• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Busaiku

Lord_Byron28 said:
It's not nearly as silly as journalists and gamers going on long rants about how Anti-feminist Sakurai is and destroying Samus' character in this game.
Yoshio Sakamoto.

Chuckpebble

About credits. I've got Trilogy ones to give. But I wouldn't recommend bringing back the OT for Corruption, the credits do not interoperate between Corruption and the Trilogy. Maybe we can just post friend codes in here?

Nevermind. PM me. My FC is in my profile.

Busaiku said:
Yoshio Sakamoto.
Yeah a realized in another thread when typing it out that it was Sakamoto and I had made a mistake.

Samus in Other M is still a badass but they don't emphasize it outside of combat. It's just natural for her to be that much stronger than everyone else and the game does make a point that there are things only she can do.

We know Samus is an amazing fighter, the game was showing the other side of her personality we didn't.

Honestly I actually enjoy the Other M story but the game assumes that the player has a larger understanding of everything that has come before.

For a game that "hammers" everything over and over, there is some reading between the lines in regards to Samus and the "deleter" which everyone thought was a dangling plot thread when really they expected you to figure it out on your own(much like the final battle)

Most of the complaints leveled at the game are exaggerations so I would suggest trying it for yourself the game is cheap enough. While the game is a sequel to Super Metroid, it is more of a successor to the original Metroid in terms of the gameplay.

I also agree with the horror elements being a bigger focus but Other M actually did that. The instant deaths, minimalist soundtrack, and third-person perspective gave the game a survival horror feel at times which made the more intense moments stand-out.

Now I've loved Other M from the moment I played it so I'm coming at it from a much different direction than most people. In all honesty I was shocked when it turned out that most people hated it. Even more shocking was that the review closest to echoing my opinion of the game was Kotaku's.
I really enjoyed Metroid: Other M despite it's somewhat annoying flaws. While I do see that towards the end after as certain event the game requires you to use your brain and not rely on approval or handholding, I think it was a little too subtle. While I thought it was smart and figured out how to defeat the final boss pre-credits and solve the Deleter plot on my own I can see and understand why people had issues. When the game hammers and guides you through everything I can see why lots of people would get confused at the 11th hour when it makes a subtle transition to Samus figuring everything out on her own without approval. I also understand what Sakamoto was trying to do with the game and love it for the most part but I think the game(Samus's characterization in particular) would've been better suited for a prequel to the original Metroid and instead of her talking about the baby metroid have her talking about her parents and the Chozo would've been more interesting, imo.

Personally I'd love a sequel that significantly toned down on story and chit chat, took out the 1st person perspective, improved the behind the shoulders perspective, added in nunchuk support, used pointer controls for aiming and shooting, focused a bit more on morphball puzzles/platforming and made the design more open instead of linear. Metroid: Other M had a lot of things it did right such as her flexibility and versatility that made her feel like bad ass bounty hunter when playing the game, very challenging enemies and puzzles, clever puzzles, great combination of survival horror, action adventure, platforming, exploration and shooting as well as brilliant level design. However, I think a sequel is very unlikely.

etiolate

Banned
Defending Other M's major flaws in this thread is like going to a Star Wars anniversary and trying to explain the importance of the Holiday Special.

Please don't.

jokkir

Oh, hey, Nintendo finally acknowledges that it's Metroid's 25th anniversary as well:
ad4t4.png

Not really much though :(

maeda

Why the fuck are they giving us Fusion? I still hold hope that Nintendo is secretly working on a 3D Classics: Super Metroid, or HD Classics: Super Metroid for Wii U.

KarmaCow

It's not something unique for the anniversary, Fusion is part of the 20 free games when they announced the price drop stuff.

Gravijah

maeda said:
Why the fuck are they giving us Fusion? I still hold hope that Nintendo is secretly working on a 3D Classics: Super Metroid, or HD Classics: Super Metroid for Wii U.

'Cause it's great and it means they can toss Metroid into the NES section.

EmSeta

maeda said:
Yes, yeees!

And does that tweet say MF will be available on Thursday? I thought the GBA games were scheduled for later this fall.

Alrus

maeda said:

If they're doing a 3D classic they're not gonna give it away for free.

EmSeta said:
Yes, yeees!

And does that tweet say MF will be available on Thursday? I thought the GBA games were scheduled for later this fall.

It just said that they would be available by the end of the year...so they could decide to slowly release the GBA set over the course of the year.

wiibomb

I don't quite undestood that statement nintendo made, are we recieving metroid fusion now? or is it just another advertisement for the ambassadors program?

KevinCow

Banned
wiibomb said:
I don't quite undestood that statement nintendo made, are we recieving metroid fusion now? or is it just another advertisement for the ambassadors program?

Seems like just an ad for the ambassador program now that I read it again. "Connect by this time to make sure you're an ambassador so you can get Metroid Fusion when we release it," not, "Connect by this time to get Metroid Fusion."

wiibomb

KevinCow said:
Seems like just an ad for the ambassador program now that I read it again. "Connect by this time to make sure you're an ambassador so you can get Metroid Fusion when we release it," not, "Connect by this time to get Metroid Fusion."

yes seems like so, still I find evil how they phrased it, may lead to misfounded hopes to some ambassadors...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KevinCow said:
That's how I took it.

But if that's the way they're going to acknowledge the anniversary (and I doubt it is), I'd almost prefer a ROM dump on a disc for $30 with a soundtrack half of which consists of sound effects.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Defending Other M's major flaws in this thread is like going to a Star Wars anniversary and trying to explain the importance of the Holiday Special.

Please don't.
please stop saying stupid things k thx bye

Boney said:
please stop saying stupid things k thx bye
He awhile ago decided that no one is allowed to have fun while playing Metroid Other M. If you do, he and other M:OM haters get really angry.

Oh, hey, Nintendo finally acknowledges that it's Metroid's 25th anniversary as well:

Not really much though :(
Seriously, I'd accept a 3D classic Super Metroid for its 25th anniversary.

beef3483

The greatest series in all of gaming. The best two dimensional and three dimensional games have "Metroid" somewhere in thier title.

topramen

Regarding all the talk re: whether or not prime games are canon:

A few more interquels like Other M mixed in with a bit of confusion regarding which games belong where, and we might start getting metroid timeline threads that rival Zeldas.

Nintendo's devious plan

Forget you haters. It had its silly parts, but Other M was an excellent game, with fantastic gameplay and a fun story. It also wasn't quite the character assassination that many would like to peg it to be.

KevinCow

Banned
topramen said:
Regarding all the talk re: whether or not prime games are canon:

A few more interquels like Other M mixed in with a bit of confusion regarding which games belong where, and we might start getting metroid timeline threads that rival Zeldas.

Nintendo's devious plan

No. While certain story elements of the Prime games don't fully mesh with certain story elements of the other games, there is still a consistent chronology. A few relatively minor inconsistencies are absolutely nowhere near the clusterfuck that is Zelda.

robor

Boney said:
how deliciously ironic

I was about to come in and say that etiolate over the years at GAF has proven to be better useful on an imdb forum and then this gif. pops up. What a glorious moment.

maeda

Gravijah said:
'Cause it's great and it means they can toss Metroid into the NES section.
Who needs the original Metroid???
If they're doing a 3D classic they're not gonna give it away for free.
I know that. I would gladly buy any kind of Super Metroid remake.

I am curious how many people have grown frustrated with the direction Nintendo have chosen for the series starting with Fusion. Why the fuck are they trying to streamline the series, make it appeal more to the mainstream? Am I the only one who would love a reboot, stripping away all the crap and building on Super Metroid foundations: complete sense of isolation, little exposition, intricate and sometimes convoluted level design, and most importantly NEW COOL POWER UPS and Kraid in full 3D! I mean we got it once with MP 1, and even its sequel somewhat followed mentioned by me template, why can't they do it again? Also after seeing Wii U controller, I wish they kept sequel to MP 1 for Wii U, since with that kind of controller they can easily innovate the best thing about MP 1, the visor system.
I can't understand the hate for Other M, for all the things it did wrong, it's got incredibly solid game mechanics foundation. Plus at times it has an incredible atmosphere.

maeda said:
Who needs the original Metroid???

I know that. I would gladly buy any kind of Super Metroid remake.

I am curious how many people have grown frustrated with the direction Nintendo have chosen for the series starting with Fusion. Why the fuck are they trying to streamline the series, make it appeal more to the mainstream? Am I the only one who would love a reboot, stripping away all the crap and building on Super Metroid foundations: complete sense of isolation, little exposition, intricate and sometimes convoluted level design, and most importantly NEW COOL POWER UPS and Kraid in full 3D! I mean we got it once with MP 1, and even its sequel somewhat followed mentioned by me template MP 2, why can't they do it again? Also after seeing Wii U controller, I wish they kept sequel to MP 1 for Wii U, since with that kind of controller they can easily innovate the best thing about MP 1, the visor system.
I can't understand the hate for Other M, for all the things it did wrong, it's got incredibly solid game mechanics foundation. Plus at times it has an incredible atmosphere.
My frustration began with the move to FPS. Hated Prime 1, and didn't bother with the other two.

Fou-Lu

Professor Beef said:
My frustration began with the move to FPS. Hated Prime 1, and didn't bother with the other two.

You are insane, the first Prime was perfection.

However I agree with Maeda I'd like a reboot, or even just a new game that brings back the sense of isolation. Isolation is the most important thing about Metroid.

KevinCow

Banned
I kinda wonder where they're gonna take the series next story-wise.

Another interquel would be a bit ridiculous after every single game since Fusion was one. Well, except Zero Mission, which was a remake.

After Fusion would be obvious, but we're kinda stuck with the Fusion suit that most people seem to not like too much... though I suppose that wouldn't be too hard to fix considering how often Samus just stumbles upon brand new suits that fit her perfectly.

But perhaps a bigger deal: The space pirates are gone. Ridley's dead for real. The last Metroids have been killed off like three times now. Where do they go from there? How do you continue a series called Metroid without any Metroids?

There's also the possibility of a prequel to Metroid 1, but I'm not really sure what they could do there. Still the problem of no Metroids, and a thousand potential issues with making a prequel.

I guess the best thing would be to just introduce a new major threat like Retro did with Phazon/Metroid Prime/Dark Samus, and go from there. And don't completely kill that threat off at the end of one game like they did the X, but instead keep it open for further development.

Keep calling it Metroid because it's just the series name, but don't feel obligated to actually have Metroids. In fact, I'd prefer if they didn't come up with yet another way to bring Metroids back. It's gotten a bit silly at this point. The Prime games just have them every-goddamn-where, and the post-Super games make it out like you can just clone a dozen Metroids in your bathroom sink if you have ten spare minutes.

aett

KevinCow said:
How do you continue a series called Metroid without any Metroids?

Simple. One of the GBA games said (in the manual, I think) that "Metroid" is the Chozo word for "Ultimate Warrior". So, the Metroid title could be referring to Samus... especially because, post-Fusion, she IS part Metroid.

Yea, the best way would be to introduce another major threat.

Fusion pretty much showed that the remains of Ridley were kept on that space station and it crumbled to nothing.

But if they insist on keeping the actual race of Metroids alive and in the games, it's easily explained by the fact that in every Metroid post Super (Prime trilogy, Other M, and Fusion) explains that continuous experimentation on Metroid DNA is happening all over the place by the Federation, so the chance of them cloning/breeding Metroids for their experiments is high.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Although a Metroid without Ridley would feel odd to me.

I have to play through it again to check, as I can't remember, but the Ridley in Super Metroid was killed, and was the Ridley in Other M a clone/experiment/creation?

