• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)

Disney infinity is being published by bandai namco and epic mickey 2 is being published by spike chunsoft.

quite curious though only releasing on Nintendo platforms, yeah demographics and all that shizzle but ps3 has a hefty install base seems odd they wouldn't bother

seems an odd thing for Nintendo to moneyhat, especially seeing as they've passed on publishing epic mickey 2

And you'd think they'd moneyhat something like... a brand-new exclusive. :p It was likely between Disney and BN, as they also did Disney Magic Castle for 3DS, a ground-up exclusive. Never found out who developed that did we?

BTW, Heavy Iron was behind Infinity Wii and Wii U, they did Epic Mickey 2 Wii U prior.

Kid Ying

Another Wiiu game was stealth announced. Stealth as hell i must say. Togabito no senritsu. An adventure made by kemco that was first released on ios and now its going to wiiu... Next week.

http://www.kemco.jp/applipage/wiigame/wiiu/tbns/index.html

Very odd release. Since the game was released on ios, theres a possibilty that nintendo is starting to do the same program in japan that is doing in the west with unity and stuff...

Who am i kidding? Its just an odd release.

Kid Ying

It was not the first time someone commented on something like this... But youre right. Disregard my post. I just found to be an unusual choice of platform, sincr those kind of games are usually released on 360 or psp, but i dont think its means anything else.

Also, at least it shows that jp eshop is getting a little support. The fourth game on it. Maybe it will have ten by the end of wiiu life.

It was not the first time someone commented on something like this... But youre right. Disregard my post. I just found to be an unusual choice of platform, sincr those kind of games are usually released on 360 or psp, but i dont think its means anything else.

Don't be sorry, these threads are kind of an "every bit of JP news goes here" thread.

BriBri

Disney Magic Castle for 3DS, a ground-up exclusive. Never found out who developed that did we?
h.a.n.d.

And not really news but a lack of update may have implied missed news so Monster Hunter 4 still behind Animal Crossing and Pokémon AR Searcher on best selling ever 3DS eShop sales.

donny2112

Sorry if this has already been covered, but noticed some concern about lack of the rise for staple 3DS titles this week in another thread. Also looking through some old notes about many expecting these staple titles to rise with MH4 and Pokemon X/Y, and on first pass, the lack of a rise could be seen as a bad thing. However upon further reflection, I think it could mean a very, very, very good thing.

3DS is broadening its userbase diversity greatly.

The people who bought a 3DS for MH4 this week and/or the game did not seem to affect the staple 3DS games much if at all. -11% for Tomodachi, -4% for Animal Crossing, -11% for Luigi's Mansion 2, -2% for Mario Kart 7, -5% for NSMB2. These are just normal weekly fluctuations for these games. In other words, MH4's release neither hurt nor helped these games, which indicates that the group buying MH4 either already had these games (there's always overlap in userbase with series this big) or was a separate group from those that usually buy these games. This interpretation really sets the system up as being more able to fully support a much wider base of game types than Nintendo systems without mega third-party games in divergent genres from Nintendo games would normally be, which is very good news for the 3DS going forward. :)

Sorry if this has already been covered, but noticed some concern about lack of the rise for staple 3DS titles this week in another thread. Also looking through some old notes about many expecting these staple titles to rise with MH4 and Pokemon X/Y, and on first pass, the lack of a rise could be seen as a bad thing. However upon further reflection, I think it could mean a very, very, very good thing.

The people who bought a 3DS for MH4 this week and/or the game did not seem to affect the staple 3DS games much if at all. -11% for Tomodachi, -4% for Animal Crossing, -11% for Luigi's Mansion 2, -2% for Mario Kart 7, -5% for NSMB2. These are just normal weekly fluctuations for these games. In other words, MH4's release neither hurt nor helped these games, which indicates that the group buying MH4 either already had these games (there's always overlap in userbase with series this big) or was a separate group from those that usually buy these games. This interpretation really sets the system up as being more able to fully support a much wider base of game types than Nintendo systems without mega third-party games in divergent genres from Nintendo games would normally be, which is very good news for the 3DS going forward. :)

Considering that 300,000 3ds' were sold last week, probably means that this is an expanse of the userbase.

LOCK

And once MH4 hype dies down, those gamers might be interested in trying out staple series which could lead to software boost in the long term.

I expect very good holiday sales of evergreen titles.

Seems reasonable; I'd see it as essentially the user-base broadening to include the audience that was on the PSP.

I think the same is happening in US/Western markets to a much greater degree, and that's helped stem the the fall from losing a lot of the Brain Age/Nintendogs audience.

Third parties that made the type of games that benefited from Mon Hun's userbase expansion on the PSP would probably be wise to take note, going forward.

L Thammy

@Bel_Air_Jeff

If I'm reading correctly, what Donny is saying is this. Yamada Tarou went out to buy Monster Hunter, maybe a new 3DS, but none of Nintendo's big games. That means one of two things:

Tarou already has these Nintendo games, so he doesn't want a new one. He's already a member of the 3DS audience.

Tarou have never cared for Nintendo's big games and doesn't now, but he does play Monster Hunter and other other games, so he buys a 3DS. He's a new member of the 3DS audience that will buy very different games from the existing audience.​

When you look at Call of Duty, though, I wonder if there isn't a group that buys only the biggest franchises. Isn't it like that with Dragon Quest, that there's a lot of people who play it even if they don't play anything else?

And yeah, numbers in a couple of hours.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm sure though there will be different sets of people within that Monster Hunter crowd.

1. Those who will eventually buy Nintendo evergreen titles.
2. Those who are interested in other types of games (perhaps different types of games that appeal to them will hop over to the 3DS).
3. Those who only play Monster Hunter.
4. Some weird mix of the three above.

Mory Dunz

I'm sure though there will be different sets of people within that Monster Hunter crowd.

2. Those who are interested in other types of games (perhaps different types of games that appeal to them will hop over to the 3DS).

Yeah, it's possible that some of the Monster Hunter crowd weren't that interested in the 1st party Nintendo titles.

I think that'd be a good thing, because you just gained a large diverse audience that may buy different types of games on the 3DS that might not sell as much otherwise.

Lumyst

I hope there's new people who go "Well, now that I have a Nintendo console, I might as well try some of those Nintendo games" and find out that they like those games. It's kind of odd for me to imagine a Nintendo console being used primarily for 3rd party games, maybe such a situation exists with the lopsided 3DS/Vita sales. But then again, it's just a specialized computer that outputs audiovisual entertainment, which happens to be made by Nintendo, with lots of games available, and some people might think "I have a game console, I can get games for it" and not be boxed in to thinking "I have a Nintendo console, I will get Nintendo games for it." Perhaps it is unfair to think that to own a Nintendo console means one is expected to need to want Nintendo games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeah, it's possible that some of the Monster Hunter crowd weren't that interested in the 1st party Nintendo titles.

I think that'd be a good thing, because you just gained a large diverse audience that may buy different types of games on the 3DS that might not sell as much otherwise.

That's exactly my hope in all honesty =). In addition, I'm sure there may be some Nintendo titles that might appeal to them, but wouldn't get them to buy a console for those games.

@Bel_Air_Jeff

If I'm reading correctly, what Donny is saying is this. Yamada Tarou went out to buy Monster Hunter, maybe a new 3DS, but none of Nintendo's big games. That means one of two things:

Tarou already has these Nintendo games, so he doesn't want a new one. He's already a member of the 3DS audience.

Tarou have never cared for Nintendo's big games and doesn't now, but he does play Monster Hunter and other other games, so he buys a 3DS. He's a new member of the 3DS audience that will buy very different games from the existing audience.​

When you look at Call of Duty, though, I wonder if there isn't a group that buys only the biggest franchises. Isn't it like that with Dragon Quest, that there's a lot of people who play it even if they don't play anything else?

And yeah, numbers in a couple of hours.
There are major differences between the two series; but historically, psp hardware AND software sales improved greatly after MH took off. So assuming the peiple buying on 3DS are the same type of people, we should see increase in both software and hardware numbers.

@Bel_Air_Jeff

I don't understand why Yamada Tarou, becoming a 3DS owner, must buy other games if he's not interested in it besides MH or similar titles
why Yamada Tarou doesn't sell his 3DS and MH4 after he finished the game ?
it's not so strange in Japan, how many people bought Vesperia and 360 and then they sold both of them ?
Yamada Tarou maybe likes "MH games" so he could sell 3DS and MH4 and buying Vita and GE2, during winter holidays selling a 3DS is really a worth

qko

I think it might be time for the MonHun clones on Vita to test the waters on the 3DS. I know they were trying to fill the void on Vita, but they might now have an audience on the 3DS

I don't understand why Yamada Tarou, becoming a 3DS owner, must buy other games if he's not interested in it besides MH or similar titles
it's not so strange in Japan, how many people bought Vesperia and 360 and then they sold both of them ?
Yamada Tarou maybe likes "MH games" so he could sell 3DS and MH4 and buying Vita and GE2, during winter holidays selling a 3DS is really a worth
Or Yamada Tarou will buy other MH-style games on the 3DS after his played enough MH4.

Watashiwa

Entirely possible, except then Yamada Tarou wouldn't be able to play Monster Hunter 4 during the New Year celebrations.

wrowa

MH is not really the kind of game that you finish after a month or two and sell afterwards. That's the key to its success.

Or Yamada Tarou will buy other MH-style games on the 3DS after his played enough MH4.

the biggest MH-like games, GE and PSO, are not on 3DS

anyway, selling 3DS after finishing MH4 is just an option, but i don't understand why anyone mentioned it, it's just another option like Yamada Tarou will buy Animal Crossing after finishing MH4, nothing more, nothing less

I don't really see MH as the type of game to sell. Maybe in a year when they feel they are done with it. It's good Nintendo is getting that audience on their platform, but getting God Eater along with it would have been a big deal in making sure there a lot more games like it that MH fans can go for assuming there isn't a huge nintendo overlap. . It'll be interesting to see where God Eater 3 goes since PSP won't be viable by then.

I don't really see MH as the type of game to sell. Maybe in a year when they feel they are done with it. It's good Nintendo is getting that audience on their platform, but getting God Eater along with it would have been a big deal in making sure there a lot more games like it that MH fans can go for assuming there isn't a huge nintendo overlap. . It'll be interesting to see where God Eater 3 goes since PSP won't be viable by then.

Personally I'd pay top money for a Legend of Zelda MP game styled after MH (overworld, towns as MP hubs, areas/dungeons as quest maps)
I'd probably never play another game again.

Pooya

so, Capcom put up an interview with MonHun producer here http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2013/vol01/index.html

nothing all that interesting in there related to this thread though this part I thought was worth noting.

How many people do you have on your team right now?

The number of people involved often varies with each project, but I’d say there was a few hundred people who worked on MH4 in total.

a few hundred, maybe he's including outsourcing too, still sounds too many to me to have 200+ staff at least to work on a handheld game like MonHun.

mrjohill

Probably vita in pretty sure the vita version will sell better than the psp version just like toukiden did

the biggest MH-like games, GE and PSO, are not on 3DS

anyway, selling 3DS after finishing MH4 is just an option, but i don't understand why anyone mentioned it, it's just another option like Yamada Tarou will buy Animal Crossing after finishing MH4, nothing more, nothing less
One Piece will be bigger than both.

BriBri

Personally I'd pay top money for a Legend of Zelda MP game styled after MH (overworld, towns as MP hubs, areas/dungeons as quest maps)
I'd probably never play another game again.
Knowing Nintendo you'd more likely see a Goomba Hunter.

