• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

DragonKnight said:
Sorry but I cannot help but disagree with your sentiment to the fullest. Prime 1 is not only the best metroid game ever made but it is the best game ever made. I'll give you the the lack of mobility but you gain an immense degree of immersion by playing in person. More exploration and less shooter too than super and fusion.
*shrug* I know why people like it (I'm pretty much against the world on this one, and none of my friends agree with me :lol), but I hated the switch to FPS. No big deal either way.

_Alkaline_ said:
No, Ridley X is from the remains of Other M's Ridley.

One of the purposes of Other M was to explain how Ridley (and Nightmare) got on the BSL. If you go to the final area again after beating Other M, you'll see that Ridley's remains (and Nightmare's remains) are gone. The Federation took them before blowing up the bottle ship.

I never noticed that, I'll have to go and check that now.

If that's the case, then the real Ridley is dead from Super Metroid.

Then Ridley X was clone Ridley...interesting.

And now Nightmare being in both games makes much more sense.

Yea, I'm thinking that Sakamoto has plans to make the Federation into the new major bad guys, and that has so much potential I wish that Nintendo would fund another Metroid game.

Maybe have the next game where Samus is on the run after the events of Fusion from the Federation because some big wig corrupt Federation leader put out a bounty on her. Then you would have a nice excuse to make and introduce several new bounty hunters all with a goal of bringing down the mighty Samus.

Then make it that he was the one that was behind the 'deleter' in Other M and the events of Fusion.

maeda

Brainiac 8 said:
Maybe have the next game where Samus is on the run after the events of Fusion from the Federation because some big wig corrupt Federation leader put out a bounty on her. Then you would have a nice excuse to make and introduce several new bounty hunters all with a goal of bringing down the mighty Samus.

Then make it that he was the one that was behind the 'deleter' in Other M and the events of Fusion.
This post makes me sad. Do you guys really want NPCs in your Metroid games?

KevinCow

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
All I want is Metroid related powerups in the next game. Let's use that Fusion suit!

6KTTR.jpg

If it's done well, it could work.

Metroid Prime 3 had NPCs and for the most part they were only in specific sections and the rest was by yourself.

Metroid can have a supporting cast without it getting in the way of the other stuff that has made Metroid great. I mean, in the end, Sakamoto has started what could be an intriguing story, why not finish it up.

But then again, if they can come up with a decent story that goes back to the isolation planet idea, I'm all for that too.

I thought that Other M went a bit overboard with the NPC chatter (I still loved it though) but Prime 3 balanced it out perfectly.

Madao

knowing Sakamoto, the next Metroid will probably have Samus giving birth to a Metroid and....

FUCK i better stop there.

Just beat Metroid Fusion for the first time. AMAZING game! I think I actually prefer to it Super but I'm gonna play that again to be sure. I don't like Zero Mission at all though.

maeda

DragonKnight said:
Just beat Metroid Fusion for the first time. AMAZING game! I think I actually prefer to it Super but I'm gonna play that again to be sure. I don't like Zero Mission at all though.
I'll never get people who prefer Fusion to Super.

watershed

Banned
maeda said:
Definitely not. I just replayed Corruption recently and the worst part of the game is all the npcs, from the federations troops, the general, to all the bounty hunter friends, its not what I want from a metroid game and clearly not something Retro was particularly good at either.

I want metroid to stay a quite isolating experience. In fact that's one of the problems I had with Other M too, way too many npcs, too many cut scenes, and way too much talking.

maeda

artwalknoon said:
Definitely not. I just replayed Corruption recently and the worst part of the game is all the npcs, from the federations troops, the general, to all the bounty hunter friends, its not what I want from a metroid game and clearly not something Retro was particularly good at either.

I want metroid to stay a quite isolating experience. In fact that's one of the problems I had with Other M too, way too many npcs, too many cut scenes, and way too much talking.
Exactly! Metroid is not Halo!

oracrest said:
Some new avatars for the good people...

I lost track of which earlier ones are taken or not.
Thanks again oracrest, you are saving me quite some time :) And don't worry I frequently update the avatar section in the OP so people can see which ones are free and claimed.

The way I see it the next game can go anywhere really. The story of Metroid is afterall clouded in mystery. We don't really know much of either the Chozo, Space Pirates, or the Federation.

Oh the Chozo bred Metroids on another planet besides SR388? New game!

Oh the Federation has another secret Metroid project this time seeing Samus as an enemy? New game!

Some new Space Pirates hack the Federation network and steals the MB code and recreates Mother Brain once again. New tourian... New game!

Just like I don't need some convoluted explaination on how Samus loses her powerups I don't need some convoluted explaination on why I'm running around and shooting stuff. Of course it would be nice if it made sense(and for that Other M was pretty cool about binding Supes and Fusion together). But I don't really care that much if it's sorta silly that the Federation is having another secret evil project going.

Sullichin

oracrest said:
Some new avatars for the good people...

I lost track of which earlier ones are taken or not.
supermet31.png

More to come in time...

Took this one, thanks.

