• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

so where's my dang gif

Lol not sure, but unsurprisingly Horizon outsold Zelda by a good margin in the UK. I figured with all the bickering people have been doing about Horizon vs Zelda over the last month someone would have made a thread (which would likely be quickly locked over fighting)

Mory Dunz

Lol not sure, but unsurprisingly Horizon outsold Zelda by a good margin in the UK. I figured with all the bickering people have been doing about Horizon vs Zelda over the last month someone would have made a thread (which would likely be quickly locked over fighting)

Yeah, but I guess with that first post, that thread incepted itself...into...the thread.

LTD could be interesting between the two, but not that interesting personally.

I'm more curious if Switch can tread water until MK8 comes out. And even then, how big will MK8 part deux be.

Switch is looking a little weaker than I expected so far, so i'm not high on the next few weeks

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I feel US is where the real shitposting will start if one beats the other decisively. That or Japan if there's an upset. UK is way too obvious. Wii U sold like shit there and the switch wasn't expected to set the UK on fire either.

Mory Dunz

I feel US is where the real shitposting will start if one beats the other decisively. That or Japan if there's an upset. UK is way too obvious. Wii U sold like shit there and the switch wasn't expected to set the UK on fire either.

Given how Horizon's been doing so far, I think it'll beat zelda in the U.S. How many switches were even estimated to ship to the US? I remember hearing ~600k but not sure...

You'll be surprised how many Wii U launch games multiplied first week sales many times if you think first week is the end of everything for system launch software.

Well, duh. Disgaea 3 on Vita sold like 4 x its FW sales with all versions counted (3 x its FW sales without).

But if Disgaea 5 is selling like, 4 x less in its FW, then I don't think it's going to be much of a victory if it manages to crawl to a double-digit LTD :p

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
Well, duh. Disgaea 3 on Vita sold like 4 x its FW sales with all versions counted (3 x its FW sales without).

But if Disgaea 5 is selling like, 4 x less in its FW, then I don't think it's going to be much of a victory if it manages to crawl to a double-digit LTD :p

We're talking up to 10x here.

ßig;231597582 said:
We're talking up to 10x here.

I know I've already over-estimated Disgaea 5 on Switch, but Disgaea 3 Vita opened to 22k. I'd really struggle to see Disgaea 5 opening to 2k.

(Unless you mean it's going to sell 10 x its FW... which I'm not believing either).

hiska-kun

It obviously is, you'd have to not have been paying attention to this very thread if you thought otherwise.

Retailers underestimated demand.

Eventually, you will remember that in Japan the retailer decides the shipment. I feel like we go over this every time there's underestimated demand and limited stock yet people keep forgetting.

I don't think this is the case. GamesMaya reported several times that she was praying to Nintendo to increase the shipment. She's still waiting for this...
Comg also couldn't supply pre-orders with the shipment they got. Other reports of pre-orders selling out came from the first weekend it was available. Etc

For me this is pretty clear a Nintendo's thing. If they shipped less than 300k, I don't understand why they shipped so copies to Europe (their weakest market) instead a market with a strong demand as Japan.

Makes sense though. One is in a brand new system and a dead system while the other is on this gen's most popular. Horizon's sales are crazy impressive though but we'll see how it goes if and when Switch gains any traction.

Fdkn

Wrong thread lol, misstab =/

Well, I'm very happy about Horizon pushing above expectations while I'm here

I don't think this is the case. GamesMaya reported several times that she was praying to Nintendo to increase the shipment. She's still waiting for this...
Comg also couldn't supply pre-orders with the shipment they got. Other reports of pre-orders selling out came from the first weekend it was available. Etc

For me this is pretty clear a Nintendo's thing. If they shipped less than 300k, I don't understand why they shipped so copies to Europe (their weakest market) instead a market with a strong demand as Japan.
Right, I know retailers are involved in the matter but I don't think that means it is always on them. Especially in the case of a worldwide console launch. Nintendo plays their part here too.

It's like Sony caring more about America - you concentrate on most "disputed" areas to benefit from launch hype the most and ignore strongholds a bit since those people will buy switch anyway even if they have to wait.

noshten

I will play devils advocate.
It's easier not to resupply areas where launch shipment didn't sell out and for retailers to drop price accordingly in order to get their next shipment. The majority of the 2 million will go towards Japan and US. It's simply going to arrive a little later for Japan will probably get a major resupply before Splatoon Testfire, while for the US and other markets where launch was sold out possibly will be trickled out week after week. This allows Nintendo to more easily meet demand and extrapolate the lack of consoles a week before a launch like MK8D for example so there is pent up demand for the system.

I've not been around these parts for a console launch - it has been eye opening.

D.Lo

It's like Sony caring more about America - you concentrate on most "disputed" areas to benefit from launch hype the most and ignore strongholds a bit since those people will buy switch anyway even if they have to wait.
That's my thinking.

The next shipment will sell out in Japan, but the next shipment will not sell out in say the UK.

casiopao

Wow that is quite a great number especially with all the stock problem and outside of holiday.O_O

When summer comes with Splat2, i can see it doing even better in Japan.^^

hiska-kun

So, at the end Switch sales are the expected.
We doubted because Zelda was lower in the charts. It may be, maybe, software sales are less concentrated on Zelda than we expected then?

Or maybe just big retailers (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Yamada Denki...), got big shipments, while small or online retailers (Comg, Rakuten...) got less units. Since we got rankings for these retailers, the impression wasn't the same as the real situation.

casiopao

We doubted because Zelda was lower in the charts, but maybe software sales are less concentrated on Zelda than we expected then?

Or maybe just big retailers (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Yamada Denki...), got big shipments, while small or online retailers (Comg, Rakuten...) got less units.

Any chance of Bomberman doing better that we predicted here lol.^^

Oxn

We doubted because Zelda was lower in the charts. It may be, maybe, software sales are less concentrated on Zelda than we expected then?

Or maybe just big retailers (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Yamada Denki...), got big shipments, while small or online retailers (Comg, Rakuten...) got less units. Since we got rankings for these retailers, the impression wasn't the same as the real situation.

I think zelda switch will actually outsell horizon.

People are looking at preorder numbers, but i think alot of switch buyers didnt preorder zelda, and just picked it up when they got the system.

I think on wednesday people will be suprised when zelda switch hits #1.

Mory Dunz

I wanted that thead, I effin got it, and it was better than I could've hoped for.

Back in Japan, decent numbers for the Switch. But I wonder the importance of FW sales

SarusGray

People are looking at preorder numbers, but i think alot of switch buyers didnt preorder zelda, and just picked it up when they got the system.

this is my thinking. Zelda will be number 1, horizon 2. Both will sell great ;-)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Those numbers are sales numbers/rankings btw at smaller retailers. Not preorders. Looks like comgnet took too many preorders since there were more preorders than sales (probably didn't get enough stock).

Branduil

I would not be surprised at Horizon selling more than Zelda at launch. In the long run, though, I'm expecting Zelda to win out. It's going to keep selling for the rest of the Switch's life, like TP did.

casiopao

I would not be surprised at Horizon selling more than Zelda at launch. In the long run, though, I'm expecting Zelda to win out. It's going to keep selling for the rest of the Switch's life, like TP did.

I don't see Horizon selling more than 150k(And that is the highest.) While 300k of Switch will certainly at least have 250k Zelda sold already there.

So nah. I can't see Horizon Beating Zelda number there.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking as well.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No surprise when I ship less than Sony did for the PS4, a launch which had the narrative of being lukewarm at best around here.

And if they shipped 600k and only sold through 500k you would be calling it lukewarm since it wasn't sold out.

Mario007

Wow that is quite a great number especially with all the stock problem and outside of holiday.O_O

When summer comes with Splat2, i can see it doing even better in Japan.^^
PS4 and PS Vita did similar numbers and launched outside of holidays. 3DS did much better and launched outside of holidays.

Top Bottom