On second thoughts, that would be absolutely ace!

a few hundred, maybe he's including outsourcing too, still sounds too many to me to have 200+ staff at least to work on a handheld game like MonHun.

Masuda came out and said they had around 200 people work on Pokemon XY's development and there'd be about 500 people in the credits, when you include localisations etc.

L~A

Read carefully : he said "several hundred in total" That doesn't mean they had several hundred developers at one given time (except maybe at the very end). The way it's worded (provided it's not a translation mistake), that means "several hundred" includes every single person who ever worked on the game, including people who went from one project to the other (which would artificially increase the number of developers who worked on MH4).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gibson for the rescue.

David Gibson ‏@gibbogame 2m
JP hardware last week - 3DS sold 174k last week after 298k in MH4 launch week which follows weekly rates of 60-80k prior.

JP game sales last week- Monster Hunter 4 sold 432k in its first full week after 1.88m in 2 days to take its total to 2.31m

Bruno MB

Monster Hunter 4 second week:

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 432.000 / 2.307.115 (-77%)

3DS Hardware - 174.000

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PSP went from 327,905 during P3rd launch week to 141,820 the following week.

Impressive - especially when you consider this was in December. 3DS sales in december fueled by MH4 and PKMN will be ridiculous. Retailers better have enough stock.

Bruno MB

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |  [B]MH Portable 3rd[/B]  |  [B]Monster Hunter 4[/B] |  [B]Difference[/B]  |
|    | [PSP] (2010.12.01)| [3DS] (2013.09.14)|              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MHP3rd - MH4 |
|  1 |2.146.467|2.146.467|1.875.115|1.875.115|      -271.352|
|  2 |  514.198|2.660.665|  432.000|2.307.115|      -353.550|
|  3 |  434.837|3.095.502|         |         |              |  
|  4 |  385.487|3.480.989|         |         |              | 
|  5 |  317.471|3.798.460|         |         |              |  
|  6 |  155.839|3.954.299|         |         |              |  
|  7 |   80.703|4.035.002|         |         |              |  
|  8 |   56.450|4.091.452|         |         |              |  
|  9 |   39.453|4.130.905|         |         |              | 
| 10 |   32.655|4.163.560|         |         |              |
| 11 |  104.900|4.268.460|         |         |              |
| 12 |   26.865|4.295.325|         |         |              |
| 13 |   20.594|4.315.919|         |         |              |
| 14 |   16.912|4.332.831|         |         |              |
| 15 |   13.981|4.346.722|         |         |              |
| 16 |   11.924|4.358.646|         |         |              |
| 17 |   13.536|4.372.182|         |         |              |
| 18 |   12.946|4.385.128|         |         |              |
| 19 |    9.589|4.394.171|         |         |              |
| 20 |    6.246|4.400.963|         |         |              |
| 21 |    5.929|4.406.892|         |         |              |
| 22 |    7.442|4.414.334|         |         |              |
| 23 |    7.381|4.421.175|         |         |              |
| 24 |    3.844|4.425.599|         |         |              |
| 25 |    3.766|4.429.365|         |         |              |
| 26 |    4.360|4.433.725|         |         |              |
| 27 |    4.170|4.437.895|         |         |              |
| 28 |    3.856|4.441.751|         |         |              |
| 29 |    3.796|4.445.547|         |         |              |
| 30 |    3.711|4.449.258|         |         |              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  |
|  1 |3.480.989|3.480.989|2.307.115|2.307.115|    -1.173.874|
|  2 |1.024.457|4.502.446|        -|        -|             -|
| LTD|        -|4.502.446|        -|2.307.115|    -2.195.331|     
-------------------------------------------------------------

[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 2.146.467 / 4.502.446
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP the Best) (Capcom) {2011.09.22} - 15.113 / 324.206

Total - 4.826.665

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 1.875.115 / 2.307.115

Top Bottom