• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Cutty Flam

Banned
Adam is pretty savage in the game too.
I’ve only gotten past the first boss, but Adam is an excellent ally. He gives Samus the best intel available. Plus I’m impressed with the demeanor of Samus too. Even when the threat level is raised exponentially, she never frets

I’ve only gotten past the first boss, but Adam is an excellent ally. He gives Samus the best intel available. Plus I’m impressed with the demeanor of Samus too. Even when the threat level is raised exponentially, she never frets
I know, at one point Adam basically say accept your weakness and powerless. Well, the reason why she never talk is probably due to how bad it was with other M

NoxNyctores

Wait what do you mean?
It really doesn't get better:
Music, well, I don't remember a thing about it, I was on the final boss for almost an hour and I don't remember any part of the OST during that part, even less on any other segment of the game that had me much less time in there
Environments, one area looks nice and has a couple cool things, another area has one screen with a cool background, that's it, as for the rest a lot blurs together

Last edited:

lachesis

I traded in my PS4 Pro yesterday morning at Gamestop, and with that fund, pre-ordered regular edition and went there to pick up this morning.
The manager (pretty cool dude) told me about special edition - and I am usually not into collecting special editions that much - but it looked nice... so picked that one up instead. :)

6z5yzph.jpg

Very much looking forward playing it. (Except, as 1bit person as I am, I'm playing another game at the moment.. so this will have to wait.... wish I had multiple bodies so that one can play all the back logs and all...)

tommib

Played it for 2 hours and it’s absolutely spectacular. It’s everything I wanted from a Metroid game. Excellent atmosphere and the gameplay is tight as fuck. Also, it’s dark like I don’t think any other Metroids have been. Maybe Echoes.

Only defect is the soundtrack. It’s just not very good. Serviceable. For such a spectacle they needed to hire a high-profile dark ambient composer. Look at what they did with Returnal getting Haxan Cloak. Just hire fucking Autechre to score Metroid, Nintendo.

What a year for games, honestly.

Last edited:

ssringo

To be clear, Adam is fine as is his dialogue and role. I specifically don't like the voice; or more specifically, the effect on the voice. It's too computerized. Like, if the effect was dialed back by about 25% or so it'd be perfect.

Yes, I do realize Adam is in fact, a computer.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

To be clear, Adam is fine as is his dialogue and role. I specifically don't like the voice; or more specifically, the effect on the voice. It's too computerized. Like, if the effect was dialed back by about 25% or so it'd be perfect.
Yeah, agreed.

CuNi

I don't know where else to post this but I received my Metroid Dread Special Edition from GameStop today and in the parcel, besides the special edition there was a 0,5L Coke Zero...
Is.. is this normal?

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I don't know where else to post this but I received my Metroid Dread Special Edition from GameStop today and in the parcel, besides the special edition there was a 0,5L Coke Zero...
Is.. is this normal?
No. No it is not. I had just picked up my copy from GameStop and asked them after I read this post. They said it may just be a mistake or someone was being nice to a stranger.

Last edited:

CuNi

No. No it is not. I had just picked up my copy from GameStop and asked them after I read this post. They said it may just be a mistake or someone was being nice to a stranger.

Huh would you look at that. Thanks for asking!
It was right next to the special edition (which is huge compared to normal switch games!) and this was my first order from GameStop since I usually try to get everything through Amazon out of convenience so I was not sure if this was something they always do if you cross a threshold or just a weird coincidence.
I told my friends about one joked that either the person packaging my order had a really good day, or he is down one coke now haha.

Edit:

Just found out it's a German thing where Coca-Cola send the German branch of GameStop a few cans over and they ended up packaging them with some Orders!
Here is someone with a pic, since I didn't think of making one myself!

RPTr43n.jpg

...pick up that can

*rebellious urges intensify*

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned

Yes, I do realize Adam is in fact, a computer.

