• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

First week maybe Horizon will beat Zelda Switch, but i think over time (actually im certain) Zelda switch will outsell it.

I would agree with that, but it'll still be wild to see if Horizon beats it launch week. I fully expect that to happen in the West but didn't whatsoever in Japan

Mory Dunz

I would agree with that, but it'll still be wild to see if Horizon beats it launch week. I fully expect that to happen in the West but didn't whatsoever in Japan

And it's probably 100% it'll happen in U.K.. And the rest of main Europe unless France (?) surprises

Oxn

Hmmmm zelda switch on amazon just overtook horizon.

But horizon is also sold out, so.......

duckroll

Extrapolating sales conclusions based on single retailer rankings is never a good idea. :p

In general the take away here should be "Horizon and the Switch are both doing very well at retail this week", and anything beyond that is up in the air. Since they are just rankings without any numbers (Comgnet at least has numbers to show the gap for that retailer) they could literally be selling the same amount.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

01./00. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn (First Limited Edition) <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
02./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
03./00. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./01. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./00. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
06./05. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
07./00. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
08./06. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
09./00. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
10./07. [PS4] Nioh <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
11./13. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
12./02. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
13./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <RPG> (Square Enix)
14./00. [PS4] Winning Post 8 2017 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo)
15./03. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
16./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Collector's Edition) <ADV> (Nintendo)
17./04. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V (AniSong Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
18./00. [3DS] Doraemon the Movie: Nobita no Nankyoku Kachikochi Daibouken <ACT> (FuRyu)
18./19. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
19./09. [PS4] For Honor <ACT> (Ubisoft)
20./12. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V (AniSong Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

01./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
02./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./10. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./06. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
05./23. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash <ACT> (Marvelous)
06./14. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
07./15. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
08./17. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
09./16. [PSV] Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Sh&#333;jo YU-NO (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.)
10./31. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash (Nyuu Nyuu Deluxe Pack) <ACT> (Marvelous)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Pinky

Banned
What the f***. Why would anyone track until tuesday? Beats me.

Never mind, I was confused. I always assumed Tuesday was the last tracking day since results posted the following day. Going by this thread's dates(20th-26th), I guess MC tracks Monday thru Sunday, with results posting a couple days later on Wednesday.

hiska-kun

Horizon obviously sold more than expected (over 100k for sure, and probably closer to 150k or more), but Zelda been below even in Rakuten Ranking, that could mean that Switch shipment has been quite lower than we were expecting.

Jigorath

Banned
If Horizon outsells Zelda I'll screenshot myself eating Dubious Food in BotW.

How dubious?

That's 3 for 3 with Horizon on top now. Regardless of which ends up selling more it's pretty clear Horizon is gonna be a bit of a surprise hit

Isn't Japan into open world games as of late?

GTAV was a huge hit and I remember Witcher 3 doing really well. Something like Horizon should be right up their alley.

duckroll

How dubious?

Literally dubious.

C6MgU1gUsAEqM2J.jpg

Isn't Japan into open world games as of late?

GTAV was a huge hit and I remember Witcher 3 doing really well. Something like Horizon should be right up their alley.

No doubt and it seems like Western titles in general are slowly growing more popular in Japan it just seems like Horizon is gonna open better than expected is all

horuhe

Long time since I posted pics. Sorry for that, very busy these days.

So, this week was the launch of Switch. Stores were very happy for the release and the improvement of clients. They there were giving big spaces for the console. Pics are from Joshin, Santy, and Mandai.

Situation is that Switch is out of stock in most places. Santy re-opened the reservations, but had to close them again aren't accepting more. Accesories were very popular, controllers and especially the carrying cases. Most Switch games are available. Zelda was the best selling game. Santy-san says again, of each three Switch consoles sold, are two Zelda copies and one 1-2-Switch were sold.

Even though was Switch release, Horizon sold better than expected. Actually, the game competed directly with Zelda on the weekly rankings published internally by those small stores, and got some new shipment during the weekend.

Ōkami

Right graph shows ownership of devices on kids ages 5 to 14, blue line is 3DS, red one is phones and green one is tablets.

This is from the kids marketing whitepaper, no small poll or anything but from a book that costs as much as a Switch and Dragon Quest Heroes.

Notice how ownership of 3DS is above 50% on kids aged 10 to 12 and how it starts to drop just as the line for smartphones jumps.

By age 15 smartphone ownership surpasses that of 3DS.

Shengar

Is... is... Aloy considered a waifu in Japan o_O

It also doesn't hurt that the game has Mon Hun inspirations.

They really nail the combat feel and mecha behavior. However GG somehow doesn't even bother to implement other half of MH that is "wear the skin of your enemy" part and the hunting part become strange mix between satisfaction and disappointment.

Mory Dunz

There's going to be a "Horizon outsells Zelda in Japan" thread come Thursday with a Gif of the girl (Aloy? Or Alloy) dancing with a mechanical dinosaur isn't there?

Extrapolating sales conclusions based on single retailer rankings is never a good idea. :p

In general the take away here should be "Horizon and the Switch are both doing very well at retail this week", and anything beyond that is up in the air. Since they are just rankings without any numbers (Comgnet at least has numbers to show the gap for that retailer) they could literally be selling the same amount.

