• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2014 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
PS4 hasn't been out as long as the Wii U and doesn't have the same back catalog of games

Which should also lead to more flexibility in sales. Who would buy a Wii U for Toad who has not bought it for SM3DW yet? It's a bundle-only bump.

Why would you be surprised? CoD is a pretty big series in Japan as far as western games go. It's been doing well for years on PS3.

Indeed. Call of Duty is the second best selling Western IP on PS3, with Black Ops II topping 340k units. Call of Duty has been a consistent 200k sellers since Modern Warfare

hiska-kun

I'm just pretty surprised that a first person shooter would do reasonably well. Then again I was pretty damned surprised with GTA V's performance.

Are you new in this threads? This Call of Duty sold far less than last years entries.

[PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 190.631 / NEW
[360] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 12.950 / NEW

CoD always does well in Japan, so it being tops shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anybody.

I am however surprised by Dengeki's numbers. PS3/Vita combined ended up being about 30,000 copies better than I expected it to sell. Haha.

Phantasy Star Nova and New Etrian Odyssey II next week. Should be fun.

Davey Cakes

&#35013;&#30002;&#24746;&#39740;&#26449;&#27491;;139518157 said:
Captain Toad is an atomic bomba.
How so?

At this point selling 30K in a week is FANTASTIC in Japan. That's how bad it is over there.

Plus it was never going to be more than a modest seller anyway.

L~A

12./10. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 13.544 / 713.132 (+322%)

Glad to see MC is indeed counting the bundle for MK8. They didn't last year for the NSMBU and Wii Fit bundles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IDK. I didn't expect any FPS game to be big in Japan.
With the paucity of locally developed console content, especially in the AAA band, select Western games have been doing notably better the last 4 or so years.

GTA, Destiny, Battlefield, and I believe TLOU all put up good showings.

wigwag85

Banned
Do these companies track digital sales as well. I'd imagine for a game like Toad and it's bite sized puzzles people would be more inclined to download it rather purchase retail. I know I would.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And now we have the final nail in the Wii U coffin, right? So much even for that (already depressing) YoY 13/14...

Killer

Banned
With the paucity of locally developed console content, especially in the AAA band, select Western games have been doing notably better the last 4 or so years.

Yeah, i noticed GTA 5 was doing extremely well in Japan last year. This a good thing i guess :).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And now we have the final nail in the Wii U coffin, right? So much even for that (already depressing) YoY 13/14...
I think that nail came out a while ago, but if you mean the last big game this year, Smash is next week I believe.

I would go so far to say that for there to still be some life in Japan's console market this gen, western games needs to become more popular across a wider spectrum of titles. (as opposed to the usual CoD, BF, GTA, etc)

crinale

Now this CoD is English version (with Japanese subtitles).
How would the Japanese version perform is interesting.

Ugh, another weekly instalment of tales from gaming's post apocalyptic wasteland.

Well, everything sold like shit and there's no real hope in sight, the same as usual then. Damn these numbers are depressing.

Damned shame about Cap Toad. Maybe Nintendo should have said the toads did infact have gender, and put Toadette on the cover, given what outsold it. I mean I'm not surprised, and given the market it could easily have done worse, but I'm really disappointed that didn't do better. Nintendo should have bundled it in with the new WiiU SKU alongside MK8.

N3DS seems to indeed be unable to stop the YOY decline, either barely or horrifically depending on whose numbers are right. Either way Nintendo can kiss that annual sales target goodbye.

And everything else is just terrible as normal. Ah well.

Captain Bomba. Time for the Twilight Princess-treatment for Wii U titles of the future. No one wants to play on this console anymore, so the few good games remaining shouldn't all get sent to die, really. Seeing Bayo2 already was a shame.

Ugh, another weekly instalment of tales from gaming's post apocalyptic wasteland.

Well, everything sold like shit and there's no real hope in sight, the same as usual then. Damn these numbers are depressing.

Damned shame about Cap Toad. Maybe Nintendo should have said the toads did infact have gender, and put Toadette on the cover, given what outsold it. I mean I'm not surprised, and given the market it could easily have done worse, but I'm really disappointed that didn't do better. Nintendo should have bundled it in with the new WiiU SKU alongside MK8.

N3DS seems to indeed be unable to stop the YOY decline, either barely or horrifically depending on whose numbers are right. Either way Nintendo can kiss that annual sales target goodbye.

And everything else is just terrible as normal. Ah well.

N3DS was never meant to stop the YOY decline.

Road

Time to pull out the ultimate weapon...

2239419-captain_tsubasa_aratanaru_densetsu_joshou.jpg

I think you meant:

o0640048013009391365a1d5o.jpg

Now this CoD is English version (with Japanese subtitles).
How would the Japanese version perform is interesting.

The subtitled version has always sold more because it is released one month earlier.

A change might happen, but I won't bet on it. COD is declining everywhere in the world and, for a change, it is no different in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that nail came out a while ago, but if you mean the last big game this year, Smash is next week I believe.

The coffin was lowered into the grave ages ago, mate.

Well, we were discussing few weeks ago about a Wii U able to keep on track with PS4 and probably heading to "destroy" (among poors) the PS4 during the Holiday season; about a Wii U probably able to surpass last year's YtD with amiibos+bunldes+smash, with the long tail of MK8 and maybe amiibos

Instead: PS4 started to sell better than Wii U; bundles hit the market and Wii U is still doing horribly, lower than PS4 and way lower than last years bundles week; nothing points to a particularly better performances ahead

So, Wii U has always done pretty bad, and I wasn't speaking about a resourcange, but I think that it is pretty evident how the bundles are useless, how Toad is perceived as a secondary game, how MK8 did good/great but it's not enough to revitalize the console, how the Holidays/Smash effect will be probably a thing but still very limited

I remember a discussion about Wii U 14 being over Wii U 13 YtD and about when PS4 will catch and surpass the Wii U: many people were expecting a very strong holiday/smash/bundle/ml bump for the latest part of the year and a PS4 able to catch the Wii U only in mid 2016

I was suspicious, and it seems that I was right, imho.

Bruno MB

02./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 76.407 / NEW <40-60%>
08./00. [PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 26.627 / NEW <40-60%>

What a terrible decline, this series seems to be on its last legs.

Its debut on PlayStation 4 couldn't have been more pitiful. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 which was the first iteration on PlayStation 3 debuted selling 145.000 units.

duckroll

Historical comparison of the first week sales of CoD from 2009 until now (Media Create numbers):

2009:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [PS3] - 92,743
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [360] - 43,103

2010:
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 128,922
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) [360] - 30,279
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) [PS3] - 23,253

2011:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 180,372
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Subtitled Edition) [360] - 30,467
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Dubbed Edition) [PS3] - 51,156

2012:
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 197,350
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Subtitled Edition) [360] - 22,177
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Dubbed Edition) [PS3] - 51,662

2013:
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 190,631
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition) [360] - 12,950
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Dubbed Edition) [PS3] - 37,519

2014:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 79,586
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [PS4] - 64,060
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [XB1] - 3,730

NotLiquid

Think the big question with the Wii U now is if it'll see the same holiday uptick as it did last year. By all means, with Smash and MK8, it should have a stellar December.

How so?

At this point selling 30K in a week is FANTASTIC in Japan. That's how bad it is over there.

Plus it was never going to be more than a modest seller anyway.

What do you mean, how so? The only way to make this number not abysmal is to call this "pretty good for a puzzle game" but then you have to consider that this isn't exactly Puyo Puyo Tetris when it comes to production values and scope and expecting at least more than 50k wouldn't be shooting for the stars.

sörine

Banned
Think the big question with the Wii U now is if it'll see the same holiday uptick as it did last year. By all means, with Smash and MK8, it should have a stellar December.
It needed a better value bundle. I still think 3D World + Just Dance would've been better and could've launched earlier.

Eolz

Historical comparison of the first week sales of CoD from 2009 until now (Media Create numbers):

2013:
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 190,631
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition) [360] - 12,950

2014:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [PS3] - 79,586
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [PS4] - 64,060
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition) [XB1] - 3,730

Looks like about half of the COD audience in Japan transitioned to PS4.

PS4 had two big new releases and a new bundle. Wii U had one new release and a new bundle. Both sold almost the same. I don't understand these two comments in that regard.

PS4 bundle was exclusive to Sony Store online at a premium price, WiiU bundles (black and white consoles) were avaible in retail stores.
New releases on PS4 were multiplatform with PS3, Toad was first party exclusive to WiiU.

Ratrat

The game itself.

Developed in a short span of time, with the same engine of SM3DW, and though packed with contents, not something you would spend as a game like Galaxy. Marketing was also low-profile.
By what metric? It had tv ads which is more than what most games get. I wonder what that waifu simulator would have done with that much promotion.

Top Bottom