• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Rodriguez talks about GameCube

ChrisReid

XS+ said:
Dumbest comment ever. With games like MGS3, the "technical capabilities" of the Xbox are irrelevant.

How in the hell does that make sense? Nobody can deny the physical processor speed, memory, etc are superior on the XBox. If and when they make a MGS upgrade on the XBox, it'll be even better. That's not irrelevant. Technical capabilities also include things like not having to buy a memory card and being able to use custom soundtracks. I can't copy my mp3s from my computer to my PS2 hard drive and have them replace the horrible music in Burnout 3. I can't go to a karaoke website and pick from thousands of songs which ones I'd like to download and play in the karaoke music mixer. Irrelevant, HA.

AssMan said:
Michelle Rodriguez is one ugly bish. She's got an Amazon grill.

I sorta AWTP.

She was cool when she did Girlfight and then promptly sold out to be some hollywood cock whore. Absolutely disgraceful how she went from okay to ho; every fucking movie she runs around like she's tough.. only cause she's bulldog ugly and manlike - non of that GirlFight sensivity in her latter roles.

Boo Urnn

She is right about the gamecube though.

Do The Mario said:
If she came to anybody in this threads house, apartment etc.. and said “lets fuck” they would gladly oblige.

I'll agree with your opinions baby, oh yeah, just don't stop the rhythmic gyrating motions and don't look over at that GCN perched in the corner of my love den, oh yeah.

Lakitu

st5fu
Amir0x said:
You have got to be kidding me.

Games can't even breathe in the general direction of film stories yet.

Erm, yes they can, I've had a much emotional time playing games and enjoying their stories than watching movies lately.

Tellaerin

Heliocentric said:
Watch a lot of crappy films, eh?

At least he's capable of becoming emotionally engaged by the stories of the games he plays. That's more than I can say for the people who dismiss stories in games as 'stupid' or 'pointless', and proudly proclaim that they 'only play games for the gameplay. (This apparently makes them more 'hardcore' than people whose enjoyment of a game is influenced in part by the settings, characters, and plot.) I think preconceptions like those are a far greater obstacle to people embracing the narrative dimension of games than any deficiencies in the games themselves. :p

Socreges

Banned
Lakitu said:
Erm, yes they can, I've had a much emotional time playing games and enjoying their stories than watching movies lately.
I think that's mostly because you're more attached (interaction).

I agree that direction, dialogue, plot, etc in videogames is far from the quality of movies, generally speaking. The best videogame direction (MGS3?) is better than the worst motion picture direction (any number of examples).

Dujour

Banned
she was one of the voices of the marines in halo 2. So was laura pepron. Whatever her name is from that 70s show

Well, gaming is big enough for games that have different implements as far as the story.
MGS is a series which uses a lot of cutscenes. And it works for that game. But I'm not sure that would make a Legend of Zelda game or a Mario game much better. It'd just sit on top of what's already there. You strip away all of those codecs and cut scenes and what's there in MGS?
Some disorganized snippets of gameplay that don't make sense.
Personally I think the opening theme of any Zelda game tells more of a worthy story than the entire Jak trilogy combined in every aspect of its existance.
Now, a game like Deus Ex or KOTOR? That's the kind of storytelling I want to see more of.
But at the same time, doesn't do for me what a movie like Taxi Driver, Shortcuts, Breaking the Waves, Blue Velvet can do. Not even close. I'd say Wind Waker or Resident Evil gets closer to those sort of feeling than any codec scene or Tidus and Yuna love triangle.

gogogow

ca_gc.jpg

Hi, my name is Christina Aguilera, i like to play Mario Party battles with my sis and.....who are u, Michelle....what? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
All I know is that the GameCube has better co-op games and nothing helps a relationship more than a game of Animal Crossing or Mario Party. It's a simple fact. I don't care how tough you are, those games bring people together.

" You strip away all of those codecs and cut scenes and what's there in MGS?
Some disorganized snippets of gameplay that don't make sense."

You strip that all away and you're still left with the best stealth games out there. The series wouldn't get all the high scores and consumer praise if they were just nice cutscenes and stories as you're suggesting.

"I'd say Wind Waker or Resident Evil gets closer to those sort of feeling than any codec scene or Tidus and Yuna love triangle."

There was a love triangle? Who was the third person? Tidus' dad?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SolidSnakex said:
" You strip away all of those codecs and cut scenes and what's there in MGS?
Some disorganized snippets of gameplay that don't make sense."

You strip that all away and you're still left with the best stealth games out there. The series wouldn't get all the high scores and consumer praise if they were just nice cutscenes and stories as you're suggesting.

I'm suddenly really, really curious to see what magazine reviews for Night Trap were when they first came out.

DavidDayton said:
I'm suddenly really, really curious to see what magazine reviews for Night Trap were when they first came out.

You aren't trying to compare the quality of a MG game to Night Trap are you?

wazoo

SolidSnakex said:
You aren't trying to compare the quality of a MG game to Night Trap are you?

I still have a 3DO mag review of Night Trap back in the days.

Good quotes were like "amazing", "revolution", and the best was "so many possiblities, you will not be able to finish it alone" :D

Izzy

Banned
ChrisReid said:
How in the hell does that make sense? Nobody can deny the physical processor speed, memory, etc are superior on the XBox. If and when they make a MGS upgrade on the XBox, it'll be even better.

MGS2 Substance.

Deg

Banned
She obviously rehearsed her answer. Its all about havinging a consistent image. Which is exactly what she did in that Q&A with PS2 and GC. Is her answer a surprise? Not at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If and when they make a MGS upgrade on the XBox, it'll be even better.

Yeah, as Izzy pointed out...MGS2-Substance for XBOX was terrible looking compared to the PS2 version.

ourumov

Particle effects are not the strong point of XBOX...I would like to see how a ZOE2 port would run on the XBOX...

ge-man

dark10x said:
Yeah, as Izzy pointed out...MGS2-Substance for XBOX was terrible looking compared to the PS2 version.

That's poor example, however. That's no different than pointing to MG:TTS to show inferiority.

I think the whole power issue is overblown, however. All three system have their strengths and at the end of the day neither machine stomps the other ones with its power.

ge-man said:
That's poor example, however. That's no different than pointing to MG:TTS to show inferiority.

I think the whole power issue is overblown, however. All three system have their strengths and at the end of the day neither machine stomps the other ones with its power.

The Xbox does, it's just not at the advantage of the third parties, which is why we don't see that many impressive games on Xbox.

ge-man

Littleberu said:
The Xbox does, it's just not at the advantage of the third parties, which is why we don't see that many impressive games on Xbox.

How do you quantify it? That's the problem. I don't think that fact that you see more bump-mapped games or high poly games should be consider the defining factors. What about fillrate--the PS2 eats the other consoles for breakfast in this regard. And the GC's static T&L gives it a nice speed advantage in certain situations. Our any of these features less significant than the Xbox's?

Yes, 3rd parties aren't likely tapping into the full potential of the system, but the same could be across the board (including the PS2.) This is inevitable with multiplatform development--the developers are going to stay away from some of the bigger system optimizations for sake of time and money.

AssMan

Banned
God damn you people fucking lame. Don't you get tired of arguing over the same idiotic bullshit 24/7?

THIS JUST IN: MIYAMOTO COMMITS SUICIDE DUE TO THE COMMENTS MADE ABOUT GCN BY MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ. FULL STORY AT 11.

Amir0x

Banned
Lakitu said:

Yeah, that's just because you watch garbage movies.

Fantasmo

To everybody who is mad at people defending their systems: welcome to GAF.

To everybody who doesn't understand why she would do this: She's an angry, blunt girl who craves and needs attention. She loves her aggressive games and hating GC falls into her need for attention as well as her aggression since the other systems have the adult gaming connotation, while GC obviously has the opposite.

And without care for anything she's said game-related: she's ugly and her acting skills suck. (I hope I'm not breaking TOS by saying that). I find her offensive but not because she's trashy (commonly held opinion). Mainly because I see her as selfish and classless, and wholly unintelligent. Though she must have some brains to get herself hired so often.

Ever since I found this thread I watched and read each page... and now, I unveil THIS!

bluecrushRpt.jpg

Heh... Good acting.. I can't argue she's at least getting work, which is what actors do.

Her opinion I could care less about. But if it gives fan boys and excuse to fight, gain kudos and prestige amongst other fanboys, or take their high horse on a ride around the forum, well 6+ pages can't lie.

Lakitu

st5fu
Amir0x said:

Almost nothing in the cinema this year has impressed me, the last time I was emotionally engaged in a movie was Return of the King, so if you have recommendations, then by any means bring them by me. I really really wanted to enjoy the movies I've seen this year, but no. Hero however, amazing, but it's a foreign film, not from Hollywood.

Amir0x

Banned
Lakitu said:
Almost nothing in the cinema this year has impressed me, the last time I was emotionally engaged in a movie was Return of the King, so if you have recommendations, then by any means bring them by me. I really really wanted to enjoy the movies I've seen this year, but no. Hero however, amazing, but it's a foreign film, not from Hollywood.

Ok, I will put aside how hilariously wrong you are about videogame stories in comparrison to movie stories for a second. If you can get past the horrific writing, the crappy direction of 98.9% of games and the the ridiculous acting (in comparrison to films), then I'll just have to move to what I personally reccomend for movies.

This year has had many films worth checking out. And by the way, you said "movies" not "hollywood movies", so movies in general include things like HERO.

My personal picks:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (my pick for film of the year)
Motorcycle Diaries
Finding Neverland
Hotel Rwanda
Spider-Man 2
Maria Full of Grace
Kinsey
Closer
Hellboy
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
House of Flying Daggers
HERO
Garden State
Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself
Collateral
Ray (for the great performance of Jamie Foxx only, though)
The Chorus (Les Choristes)
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
The Story of the Weeping Camel
The Sea Inside
Sideways
Before Sunset
The Incredibles

And that's just some I have personally found to be great. This doesn't even take in upcoming films like The Aviator, or films I haven't seen like Million Dollar Baby, Vera Drake, Paper Clips, Since Otar Left, Stage Beauty, Undertow, The Woodsman...

Films own videogames in terms of storytelling, direction and art.

Lakitu

st5fu
Amir0x said:
Ok, I will put aside how hilariously wrong you are about videogame stories in comparrison to movie stories for a second. If you can get past the horrific writing, the crappy direction of 98.9% of games and the the ridiculous acting (in comparrison to films), then I'll just have to move to what I personally reccomend for movies.

This year has had many films worth checking out. And by the way, you said "movies" not "hollywood movies", so movies in general include things like HERO.

My personal picks:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (my pick for film of the year)
Motorcycle Diaries
Finding Neverland
Hotel Rwanda
Spider-Man 2
Maria Full of Grace
Kinsey
Closer
Hellboy
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
House of Flying Daggers
HERO
Garden State
Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself
Collateral
Ray (for the great performance of Jamie Foxx only, though)
The Chorus (Les Choristes)
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
The Story of the Weeping Camel
The Sea Inside
Sideways
Before Sunset
The Incredibles

And that's just some I have personally found to be great. This doesn't even take in upcoming films like The Aviator, or films I haven't seen like Million Dollar Baby, Vera Drake, Paper Clips, Since Otar Left, Stage Beauty, Undertow, The Woodsman...

Films own videogames in terms of storytelling, direction and art.

Thanks for those recommendations even though I've seen some of them, but one film that's a must watch for me is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I guess I went over the top with that comment, I guess to me, I enjoy games as an entertainment form much more than movies, and that game storylines are fine the way they are, they don't need a proffesional writer like she implies.

Is it too late for me to take that comment back?

Amir0x

Banned
Lakitu said:
Thanks for those recommendations even though I've seen some of them, but one film that's a must watch for me is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I guess I went over the top with that comment, I guess to me, I enjoy games as an entertainment form much more than movies, and that game storylines are fine the way they are, they don't need a proffesional writer like she implies.

Is it too late for me to take that comment back?

Haha, I'm always a little abrasive. Don't worry about it.

M3wThr33

Banned
bitwise said:
age? just wondering.
21. My room has GTA3 posters next to Pokemon, Doom 3 and Tony Hawk. I never understand people who limit themselves to either HARDC0RE or BIRGHT COLORZ games.

Tellaerin

Amir0x said:

Or perhaps he just values certain attributes inherent to games, like immersiveness and player participation, more highly than you do. Games are not movies, and the need to structure game narratives to accomodate gameplay provides the would-be storyteller with both unique opportunities and constraints. (Just as an off-the-cuff example, tragic endings generally don't work well in games, since they tend to conflict with the goal-oriented reward structures that typify the medium. Most people don't want to spend hours using an on-screen surrogate to overcome an escalating series of challenges, only to be 'rewarded' by seeing that character die. This sort of thing tends to work far better in film, a passive medium where the viewer's emotional investment in the hero's journey doesn't need to be matched by an equal investment of time and effort in order for the character to proceed.) IMO, games with strong narrative elements are participatory wish-fulfillment fantasies--interactive daydreams, if you will. They're an artform unto themselves, and comparing them unfavorably to films because they don't do the same things as well is missing the entire point.

Triumph

Banned
Jesus the Horde is strong in this thread.

If I called Reggie a cunt for dissing on the PS2 or Xbox, I'd be stoned in the street and then banned.

Oh shit, I just did!

Amir0x

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Or perhaps he just values certain attributes inherent to games, like immersiveness and player participation, more highly than you do. Games are not movies, and the need to structure game narratives to accomodate gameplay provides the would-be storyteller with both unique opportunities and constraints. (Just as an off-the-cuff example, tragic endings generally don't work well in games, since they tend to conflict with the goal-oriented reward structures that typify the medium. Most people don't want to spend hours using an on-screen surrogate to overcome an escalating series of challenges, only to be 'rewarded' by seeing that character die. This sort of thing tends to work far better in film, a passive medium where the viewer's emotional investment in the hero's journey doesn't need to be matched by an equal investment of time and effort in order for the character to proceed.) IMO, games with strong narrative elements are participatory wish-fulfillment fantasies--interactive daydreams, if you will. They're an artform unto themselves, and comparing them unfavorably to films because they don't do the same things as well is missing the entire point.

You see, he did not say "games have more interactivity than movies", he specifically said games have better stories than a movie. This is false. Period.

That's the only thing any one is arguing here.

Tellaerin

Amir0x said:
You see, he did not say "games have more interactivity than movies", he specifically said games have better stories than a movie. This is false. Period.

That's the only thing any one is arguing here.

Actually, as I recall, he said the he found the stories of the games he's played more emotionally involving than any movies he's seen lately. That's something I can relate to. And your answer to this was that he must have been watching garbage, with the implication that a good movie will always be more emotionally engaging than any game. Perhaps that's the case for you, but I'm completely the opposite--a simple story that I am actively involved in advancing will almost always engender a stronger response than a two-hour film where I'm sitting in a chair watching a bunch of characters do things without any sort of input from me whatsoever. I believe many narrative elements in games that detractors label 'cliched' are not just lazy storytelling, but are conscious decisions made by the scenario writers in order to foster a greater emotional resonance in the player.

Trying to assert that 'movie narrative > game narrative' is like saying that 'all books > movies' because books allow the reader to get into characters' heads in a way that no movie can. It's a true statement as far as it goes, but it conveniently ignores the visual storytelling aspect of film, which is the medium's greatest strength. Saying that the stories in games are inherently lacking while dismissing the inherent benefits and constraints imposed on them by interactivity would be like saying that no movie scriptbook can ever be as emotionally engaging as a book, because the story is all that's worth discussing, and the medium used to present it is irrelevant to the nature or quality of that story.

That is false.

Period.

Top Bottom