• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varteras

Gold Member
Different needs for each regulator.

One has the power to simply ban, the other needs to prove that 'imminent harm' will happen.

V. Hard to prove imminent harm on a nascent platform like Cloud.

I get it, but I feel like we've now spent three days on this and the FTC hasn't made much more progress on that argument. I would have shifted to the emerging markets, which both the EC and CMA had great enough concerns to establish remedies. One an outright block after divestment options were refused.

Poltz

I highly doubt that. The only place it was close was the USA and even there it was getting outsold. Especially considering this was the month the PS4 Pro & Slim launched. Pretty sure in the UK it's 2:1, which is still better then EU 5:1.
Can you show your working for those Uk numbers? Never mind found the numbers.

Last edited:

splattered

"Uhmmm i think there's this game called... Tony Hawk?" Ha yeah right, what is your PSN ID Mr Harvard... GAMER. Pshhhh

Don't worry guys, i'm going to enjoy playing uhmm Tony Hawk on my Playstation!

Last edited:

tmlDan

"Uhmmm i think there's this game called... Tony Hawk?" Ha yeah right, what is your PSN ID Mr Harvard... GAMER. Pshhhh

Don't worry guys, i'm going to enjoy playing uhmm Tony Hawk on my Playstation!
He is being a bit contradictory when he said earlier that he cannot say whether it would affect consumers when he was asked about other games from Sony's third party restrictions but now he is saying it does for ABK. But that's not on me to reveal, we'll see if MS lawyers catch it.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I highly doubt that. The only place it was close was the USA and even there it was getting outsold. Especially considering this was the month the PS4 Pro & Slim launched. Pretty sure in the UK it's 2:1, which is still better then EU 5:1.

We can only go by estimates. Entertainment Retailers Associated had 500k Xbox Ones sold vs 700k PS4s sold in 2019.

Xbox has historically been very competitive in the UK, no estimate puts it at 2:1.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean she argued for and got a man executed. What's not to love?
Animated GIF

mrmustard

Banned
Looking at it from Microsoft's viewpoint, PC and Xbox are the same as buying one of their games on Xbox or PC is the same money going into their pocket. From an individual customer's viewpoint, they are of course distinct platforms.
The big money comes from 3rd party cuts and Live Gold for online gaming, both not happening on pc.

Slikk360

The big money comes from 3rd party cuts and Live Gold for online gaming, both not happening on pc.
Not true how many pc are built and sold with software each year that Microsoft owns. All they have to do is include GP or cod free for purchasing something Microsoft / Xbox related. They really don't need steam as a store front or anyone else.

Vognerful

Source?
As far as we know it's up to Square after the timed exclusivity ends.
Original announcement of the game was PC and PS5, mention of other platforms.

also, we got this news from CMA, it was big confirmation

dAUn8Rk.jpg

if you are going to throw the line of "but Microsoft lies!" note that Yoshi-P, Square, Sony, CMA or FTC did not dispute this.

Banjo64

cumsessed

dAUn8Rk.jpg

if you are going to throw the line of "but Microsoft lies!" note that Yoshi-P, Square, Sony, CMA or FTC did not dispute this.
Nintendo's exclusive content includes well-established globally famous and iconic franchises

MS lawyer effusively jizzing over based Ninty.

Fabieter

dAUn8Rk.jpg

They called Bloodborne 3p exclusive nothing to dispute here.

mckmas8808

Banned

dAUn8Rk.jpg

How can you guys NOT understand that timed exclusives is different than buying a whole Publisher and banning all games from your main competitor?

Z O N E

I understand the Judge's questions here, but you can't compare the Switch to Xbox Series S, just because they cost the same price.

I think the judge wants to know why at the same price point, can't they be in the same competition? Because the FTC and Sony have said that Nintendo DOESN'T compete, however, with that same price point (not talking about hardware) they in essence ARE competing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not true how many pc are built and sold with software each year that Microsoft owns. All they have to do is include GP or cod free for purchasing something Microsoft / Xbox related. They really don't need steam as a store front or anyone else.

But then we have use the XboxApp........bet you see a bunch of COD and GP codes on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom