• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2014 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

allan-bh

PS4 bundle was exclusive to Sony Store online at a premium price, WiiU bundles (black and white consoles) were avaible in retail stores.
New releases on PS4 were multiplatform with PS3, Toad was first party exclusive to WiiU.

All true, but Toad is not a big release.

NotLiquid

The game itself.

Developed in a short span of time, with the same engine of SM3DW, and though packed with contents, not something you would spend as a game like Galaxy. Marketing was also low-profile.

Yeah. I mean, no disrespect to Captain Toad and it's gameplay, but it's probably the cheapest "major" game Nintendo has come out with in recent history. Calling it a "bomb" seems kind of fallacious. By the time the game runs it's stubby legs out in Japan and does it's numbers in the rest of the world, it'll probably only be constituted a "bomb" by virtue of not doing Mario numbers, which was realistically never going to happen, and I bet Nintendo realizes this as well.

Maybe that was Nintendo's big plan with the game; a quickly made production to be put into Nintendo's holding pattern for the Wii U, which don't even need to sell that well to turn a profit. Wouldn't surprise me if that's how Wii U will look like post-2015.

L~A

It's pre-installed.

Really? It says "download" on the box. Thanks for the clarification.

Then again, it doesn't really matter as what I was driving at is "game's not physical", ha ha.

By the way, Bamco is soooo never gonna sell all FW stock for One Piece. I doubt it'll have great legs when competing against Smash for the holidays.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Code:
--------------------------------------------------
|Week|        2013         |        2014         |
| 40 | 122.987 |   122.987 |  22.490 |    22.490 |
| 41 | 213.570 |   336.557 | 261.873 |   284.263 |
| 42 | 154.578 |   491.135 | 113.238 |   397.501 |
| 43 | 109.508 |   600.643 |  96.590 |   494.091 |
| 44 |  88.376 |   689.019 |  69.673 |   563.764 |
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |  79.217 |   642.981 |
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |  65.201 |   708.182 |
| 47 |  84.506 |   925.444 |         |           | -> OR/AS
| 48 | 108.373 | 1.033.817 |         |           |
| 49 | 125.269 | 1.159.086 |         |           |
| 50 | 181.556 | 1.340.642 |         |           | -> YW2: SU
| 51 | 232.600 | 1.573.242 |         |           |
| 52 | 201.703 | 1.774.945 |         |           |

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What a terrible decline, this series seems to be on its last legs.

Its debut on PlayStation 4 couldn't have been more pitiful. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 which was the first iteration on PlayStation 3 debuted selling 145.000 units.

Let's put things even more in perspective

First time on the brand new console

02./00. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 293,926 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 141,432 / NEW
18./00. [360] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)

Last year's main entry

03./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 151.800 / NEW
11./00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥3.980) - 16.976 / NEW
14./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥4.980) - 11.444 / NEW

This year's Blue Samurai edition

01./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥8.208) - 35.656 / NEW
05./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥8.208) - 16.762 / NEW
19./00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥3.067) - 7.245 / NEW

This year's main entry

02./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 71.303 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 26.684 / NEW

It's baffling to me they decided to ditch the 3DS version all of a sudden, right when it started showing signs of improvement (BS with a better debut than last main entry). It could have been PS4/PS3/3DS/One without any problem, and IMHO the 3DS version could have had a better debut than the PS4's SKU.

hiska-kun

Code:
|Week|        2013         |        2014         |
| 40 | 122.987 |   122.987 |  22.490 |    22.490 |
| 41 | 213.570 |   336.557 | 261.873 |   284.263 |
| 42 | 154.578 |   491.135 | 113.238 |   397.501 |
| 43 | 109.508 |   600.643 |  96.590 |   494.091 |
| 44 |  88.376 |   689.019 |  69.673 |   563.764 |
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |  79.217 |   642.981 |
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |  65.201 |   708.182 |
| 47 |  84.506 |   925.444 |         |           | -> OR/AS
| 48 | 108.373 | 1.033.817 |         |           |
| 49 | 125.269 | 1.159.086 |         |           |
| 50 | 181.556 | 1.340.642 |         |           | -> YW2: SU
| 51 | 232.600 | 1.573.242 |         |           |
| 52 | 201.703 | 1.774.945 |         |           |

Finally next week?

ZeroXZee

One Piece sold less than 40% of its shipment...yet everyone only talks about Toad and WE as bombas of the week, and both sold more than 40% =P

Half-kidding

nampad

New 3DS can't stop the rot.

