• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread vs. Metroid Prime Remastered?

Which is better?

• Metroid Prime Remastered

Votes: 102 73.9%
  • Metroid Dread

Votes: 36 26.1%

• Total voters

Knightime_X

Prime remastered gives you multiple options for controls and allows you to configure them on top of that.
That alone makes Prime superior to dread.

jaysius

Banned
I didn’t like the EMMIs in Metroid Dread, and it also was a bit too linear for my taste. The world looked very open but there really wasn’t much to explore outside the main game path.
All of these things.

EMMI was made because the company is full of hacks and don't understand good game design so they needed shitty padding.

Completely agree with the restricted feeling of exploration.

Dread wasn't a Metroid game, it was a fucking mistake.

There are so many superior Metroidvanias that have been better crafted than Dread.

Also the art style was atrocious.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

They are totally different games and both are worth playing if you have a Switch and are interested in the Metroid series

that said Metroid Prime is a bonafide classic and pretty unique game, you won't find anything else like it 👌and its better to start than Metroid Dread

Fredrik

No voting yet but tbh I never liked Prime as much as the 2D Metroids, it was definitely better than Halo during that era but it’s old now and the first person perspective has always been a problem for me. Metroid Dread on the other hand is one of the better metroidvanias and was my GOTY, I love it.
But no voting yet.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's Dread because it is at it's core a Metroid game and is a new entry and not a Remaster.

Dread and Prime are two different things. Prime is a stellar and expansive First Person Adventure shooter.

I'd probably give it to Dread based on how fast and fluid it can be whereas Prime is a slow burn as you trudge through each zone after acquiring all your upgrades.

Dread also has the Survival Horror element going for it with the Emmi bots.

If MP4 goes the route of FPS Horror then that might be a more apt comparison.

Banned
Dread is the best Metroid game imo... so Dread.

the leveldesign, combat and controls are all a step above all prior games in the series IMO

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What’s with this obsession to compare everything?
That's kind of what we do here.

giphy.gif

cireza

The new game, obviously. Nobody took Prime away from us, the game was always there for anyone wanting to play it.

Last edited:
Waiting for the physical version of Prime HD, but Prime 1 is my favorite Metroid game, so despite really liking Dread it’s not really a contest.

Last edited:

SpokkX

What’s with this obsession to compare everything?

One is a 2D metroidvania and the other a FPS.

Have not played Prime yet but Dread was stellar, one of the best metroidvanias I have played and I absolutely am a metroidvania junkie.

The movement and moment to moment action were superb.
Prime is NOT a FPS

It is a metroid game played in first person (with lock on targeting ala OoT) and third person (ball)

Last edited:
I didn’t like the EMMIs in Metroid Dread, and it also was a bit too linear for my taste. The world looked very open but there really wasn’t much to explore outside the main game path.

The EMMIs really killed the pacing and exploration aspects of Dread for me. A bummer since it was a gorgeous return to sidescrolling action which I had long awaited.

Prime did the impossible back in the day, it successfully translated Super Metroid's amazing game structure into a fully 3d fps. I was prepared to hate that game, but I ended up being blown away instead. Retro deserves mad respect for that.

BlackTron

I didn't realize the opinion on Dread had changed so much. I remember the honeymoon period, people were going CRAZY.

I really liked it, in the beginning. It began to wear me down and TBH is not that great. It seems like it's trying to "be Metroid" by hitting checkboxes like difficulty and obscure breakable walls. I don't mind either of those things, it just felt like a formula superimposed over a meh game to make people say "omg I'm playing Metroid!"

Gotta admit, I never finished it.

Edit: It's been a while, but I've played a LOT of Metroidvanias, even CotM on a launch GBA with no backlight, and I never felt so nonplussed or incompetent with a map screen as Dread's

Last edited:

McGILLAZ

Dread is an ok game, always has been but nothing more. But i don't get the comparison, Prime is a 3D classic, it's not a new game and i would not compare it to a 2D Metroid.
totally agree - Dread is pretty underwhelming tbh...I want more 2D Metroids, but the last truly great title imo was Zero Mission.

Fbh

Prime all the way.
Dread is a solid AA Metroidvania but IMO it was nothing spectacular and there's plenty of solid options in the genre (Ori, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Guacamelee 2, Ender Lilies, to name a few).

Prime isn't just the better game, there also isn't anything out there that really scratches the same itch.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dread is a very solid game, perfectly worthy of the Metroid name.

But Prime is a masterpiece. There is simply no other game like it, and it’s incredible top to bottom.

Metroid prime is dog shit compared to dread. It shouldn’t be named in the same breath as dread let alone compared to. 😡 You should have made the poll public so I could pit everyone who said prime on ignore! 🤬
Spraying Keeping Up With The Kardashians GIF by E!

Bragr

Banned
Metroid Prime Remastered might be GOTY. I am sure Tears of the Kingdom might contest that, but not sure what else will.

93xfan

Banned
Metroid prime is dog shit compared to dread. It shouldn’t be named in the same breath as dread let alone compared to. 😡 You should have made the poll public so I could pit everyone who said prime on ignore! 🤬
But then you won’t get to hear all my other awesome comments.

You can’t ignore at the very least that Prime has the advantage in the soundtrack at least.

Now if this was Super Metroid, that’d be a closer race

Prime Remastered! What Retro Studios brings to the table for 3D Metroid is very cozy, exploring Tallon IV with the 1st person is just chef's kiss

diffusionx

Gold Member
Really should be an option for both, they’re both excellent, well worth playing, different from each other, and not super long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom