• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Dr Bass

Just beat a boss and defeated another emmi. The game is great so far. I LOVE the controls. So fast and precise. I do not feel the need for a true 2d Metroid ever again it’s that good.

I think I’ve said it twice but I’ll say it again. If just the music was better I think it would already be an all time classic. The atmosphere just isn’t there like Super Metroid. And I don’t mean I want an orchestral soundtrack at all. I would have loved something fully electronic sounding with dreamy synth leads and big pads. It could be whatever Nintendo felt best. I don’t understand the direction they went on this one. It feels worse than an afterthought to me and music in games is one of my big thing so … oh well.

I hope they explore this series with more unique entries that aren’t 14 years apart or whatever.

mcjmetroid

Those who say they love the controls. In interested to see what you think a few
hours in? I still love the controls but some reviews didn't. I think the game does everything in its power to avoid a Super Metroid item style " select" system but sometimes when I do the wrong right with the buttons.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m enjoying it a lot so far, just got to the second area.

Music could be better though. While Metroid is a game about solitude I do enjoy having some catchy tunes to listen to while exploring and backtracking.

carlosrox

Banned
I love this world cuz Metroid's in it.

I love this world cuz Metroid Dread is in it!!

😂 Hahahahahahaha.

Oh my God this game makes me happy and feel all kinds of SHIT 😍😍😍 ALL KINDS OF STUFF!!!

Game is a masterpiece from the GET. The goddamn controls, animation, art direction, atmosphere, music, setting, tone, and the OLED!!!

This game makes this world a better place 🤣

You could achieve world peace with this game 🤣🤣

Last edited:

tommib

Those who say they love the controls. In interested to see what you think a few
hours in? I still love the controls but some reviews didn't. I think the game does everything in its power to avoid a Super Metroid item style " select" system but sometimes when I do the wrong right with the buttons.
I keep parrying with shoulder buttons. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And I know it’s because of Sekiro PTSD.

tommib

I’m a big fan of the IP but never expected it to be this good, about 6 hours in now and it’s already my GOTY. Can’t wait to jump in again!
It’s going to be a close call between this and Returnal for me, that’s for sure. Anyway, amazing year for dark sci-fi fans. 2021 keeps bringing the goods.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My copy just arrived, fired up and played for about an hour on my 65 inch oled. Philips hue sync box providing the lighting vibes and my surround sound kicking the audio! Coming off the back of completing samus returns this is just absolutely Stella.

Blown away, and can't wait to play more. Metroid is here!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'll start it tonight I guess.
d2KDbAi.jpg

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Props to ebay I got the game for 35 squid with a poster and keyring and it arrived today.

Beat the first boss and the EMMI after.

Game is so good so far. This feels like it could be another goty contender with returnal, hitman 3 and pschyonauts 2.

Games got me close to showing my whole ass and hunting down an oled....

Last edited:

Porcile

Are three tanks of energy enough for Kraid? I have been speeding through so I haven't really taken the time to look for energy tanks except ones out in the open. Are there any simple ones I have missed? Samus Returns had surprisingly few.

Velius

Banned
Are three tanks of energy enough for Kraid? I have been speeding through so I haven't really taken the time to look for energy tanks except ones out in the open. Are there any simple ones I have missed? Samus Returns had surprisingly few.
Yes. Most of the boss battles that aren't Emmi's require a knowledge of movesets and phases. They're essentially puzzles and you don't need very much if you understand the pieces of the puzzle.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes. Most of the boss battles that aren't Emmi's require a knowledge of movesets and phases. They're essentially puzzles and you don't need very much if you understand the pieces of the puzzle.
Yeah. It says on the loading screen that every single attack can be avoided. Similar design philosophy to Castlevania. They'd require the person designing a boss to beat it without getting hit before it got approved.

Thaedolus

Biggest compliment I can say is that basic moving around and shooting is fun. Everything actually just feels great. EMMI areas always feel actually fun to me because its clearly laid out, your movement feels good and the save points are right there. I could see myself replaying this right after finishing.
Yeah, I get why people don’t like the SA-X or Mr. X/Nemesis mechanic in games, but here it’s executed to perfection and never feels unfair. Samus just moves so well, and when you think you should zig those fuckers zag and it’s impressive as it is fun

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, I get why people don’t like the SA-X or Mr. X/Nemesis mechanic in games, but here it’s executed to perfection and never feels unfair. Samus just moves so well, and when you think you should zig those fuckers zag and it’s impressive as it is fun
Yep. It is the biggest surprise to me. I usually hate chase sequences and Nemesis enemies. These are somehow terrifying and fun at the same time.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Played a couple of hours... E.M.M.I.s are dancing on my grave.

Can't decide if I suck or the game is legit hard. I can say that so far I died less in Hollow Knight than this but maybe I'll get better.

Controls are tight though. Samus feels really agile and responsive to control.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Played a couple of hours... E.M.M.I.s are dancing on my grave.

Can't decide if I suck or the game is legit hard. I can say that so far I died less in Hollow Knight than this but maybe I'll get better.

Controls are tight though. Samus feels really agile and responsive to control.

Depends on the EMMI. The Yellow bastard gave me trouble, but the rest were pretty easy. Maybe one or two deaths due to a mistimed spawn (enter room, dro pdown to land right on top of one).

Fredrik

I could see myself replaying this right after finishing.
Haven’t finished it but I already started a second save because the kids wanted to see it from the start, and it’s possibly even better replaying it, feels awesome going through the map and boss fights knowing a bit more what to do.

And this game is blowing me away. What a fantastic way to revive the Metroid IP!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Last boss seems crazy hard the first time you fight him but is actually one of the easier bosses in the game.

also anyone using guides for this game are doing yourself a disservice. The joy you get from figuring out a boss would be lost.

Also there are a few places I have no idea how to get to but I want to figure it out myself!

I will give a very light tip that may help some people. Something so stupidly simple but being dumb as I am I didn’t catch on until much later. It’s control relate

get use to using left trigger to instantly couch into a ball. This is very useful on some boss fights

Last edited:

Mess

It's my first metroid game, gotta say I loved it. Controls well, great level design and overall a few hours of gaming bliss that doesn't overstays its welcome.

The boss were all pretty easy once figured out and doing that was great fun. Gotta say I was not a fan of the EMMI sections tbh, it disturbed the pace and didn't bring much imo. Still my favorite switch game by far.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
great game but i guess i just suck at boss fights, cant pass the first boss.. i know all i need to do and how to do but its just random stuff i die fast or die at end , i still cant pass it . but so great all locations powers and such .
I can give you some tips if you want.

Mess

great game but i guess i just suck at boss fights, cant pass the first boss.. i know all i need to do and how to do but its just random stuff i die fast or die at end , i still cant pass it . but so great all locations powers and such .

There is no fight that is mechanically demanding, if you know what to do and still have a hard time you may be too antsy. Take your time, focus on your movement and damage only when you have a clean window.

scalman

actually most time game plays and feels so similar to sams returns even levels have similar style or same even. just on here you dont get those upgrades so fast i guess.
my kinda problem with boss is aiming with L and analog. its kinda tricky when you stressed on boss fight, its fine when you go on level and you have time you can back up and aim good but with boss it must be perfect aim or you loose so precious rockets fast.
i mean i can do almost good on first boss means almost means i do all wrong at end then and its become frustrating ... its kinda not my fault i play same as before i loose patience or smt .. not sure...
had similar problem on sams return with boss battles. charge beam then keep it charged same time aim and jump and then aim perfect and shoot... its kinda not simple lol
i watched videos how others do it on first boss and i do all same and i know what to do ... just when it comes to action it becomes hard to control all and be cool

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm ok with this if its what I've heard about. . What was the issue in Returns
Pacing just kind of goes into hyper drive and they get real lazy about progression and item placements and the slower, more exploratory nature that they were doing a pretty good job with up to that point basically vanishes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
actually most time game plays and feels so similar to sams returns even levels have similar style or same even. just on here you dont get those upgrades so fast i guess.
my kinda problem with boss is aiming with L and analog. its kinda tricky when you stressed on boss fight, its fine when you go on level and you have time you can back up and aim good but with boss it must be perfect aim or you loose so precious rockets fast.
i mean i can do almost good on first boss means almost means i do all wrong at end then and its become frustrating ... its kinda not my fault i play same as before i loose patience or smt .. not sure...
had similar problem on sams return with boss battles. charge beam then keep it charged same time aim and jump and then aim perfect and shoot... its kinda not simple lol
i watched videos how others do it on first boss and i do all same and i know what to do ... just when it comes to action it becomes hard to control all and be cool

Really? I have been getting a major upgrade every 20-30 minutes, with a minor upgrade every 4-7. Just killed the third EMMI too. I feel the upgrade pacign is far better here than it was in Samus Returns.

MOvement feels more fluid, faster paced. Counters aren't you sitting there waiting for the counter, but running and timing it well to keep on the move. Wall jump feels great and can get you to areas faster than otherwise.

As for boss, I think that is just something you get used to over time. I had *just* replayed Samus Returns via Emulator on PC (dumped my 3DS game to PC) so I was already used to the LB aim, RB Missile combo. Give it some time and it will feel like second nature. My only problem right now is the grapple beam as that is tied to RT IIRC.

Top Bottom