becoming.

Vorg said:
This is the new JXD gaming tablet.

jxd_s7800_102.jpg

For some reason JXD decided to launch 2 models with different SoCs but on the outside they're exactly the same.

Model A comes with a 1Ghz Allwinner A31 Quad Core cpu, an SGX 544 mp2 gpu and 1 gb DDR3.
Model B comes with a 1.6Ghz Rockchip 3188 Quad Core cpu, a Mali 400 mp4 gpu and 2gb DDR3.

The price difference is minimal at 10 dollars. Model a is $159 and model b $169.

Both come with a 7 inch IPS screen, 8gb of internal memory, front and back cameras, front facing stereo speakers, micro SD card slot, HDMI out and android 4.2.2.

Also, through proprietary software, onscreen overlay controls in games can be translated to the physical controls.

Something like this could conceptually work for Nintendo as well, but I think they're far less likely to do it than Sony, who already makes lots of Android devices.

Thorgal

Also, I feel that if the Vita is ever replaced, something like this will most likely be the successor.

Basically it's a cheap ($150-$160), but powerful Android tablet with integrated controls that games can map to, and can run all Android apps.

Yoshida kind of implied this a few weeks ago when talking about the Vita's successor, noting how similar mobile devices and portable games consoles are becoming.

Something like this could conceptually work for Nintendo as well, but I think they're far less likely to do it than Sony, who already makes lots of Android devices.

If such a device is ever made i wonder what sort of games it will run.

Will it be the same Games that are currently made for IOS (BOF 6 . Tales of Link etc..) that Gaf seems to hate with a passion ?

Or will the games be made like the Current handheld games on Vita and 3DS ?

I think it makes more sense if you consider Sega's press release for their old distribution agreement.

Basically I feel they view Atlus the same way they do Sonic or Miku, where they're not just games, but brands that they can make a huge variety of heavily targeted products for.

Now, obviously Sega doesn't own Miku, but with Sonic especially they make kids shows, comic books, and all sorts of merchandizing for the lucrative kids market. Miku is more the otaku (nerdy Japanese teens-to-young-adults, also lucrative), and I'm assuming they want to use Atlus' brands to target the otaku audience in the same way.
Makes sense I guess, just read a Gamasutra article that suggested similar (although more unflatteringly described it as a strip-mining of Atlus IPs.)

Apparently there's already Persona pachinko.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If such a device is ever made i wonder what sort of games it will run.

Will it be the same Games that are currently made for IOS (BOF 6 . Tales of Link etc..) that Gaf seems to hate with a passion ?

Or will the games be made like the Current handheld games on Vita and 3DS ?

I would expect it to get directly targeted games that are like handheld games from a sub-set of devs (or at least targeted at controllers in general), and then most of the games (since there's a ton of Android volume) would be regular Android games.

Makes sense I guess, just read a Gamasutra article that suggested similar (although more unflatteringly described it as a strip-mining of Atlus IPs.)

Apparently there's already Persona pachinko.

Right, Index was trying this already, because they were a multimedia company, but they didn't have the money to really do it.

Good to be back to Media Create. There's like 100 pages of stuff I wanted to say but just want to hit a few points

1. Holy shit at Monster Hunter. It did extremely well. Hopefully with it doing well the sort of spiteful attitude I've seen goes away as it seem somewhat like people were waiting for it to fail. Props to Iwata and crew for making Capcom happy even though I don't think Capcom needed money to drop the PS portables, but.....
2. Holy shit Wii U. I actually think the situation outside of Japan has looked somewhat better with the pricedrop and bundle, but the Japan situation is a complete nightmare. WWHD probably won't hit 100k LTD and the rest of the year is not great.
3. Holy shit Vita TV is a great idea and as someone who thought Vita would be pretty left to slowly die, I actually want one of these devices. I mean I don't think many people care about playing Vita games in the west, but a 100 dollar PS4 streamer for anywhere in the house is a great deal. Definitely could be a big hit for the niche it targets.

DaBoss

Welcome back metalslimer!

Yea, the Vita TV is a really good device for streaming PS4 games anywhere around the home. It just feels like it was designed for the west, but they still haven't announced it for the west.

BlackJace

I guess Nintendo wants the 3DS to take most of the weight this holiday in Japan. The rest of the world looks a lot better with the bundles and pricedrops.

It's just so bizarre how conservative they seem to be with their console in their "home" market.

Fake edit: good to see you again, metalslimer

I guess Nintendo wants the 3DS to take most of the weight this holiday in Japan. The rest of the world looks a lot better with the bundles and pricedrops.

It's just so bizarre how conservative they seem to be with their console in their "home" market.

Indeed. But the Wii U wasn't as expensive as the West from the start and there's no new consoles launching in Japan this year (note that Wii Fit's retail launch is now the same as the PS4's in Japan, wouldn't be surprised to see DK in Feb too). It has Mario, Wii Party, and Taiko, so the system might do ok over the year-end holidays, but 3DS will likely steal the vast majority of the holiday market.

Oh and the PS4 looks awful in Japan right now. It will likely be in the sub 10k post launch club as well. The market seems way too split for PS4 to be a success anytime soon with mobile/3DS/Vita/PS3 remnants taking over for a while. Not only that, the big 3rd party PS4 games are cross gen and the PS4 price is pretty terrible, obviously not PS3 bad, but the market has shifted these last 6 years.

ohlawd

am I really supposed to believe Nintendo's got some nice 3rd party 3DS games to show in the Fall Direct?

