• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Metroid Prime 4 has big, massive areas to explore, visually unbelievable

E-Cat

Look at you all pretending Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and BOTW doesnt look swanky for that old shitty hardware :messenger_sunglasses:

And Chronicles X on that shitty old Wii U? :messenger_ok:
'Visually unbelievable' =/= 'Visually unbelievable for x'

The former changes with time, the latter doesn't

JordiENP

For those doubting, this game is being developed by elite developers and designers. From franchises like Halo, Deus ex, God of War, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc etc. I think it will be on current switch but also a version to showcase the performance of the next gen switch.

For those doubting, this game is being developed by elite developers and designers. From franchises like Halo, Deus ex, God of War, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc etc. I think it will be on current switch but also a version to showcase the performance of the next gen switch.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

JordiENP

I apologize for not being clear, but I fail to see your point. What's an 'Elite Developer?'

Every one of those franchises has some turd entries. A lot of them are the most recent ones.
Those developers are designing effects, terrain and graphics while retro studio created a new engine. Say what you want about the quality of those games, but Battlefield 5 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst still look amazing.

I'm talking about the visual aspects just like the thread. Metroid Prime remastered looks amazing for a switch game, Metroid Prime 4 obviously gonna look miles better.

Last edited:
Those developers are designing effects, terrain and graphics while retro studio created a new engine. Say what you want about the quality of those games, but Battlefield 5 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst still look amazing.

I'm talking about the visual aspects just like the thread. Metroid Prime remastered looks amazing for a switch game, Metroid Prime 4 obviously gonna look miles better.
Got it. It wasn't immediately clear to me what you meant.

Regginator

Not that I put any credit in these rumours, but wouldn't "massive areas to explore" be counter to the Metroid game design and philosophy? Unless they mean it's massive when it eventually opens up when getting all gear and items.

Anyway, I trust Retro.

Regginator

My takeaway is just something like Metroid Prime but with a seamless map, i.e. without ‘door loading’ between sections. But that could be way off I guess.

I suppose that's a possibility. Never really thought about not having doors in a Metroid game, but Retro may have found some gameplay substitutions for that.

Robb

Gold Member
I suppose that's a possibility. Never really thought about not having doors in a Metroid game, but Retro may have found some gameplay substitutions for that.
Yeah I have no idea. The ‘door loading’ just feels like a solution they used back in the day because they couldn’t do a seamless map and were forced to section things off.

I’m sure you can still do the same kind of thing (forcing you to use a new beam to open a pathway, for example) in a more ‘organic’ fashion than those doors.

UnNamed

Banned
At this point Nintendo/Retro should release this game on the next gen platform.

I would really hate to see ports and remasters on the new platform instead of native games. This gen with PS5/XSX is pretty shitty, but gamers are used to this now sadly.

So the new Metroid Prime has big areas and looks really good. Dang!

And here I was, thinking after 5 years of development it would have really small areas and look terrible.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Launch title vs Switch installed base tho
Metroid doesn’t make big numbers. Nintendo would gain more than they‘d lose by making this a launch exclusive, especially if their next system is in the $400 territory. Metroid would boost early adopting by enthusiasts who have no qualms about spending a little more to be there on day one.

E-Cat

Metroid doesn’t make big numbers. Nintendo would gain more than they‘d lose by making this a launch exclusive, especially if their next system is in the $400 territory. Metroid would boost early adopting by enthusiasts who have no qualms about spending a little more to be there on day one.
I think the biggest gain from being a launch exclusive would be taking full advantage of the power of Switch 2.

Launch title vs Switch installed base tho

Current active user base of an aging/old console is far more accurate way to predict software sales for something like Switch than just saying “oh look how many copies you could sell, there’s a 130 mil install base!”. When a system is 6-7 years matured out in the market, and has had multiple revisions, many tend to be owned by the same person, multiple Switches in a single household, or people that played it back in 2017/2018 and have since moved on and aren’t gonna bring it out of retirement just for one game. It’s just not a good predictor.

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone is mocking the "visually unbelievable" comment. The environments in both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom ARE unbelievable given the hardware limitations. Both of those games are the embodiment of 80's Dragon's Lair nostalgia, but with more visually pleasing graphics, and a massively explorable and interactive world instead of onscreen button prompts. If Metroid prime 4 goes for an animated world similar to BotW and TotK we will all be in for a treat.

So I'm guessing but, MP2R will be this fall with MP3R next spring? That gets all 3 games out there before Holiday '24 and the Switch 2 launch.

Switch 2 is going to be wild. Probably going to be the first ever Nintendo console I get day 1.

Buggy Loop

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Not that i don't think its impossible

But that doesn't sound very "Retro studio" ish. They go for pure game mechanics. Why would they drastically change the recipe.

Last edited:

mysticboy

If it looks like Halo 4 (for example) with Halo Infinite's scope, then that would very well be "visually unbelievable" on the Switch.

NinjaBoiX

It really feels like this is going to be a switch 2 launch title, but I’m not sure how technologically stymied it’s going to be given that almost guaranteed outcome?

From my limited understanding the likely chipset to be used in Switch 2 will probably play nice with scaling for a downgraded Switch 1 version.

In fact, it could be a fantastic incentive for people to upgrade, it’s probably all part of the plan…

Matsuchezz

It's obviously not a Switch game anymore.
Even if the game was designed for the highest end graphic card or PC in the market. Nintendon’t would deliver a bland graphical experience. They just do not want to spend the dollars on making pretty games functional games that make a lot of money is their thing. Long gone are the days where Nintendo games aimed for the state of the art graphics. U

It’s more believable that the game is not graphically unbelievable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom