• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2014 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

It's baffling to me they decided to ditch the 3DS version all of a sudden, right when it started showing signs of improvement (BS with a better debut than last main entry). It could have been PS4/PS3/3DS/One without any problem, and IMHO the 3DS version could have had a better debut than the PS4's SKU.

Maybe, but i think it's irrelevant.
The PS4 SKU has way more room for improvement than the 3DS SKU

11./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥4.980) - 11.365 / NEW
17./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥4.980) - 10.459 / NEW
05./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119) - 19.434 / NEW

There are already four of five WE installments on 3DS and the platform is declining and I don't think that the foreign markets could help a lot.
I suppose that the little signs of improvements are simply not enough after 4 years.

1600 yen and Wii Party U are the difference between 12K and 39K?

The product simply has/had/will have a limited market that's being progressively saturated. Each big franchise release sees a more muted hardware impact, because at a certain point the people who will buy the system because they want title X have bought the system already.

MilesTeg

Banned
Those Captain Toad sales are disappointing. Then again, he's not a really popular character. This game should have starred Luigi.

I think it's the gameplay to be honest. I played a few SM3DW levels, and to be honest, I really don't see what is fun about it. It's boring and too easy.

E-phonk

Banned
That is possible, but that wasnt really what i was wondering about :) I'm more curious to know more exact cost of the game production.

We'll never know the exact cost. We just know the engine & part of the artwork/models allready existed, and it's made under one year by a (smaller?) team at ead tokyo.

Maybe the credits will give us some more info, although it's possible they include complete ead tokyo since they used their textures/models/animations.

I took 30 ppl working one year @ 40k salary to reach 1.2 million + overhead

We already know the development team was at least 75 heads. And try doubling that salary, if not tripling. We're talking about employees of one of the if not the most prestigious video game studio in the world. The average salary of Nintendo employees is above 100k.

hiska-kun

I see now.

Nintendo should have been more aggressive and offered MK8 bundle at lower price.

According to Nintendo, if you bought last year's bundle you were saving 16.545 yens (tax not included).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/index.html

If this year, you decide to but Wii Sports Club bundle (30.000 yen) and Mario Kart 8 (5.700) separately, instead of MK8 bundle you're paying 35.700.

That means that Mario Kart 8 bundle saves just 2.900 yen, but you don't get Wii Sports Club.

What a huge deal :)

(Tax is never included in this prices)

E-phonk

Banned
We already know the development team was at least 75 heads. And try doubling that salary, if not tripling. We're talking about employees of one of the if not the most prestigious video game studio in the world. The average salary of Nintendo employees is above 100k.
I'm willing to agree they make more, but where does the 75 ppl come from? Afaik EAD Tokyo is less than 100 people and they are at least split up in two teams.

This seems like a project a small team can handle since the engine and tools are already in place, no? Some optimalisation, new animations etc - but they re-use a lot of assets from 3D World

Bruno MB

Ouch @ Captain Toad. Were we expecting something this low? Also kind of weak performance for Wii U considering the new bundle, but as others have said, the value probably wasn't quite there to get more people to jump in.

This is what we were expecting for its first 3 weeks of sales:

Code:
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 250.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 200.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 150.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 131.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 120.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 93.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 92.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 90.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 87.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 83.569
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 76.543
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 75.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 70.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 66.666
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 65.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 60.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 59.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 55.555
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 54.280

GAF average - 95.392

Either MC added the n3DS numbers with n3DS XL and re-included the n3DS units or Famitsu not including the n3DS numbers. The MC XL numbers and Famitsu total n3DS are pretty matched at 39k.

Media Create:

New Nintendo 3DS LL - 38.457
New Nintendo 3DS - 13.373
Nintendo 3DS LL - 9.172
Nintendo 3DS - 4.199

Famitsu:

New Nintendo 3DS LL - 28.328
New Nintendo 3DS - 10.692
Nintendo 3DS LL - 8.311
Nintendo 3DS - 4.059

phanphare

Banned
Yeah but this was the MK8 bundle week :p

yeah that's true but I didn't really expect that to do too much. game's been out for a while now. the MK8 bundle will likely do more in December when people are buying it for someone who couldn't have gone out and bought the game on their own already. namely children.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The product simply has/had/will have a limited market that's being progressively saturated. Each big franchise release sees a more muted hardware impact, because at a certain point the people who will buy the system because they want title X have bought the system already.

I think we're pretty close to the end of the line in terms of what's going to appeal to a new fanbase as well.

Okay, so we have Smash Bros in a week or two, which has historically sold a lot of units, and might appeal to some new audiences.

After that... what then? Are there lots of people sitting around going "Well I wasn't interested in NSMBU, SM3DW, Donkey Kong, or Captain Toad, but by god am I dying to play Yoshi's Wooly World! I'm buying a Wii U the day that comes out!"

Maybe there's some unaddressed markets with Xenoblade and Zelda, but neither of those seem like titles that are going to even move all that many units in the first place.

Splatoon seems like a non-starter. Mario Maker would almost assuredly appeal to people who already bought the system for other Mario platformers, and Kirby will presumably have the same issue. Mario Party seems likely to have heavy overlap with Wii Party U.

I just don't see much on the table that could really branch out in a big way in 2015.

random25

Media Create:

New Nintendo 3DS LL - 38.457
New Nintendo 3DS - 13.373
Nintendo 3DS LL - 9.172
Nintendo 3DS - 4.199

Famitsu:

New Nintendo 3DS LL - 28.328
New Nintendo 3DS - 10.692
Nintendo 3DS LL - 8.311
Nintendo 3DS - 4.059

So there's really some missing/over 10k units. Such mystery lol. That would probably offset next week I suppose.

L~A

This is what we were expecting for its first 3 weeks of sales:

Code:
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 250.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 200.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 150.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 131.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 120.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 93.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 92.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 87.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 83.569
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 76.543
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 75.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 70.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 66.666
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 60.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 59.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 55.555
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 54.280

GAF average - 95.392

What the actual f*ck? Did people really forget 3D World only sold 100k during FW (though it had a great Christmas)?!

New 3DS can't stop the rot.

PSV headed below last year in a week or two.

PS4 seems to be on the rise for reasons I don't understand.

XBone clearly at the start of a meteoric ascent to stardom.

Wii U still as irrelevant as ever.

Eh. More interesting than last week, at least.

So the difference between "on the rise" and irrelevant is 1k sales? Lol

Terrible (but expected) sales for Captain Toad. Probably deserved too. :p

Sayad

PES/WE seems to be on a steep decline, but it's still a huge series for them and bigger than Metal Gear overall. From their 2013 and 2014 FY reports, overall soccer games sales:

FY 2012 6.43m
FY 2013 6.15m
FY 2014 3.89m

I was shocked when I found out PES/WE still put out these kind of numbers.

Well, seems like Wii U being down YoY is almost a lock now unless there is a huge explosion with Smash.

Captain Toad obviously wasn't meant to sell huge numbers, but I don't think that excuses its sales.

I can only wonder what PS4 sales would have been like without that DQ bundle this holiday.

Really don't know what to think about the n3DS, along with Yokai and Pokemon the holiday should be bigger.

extralite

Why Mario Kart 8 bundle is so not attractive compared with last year bundle?

New Super Mario U and Wii Party U are two games of course, but I don't understand why sales was much better in 2013 (Wii U sold 39k with this bundle).

I'll quote myself from two weeks ago:
Those bundles also included new games. Wii Party U sold around the same amount as a single SKU as did the bundle including it. Those new games could have boosted hardware sales even without being bundled. On the other hand, without those new games, there would have been no comparable bundles. So I think the games are more important than the fact that they were bundled.

Smash will drive sales, holiday will drive sales. This new bundle is more or less irrelevant, MK8 would have boosted during the holidays even without a bundle. As an old game, it can't sell that many bundles though outside the holidays, no way it would have had the same impact as Wii U Party on its release.

According to Nintendo, if you bought last year's bundle you were saving 16.545 yens (tax not included).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/index.html

If this year, you decide to but Wii Sports Club bundle (30.000 yen) and Mario Kart 8 (5.700) separately, instead of MK8 bundle you're paying 35.700.

That means that Mario Kart 8 bundle saves just 2.900 yen, but you don't get Wii Sports Club.

What a huge deal :)

(Tax is never included in this prices)

Even then, last year's bundle collapsed the next week and only picked up steam again during the holidays.

prag16

Banned
I see now.

Nintendo should have been more aggressive and offered MK8 bundle at lower price.

Yeah, definitely a bit of a mistake I'd say. A year later, offering a bundle that is pretty obviously inferior in value to the previous bundle. In light of that, not really surprised by the weak bump. Knocking a few thousand yen off of the price or including an additional game could have gone a long way.

Well, seems like Wii U being down YoY is almost a lock now unless there is a huge explosion with Smash.

It should do better than last year I'd say. But the question is will it be enough better to finish up YoY. Looking like probably not.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retail store chain: preorders stats / comparisons, as of November 13th, 2014

[NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 991pt + 864pt = 1,855pt *
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 1023pt + 996pt = 2,019pt
[3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby - 750pt + 665pt + 90pt = 1,505pt

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke - 363pt + 275pt = 638pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Star Performer - 1,053pt

[PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 - 85pt
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova - 125pt

[Wii U] Mario Kart 8 - 124pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 609pt
[Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 101pt + 32pt = 133pt

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl - 65pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Knight of Fafnir - 76pt

[3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers - 39pt

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires - 71pt*
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires - 37pt

[PS3] Assassin's Creed III - 80pt*
[PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 41pt
[PS3] Assassin's Creed Parity - 32pt

[PS3] Gundam Breaker - 84pt
[PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 - 25pt
[PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 - 25pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2011/2012
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorder points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

Calamari41

41 > 38
Toad's sales are disappointing for sure, but how could anybody really have expected much more? It was always intended a cheap lineup filler. And that's not to diminish the quality of the game, either... I am still very much looking forward to it.

Am I reading that list correctly? Did people really expect it to sell over 150k in the first three weeks? 250k?

Tripon

Halo sold more than Call of Duty in Japan.
*on the XB1
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha? ;P

Anywhoo, when does Nintendo gets aggressive and starts bundling in games with New 3DS?

random25

LOL at YW2.5. Beating its older brothers in pre-orders combined. Hope that the advantage directly translates to better sales numbers in opening weeks.

MilesTeg

Banned
I think we're pretty close to the end of the line in terms of what's going to appeal to a new fanbase as well.

Okay, so we have Smash Bros in a week or two, which has historically sold a lot of units, and might appeal to some new audiences.

After that... what then? Are there lots of people sitting around going "Well I wasn't interested in NSMBU, SM3DW, Donkey Kong, or Captain Toad, but by god am I dying to play Yoshi's Wooly World! I'm buying a Wii U the day that comes out!"

Maybe there's some unaddressed markets with Xenoblade and Zelda, but neither of those seem like titles that are going to even move all that many units in the first place.

Splatoon seems like a non-starter. Mario Maker would almost assuredly appeal to people who already bought the system for other Mario platformers, and Kirby will presumably have the same issue. Mario Party seems likely to have heavy overlap with Wii Party U.

I just don't see much on the table that could really branch out in a big way in 2015.

Yeah there isn't much software ahead that could potentially sell consoles, especially in Japan. I would assume most Wii U owners have already purchased consoles ahead of time for games like Smash. Just like how MK8 barely moved the needle at release.

Even an Animal Crossing might not do much considering the 3DS version is available.

I think it has taken Nintendo too long to get their key brands out there and the console has lost all momentum as a result.

That being said, Nintendo does have a Japanese friendly lineup next year, with Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Maker, Mario Party. So those games should do pretty well despite not moving much hardware. I'm not expecting Xenoblade to do much, IIRC it didn't do that great in Japan on Wii so why would that change on a console with a much smaller userbase.

So the difference between "on the rise" and irrelevant is 1k sales? Lol

I know SmokyDave is being his usual Smoky self, but the Wii U had a major bundle whereas the PS4 had just a couple multiplatform games (The Sony Store/online exclusive bundle I don't think would move the needle much on a Media Create/Famitsu chart)

PS4 would probably benefit more from a few more regular releases and a bundle, whereas Wii U already had that.

Scum

Konami has mishandled PES (and pretty much all of their brands) so badly.

NCL should just moneyhat the IP off their hands.

Those AA/"High end" AA games will sure come in handy right about now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I really don't understand these posts about Captain Toad bombing.

The title is most likely going to have a 150-200k LTD by year-end.

Were people really expecting a 100k opening....

test_account

XP-39C²
We'll never know the exact cost. We just know the engine & part of the artwork/models allready existed, and it's made under one year by a (smaller?) team at ead tokyo.

Maybe the credits will give us some more info, although it's possible they include complete ead tokyo since they used their textures/models/animations.
Yeah, i guess that we wont know for sure, unfortunately. It would be interesting to know i think. Its rare, but sometimes we get to know the budget of the games, so i thought maybe Nintendo had said something earlier, so i had to ask.

Not saying Captain Toad will have legs, but Nintendo games typically perform very nicely during holidays. Last year, Super Mario 3D World debuted at just over 100k, but then sold 60k, 80k and 65k units in the last 3 weeks of the year. It's common that people forget this trend. Tropical Freeze was released in February, so it couldn't exploit "legs power" (though it eventually reach the 100k mark).

Not saying Captain Toad will have legs, but Nintendo games typically perform very nicely during holidays. Last year, Super Mario 3D World debuted at just over 100k, but then sold 60k, 80k and 65k units in the last 3 weeks of the year. It's common that people forget this trend. Tropical Freeze was released in February, so it couldn't exploit "legs power" (though it eventually reach the 100k mark).

This is true. At this point, breaking 100k would be a decent result.

maxcriden

Looks like this time around, the approching release of a new game is impacting sales. Then again, makes sense for 3rd version.

About Toad, did as "well" as I expected. Fortunately, it should do pretty well during the holidays. 3D World also had a lukewarm FW, then went on to have a great Christmas.

Man, I hope so. This is a bit worse than I expected for Captain Toad, but I'm not sure what I should have expected. Hopefully it'll do solidly in the West, and I'm presuming it was a cheaper game for Nintendo to make compared to 3DW.

Rise, Lord Vita. They should release new colours every day!

Put me on the team that thinks Toad will be carried by word of mouth and holidays. It'll be fine.

maxcriden

That's more than I would have expected for the avg. salary. Source?

Top Bottom