• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Green Mamba said:
Goddamn what an awesome thread. So much great talent, I feel kind of embarrassed with so many individual drawings and all that quality shit sitting around them.
Whatever, Mamba! You covered a spectrum of things from the series with multiple pieces! That shows some serious dedication, and you're way too hard on your work. Great stuff in that entire lineup!
(well, except for that stuff from sammy and modus. psh!)

edit: Top page?

Helmets are red!
Metroids are Blue!
Samus is rad and pretty cute too!

This is an amazing thread for an amazing series. Thank you everyone who contributed and thank you to Nintendo for giving us these great games.

Fusion, Prime, and Zero Mission are the best! :D

Metroid: Other M is so misunderstood... :(

oracrest

Hot off the press, up for grabs...

supermet1.png
supermet4.png
supermet7.png

still available avatars.... And some new ones below. I will probably bust out Metroid II soon here on my backlit Gameboy, and try and muscle through that. It's the only Metroid I haven't played all the way through...

supermet8.png
supermet9.png
supermet10.png
supermet11.png
supermet12.png
supermet13.png
supermet14.png
supermet15.png

supermet16.png
supermet17.png
supermet18.png
supermet19.png
supermet20.png

ShaneB

Keep coming back to this thread because it keeps on giving! Such an outstanding array of art for an incredible series.

Been wondering what the heck to play lately, maybe a replay of the Prime trilogy is in order.

Boney said:
nono he's happy that some people are showing appreciation instead of an all out blood bath like usual.

Yup. I loved Other M. I understand why folks don't gel to it, but I don't agree with them. No, seriously. Metroid is the only series in all of gaming in which I can't find a single entry I don't like even a little. I may harp on Fusion, but at the end of the day it's still a solid Metroid game. Other M was a blast and, like I mentioned, as soon as I can kick my girlfriend of the Xbox, I'll be playing some more of it.

Green Mamba said:
Goddamn what an awesome thread. So much great talent, I feel kind of embarrassed with so many individual drawings and all that quality shit sitting around them.

Thanks for letting me contribute to this thread of threads!

Go go Metroid. Here's hoping for 25 more.
Dude your work is fucking awesome :p But yeah I didn't expect the average fanart quality to be this good. I mean I know that all the people I contacted were good, but that all of them would create such nice art was unreal.

I don't think I can say it enough, but I really really really love all you art gaffers!

And thanks for making all those avatars Oracrest! I'll add them to the thread in an hour.

And damnit! Can't get the Harmony of a Hunter to download properly (The download stops around 60% everytime and says the zip file is invalid when I try to unzip :( )

Great job on the thread. I have tried to like the Metroid series but I just can't get into it really. I don't know what's wrong with me. Maybe this thread will change it for me?

MechaX

What an awesome thread for what is probably my favorite gaming series.

Yeah, Other M was definitely a misstep in my eyes, but even that really can't undo the years of spectacular prior titles for me.

Mael

rekameohs said:
This is wrong. Metroid Prime Trilogy uses the NTSC engine as its base, true, because of a charge beam glitch only present in NTSC versions. However, all of the PAL changes are in the game, including the Fission Metroids in Phazon Mines. You must be thinking wrongly because they are definitely there in Trilogy.

Yeah, no.
on Pal GC, in normal mode there's fission metroids in the deepest part of the Phazon mines just before THAT one boss. I don't mean when you come back or the blue shroom rooms. I mean you take the last elevator to the deepest places of the mines and from the next room till the boss the most common enemy that spawn is the fission metroid then again that might be after that one boss was taken care off.
The balance is out of whack too, on PAL gc you lose too much energy in lava rooms so you actually can't go through Magmoor without the varia suit. On Wii trilogy, you now can.
The game in veteran is definitely easier than normal PAL GC and I'm pretty sure it's not due to aiming because that actually makes the game harder.

Wow, forgot how many classic series turn 25 this year. Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania. Are there any others I'm forgetting? Someone with more talent than me should do a Castlevania 25 anniversary thread.

watershed

Banned
I'm sure this has already been posted but its my favorite Samus fan art of all time:
Samus_Aran_Open_Hatch_by_torokun.jpg

I just love the idea of the suit being more of a mech than a body suit, and it explains samus' sometimes almost not human proportions. I wish the next metroid game would go in this direction and give some weight and mass to the suit. You could still do all the cool flips and stuff but it would just feel different.

Nice Metroid Database gave us a shout out :) Very appreciated!

They also showed this work from Chozo boy

Click for a very large file

Also for some reason I haven't been able to download the zip files for the Harmony of a Hunter album. At Metroid recon you can download each track individually.

Man, Mama Robotnik's write up for Prime is breathtakingly awesome. Prime will always be my favourite game of all time.

Also I'm taking this thanks:
metroidanniava8.png

I think it's time to play some Metroid today. I think the NES game is still my favorite. Playing that for the first time blew me away so many years ago.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
VGChampion said:
I think it's time to play some Metroid today. I think the NES game is still my favorite. Playing that for the first time blew me away so many years ago.

Ditto. I think it's time I start working on completing another one; I've only completed Metroid Fusion.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I guess I'll do my part and bust out the edit I did to my avatar in preparation for Metroid: Other M.

To be honest, I'm not sure which I like more. I mean, Totoro eating Metroid, or Totoro eating a child. Win/win there amirite?

Excellent job, OP!!!

Now all of this is making me want to restart (and hopefully finish) MP3.

If that happens, we should dig up the old MP3 OT and starting posting names again to get all the tokens and unlockables. :D

Decided to update my avatar, too!

Kunohara

I actually recently picked up the Prime trilogy for the Wii, and playing through it for the first time. It is pretty fun. I did try it a bit on the GC, but I just could not stand the controls. Now playing it is much better. I am a bit OCD, so I have just been scanning the ever loving shit out of everything just to make sure I get it all. I still love the fact that after this, I still have 2 more Prime games to play.

i think my avatar as it stands is good :)

i forget who was kind enough to make it for me, but it was a metroidisation of my previous avatar done by someone in the Prime 3 thread. if i wasn't lazy i'd look it up.

obviously i love the series. wish we were getting something from nintendo. even just some news about what's next for Metroid.

K' Dash said:
I'll take this one, ktxsbye.

metroidanniava9.png
Unless you were the one who claimed it a few days ago it's already taken by another user. You can see which avatars are free and claimed in the Extras section of the OP.

Tracked my Trilogy copy on Amazon. It arrived in my city early this morning. Hopefully, I can get it today when the mailman shows up in 30 minutes or so. Here's hoping! I really need to scratch that Prime itch.

Edit: Metroid Prime Trilogy GET! The presentation is astounding. :O

People, need, NEED to download the Harmony of a Hunter music.

Holy god, ive been listening to it while working and nearly all of it is amazing, and some of them are outright awesome.
Theres no sang music like most of the OCremix soundtracks ive been hearing (thank god) and nearly all of it is orchestral type.
The bonus themes are some of the best.
-In the beggining is a nostalgic piano track with Metroid original title theme.
-The Mission Complete: Ending Suite is amazing, even containg the not usually heard ending of Metroid II.
-Kraids Campfire ballad is just awesome with the classic guitar.
-Desperation, is an amazing track of the last scape sequence of Metroid Zero Mission.
-The Crimson Depths is and incredible Kraids Lair/Red Soil orchestrated that sounds like epic movie credits.
-Phazon Corruption is music from the metroid saga with a real chorus, with Theme of samus and ending with Metroid Prime main theme.
-Theres even an awesome long version of the music they used for the Other M commercial at the end of the soundtrack.

Give it a shot people, hearing it has just make me nostalgic.

I listened to a fair amount of Harmony of a Hunter last night, I was outright shocked at the high quality of some of the tracks, but right now I can't really remember which ones stood out the most to me. Will certainly give it another whirl tonight.

Guevara

Man, greatest franchise in gaming or greatest franchise in gaming?

I just wonder what type of Metroid game will come next, and for which console. After Other M, anything seems possible.

ShaneB

Thanks for the Harmony of a Hunter reminder, definitely want to check that out.

edit: Just checked over the list of artists on this, very awesome, love a bunch of these guys, this will be fantastic.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
plagiarize said:
obviously i love the series. wish we were getting something from nintendo. even just some news about what's next for Metroid.
I dunno, it's always nice to have something on the horizon for a series you love, but I think a big strength of Metroid early on was how rare it was to get a new game in the series. With only 3 games over the course of its first 15 years, every new one was a huge, huge event.

Now in the last 10 years, there's been 8 new Metroids. It's totally destroyed that rarefied air the series used to enjoy to have so many releases, so close together. Much as I love the series, I'm gonna say Nintendo should take the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" approach, give the series a 3-4 year sabbatical before releasing another.

Shig said:
I dunno, it's always nice to have something on the horizon for a series you love, but I think a big strength of Metroid early on was how rare it was to get a new game in the series. With only 3 games over the course of its first 15 years, every new one was a huge, huge event.

Now in the last 10 years, there's been 8 new Metroids. It's totally destroyed that rarefied air the series used to enjoy to have so many releases, so close together. Much as I love the series, I'm gonna say Nintendo should take the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" approach, give the series a 3-4 year sabbatical before releasing another.
it's been a long time since the last Prime and since fusion. the two main series have had sabbaticals of that kind of length... and longer. zero mission was a great remake, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't the next game in the series.

Is it just me, or are the loading times in Trilogy shorter? I swear, I haven't had to wait for a single door to open since I've started Prime 1.

K' Dash

Metroid Killer said:
Unless you were the one who claimed it a few days ago it's already taken by another user. You can see which avatars are free and claimed in the Extras section of the OP.

Thanks for the heads up.

Electivirus said:
Is it just me, or are the loading times in Trilogy shorter? I swear, I haven't had to wait for a single door to open since I've started Prime 1.
Yep, are shorter. At least in Prime 1 and Echoes. Corruption remains the same (I think).

Top Bottom