• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Fredrik

Ok.

After about 2 hours, I was thinking 8 out of 10. I’m now six hours in and it’s pushing a 10. Absolutely fucking brilliant.Can’t get over how good it looks on the OLED.

And comfortably the best Metroid game to date.
I’m not ready to say it’s better than Super Metroid but it’s the best game I’ve played this year at least. A 10 isn’t unthinkable for me either at this point. I’m playing on two saves in parallell, one by myself learning the bosses and where to go and one with the kids beside me in a smoother play through. I’m enjoying my time a ton on both saves which is a testament on how good it is, many games aren’t fun enough to replay like that.

Critics needs to do their job at the game awards. I want to see this nominated, I want to see it win awards.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I’m not ready to say it’s better than Super Metroid but it’s the best game I’ve played this year at least. A 10 isn’t unthinkable for me either at this point. I’m playing on two saves in parallell, one by myself learning the bosses and where to go and one with the kids beside me in a smoother play through. I’m enjoying my time a ton on both saves which is a testament on how good it is, many games aren’t fun enough to replay like that.

Critics needs to do their job at the game awards. I want to see this nominated, I want to see it win awards.
Its sitting at 9.5 for me until I complete the game and assign my final score. Could go up.

SirTerry-T

The good reviews took me over the edge and I purchased, despite not being the biggest fan of 2D metroids (haven't really played much of any of them, but I LOVE the Prime series).

Hopefully I will enjoy this as much as others. I was pretty dismissive of it earlier (looking indie, etc) and while I still stand by that statement a bit, obviously hardware limitations come into play and it's not the end of the world. Still not particularly convinced it's a stunning game based on the artwork (I think it could be a lot better), but it's also not terrible either.
I think the art design works because it is really clean looking. I imagine with more powerful hardware and the higher resolution, the temptation would be there for the artists to just add more "noodling" to every character and surface, which would make for a far messier looking game on the handheld screen.

I think if you mainly game on the big boy consoles and pc that is the most jarring aspect of gaming on the Switch hardware. The best looking games on Switch have art direction that works to the machine's strengths/limitations rather than trying to mimic what is available on other gaming hardware.

Another strong point of the game's graphics is down to the great work the animation team have put in.
Some of the story telling told just through Samus' body language is terrific
the single "fuck you" shot she unleashes when first fronting up to Kraid
is a great example.

Bit of a rant from me there chap but I do think it's a great looking game, all things considered :)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Everything in my body tells me not to pay 60€ for the game, because similiar indie games with same or even bigger scope cost less like the Hollow Knights of this world etc.

But all the positive reviews and opinions here make me wanna try it out.

WVMITNR.gif

its way better than most big games on any platforms.

SpokkX

Are the cutscenes 60fps on uhn.. pc?

And are the framedrops also gone there

in the later parts of the game there are many things that cause framerate stutter (fsst alpha effect like explosions etc)

these two issues really drag down the presentation imo

carlosrox

Banned
It feels so good to do anything in this game.

Playing it with the controls, knowing you're playing a long awaited sequel/it being a Metroid game, being Samus again, the feeling of backtracking, progressing, and getting new items and abilities. Feels so damn good.

And the music, visuals, animation, and everything just come together to make this feel so damn satisfying.

Well, some tracks are better than others but I'll wait til I hear it all.

Davey Cakes

It's a Mercury Steam game AND a Nintendo EPD game. The second you start playing, you feel that Nintendo polish.

Remember how perfect Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Odyssey felt to play? It's the same here, but for Metroid. Refined and wonderful. I've heard the word "slick" used to describe Metroid Dread and that seems accurate.

Last edited:

Pejo

Anybody have a real shit of a time aiming and kneeling to shoot with the thumbstick in handheld mode? It's fine when docked or using the pro controller, but boy that default thumbstick is too wiggly for how precise you need to control this game.

SCB3

I just started after failing GM Nightfalls in Destiny all day and yea this game already is something special, I’d not got round to playing Samus Returns’s remake so this style is a bit new to me but the first hour is really strong and the Robots are damned scary to come across when you cannot fight back.