PSV headed below last year in a week or two.

PS4 seems to be on the rise for reasons I don't understand.

XBone clearly at the start of a meteoric ascent to stardom.

Wii U still as irrelevant as ever.

Eh. More interesting than last week, at least.

#20V1T4 :(

LOCK

I think Toad will be a leggy game during the holidays. 200k LTD maybe.

If I'm reading this correctly, COD declined this year rather than last. Shame since AW is good.

Every week till the end of the year will see increases. :). Exciting times.

test_account

XP-39C²
The game itself.

Developed in a short span of time, with the same engine of SM3DW, and though packed with contents, not something you would spend as a game like Galaxy. Marketing was also low-profile.
True, but such indications only tells if its high or low in relative terms, at least to me. Are we talking $500k or $10 million? Is there any indication about any specific budget cost?

random25

Looks like Captain Toad is not really a bomba given that it sold at least 40% of its stock. We're just too focused on low sales number, guys :p It's a budget title, so it won't really push systems if that's what you expect. And while low, I think it just did well enough to even sold close to half at 1st week. Could be worse.

The one to really anticipate is how will Smash Wii U will do in Japan. With early speculation that Smash 3DS already cannibalizing potential Smash Wii U sales in Japan, it will be exciting to see if that will turn out to be true or not.

Mory Dunz

Hopefully Captain Toad can have some legs but as of now, 30k is a horrible opening. Not sure why people are trying to spin it. Even saw the "digital" argument.

When does the holiday uptick start? Wii U needs something. Bundle didn't do much unless now that's magically its baseline (lol)

E-phonk

Banned
kinopio - nooooo

That's ludicrous. You think a game with a development team of at least 75 people + marketing with a 35$ price point and selling below 30k first week is half its budget... NeoGAF sales analysts at work..

It was made under a year, on top of an existing engine by a studio who has 100 employees and who has at least 2 teams (recent rumors suggest even 3 teams).
1-2 million seems like a reasonable budget for a project like this, no?

30k isn't good, but I guess it'll go to 70-100k in japan and add 150-200k oversea. It has more potential compared to bayonetta to be a long term seller.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The established lead from an extra 16(?) months of sales still presents a considerable hurdle to ever pass, given how poor its sales still are.

I don't know: it is selling better than Wii U with "almost" no games (I mean: few multiplatform games with PS3, most of them even western ones); I know that the Wii U debut was very good (I'm talking about the launch/december 2012, with New Mario, MH and Land), but or there is some mistery hidden somewhere about Wii U performances so far, or PS4 will catch up with it looking at its early '15 release schedule: if we imagine an even better lineup for the second part of 2015 (and I think it's fair to imagine this, honestly) and a possible price cut/bundle I think it will manage this "milestone" around Fall '15.

These 25 people buying PSP every week are quite some dedicated bunch.

Purchases are obviously for archival reasons.

Oiyojux.gif

True, but such indications only tells if its high or low in relative terms, at least to me. Are we talking $500k or $10 million? Is there any indication about any specific budget cost?

Of course there are no such indications. When we are talking about games budgets, 90% of the time it is just pure speculation, and here it was clear. The game itself, though, speaks for a low-budget production, as stated by Miyamoto in a recent interview (quick spin-off to fill line-up gaps, and Captain Toad was an example of this).

allan-bh

Why Mario Kart 8 bundle is so not attractive compared with last year bundle?

New Super Mario U and Wii Party U are two games of course, but I don't understand why sales was much better in 2013 (Wii U sold 39k with this bundle).

I don't know: it is selling better than Wii U with "almost" no games (I mean: few multiplatform games with PS3, most of them even western ones); I know that the Wii U debut was very good (I'm talking about the launch/december 2012, with New Mario, MH and Land), but or there is some mistery hidden somewhere about Wii U performances so far, or PS4 will catch up with it looking at its early '15 release schedule: if we imagine an even better lineup for the second part of 2015 (and I think it's fair to imagine this, honestly) and a possible price cut/bundle I think it will manage this "milestone" around Fall '15.
Even under an unlikely scenario that the PS4 manages to outsell the Wii U by 20,000 units a week on average going forward, which requires the Wii U sell negative units or the PS4 to increase unit sales significantly, it would take 60 weeks to catch up.

New Super Mario U and Wii Party U are two games of course, but I don't understand why sales was much better in 2013 (Wii U sold 39k with this bundle).
Because limited market potential.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's ludicrous. You think a game with a development team of at least 75 people + marketing with a 35$ price point and selling below 30k first week is half its budget... NeoGAF sales analysts at work..

Nintendo took the money for shipment, not sales.

You must expect extraordinary weekly sales with predictions like these.

Scum

The "problem" for the PS4 catchup is that even though the WiiU is selling shite, it's still selling. The WiiU is essentially "moving the goal posts".

Mory Dunz

It has to sell 22k more than the Wii U on a weekly basis for that....so yeah no.

I'm not ready to revise my prediction yet but the ps4 is doing better than I thought. And the Wii U....is well, the Wii U.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Captain Bomba. Time for the Twilight Princess-treatment for Wii U titles of the future. No one wants to play on this console anymore, so the few good games remaining shouldn't all get sent to die, really. Seeing Bayo2 already was a shame.

I still want to play on Wii U and this month it will again be my most played system. I also don't want to be treated a lot of ports of games I already have for the next Nintendo console either, they should make new games for a new console.

E-phonk

Banned
Captain toad is the kind of game I do see returning for their next portable. A quick in-between game for a dry month.

kinopio - nooooo

It was made under a year, on top of an existing engine by a studio who has 100 employees and who has at least 2 teams (recent rumors suggest even 3 teams).
1-2 million seems like a reasonable budget for a project like this, no?

30k isn't good, but I guess it'll go to 70-100k in japan and add 150-200k oversea. It has more potential compared to bayonetta to be a long term seller.

The budget is easily above 5 million. But It's surely below 10 million.

hiska-kun

Last year's Bundle:
Price: 31.238¥ (tax not included)
Games: New Super Mario Bros U + Wii Party U
Extras: Free 30 days Karaoke
Others: Wii Remote, Wii Bar Sensor

This year's Bundle:
Price: 32.800¥ (tax not included, and it increased from 5% to 8% in april)
Game: Mario Kart 8
Extras: non

Higher price less games and extras.

test_account

XP-39C²
Of course there are no such indications. When we are talking about games budgets, 90% of the time it is just pure speculation, and here it was clear. The game itself, though, speaks for a low-budget production, as stated by Miyamoto in a recent interview (quick spin-off to fill line-up gaps, and Captain Toad was an example of this).
Then that doesnt tell me much unfortunately. Low and high are relative terms, and if there isnt much to go by to compare what low and high is, its hard to say what amount of money that we're talking about. The guy i asked was pretty specific when he said "half the budget", that is why i asked. He did also say "might" though to be fair, but i thought maybe he had some specific info regarding why he thought so.

Scum

Last year's Bundle:

This year's Bundle:

Oh yeah. I forgot about Abe and his shenanigans Doesn't he want 10% now? D:

prag16

Banned
Ouch @ Captain Toad. Were we expecting something this low? Also kind of weak performance for Wii U considering the new bundle, but as others have said, the value probably wasn't quite there to get more people to jump in.

Then that doesnt tell me much unfortunately. Low and high are relative terms, and if there isnt much to go by to compare what low and high is, its hard to say what amount of money that we're talking about. The guy i asked was pretty specific when he said "half the budget", that is why i asked. He did also say "might" though to be fair, but i thought maybe he had some specific info regarding why he thought so.

Bottom line: Captain Toad will break even with low sales.

allan-bh

Last year's Bundle:

This year's Bundle:

I see now.

Nintendo should have been more aggressive and offered MK8 bundle at lower price.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You must expect extraordinary weekly sales with predictions like these.

I'm expecting sales imilar to what the 3DS was able to put in the first months of the 2014, for PS4, once the games for the Japanese target will be actually available.

NotLiquid

Hopefully Captain Toad can have some legs but as of now, 30k is a horrible opening. Not sure why people are trying to spin it. Even saw the "digital" argument.

When does the holiday uptick start? Wii U needs something. Bundle didn't do much unless now that's magically its baseline (lol)

Last year the Wii U had a continuous rise when 3D World came out (Nov 21) and it lasted all the way until the end of the year. Even though it only moved around 20k at launch week it still grew exponentially.

It will probably begin with Smash Bros, which comes out Dec 6 in Japan. Wii U got as high up as 106k units between December 16 - 22 last year. Not going to expect it doing the same this year but it should be a healthy period for it.

krizzx

Those Captain Toad sales are disappointing. Then again, he's not a really popular character. This game should have starred Luigi.

Top Bottom