I should probably give Metroid Prime 3 a fair shake. I just couldn't stand the wii controls and the game failed to capture me like 1 (or even 2). Playing through Metroid Prime the first time was incredibly special. What a great game.

maeda said:
I'll never get people who prefer Fusion to Super.

Matter of Taste. Fusions story and narration isn't for everybody, but if you look at the pure mechanics and controls, it's much better. Super Metroids Controls were never very direct and feel really sluggish.

Chuckpebble

About Other M, I didn't see anyone defending its flaws, I saw people looking past them. At least thats what I did. Had a good time too.

Sullichin

thomasmahler said:
Matter of Taste. Fusions story and narration isn't for everybody, but if you look at the pure mechanics and controls, it's much better. Super Metroids Controls were never very direct and feel really sluggish.

Nintendo is sitting on the perfect game: Super Metroid remake with Fusion/ZM controls. Where is it!!!

Branduil

maeda said:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the two best games in the series had no major NPCs, even if that's not the sole reason for their greatness.

Red

Ichor said:
Yeah, it's even less of an FPS than Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
That's exactly true. I get the surface resemblance to a shooter, but would you call TES games shooters? Amnesia? Scratches? Myst? Mirror's Edge?

Just because a game is first person does not instantly make it a shooter. Just because a game has shooting in it does not make shooting the focus.

There's no more emphasis on action in Prime 1 than there was in Super Metroid. It's about the environment. It's about the discovery.

Solune

QtcWd.jpg
548oy.jpg
rnnk9.jpg
YwF4g.png
y7qMT.png
QIfch.png
yjOFE.png
ZwvIl.png
SSXI8.png
09Pn7.jpg
1ZPro.jpg
IdF4e.jpg

I think I've seen some of these used before on GAF so if I made a duplicate I apologize ahead of time. Just wanted to spread some Metroid love.

Solune said:
QIfch.png

I think I've seen some of these used before on GAF so if I made a duplicate I apologize ahead of time. Just wanted to spread some Metroid love.

Oh dear lord. Hmmm. I normally had no intention of changing my av.

Unnnnnnnggggggghhhhhh.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
IdF4e.jpg

Snagging this one. The 16-bit Mother Brain one from a few pages ago is now free. Thanks!

DragonKnight said:
Sorry but I cannot help but disagree with your sentiment to the fullest. Prime 1 is not only the best metroid game ever made but it is the best game ever made. I'll give you the the lack of mobility but you gain an immense degree of immersion by playing in person. More exploration and less shooter too than super and fusion.
Yep, this is exactly my position. I would never trade the degree of immersion (that is the trade off for lack of mobility) for anything else. This is why I want both 2D style Metroid AND Prime-style. They both offer something slightly different but the spirit of the design is still very much the same.

The era of when we got Prime/Fusion and then Zero Mission/Prime 2 was my favourite time to be a Metroid fan.

Ellis Kim

Banned
etiolate said:
Defending Other M's major flaws in this thread is like going to a Star Wars anniversary and trying to explain the importance of the Holiday Special.

Please don't.
I suppose I should let this post die and not quote it, but god what a horrible analogy.

Magicpaint said:
Yep, this is exactly my position. I would never trade the degree of immersion (that is the trade off for lack of mobility) for anything else. This is why I want both 2D style Metroid AND Prime-style. They both offer something slightly different but the spirit of the design is still very much the same.

The era of when we got Prime/Fusion and then Zero Mission/Prime 2 was my favourite time to be a Metroid fan.
Totally agree.

I wonder in which console (3DS or Wii U) we'll see the return of Samus, and if there is still a chance of another 2D installment.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This thread my God...

I am in love with this av, has it been claimed?
metroidanniava70.png

robor

Sullichin said:
Nintendo is sitting on the perfect game: Super Metroid remake with Fusion/ZM controls. Where is it!!!

No thanks. After playing Super Metroid tonight, I find the floaty controls perfect. Why? Because it re-enforces the feeling of being a an alien planet, like Zebes has less gravity.

Also, something that needs to be stated. Who ever was in charge of background art for SM needs a god damn medal. One being that it has a perfect balance of detail in contrast to the mid-ground (where the playing field lies) and the foreground (in certain sections of the game). Two, how amazing it looks when scaling across any level in the game.

Oh and the scaling too. I swear I've never seen scaling this good in a game before or after. Not even Fusion harnesses the brilliance of SM's scaling.

Cranzor

How do you guys like any Metroid game over Super Metroid? I guess I just prefer more old school type games. I enjoyed Metroid Prime but all the collecting toward the end was really a drag.

I hope Metroid Dread is another 2D game for the 3DS. It could be really cool. Also, I still have to play Other M but I think I'd like it.

kunonabi

Super Metroid is my number 1. Other M and Prime just round out the top three is all.

I hope Metroid II makes it out this year for 3DS VC. The first Metroid game I ever beat and enjoyed it quite a bit, a remake would be pretty nice too.

maeda said:

Echoes had an NPC you met many times throughout the game, but I don't feel it took anything away from the experience. If anything, I think it only made the feeling of solitude stronger.

Cranzor said:
How do you guys like any Metroid game over Super Metroid? I guess I just prefer more old school type games. I enjoyed Metroid Prime but all the collecting toward the end was really a drag.

I hope Metroid Dread is another 2D game for the 3DS. It could be really cool. Also, I still have to play Other M but I think I'd like it.

WRONG. Had you went to the Impact Crater earlier you could have gotten them all during the course of the game before the end. And the clues they gave were more than enough to find them all.

Besides increased player mobility, what does Super offer the Prime 1 doesn't. Prime has a better, more fitting soundtrack, better environments (save Magmoor), better bosses, more interaction with the world, and the lore makes the world seem so much deeper.

Super is amazing but to me you're just shooting dumb mindless aliens and creatures while trying to take down Mother Brain. In Prime you get a real respect for the world you are in and the Space Pirates that you are trying to take down.

Edit: Inb4 prime defense force

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
It's hard to tell by the sprite, but you can see in the final cutscene that it's still the Fusion suit, just recolored to look like the standard Varia suit.
Well, even in the endings pictures you get the Fusion suit in the Varia colors.

I think it was just because they were going on with the template of the game, it'd be weird to be playing the whole game with the Fusion suit and at the end get a congratulation screen with the regular suit. And the sprite might be the same because they were too lazy to change it up even though there was the regular Samus sprite from the intro.

Guess we'll know when Dread comes in.

DragonKnight said:
Super is amazing but to me you're just shooting dumb mindless aliens and creatures while trying to take down Mother Brain.
Seems you're just glossing over this point. Which is the entire backbone of the game.

Boney said:
Well, even in the endings pictures you get the Fusion suit in the Varia colors.

I think it was just because they were going on with the template of the game, it'd be weird to be playing the whole game with the Fusion suit and at the end get a congratulation screen with the regular suit. And the sprite might be the same because they were too lazy to change it up even though there was the regular Samus sprite from the intro.

Guess we'll know when Dread comes in.

Seems you're just glossing over this point. Which is the entire backbone of the game.

Fighting the end-boss is the backbone of every game. Super's ride to Mother Brain is amazing but Prime's ride does a much better job of getting players invested in the world and its inhabitants.

Boney

Banned
DragonKnight said:
Fighting the end-boss is the backbone of every game. Super's ride to Mother Brain is amazing but Prime's ride does a much better job of getting players invested in the world and its inhabitants.
Not talking about the end boss, talking about the whole game. I agree that Prime does a better job at introducing the alien world to the player, probably the best in that regard, but in the end, that doesn't really matter to me all that much.

While Prime is indeed a fantastic game, Super is just a class of its own when discussing gameplay and mechanics elements and how they work perfectly with the level design. It's just perfect in that regard, and in the end that's what matters to me the most when discussing games. That's exactly why I have no qualms in saying that NSMBWii is much better than either Galaxy.

Boney said:
Not talking about the end boss, talking about the whole game. I agree that Prime does a better job at introducing the alien world to the player, probably the best in that regard, but in the end, that doesn't really matter to me all that much.

While Prime is indeed a fantastic game, Super is just a class of its own when discussing gameplay and mechanics elements and how they work perfectly with the level design.
It's just perfect in that regard, and in the end that's what matters to me the most when discussing games. That's exactly why I have no qualms in saying that NSMBWii is much better than either Galaxy.

I could just as easily argue that Prime is in a class of its own with how the scan visor fit perfectly with the world and acutally makes sense considering the you are playing as someone in an advanced alien suit. However, at least we agree that both are fantastic games. This thread is about love and not war, right?

Boney

Banned
DragonKnight said:
I could just as easily argue that Prime is in a class of its own with how the scan visor fit perfectly with the world and acutally makes sense considering the you are playing as someone in an advanced alien suit. However, at least we agree that both are fantastic games. This thread is about love and not war, right?
Of course you can, I'm not fighting at all, just felt you were underappreciating Super ;)

Love the cosplay btw

Cranzor

DragonKnight said:
WRONG. Had you went to the Impact Crater earlier you could have gotten them all during the course of the game before the end. And the clues they gave were more than enough to find them all.

Well okay. But that's not how I played it. I played it differently and disliked that part.

DragonKnight said:
Besides increased player mobility, what does Super offer the Prime 1 doesn't. Prime has a better, more fitting soundtrack, better environments (save Magmoor), better bosses, more interaction with the world, and the lore makes the world seem so much deeper.

I agree with more interaction and the lore, but that's it. I just disagree here, I can't argue why I like Super Metroid's soundtrack more.

DragonKnight said:
Super is amazing but to me you're just shooting dumb mindless aliens and creatures while trying to take down Mother Brain. In Prime you get a real respect for the world you are in and the Space Pirates that you are trying to take down.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by respect of the world. I feel that Super Metroid had better level design. Metroid Prime's level design is also amazing since it is great, yet looks natural.

They're both great games, I think we just disagree.

Top Bottom