I’ve gotta admit, I was shocked to get a game over within 5 mins of starting, that’s some classic Metroid stuff there

Cutty Flam

Banned
Well worth the price tag, even if you’re in Canada

This is GOTY. Halo: Infinite is the only potential contender to possibly match or even best it. But it’ll be tough. Aside from a slight frame rate drop whilst traveling in one or two cutscenes, this game is nearing 10/10 territory. Metroid Dread is the greatest Switch game next to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I think it’s even more enjoyable than Super Mario Odyssey, which is saying something. Definitely a top 3 game on the Nintendo Switch

Aldric

I beat the game.

It's very, very good. I don't know if it's better than Super because Super is a landmark in game design, codified an entire subgenre and is arguably one of the greatest videogames of all time but I'd say it's easily the first genuinely great Metroid game since the original Prime on Gamecube.

Mechanically it completely demolishes every other Metroidvania and it's not even close, Samus is a joy to control and the width and depth of the mechanics are amazing. Dread's movement is of course the 2D equivalent of what Mario Odyssey did for 3D (as in the best the industry has to offer) but what surprised me is that Mercury Steam managed to make combat almost as exciting. Phase Shift is an especially fantastic addition which makes battles so much more dynamic and intense. I particularly liked the fights against multiple Chozo robots in enclosed areas where you have to use the room's layout to maneuver and counterattack intelligently, it almost felt like a shooter version of Smash Bros. Bosses themselves are brilliant as well, definitely the best in the series and top notch even compared to other action platformers, the final boss being an obvious highlight. Finally level design should also be commanded as there's zero quest marker or overt indication of where to go next but the maps themselves are so well conceived they always nudge you towards your next objective without being necessarily linear as you'll be backtracking a lot.

If I had to give criticisms I'd say my biggest disappointment is the music and the sound design in general. The Metroid series has some of my favorite OSTs ever mainly thanks to Kenji Yamamoto's compositions and his absence here is felt. Besides Burenia's theme everything is completely forgettable which is a huge disappointment. Sound effects themselves are weak, with some laser effects sounding especially ridiculous, almost comical. I'm not a huge fan of EMMIS either even if destroying them never gets old and I appreciated how they became less of a pain the closer you got to the ending, in true Metroid fashion.

Overall Metroid Dread is the long awaited return to form the franchise needed after a decade of terrible spinoffs and an ill timed remake. Now here's hoping it's enough of a commercial success to cement Metroid as a regular Nintendo IP. Mercury Steam have certainly done their part, now do yours and buy the game. Best game I've played this year easily (and last year too).

We made it back home safely Metroidbros.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Holy crap, that second boss did a number on me. Finally beat him but not before it extracted many deaths and prompted a 5 minute break to compose myself

Kraid

Awesome fight but absolutely had me until I finally took a break, thought it over and went back with a more calm and considered approach.

That was really good boss design. The size of him and number of things he throws at you (literally) really can throw you off and lead to reactive panic, but it's all so well calculated that if you just take the time to process it and figure out the patterns, spacing and a strategy it becomes completely manageable. Hell, I went from getting wrecked by bouncing bugs to calmly popping the little bastards with a charge shot as they came out and completely regaining all of my health and missiles.

Ogbert

I beat the game.

It's very, very good. I don't know if it's better than Super because Super is a landmark in game design, codified an entire subgenre and is arguably one of the greatest videogames of all time but I'd say it's easily the first genuinely great Metroid game since the original Prime on Gamecube.

Mechanically it completely demolishes every other Metroidvania and it's not even close, Samus is a joy to control and the width and depth of the mechanics are amazing. Dread's movement is of course the 2D equivalent of what Mario Odyssey did for 3D (as in the best the industry has to offer) but what surprised me is that Mercury Steam managed to make combat almost as exciting. Phase Shift is an especially fantastic addition which makes battles so much more dynamic and intense. I particularly liked the fights against multiple Chozo robots in enclosed areas where you have to use the room's layout to maneuver and counterattack intelligently, it almost felt like a shooter version of Smash Bros. Bosses themselves are brilliant as well, definitely the best in the series and top notch even compared to other action platformers, the final boss being an obvious highlight. Finally level design should also be commanded as there's zero quest marker or overt indication of where to go next but the maps themselves are so well conceived they always nudge you towards your next objective without being necessarily linear as you'll be backtracking a lot.

If I had to give criticisms I'd say my biggest disappointment is the music and the sound design in general. The Metroid series has some of my favorite OSTs ever mainly thanks to Kenji Yamamoto's compositions and his absence here is felt. Besides Burenia's theme everything is completely forgettable which is a huge disappointment. Sound effects themselves are weak, with some laser effects sounding especially ridiculous, almost comical. I'm not a huge fan of EMMIS either even if destroying them never gets old and I appreciated how they became less of a pain the closer you got to the ending, in true Metroid fashion.

Overall Metroid Dread is the long awaited return to form the franchise needed after a decade of terrible spinoffs and an ill timed remake. Now here's hoping it's enough of a commercial success to cement Metroid as a regular Nintendo IP. Mercury Steam have certainly done their part, now do yours and buy the game. Best game I've played this year easily (and last year too).

We made it back home safely Metroidbros.
Loving the game.

I must say, at the moment (about 8 hours in) Ori and the Will o’the Wisps is still, for me, taking the crown in terms of movement and sheer joy of moment to moment gameplay.

But there’s not a lot in it, and that might change.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Holy crap, that second boss did a number on me. Finally beat him but not before it extracted many deaths and prompted a 5 minute break to compose myself

Kraid

Awesome fight but absolutely had me until I finally took a break, thought it over and went back with a more calm and considered approach.

That was really good boss design. The size of him and number of things he throws at you (literally) really can throw you off and lead to reactive panic, but it's all so well calculated that if you just take the time to process it and figure out the patterns, spacing and a strategy it becomes completely manageable. Hell, I went from getting wrecked by bouncing bugs to calmly popping the little bastards with a charge shot as they came out and completely regaining all of my health and missiles.
This game has some of the best boss fights I have ever had the pleasure of playing through and if you're crafty enough they have even added ways to pretty much one shot certain bosses, Including this one. This game is a masterclass in level and boss design. The sound design is really good not sure why people are saying it isn't listen to this game on a good surround sound system or through a good pair of headphones. The music is the weak point and its still good not on the level of Super Metroid or Prime but it is good. (That lightning bug fight song being a serious exception. That song was so bad it distracted me.) I've changed my score from a 9/10 to a 10 going through the game on my second playthrough there is so much to actually figure out if you take your time and try shit. They intended for you to sequence break this game and they reward you for doing so. Best Metroid game since Super and easily GOTY.

Last edited:

Aldric

Loving the game.

I must say, at the moment (about 8 hours in) Ori and the Will o’the Wisps is still, for me, taking the crown in terms of movement and sheer joy of moment to moment gameplay.

But there’s not a lot in it, and that might change.
I love WotW and before Dread it absolutely was the gold standard for 2D movement but I like Dread better, it requires more effort to pull off impressive moves but when mechanics flow together it's so satisfying. Some of the shinespark puzzles in this game are legitimately hardcore, require inputs that look like a trial in a fighting game.

Matchew

Just beat the 2nd boss, took me around five times to finally beat him, but it was amazing. This game is really really good. Like many here I'm not ready to put it above Super (still like fusion more too), but it's shaping up nicely. Even the EMMI encounters I am enjoying, when I thought I would hate them. A do wish I could control Samus with the d-pad and wish the environments were drastically different from one another. Areas kinda look samey.

Marty-McFly

Banned
This game actually has the best controls out of any game I've ever played.

Really fluid and intuitive.

I think it's so good it will even immediately grab the attention of casuals and hardcore alike.

Sales already seem explosive in North America from the data we have on Amazon and Gamestop.

Buggy Loop

Wow the game is so hard. I’m up to Ghavoran, I can’t count how many times i died.
One of the toughest 2D games in recent years

Astral Dog

Finally got the game today! played a couple hours, on Cataris

First, the game controls like a dream, every action, animation, frame is polished to perfection,the visuals look very nice atmospheric but im just not a fan of the EMMI areas.

I was expecting the Dreaded difficulty but so far its been a breeze, 2 bosses down and all enemies are easy to kill, however the Emmis have catched me a few times, i don't consider them part of the normal gameplay, but its something to learn and figure out how to avoid them, obviously this is still early and i had alot of trouble with Samus Return digger robot so we will see 🤭

It all sounds very positive, but there are two big points im not sure about, Dread lacks the charm of earlier 2D Metroids specially the soundtrack is very bland so far, and this Metroid IS very linear, yeah you can explore later but the game totally guides you and closes off doors you are not supposed to go. Its a mix of Fusion and Super(without Fusion constant twisting plot) so gamers expecting a traditional Metroidvania or Super 2.0 might be dissapointed with how the game guides and limits you.

Aldric

I can't wait for Prime after this.

I bet the artstyle and feel bares similarities.

This might well be the best 2D and 3D game ever.
After playing Dread I really hope for two things in Prime 4: the return of Yamamoto as a composer and more movement options/faster walk speed for Samus. I've always loved the Prime games but the sacrifices made in terms of mobility hurt them. I don't know how they could implement it but managing to include the speedbooster and shinespark with 3rd person transition like with the morphball and screw attack would be a huge achievement.

mcjmetroid

Super Metroid still wins in my opinion in area variety and music.

But loses to me in controls.

It's quite close though.

tommib

Gold Member
It warms my heart that everyone's complaining about the music. How do we make Nintendo listen to us? The music on Prime and Prime 2 was so good. I don't get why they dropped the ball here in such a lamentable way.

Ogbert

I love WotW and before Dread it absolutely was the gold standard for 2D movement but I like Dread better, it requires more effort to pull off impressive moves but when mechanics flow together it's so satisfying. Some of the shinespark puzzles in this game are legitimately hardcore, require inputs that look like a trial in a fighting game.
I can’t argue with anything you say.

For the record, WotW was easily my game of the year; loved it to bits. Dread is easily in its company - I’ll see where it ends up (for me).

The only minuscule thing that holds dread back for me, is the moments where progress is halted by an obtuse, easily missed block or pathway. I get, however, that this feature is something that many actively love in a more ‘hardcore’ Metroidvania; so my flaw is another’s strength.

mcjmetroid

It warms my heart that everyone's complaining about the music. How do we make Nintendo listen to us? The music on Prime and Prime 2 was so good. I don't get why they dropped the ball here in such a lamentable way.
I mean it's not terrible just very unmemorable.. it's fantastic when it's remastering the older tracks.. well the two of them anyway you know the ones.

It's an odd one. They definitely choose the atmospheric style over melodic. For atmosphere it's too notch.

mcjmetroid

I think what I loved about the weeks leading up to dread from its announcement and its release was how confident the developers were. It was constant gameplay footage, explanations of the mechanics and showing you the powerups. I was concerned at the time they were showing too much... But no they had plenty more not shown. It was just... " Here is our game, it's ready and we can't wait to show it you" and then BAM it released no bullshit.

One thing I'll always give Nintendo over the other companies is that they'll always show gameplay. Sometimes yes.. it'll get a bad reaction but there is very rarely the cinematic cutscene nonsense of other company reveals

This game is damn good, but man do I suck ass. E.M.M.I.'s and the first boss have killed me more times than I would care to admit. Definitely user error + a little bit of Switch joystick sensitivity when trying to aim down at the E.M.M.I.'s head.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The ending was so dark. I would have never expected something like that from Metroid, especially a Nintendo game.

Buggy Loop

Funny how they made Samus such a fantastic bad ass. No big words, just sheer confidence conveyed by demeanor/body language.

I hope the industry is taking notes.

I don’t know.. I think a tattoo on the forehead that says damaged would sell the idea she’s a badass more.

/s

SCB3

Man this is becoming special, I just beat the first boss (I think, a Scorpion thing) and I love the exploration, this may take Hollow Knights crown for me in this genre.

I have noted that the controls can be a bit messy, the Omega beam for the E.M.M.I robots was something I found a bit cumbersome, almost like I want the controls for the shoulder buttons to be flipped around, but the CP system is pretty decent and never puts me too far back

Marty-McFly

Banned
Man this is becoming special, I just beat the first boss (I think, a Scorpion thing) and I love the exploration, this may take Hollow Knights crown for me in this genre.

I have noted that the controls can be a bit messy, the Omega beam for the E.M.M.I robots was something I found a bit cumbersome, almost like I want the controls for the shoulder buttons to be flipped around, but the CP system is pretty decent and never puts me too far back
Messy is not the right word. The controls are succinct and work perfectly. Complex would be a better choice of words.

Top Bottom