Little Mac

Anyone playing on a lite? Don’t want to buy an OLED because I’d play it docked almost 100% of the time of given a chance (meaning the screen would be unused). The lite is much cheaper but I’m worried about the screen size and text.

Dr Bass

Played it for 2 hours and it’s absolutely spectacular. It’s everything I wanted from a Metroid game. Excellent atmosphere and the gameplay is tight as fuck. Also, it’s dark like I don’t think any other Metroids have been. Maybe Echoes.

Only defect is the soundtrack. It’s just not very good. Serviceable. For just a spectacle they needed to hire a high-profile dark ambient composer. Look at they did with Returnal getting Haxan Cloak. Just hire fucking Autechre to score Metroid, Nintendo.

What a year for games, honestly.
Agree totally. Really disappointed with the sound in the game too, especially after Returnal. Ugh. So close man.

Thaedolus

Anyone playing on a lite? Don’t want to buy an OLED because I’d play it docked almost 100% of the time of given a chance (meaning the screen would be unused). The lite is much cheaper but I’m worried about the screen size and text.
After Digital Foundry’s analysis I’m only playing docked and turning the surround sound up to ear bleeding levels

NoxNyctores

A lot of folks have finished the game by jow, how is the replay value? Any NG+ or other things to aim for?
Hard mode, getting 100% and beating the game in less than 4 hours for JPGs that are already on Google, I suppose that if you enjoy those activities you'll do it anyways, but nothing really new

Jennings

Hard mode, getting 100% and beating the game in less than 4 hours for JPGs that are already on Google, I suppose that if you enjoy those activities you'll do it anyways, but nothing really new
I've never been an enthused speed runner so those jpgs will be forever out of reach, but hard mode has a certain appeal.

I have a copy of Bloodstaind Ritual of the Night here trying its best to keep me from dropping $60 on a 10 hour game, but as a fan of Metroid since my first foray with the series on the NES in the 80s, I'm finding it difficult to resist Dread.

Last edited:

Aldric

Played for about 5 hours, took my time, even tried a sequence break but couldn't pull it off. The game is really good. As expected movement wise it's the cream of the crop of the genre and I don't think anything else even come close. I don't even have all the abilities yet but it's already pretty demanding execution wise, things like Phase Shift and the new speedbooster require some adjustement. Bosses are a lot of fun too. I wouldn't be as enthusiastic about the EMMIS, but that's probably because I hate stealth in games. I generally just brute force them, they're not very punishing even if I've died a lot to them. Once you get the Omega Cannon and destroy them it's super satisfying though.

So yeah, very positive so far and I don't see how it could get significantly worse. We have a solid title here guys.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I've never been an enthused speed runner so those jpgs will be forever out of reach, but hard mode has a certain appeal.

I have a copy of Bloodstaind Ritual of the Night here trying its best to keep me from dropping $60 on a 10 hour game, but as a fan of Metroid since my first foray with the series on the NES in the 80s, I'm finding it difficult to resist Dread.
Hard mode rules. Becomes even more like sci fi NG Black.

Needlecrash

Bout to start it tonight..... After some No More Heroes 3 and Melty Blood Type Lumina.

My standard edition of Metroid Dread is delayed. Thanks Walmart and FedEx. I only ordered it for the mug. I already got a Special Edition.

Really nice game. Thought I was playing for an hour and ended up being two.

Solid 7/8, like REALLY solid. Not perfect but very very good.

Movement very smooth, music is more ambiance, like it, instead of tunes pumping all of the time. I think it fits the genre of the game more.

Backgrounds are nice, a few really cool ones.

Performance wise smooth except for a couple of hiccups here and there, nothing major.

EMMIs become increasingly difficult, managed to parry four times so far.

I've died dozens and dozens of times. Not a hardcore gamer, but like my challenges.

Nothing that I would say was unfair or unjust, clearly a question of getting the hang of it.

Bosses are cool, fought two, one more difficult than the other.

Loving the animations, how the game progresses and flows between areas.

Was coming from a xenoblade chronicles sequence so this was quite the palate cleanser. Really needed it.

From what I can gather, the game was reeeaaally tested. Seems very polished. Much rather have this than the Nth version of your open world action rpg whatever with micro transactions.

So far really like it. No idea where I am on the game length wise but probably half way. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Rooms to save and replenish energy and ammo also are quite present.

Also love how the game doesn't waste your time. Got caught by an EMMI? Die, load, repeat. No nonsense, no long menus or crap.

Just clean, sweet gameplay.

Oh man, games good huh? I'm not the biggest metroid fan around having only really completed Super Metroid so I guess I wasn't expecting Dread to be this good. I'm only like an hour and a half in but right now it's great, everything about it is just so slick and the backgrounds look great. I just wish it was a higher resolution, I know emulation is a thing but the Switch being able to run Dread at even just 1440p would have been incredible.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I haven't finished it but I think it might be the best Metroid ever. Including the primes. I'll still wait to see if it doesn't have any nonsense endgame bits.
I've played everything this year.

This is the rightful GOTY.

Deathloop was cool but had a lot of problems and Returnal was a lot of fun but the progression system left a lot to be desired. Neither a complete, polished and deep package like this. This is a different class of game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This was soo close to perfect game for me but...
The last half of the game became increasing just a boss rush. every other room it seemed was a double robots fight or a chozo elite. That really brought the experience down a peg for me.

HF2014

Its suuuuuck.... not! Ok im really digging it. Havent played entirely Metroid Fusion, but found the machines which give you advice kinda similar, difference now the machine dont pin point you to where you go, more freedom to go where you want. Not sure if the RZ button will have a later use ( im at the 3rd section ), but i would have love different button configuration so for aiming i would use it more thsn the left shoulder button.

Yeah, loving it so far!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's been nearly 19 years since the last proper 2D Metroid game was released (save for the 2017 remake of Metroid II on 3DS), and fans are eager to see the conclusion to the Metroid saga in the upcoming Metroid Dread. But, before we put a bow on this decades-long story, let's journey back to the planet Zebes where Samus' first adventure began.

It's worth noting that while the Metroid Prime subseries of games, spin-offs, and Other M do take place in the same universe, there has been hot debate around what is considered canon. So, for the sake of this video, the story we're covering is centered around the four main 2D games: Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion, which leads directly into Metroid Dread. With that in mind, here's the story of the Metroid saga so far...

OsirisBlack

Banned
Game is very very good. Enjoying it so far feels weird being over an hour in and not having the first power up you get in Super Metroid. Really liking the controls and sound design as well pretty good ambiance and music as well. Its also a bit more difficult than other Metroid games. So far 9/10 for me.

kunonabi

This was soo close to perfect game for me but...
The last half of the game became increasing just a boss rush. every other room it seemed was a double robots fight or a chozo elite. That really brought the experience down a peg for me.
Huh, sounds similar to one of Samus Returns' main issues. I'd have hoped that they wouldn't have made the same mistake twice.

Andyliini

I did not get my copy yesterday. I still have the preorder, but the store had some "unexpected delays" so they couldn't sell me one. Who knows when they'll get it.

Hopefully soon, as I still have No More Heroes III Special Edition from Pix n' Love, and they don't even know when they can ship it.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm absolutely LOVING this game so far. ❤️✨

Anyone dismissing it because of negative feelings on MercurySteam's older releases are doing themselves a disservice, especially if they are a Metroid fan.

The incredibly smooth animation with all its little touches, the incredibly satisfying maneuverability, and the sound design (which sounds amazing with the XBox Wireless Headset) all draw me into the beautiful and carefully designed environments and keep me there for hours.

Play this game with a Pro Controller and go hunting. Show 'em Samus ain't one to mess with! 🔥

Last edited:
Top Bottom