We can make educated guesses though. Concluding that Horizon should open well over 100k and maybe even 150 isn't outrageous.

Jacobson

so the sales of all editions of horizon still exceeded the sale of all the editions of botw (NS+WIIU)? if yes, that's fantastic for a new IP

Wow, that would be a great opening for Horizon. I figured it had the potential to appeal to Japanese players, so it's nice to see it come to fruition.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Currently, I don't remember, but which one between Tsutaya and Rakuten was supposed to be more Sony-biased, the latter I think...? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Both Horizon and Zelda had two separate SKUs, so their sum should give the better representation of the situation at least for those three retailers: at Comgnet, Horizon total is 276pt, while Zelda's 258pt (the latter with the already mentioned phenomenon of preorders > sales); at Tsutaya Horizon's and Zelda's are 1st and 2nd respectively, while the lowest selling ones see Zelda ahead by several placements (7th v.s. 14th); Rakuten is the one where Horizon is ahead both with the main selling SKU and the lowest one.

Yeah, we need to know what's the actual first shipment for Switch. Maybe around 300,000 units is indeed what they shipped...but it would surprise me that Sinobi was expecting a lot less than that, then.

At least, we can say that Horizon probably had a very good debut in Japan.

This is going to be the third time in a row a PS4 game greatly surpass expectations after Nioh and Nier. Can't be more happy about that, and Horizon is eating my life right now, with Zelda and Nier being next on my planning *--*

&#332;kami;231535867 said:
  1. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn (Limited Edition) - 265
  2. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 202
  3. [SWI] 1 2 Switch - 133
  4. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 93
  5. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 75
  6. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Collector's Edition) - 56
  7. [SWI] Super Bomberman R - 40
  8. [SWI] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch - 27
  9. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional - 25
  10. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 24
  11. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V - 22
  12. [PS4] Nioh - 19
  13. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V - 16
  14. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V (Premium Anime Song & Sound Edition) - 15
  15. [SWI] Puyo Puyo Tetris S - 14
  16. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 14
  17. [PS4] Winning Post 8 2017 - 13
  18. [PS4] For Honor - 15
  19. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 11
  20. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 11
Preorders
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 1005
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 69
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 59
[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix - 43
[PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 42
[PSV] Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 38
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission X - 35
[PS4] Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 32
[PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - 28
[PS4] Blue Reflection - 24
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Musou Stars - 19
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 19
[PSV] Blue Reflection - 15
[PSV] Re: Zero - Death or Kiss - 10
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 9

Hope that comnet got few units or something and isn't representative of all of Japan because those are dreadful numbers for all Switch games.

For some reaosn I thought the expectations for Horizon were 70-100k. It looks to be opening at 150-200k, even outselling Zelda.

If Horizon outsells Zelda I'll screenshot myself eating Dubious Food in BotW.

I'll make a thread with a dubious title

Eolz

I can feel already that this week's MC thread is going to go really badly...
(Zelda vs Horizon and Switch shitposting is not a good recipe)

duckroll

I can feel already that this week's MC thread is going to go really badly...
(Zelda vs Horizon and Switch shitposting is not a good recipe)

Yes it's only bad when people shitpost my favorite console. I agree. When fanboys get too invested or defensive and go all militant on people pointing out negative aspects of the console or games it is absolutely okay.

Vena

Yes it's only bad when people shitpost my favorite console. I agree. When fanboys get too invested or defensive and go all militant on people pointing out negative aspects of the console or games it is absolutely okay.

Raise the militia!

Eolz

I'd say the same if another console was coming out this week.
Seriously, did you set foot in any Switch thread since it's out?

noshten

What I find more interesting is that we are seeing such growth in terms of sales for a Western Game. I know eventually the Witcher 3 was a game that sold over 100k in Japan but it opened at 67,385. Horizon looking at those preorders is likely to do twice or three times that in it's debut. It also seems like HZD's shipment is able to actually handle this type of demand, since first day sell through was 60%.

2017 is off to a great start in terms of SW for the PS4, last year around this time it PS4 had only two games that had sold over 100k in retail(Yakuza and DQB). It also underlines the strength of the system as we saw four extremely well received titles come out back to back.

In any-case I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Wednesday to find out what the initial Switch shipment is. 300k to me would seem pretty disappointing if true.

Eolz

No I clearly don't read any threads about a new console I just bought.

Well I guess those are the other mods locking those threads then. I know you like to troll a bit on the side, but come on now.
It's the same at every console launch, there's just more concern trolling this time.

convo

There's going to be a "Horizon outsells Zelda in Japan" thread come Thursday with a Gif of the girl (Aloy? Or Alloy) dancing with a mechanical dinosaur isn't there?

Zelda is more of a phenomenon in the west i hear, it may not be a shock to locals.

L~A

Famitsu should share numbers tomorrow.

Hopefully we get some sort of data from Nintendo today, we generally get some for major releases. We won't get JP-specific data, but at least we'll see how many of the 2 million units from the Q1 2017 shipment were sold during launch week-end.

duckroll

Well I guess those are the other mods locking those threads then. I know you like to troll a bit on the side, but come on now.
It's the same at every console launch, there's just more concern trolling this time.

Yes, you are probably right. Concern trolling is the only problem. There is absolutely no problem of NIntendo fans being too defensive and fragile snowflakes. None at all.

Top Bottom