Won't be surprised if there's nothing. DQ11 won't even phase me.

am I really supposed to believe Nintendo's got some nice 3rd party 3DS games to show in the Fall Direct?

Won't be surprised if there's nothing. DQ11 won't even phase me.

What could they have besides DQ11? Even if it exists in a showable state now, it's not likely that it's out next year, right?

The only big 'surprise' they could pull from a 3rd party is Persona 5, but that's unlikely.

Next year might be Bravely Default 2, DQM2, Puyopuyo Tetris, Theatrhytm 2, and Maple Story. Maybe there'll be a new Inazuma, Fantasy Life, or Youkai Watch 1.5. Maybe even Kaio (if Marvelous ever bothers) and Rodea (if Kadokawa ever bothers).

Heck, even Nintendo only has 4 titles announced for the system next year (Yoshi, Golf, Zelda, Smash) so we should ideally be seeing 4-6 more.

L~A

Next year might be Bravely Default 2, DQM2, Puyopuyo Tetris, Theatrhytm 2, and Maple Story. Maybe[/b] there'll be a new Inazuma, Fantasy Life, or Youkai Watch 1.5. Maybe even Kaio (if Marvelous ever bothers) and Rodea (if Kadokawa ever bothers).

Fixed that for ya. New Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life (at least a new expansion or something) and a new Youkai Watch game are pretty much guaranteed at this point. I mean, it's Level-5 we're talking about here. Pretty sure they'll announce a new Little Battlers game too.

About DQXI, provided it is on the 3DS, I'm not expecting any announcement until Dragon Quest Monsters 2 is released, and no release before early 2015. As for Bravely Default 2... guess we'll see in early 2013.

Edit :

That Nintendo pride.

Huh? What pride? The 3DS is selling like hot pancakes napped with syrup in Japan, and with Monster Hunter 4 + Pokémon X and Y for the holidays season, Nintendo have no reason to use all their ammunitions when they're clearly dominating the market. It is a much more sensible tactic to wait until 3DS sales start to slow down a bit in Japan before releasing a new model... provided the 2DS will ever be released in Japan (I'm personally not convinced it will. I mean, the Wii mini was never released in Japan).

Kid Ying

Welcome back Shinra and MetalSlimer. Lots of stuff going on, but i have to talk about this one:
Regarding Wii Fit U having its physical release delayed - I don't know whether people have entertained the possibility already but couldn't it simply be that Nintendo couldn't secure the retailer shelf space for anything beyond the Fit Meter. The balance board seems a considerable space hog.
I don't believe so. In february we will have PS4 launch and a new console will always have to gather more shelf space. Of course 3DS this year is having a couple of games that are sure hits and will take a lot of space, but that also means Nintendo was in a good position to impose retailers to take those balance boards, since they know 3DS is going to be a hit.

In february, it looks way more crowded. To me, it was just a bad move from Nintendo.

Also, DQX expansion has been dated: 05/12. It's currently 47 on amazon, so it might gather enough interest to chart on dengeki.It got a low price (4000 yen) so that might also help. Also, Zelda is on the 19th position. Reminds me of Lego City.

guek

Banned
Good to be back to Media Create. There's like 100 pages of stuff I wanted to say but just want to hit a few points

Oh and the PS4 looks awful in Japan right now. It will likely be in the sub 10k post launch club as well. The market seems way too split for PS4 to be a success anytime soon with mobile/3DS/Vita/PS3 remnants taking over for a while. Not only that, the big 3rd party PS4 games are cross gen and the PS4 price is pretty terrible, obviously not PS3 bad, but the market has shifted these last 6 years.

WB. Why'd you get the forced leave of absence anyway?

Anywho, I mostly agree about the PS4 though I'm wondering how long it'll take to get there. Sony seems to be de-emphasizing Japan in all aspects, recognizing that handheld gaming is shifting to mobile, console gaming is more lucrative globally, etc. Can't say I blame em but it we'll probably see even further decline in the japanese gaming industry as it becomes more and more engulfed by mobile.

I don't think the 2ds is needed in Japan. Also kind of off topic, but how much stock did Yamauchi own of Nintendo?

WB. Why'd you get the forced leave of absence anyway?

Got to try to be cordial with everyone even when heavily disagreeing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good news, Nintendo! P&DZ already entered Comgnet, top 20, with 32pt. The game's out on December 12th.
Bad news, Nintendo! WWHD is still outside of top 20. The game's out on September, 26th, in two days.

Good news, Nintendo! P&DZ already entered Comgnet, top 20, with 32pt. The game's out on December 12th.
Bad news, Nintendo! WWHD is still outside of top 20. The game's out on September, 26th, in two days.

Japan once again shows its disregard for console zelda's. Looks like WiiU is banking on Mario and that drum game for the holidays. It ain't going to be pretty.

Maybe gungho's expectations aren't too ridiculous after all

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Japan once again shows its disregard for console zelda's. Looks like WiiU is banking on Mario and that drum game for the holidays. It ain't going to be pretty.

I know they aren't dated, but It wouldn't make much sense to me for Nintendo to hold back Donkey Kong and Mario & Sonic until 2014 in Japan- past entries made it to Japan around the same time, and Japan needs software for December more than their regions frankly.

On the other hand he was extremely accurate about the Wii U once the initial launch rush died down.

Yeah he was right on the money on what would happen with it. In retrospect the 500k MH3G prediction wasn't so crazy with the possibility of a Vita version still out there and the 3DS not having yet exploded

Top Bottom