• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 forrest environment teaser

Forrest environment?!

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's the best looking Switch game bar none. It's the absolute best the hardware can do..

gundalf

Instead of the Second Coming, MP4 is realistically going to be like Pikmin 4. Another competent entry that does what the series does, which looks as good as it possibly could have on Switch 1.

With how long MP4 was in development it might for the best to not try anything radically new, after all the last Prime (MP3) was released 17 years ago and the formula is still kinda fresh to most players.
But after MP4 maybe its time to let the Prime series lay down and start with something completely new like proper space exploration and semi open world planets, dunno something like that.

Paltheos

Not the most impressive of reveals. As a guy who's played a ton of Metroid Prime, when I look at these game environments, what I'm looking at first and foremost is level topography. "Is this cliff too high to jump?" "How many doors are in the room?" "Are there any interfaces to my abilities?" etc.

What I see in that twitter post are a bunch of flat rooms and corridors with nothing but walls and cliffsides. There's nothing to spark my imagination for how I might actually explore the environment. As a trailer for a Metroid game, that's a catastrophic failure for building hype. It leaves me a bit concerned for what the actual game will look like. Hopefully Retro's PR team just sucks.

I think I'm pretty clear already but I want to indulge myself. For a good example of what to show off, think of the camera pan of Main Plaza in the Chozo Ruins of the first game that plays in game when you enter for the first time. The camera sweeps across the main entrance over the half-pipe and to the other side of the room, passing over the doorways on your left and the climbable rubble on your right and the overhead bridge. That sparks imagination. You could name dozens of rooms like that I'm sure (although the first one I thought of was Frozen Courtyard from Phendrana for its large, central platform surrounded on all sides by a moat and ice platforms you clearly have to raise somehow via the morph ball slots on the walls). Something, guys.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Bored Married With Children GIF

Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time. I’ll play Prime 4 for sure but I’m hoping for a Switch 2 reveal that showcases an enhanced version of the game. Regardless, the gameplay will be fucking amazing.

Last edited:

Hugare

Looks good, cant wait to see it after they finish including geometry, shaders and etc.

/jk

It look as good as Halo 4 on the 360, being honest. And for the Switch, thats fine.

Hugare

It changes how it looks in motion and how it plays.
The Office Reaction GIF

I'm taking about presentation without taking into account how fluid the image is or not, 'mkay? It could be running at 120 FPS for all I care.

From screenshots, they look similar. That's my point. Halo 4 looking game at 60 FPS is expected from the hardware. Looks ok.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The Office Reaction GIF

I'm taking about presentation without taking into account how fluid the image is or not, 'mkay? It could be running at 120 FPS for all I care.

From screenshots, they look similar. That's my point. Halo 4 looking game at 60 FPS is expected from the hardware. Looks ok.
Good thing we don't play screenshots plus power required to run 30 vs 60 fps is different too.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looks good, cant wait to see it after they finish including geometry, shaders and etc.

/jk

It look as good as Halo 4 on the 360, being honest. And for the Switch, thats fine.
It has way better rendering techniques and more complex texturing over all, not to mention it runs way better and in way better resolution

Apocryphon

It's 60 fps so easily better.
Fluidity and frame pacing are important and absolutely contribute to the visual impact of games in motion, but we can’t not acknowledge that the art direction will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting in this game. It’s clear that hardware limitation are going to prohibit many advanced rendering techniques that are becoming commonplace this gen. I was hoping for a bigger visual leap, particularly in geometric complexity. I’ll be getting the game day 1 and we have only seen a single short trailer so far, but what was shown is little underwhelming to me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Where dem colours at though?
Turns out it’s an intentionally desaturated and darkened video since it’s used as the background of a website.

Top Bottom