I'd like to say that it was something of the sort, since pretty much everything in the bottle ship was some sort of test tube creation, up to and including MB.

KevinCow said:
I kinda wonder where they're gonna take the series next story-wise.

Another interquel would be a bit ridiculous after every single game since Fusion was one. Well, except Zero Mission, which was a remake.

After Fusion would be obvious, but we're kinda stuck with the Fusion suit that most people seem to not like too much... though I suppose that wouldn't be too hard to fix considering how often Samus just stumbles upon brand new suits that fit her perfectly.

But perhaps a bigger deal: The space pirates are gone. Ridley's dead for real. The last Metroids have been killed off like three times now. Where do they go from there? How do you continue a series called Metroid without any Metroids?

There's also the possibility of a prequel to Metroid 1, but I'm not really sure what they could do there. Still the problem of no Metroids, and a thousand potential issues with making a prequel.

I guess the best thing would be to just introduce a new major threat like Retro did with Phazon/Metroid Prime/Dark Samus, and go from there. And don't completely kill that threat off at the end of one game like they did the X, but instead keep it open for further development.

Keep calling it Metroid because it's just the series name, but don't feel obligated to actually have Metroids. In fact, I'd prefer if they didn't come up with yet another way to bring Metroids back. It's gotten a bit silly at this point. The Prime games just have them every-goddamn-where, and the post-Super games make it out like you can just clone a dozen Metroids in your bathroom sink if you have ten spare minutes.
I actually liked the fusion suit better than a lot of the other suits out there. With that said I believe at the end of Fusion it gives you back your original suit. Anyway, story wise it seems rather obvious with Fusion and Other M that certain members in the GF are corrupt and evil. Perhaps that will be the new threat. They also seem to come up with enough convulouted explanations on how certain dead things return. Other M established Ridley clones and how his species starts out and what it evolves into so they could easily work around that. Metroid clones are apparently easy to make and Fusion/Super Metroid made it out to be that they aren't all bad and they do have some use. As well as Samus having Metroid DNA in her.

For Metroid's future, I want a new 2D(or 2.5D) mainline Metroid that takes place after Fusion, occurs on a planet instead of a space station and is less linear than Other M and Fusion. I also really think that 3D would improve sidescrollers and I think especially Metroid would benefit from it because of it's attention to environment.

Also after seeing Wii U controller, I wish they kept sequel to MP 1 for Wii U, since with that kind of controller they can easily innovate the best thing about MP 1, the visor system
I love the Metroid Prime Trilogy alot but I'd rather Nintendo retire that gameplay style at least for a while. I don't think I could enjoy the series as much if every title or at least 3D title was Prime style. They were a great treat and I think they should be left alone, for a little while anyway.

maeda

I wonder why Dread was shelved. Was it just a mess of a game, or did Sakamoto and Co jumped at the opportunity to make a meaty console game, since they haven't done one since Super Metroid. In general I have been feeling Metroid fatigue for a long time. I get hyped every time they announce a new Metroid, however when they release the game I feel extremely underwhelmed, despite enjoying every single Metroid game released so far. These days Nintendo always seems to find ways to ruin Metroid games. I just want perfection like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Am I asking for too much?
Who needs Ridley when we haven't seen Kraid in such a long time? Zero Mission doesn't count since it was a remake!

Hey now, Ridley (even clone Ridley) is as great of a recurring villian as Bowser...only more evil and less comedic.

I do however laugh at how many times Ridley has 'died' just to be repaired and/or resurrected.

Metroid/Zero mission - defeated but not dead
Metroid Prime - supposedly killed
Metroid Prime 3 - Genetically repaired and phazone enhanced and supposedly killed again
Super Metroid - turns out he's still alive and then you kill him
Other M - you fight and kill a clone ridley
Fusion - the real Ridley's remains are kept in sub 0 temp but the body crumbles and is cloned for a period by the X parasite and X ridley is killed.

The dude has more near death experiences than a cat, and if not for the pirates having awesome genetic repair abilities, he would have been dead forever ago.

Uh-oh. I think I might actually like Fusion more than Super. I'm going to play Super again tomorrow just to be sure but right now Fusion is kicking some serious ass.

maeda said:
I wonder why Dread was shelved. Was it just a mess of a game, or did Sakamoto and Co jumped at the opportunity to make a meaty console game, since they haven't done one since Super Metroid. In general I have been feeling Metroid fatigue for a long time. I get hyped every time they announce a new Metroid, however when they release the game I feel extremely underwhelmed, despite enjoying every single Metroid game released so far. These days Nintendo always seems to find ways to ruin Metroid games. I just want perfection like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Am I asking for too much?
Who needs Ridley when we haven't seen Kraid in such a long time? Zero Mission doesn't count since it was a remake!
Originally, I thought perhaps Other M replaced it but based on interviews with Sakamoto Dread is a seperate project all together. I have no idea why it was shelved. The only speculation I could think of is that the project was never completely realized/ran into some development problems and Nintendo likely didn't see much sales potential from a 2D Metroid.

I also personally thought Nintendo went a little overkill with the Metroid franchise and Zelda franchise (I guess one could point out the obvious with Mario and Pokemon but I feel that's different). JMO but 1 Metroid and 1 Zelda per console is good enough as well as a spin-off/remake. I'd be more than satisfied if Nintendo made Metroid Dread and a Super Metroid Remake for 3DS then left the series alone till next gen. Mainly because I'm afraid Metroid may be in hibernation for a while.

Professor Beef said:

Sorry but I cannot help but disagree with your sentiment to the fullest. Prime 1 is not only the best metroid game ever made but it is the best game ever made. I'll give you the the lack of mobility but you gain an immense degree of immersion by playing in person. More exploration and less shooter too than super and fusion.

Brainiac 8 said:
Hey now, Ridley (even clone Ridley) is as great of a recurring villian as Bowser...only more evil and less comedic.

I do however laugh at how many times Ridley has 'died' just to be repaired and/or resurrected.

Metroid/Zero mission - defeated but not dead
Metroid Prime - supposedly killed
Metroid Prime 3 - Genetically repaired and phazone enhanced and supposedly killed again
Super Metroid - turns out he's still alive and then you kill him
Other M - you fight and kill a clone ridley
Fusion - the real Ridley's remains are kept in sub 0 temp but the body crumbles and is cloned for a period by the X parasite and X ridley is killed.

The dude has more near death experiences than a cat, and if not for the pirates having awesome genetic repair abilities, he would have been dead forever ago.

No, Ridley X is from the remains of Other M's Ridley.

One of the purposes of Other M was to explain how Ridley (and Nightmare) got on the BSL. If you go to the final area again after beating Other M, you'll see that Ridley's remains (and Nightmare's remains) are gone. The Federation took them before blowing up the bottle ship.

maeda

Lord_Byron28 said:
I also personally thought Nintendo went a little overkill with the Metroid franchise and Zelda franchise (I guess one could point out the obvious with Mario and Pokemon but I feel that's different). JMO but 1 Metroid and 1 Zelda per console is good enough as well as a spin-off/remake. I'd be more than satisfied if Nintendo made Metroid Dread and a Super Metroid Remake for 3DS then left the series alone till next gen. Mainly because I'm afraid Metroid may be in hibernation for a while.
These are exactly my thoughts. They clearly oversaturated Metroid franchise. One game per platform is enough. This way it actually gives them time to come up with new interesting concepts. To be honest I wouldn't mind series going into another 8 year hiatus.

KevinCow

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
With that said I believe at the end of Fusion it gives you back your original suit.

It's hard to tell by the sprite, but you can see in the final cutscene that it's still the Fusion suit, just recolored to look like the standard Varia suit.

Brainiac 8 said:

Twice.

Genetically repaired.
Supposedly killed.
Phazon enhanced.
Supposedly killed again.

All in one game.

Top Bottom