• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nintendo EPD likes to come out of hiding every now and then and remind everyone who the king is. I can see Mercury Steam's influence but that Nintendo EPD co development shine takes things to the next level.

Last edited:

ssringo

Enjoying it so far. Very fluid controls for movement and shooting. It's nice being completely lost and having to use the map to figure out where to go. Not a fan of the computerized voice for Adam but it's not bothersome.

The EMMI are both great and trash. The consistent pursuit and forcing snap decisions on where to go to escape or fake out the EMMI is great. The one shot mechanic is lame. The only "dread" I feel is failing the QTE and sitting through a loading screen. Disposing of them is kinda weak as well so far. Proper boss battles are quite fun and I would love a boss rush mode after finishing the game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The best part is you wouldn't notice this one bit playing it undocked mode.

Even the Steamdeck version would look the same at 800 p. Actually it would look better on OLED.

It's sharp as hell and 60 fps.
Aye diablo 2R looked sharper on my switch lite then 4k on my big screen with pc

but if docked.. the OG switch..
It looks like some etch a sketch shit made by a toddler

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
The gameplay is amazing. I'm a little worried because I'm
about halfway into the "fire" area
and I hope we're not looking at a case where it's just the same thing in each area. That would get very boring. My gripes are:

1) So far the areas are not really all that awe-inspiring.
2) The music is fucking awful

But the areas are very large and the design is very good.

Dr Bass

Well I’m really digging it so far. It’s fast, it’s fun. The 360 aiming works great. Controls are rock solid.

But the music so far is lame and that bums me out. I was really hoping for another classic, standard setting soundtrack ala SM but it seems like mostly bleeps and bloops which just comes across weird.

That aside it’s quite fun so far.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well I’m really digging it so far. It’s fast, it’s fun. The 360 aiming works great. Controls are rock solid.

But the music so far is lame and that bums me out. I was really hoping for another classic, standard setting soundtrack ala SM but it seems like mostly bleeps and bloops which just comes across weird.

That aside it’s quite fun so far.
I prefer Nintendo's newer approach to music. It's less movie like and more suited for games like with BOTW where it's more atmospheric and ambient. Instead of taking attention from all the creepy otherly planet sound effects with a catchy theme it's just there in the background to give boost to the atmosphere.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Enjoying it so far. Very fluid controls for movement and shooting. It's nice being completely lost and having to use the map to figure out where to go. Not a fan of the computerized voice for Adam but it's not bothersome.

The EMMI are both great and trash. The consistent pursuit and forcing snap decisions on where to go to escape or fake out the EMMI is great. The one shot mechanic is lame. The only "dread" I feel is failing the QTE and sitting through a loading screen. Disposing of them is kinda weak as well so far. Proper boss battles are quite fun and I would love a boss rush mode after finishing the game.
I can't say the same, it's a little stressful tho less than I expected before... But some "sun a beach" made some weird noise and jumped scared thinking something came to me without realizing... it was a creature in the background, you know, those that doing their thing, hunting themselves, etc. Shit was very well done if you asked me

Dr Bass

I prefer Nintendo's newer approach to music. It's less movie like and more suited for games like with BOTW where it's more atmospheric and ambient. Instead of taking attention from all the creepy otherly planet sound effects with a catchy theme it's just there in the background to give boost to the atmosphere.
I thought BoTW had a great soundtrack that fit what they did in that game amazingly well.

So far in this game this ain’t it IMO.

Wvrs

This is my first Metroid game. I'm in the 3rd area currently. I love it for the most part; excellent production values, tight gameplay.

What don't I like? The map is a bit confusing. I never really played a Metroidvania before so I'm not used to the formula. And with all the backtracking, I hate how quickly enemies respawn.

E.M.M.I serve a trope (unkillable bad guys hunting you) I usually can't stand in videogames but here it's not too bad and satisfying when you finally kill them.

Any other games on Switch in this genre I should check out?

My only complaint is that it uses the analog stick, but doesn't have analog control for movement. It's been great outside of that. The tension in the EMMI zones is wild. Feels like Metroid: Nemesis, which I'm completely fine with. Similar to Fusion in that regard.

What the hell at that tight ass window to counter them. Don't get caught 😅

Edit: The more I play this, the more the controls start to feel like Super Metroid. Even the timing of the wall jump is very reminiscent of it.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I’m 41 and super excited about this. Still no news from MediaMarkt. :(
Whatever Nintendo's perceived issues are with the choices they made in regards to the Switch's hardware, one thing they absolutely nailed with it is re-igniting a lot of people's joy for videogames. Each of their big software releases takes me back to my teenage years waiting for them or Sega to release their next cartridge! Good times.

Last edited:

Rran

I get wanting only atmospheric sounds but this series has always had atmosphere to spare from the beginning, even when I was rocking out to Hip Tanaka's timeless soundtrack.
I mean, this song still gives me all kinds of moody vibes!

Still very much looking forward to picking this up today. Metroid is one of the greatest series ever.

Last edited:

tommib

Never preordering anything from MediaMarkt again. They had a bunch of Dread copies but my order was still not available so I couldn’t pick a copy to replace it. I’m not that bothered because I have shit to do but their system sucks.

They also have OLEDs available easily but they’re all in bundles that include 1 game plus 1 starting OLED pack and they go for 450 or something. It’s a good trick to avoid scalpers.

Mohonky

Yeh, this game is the fucking tits. Love it. I'm just scarred I'm gonna bash through this in a single night or two

Fools idol

Banned
wrapped it up just now. Overall, it was Okay. I would say 7/10 for me .

Not sure why it didn't really resonate that much for me, maybe I have just been spoilt by things like Hollow Knight, which as a metroidvania, is a much better game.

All subjective of course, technically and mechanically its great, though not really anything new here.

Velius

Banned
Still a couple of more hours till I get home from work... don't remember the last time I was this excited for a game, I feel almost like a kid again :messenger_grinning:
So as someone who was truly skeptical, and who is now about 2.5 areas into the game, let me give you the facts:

1) The music is good, but ugly. And I mean fucking ugly. I don't like it, and I wish they would have done something different with it. Now I have to admit the second area in particular has music that is objectively good-- it sounds like Igor Stravinsky-- but just like Stravinsky's music it's not pretty at all, and it's not meant to be. Kind of like Samus' suit. It might be intentional. I don't know. I will say that in that sense, it's exactly like Fusion, and nothing like ZM and Super Metroid. If I hear more tracks that go into interesting territory like I heard with the second area, I would consider the music to be successful, even if it's not pretty. I like Brahms. I don't like Gershwin. But Gershwin was undeniably amazing. We'll see if the music here is amazing.

2) So far the areas seem to be... very similar. There's variations on that theme but the theme is getting a little old-- I'm speaking just in terms of scenery. Now there's something you'll find out near the beginning that gives this a very logical explanation, but most of the time I'm just left wondering if they could have gone about it a different way.

3) The graphics themselves ARE amazing. I wish you could zoom in on the frame more, since the action is almost invariably panned well away, which makes sense, but I want the option to zoom in and appreciate the amazing graphics, run around and blast with stuff going on in the background.

4) Gameplay is 10/10, no joke. One area in I was skeptical, truly. But the guys who have been creaming on this game are doing so for a good reason. Once you start to get it--- it's fucking fantastic. Someone here said that Nintendo EAD has their signature all over this game, even though development was outsourced a bit, and they're right.

TLDR--- the game is fucking worth it, people who were shitting on it when first announced, like me, are eating crow

Marty-McFly

Banned

Not sure why it didn't really resonate that much for me, maybe I have just been spoilt by things like Hollow Knight, which as a metroidvania, is a much better game.

All subjective of course, technically and mechanically its great, though not really anything new here.
lol wut?

Hollow Knight has more in common with Mario than this game.

This game is way better on all fronts to me especially the gameplay, graphics, budget, combat and atmosphere.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Retailer cancelled my special edition preorder earlier today with no warning. Bitter doesn't seem like the right word but it has to be close.
May you all enjoy it as much as I would've.
Ongoing saga update.
Retailer could do nothing for me but offer empty apologies. Walked into a local brick & mortar competitor just now. Three or four copies of the special edition just sitting there.
qOxpBSi.png

Metroid is back on the menu, GAF.

Buggy Loop

lol wut?

Hollow Knight has more in common with Mario than this game.

This game is way better on all fronts to me especially the gameplay, graphics, budget, combat and atmosphere.

I mean, taste is subjective, but for me personally, Hollow Knight is for one, way too long. The traversal and QOL in that game sucks. The upgrade path is more akin to a dark soul where you find a niche/build you are comfortable to play with, but it never goes crazy batshit insane like Metroid games. In HK you’re kind of feeling weak from beginning to end. And there’s sooooo much padding in that game..

Don’t get me wrong, I want Silksong ASAP, but it’s not a metroidvania killer one bit, it’s kind of it’s own thing.

Velius

Banned

Taste is subjective. Having said that, I'm puzzled that you compared these two. I feel like this is quite better than Hollow Knight but I don't think they even try to do the same thing

Top Bottom