• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

reinking

Gold Member
Why would you want them to buy their way to success instead of using the studios they have to make games? this is just stupid
Money has never been an issue for Microsoft. Studio management has. I expect that trend to continue so MS might end up spending all of this money to remain in third place.

demigod

It’s not anti competitive, it’s by its very nature competitive since they are bidding for third party content. Sony also offers a better rate for COD, guess the real winner this competition? Activision.

Which is more anti competitive? Outta here with that bs, let’s not play dumb.

The way some people have tried to rewrite market dynamics and competition just to comply with MS’s new views of the market is hilarious.
Why bother with another dormant account

Topher

Gold Member
We know it’s discounted but we don’t know what it is exactly.

That's what I was thinking. As far as we know, ABK wanted the same split from both companies. Highlights the power of the franchise why it shouldn't be entirely owned by a platform owner, imo.

Pretty much. The prevailing narrative from the anti-merger crowd here is that the PS3 was also in this situation with the Xbox 360 and Sony came back by releasing good games that they made themselves. No mention of Xbox exclusives being released on Playstation and also the amazing launch of the Xbox One.

I don't know what this "prevailing narrative" you are talking about here at all, but sounds like some massive oversimplification of past events from both sides of the argument.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Given that Sony makes like 15 billion off CoD, I doubt Xbox could buy timed exclusivity for 1.5 billion. I don't think 500M would even cut it for Starfield either.

It really is a losing battle with timed exclusivity for Xbox right now. They hardly gain anything (marketshare, promos) while throwing a big bag a cash down the toilet.
I knew I should have corrected Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 for his summary on that topic.

Sony doesn't make $15B off COD. Sony is just trying to paint a picture of how damaging it could be if COD is not on their platform.

What they actually meant, is that from 2019-2021... the PlayStation gamers that `also` own COD, have brought in $15B in revenue. Attributed to all spending with regard to hardware, games, and services.

And yes, $1.5B would have got them timed exclusivity. Or at the very least drop that to $1B and settle for day 1 on gamepass. Activision would have jumped on that. They need to sell 14M copies of their game across Xbox and PC to get $1B. And you think MS offers that up before the game is even launched and they won't take it? And still, sell whatever they can on PS?

Warablo

I knew I should have corrected Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 for his summary on that topic.

Sony doesn't make $15B off COD. Sony is just trying to paint a picture of how damaging it could be if COD is not on their platform.

What they actually meant, is that from 2019-2021... the PlayStation gamers that `also` own COD, have brought in $15B in revenue. Attributed to all spending with regard to hardware, games, and services.

And yes, $1.5B would have got them timed exclusivity. Or at the very least drop that to $1B and settle for day 1 on gamepass. Activision would have jumped on that. They need to sell 14M copies of their game across Xbox and PC to get $1B. And you think MS offers that up before the game is even launched and they won't take it? And still, sell whatever they can on PS?
I can't remember the game, but it cost something like 200 million just for a mid-low tier game to launch on Game Pass. So I don't see CoD on Game Pass as a option really.

Kilau

Sony does it
It's normal
MS is trying to make money
They're in last place and need to catch up
It's good for all gamers

Will Smith Thats Funny GIF by MOODMAN

Vognerful

Okay, so you trolling. Gotcha.

You can't be serious about the bolded. COD is a tried and true GaaS game at this point. Making one of those every year is basically impossible for anybody else to do. And to the 2nd bolded, I don't think MS will wait 10 years. I think they will make COD exclusive the second that the contract runs out. Which I think is in 2025. And couldn't you also ask MS to make a great shooter so that they didn't have to buy the whole Publisher?

Are yall just not thinking? Or do you just want every game on planet Earth on GamePass?
I will ignore you accusing me of trolling and try to approach this with the best of my efforts.

First, CoD was not always a game that is on the top ; you can go back and remember that it had many bad years after black ops 2 as their title sales was going down year after year. Second thing is that CoD had also problem going into GaaS market. Warzone is relatively new compared to the previous BAttle royal titles such as fortnite PUBG and they had an uphill battle to gain a footing there. So it was not all rosy years.

Second thing, I never said that Sony could, should or would release a yearly Gaas like CoD; my comment was that they are indeed developing a plethora of GaaS games and some of them will for sure trying to compete with CoD fanbase. I know that there are some figures of what 5% buying xbox to play CoD? I would say there is probably way more people who like Sony or playstation more than CoD and would be happy to play the new thing that is developed by Sony.

Mojang ? ... probably would cost the directors/devs regaining control of the IP and independence and a big chunk of money .. but who knows.. is all very speculative

Yes the FTC could could ask but to what point ? They only needed to show one more time the "exclusive" mind set that phil spencer has behind doors , outside of his PR machine. The why is not important really, in this case.

I mean people here state it as a fact but then we end up on "where is the proof?". Also, I know that it sheds some light on Phil character, but I don't think it gave FTC any ammo; if Microsoft are willing to follow with their hypothetical contract with Mojang, then it just gives more credibility to their words and contract.

ZehDon

Couldn't they try to replicate what they did during the x360 era?...
If we're being fair, a good amount of what allowed Microsoft to succeed in the Xbox 360 era simply isn't available to them today. They launched a year ahead of their competitor, they were cheaper, and they had some great titles. But their competitor also dropped the ball - they launched an overpriced and underpowered console and didn't really have great games for the first half of the generation. For as much as Microsoft earned their success in that generation, it wasn't without a massive amount of help from Sony. And Sony haven't dropped the ball in two generations. Even the biggest Xbox fan has to admit that Sony really hasn't made many mistakes. They haven't had a Halo Infinite reveal, a Redfall launch; the closest Sony have come to a ball drop is their recent GaaS push, and even that just looks like it might possibly maybe turn off a small portion of their fans. Sony are the top dogs for a reason: they're really good at this. How do you compete with a competitor who doesn't make mistakes? Microsoft's answer seems to be: "You don't - you build Netflix".

Last edited:
Watched this video today by CNBC, found it somewhat relevant on the topic of this thread. It's called the 'Rise and Fall of Skype' (Microsoft bought them in 2011 for 8.5B). The takeaway is the line at 11:25 "Microsoft is where all consumer brands go to die" even comparing them to AT&T. Basically, "Microsoft is the King of buying companies and not knowing what to do with them" another great zinger from this short doc.

But I'm sure this time will be different guys, with Phil Spencer sailing the ship it will be nothing but blue skies from here on out. /s

KingT731

True, but that would be on a game by game basis. Also, I'm not really referring to day and date gamepass stuff. That doesn't work for many big publishers and devs.

But let's say for Xbox and PC users of Xbox's ecosystem. That number is obviously greater than just their console install base alone. They release everything on PC as well for the most part. However, they still have to compete with the likes of Steam, but from what I understand, Steam doesn't really do exclusive deals and the Xbox Store leaves a lot to be desired in terms of popularity and function.

Nevertheless, it's still a boon to the perceived benefits.
Of course it's bigger but the Pub/Dev have to seen some financial model to make it make sense and if the game was releasing in PC day 1(obviously on Steam) that tips things out of their favor anyway so it's not really a win either way...unless it was on the service but then we're back at step 1.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Watched this video today by CNBC, found it somewhat relevant on the topic of this thread. It's called the 'Rise and Fall of Skype' (Microsoft bought them in 2011 for 8.5B). The takeaway is the line at 11:25 "Microsoft is where all consumer brands go to die" even comparing them to AT&T. Basically, "Microsoft is the King of buying companies and not knowing what to do with them" another great zinger from this short doc.

But I'm sure this time will be different guys, with Phil Spencer sailing the ship it will be nothing but blue skies from here on out. /s

Might as well add Nokia to the video. They acquired them around the same time they bought Skype.

Stooky

To this point I really wish people would look at the history of Microsoft acquiring companies, and when it doesn't work out as planned, pay attention to the aftermath. MS has a billion dollar graveyard. I don't want this happen these Devs and IPs. Seeing some of these MS emails is killing my confidence of GP as being viable

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
If we're being fair, a good amount of what allowed Microsoft to succeed in the Xbox 360 era simply isn't available to them today. They launched a year ahead of their competitor, they were cheaper, and they had some great titles. But their competitor also dropped the ball - they launched an overpriced and underpowered console and didn't really have great games for the first half of the generation. For as much as Microsoft earned their success in that generation, it wasn't without a massive amount of help from Sony. And Sony haven't dropped the ball in two generations. Even the biggest Xbox fan has to admit that Sony really hasn't made many mistakes. They haven't had a Halo Infinite reveal, a Redfall launch; the closest Sony have come to a ball drop is their recent GaaS push, and even that just looks like it might possibly maybe turn off a small portion of their fans. Sony are the top dogs for a reason: they're really good at this. How do you compete with a competitor who doesn't make mistakes? Microsoft's answer seems to be: "You don't - you build Netflix".

All points noted. Perfect response!

Skype was the first video/chat app my family used. And then somehow it dies off. Now a Chinese substitute took over and is what is now used by many buisnesses. I would prefer not to use a Chinese app if i could help it, but it is a work requirement for me. If only MS didn't kill the thing.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I will ignore you accusing me of trolling and try to approach this with the best of my efforts.

First, CoD was not always a game that is on the top ; you can go back and remember that it had many bad years after black ops 2 as their title sales was going down year after year. Second thing is that CoD had also problem going into GaaS market. Warzone is relatively new compared to the previous BAttle royal titles such as fortnite PUBG and they had an uphill battle to gain a footing there. So it was not all rosy years.

Second thing, I never said that Sony could, should or would release a yearly Gaas like CoD; my comment was that they are indeed developing a plethora of GaaS games and some of them will for sure trying to compete with CoD fanbase. I know that there are some figures of what 5% buying xbox to play CoD? I would say there is probably way more people who like Sony or playstation more than CoD and would be happy to play the new thing that is developed by Sony.

I mean people here state it as a fact but then we end up on "where is the proof?". Also, I know that it sheds some light on Phil character, but I don't think it gave FTC any ammo; if Microsoft are willing to follow with their hypothetical contract with Mojang, then it just gives more credibility to their words and contract.
Well anyone can believe what they want until they see the actual contract with mojang.. but it is what it is.. phil wants to make new minecraft content exclusive and cant

Yes.. they could set up a contract they would be obligated to follow.... but im not sure a contract that gives them 100% of in game sales revenue or makes COD avaible for 05 years on ps5 something to brag about

FlyyGOD

Why would you want them to buy their way to success instead of using the studios they have to make games? this is just stupid
Why would it matter? When Volkswagen bought Porsche you think anyone cared that Volkswagen didn't make thier own Porsche? Nobody batted an eye. Organic growth is a total fanboy argument. Activision was for sale. Would you rather Amazon or Google buy them?

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Sony accepting paying for timed exclusive deals wasn't the cause of the acquisition, that's just an excuse.

FTFY. It's very likely that Sony's exclusivity dealings spurred Microsoft into some kind of action to stop the bleeding. When it came to full and timed exclusivity deals in the Xbox One and PS4 era, the split was Xbox had about 170 and the PS4 had about 580. Pretty devastating to the Xbox brand and that's not lost on Sony. It's much cheaper for the market leader to secure timed exclusive deals. Bigger base and less risk. How do you counter that as a company the size of Microsoft who doesn't want to keel over like Sega did in the 90's? You take the big games out of Sony's reach by acquiring them.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Activision was for sale.

Stop spreading the lie that Activision was looking to be purchased. Activision didn't approach Microsoft. Activision didn't make an announcement (public or otherwise) that they were looking to be purchased. Microsoft approached Activision. Why do people consistently feel the need to spread misinformation that has been repeatedly been debunked? We get it: Microsoft gets your pee-pee hard.

Iced Arcade

Why would it matter? When Volkswagen bought Porsche you think anyone cared that Volkswagen didn't make thier own Porsche? Nobody batted an eye. Organic growth is a total fanboy argument. Activision was for sale. Would you rather Amazon or Google buy them?
While you might be right, Activision will most likely be bought by one of those companies if this deal fails... It was Spencer who approached kotick and kotick said "come back with a better offer"

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Stop spreading the lie that Activision was looking to be purchased. Activision didn't approach Microsoft. Activision didn't make an announcement (public or otherwise) that they were looking to be purchased. Microsoft approached Activision. Why do people consistently feel the need to spread misinformation that has been repeatedly been debunked? We get it: Microsoft gets your pee-pee hard.
So let me understand your logic. Activision wasn't for sale yet they sold them anyways? Does it matter who approached who 1st?

supernova8

Banned
To this point I really wish people would look at the history of Microsoft acquiring companies, and when it doesn't work out as planned, pay attention to the aftermath. MS has a billion dollar graveyard. I don't want this happen these Devs and IPs. Seeing some of these MS emails is killing my confidence of GP as being viable
To play devil's advocate, Sony/SIE has shuttered plenty of studios over the years.

I personally still haven't forgiven them for shuttering Evolution Studios after Driveclub. I personally really enjoyed the game (or rather the feel of the driving) waaaay more than Gran Turismo (which is still janky AF IMO). It's impressive what they managed to achieve with a team of about 60 versus Polyphony's team of about 300 (going off wikipedia).

Then we get to the visuals. I can understand the meme of "oh yeah it only looks good when it's raining" but seriously Driveclub came out not longer after the PS4 launch itself.

Even without rain, I would say Driveclub is undeniably more visually pleasing than Gran Turismo Sport. Plus it came out THREE YEARS earlier than GT Sport!

Plus look at that.... proper 3d trees and nice looking environments.... waaaaay before GT Sport, which itself still used a lot of cardboard cut out bollocks.

Fucking hell Sony, you cunts.

Would've been amazing if we had a racing game with the depth of Gran Turismo (ie career mode) with the visuals, aesthetic, and handling (maybe a bit reined in since it's a bit arcadey) of Driveclub. We'll never get that now and apparently a lot of the Evolution people ended up going to Codemasters/EA to make........... oh yeah another boring Dirt game. Great!

I'm not in favor of Microsoft acquiring Activision but just saying.... Sony can be (and have been) shitheads too.

Last edited:
To play devil's advocate, Sony/SIE has shuttered plenty of studios over the years.

I personally still haven't forgiven them for shuttering Evolution Studios after Driveclub. I personally really enjoyed the game (or rather the feel of the driving) waaaay more than Gran Turismo (which is still janky AF IMO). It's impressive what they managed to achieve with a team of about 60 versus Polyphony's team of about 300 (going off wikipedia).

Then we get to the visuals. I can understand the meme of "oh yeah it only looks good when it's raining" but seriously Driveclub came out not longer after the PS4 launch itself.

Even without rain, I would say Driveclub is undeniably more visually pleasing than Gran Turismo Sport. Plus it came out THREE YEARS earlier than GT Sport!

Plus look at that.... proper 3d trees and nice looking environments.... waaaaay before GT Sport, which itself still used a lot of cardboard cut out bollocks.

Would've been amazing if we had a racing game with the depth of Gran Turismo (ie career mode) with the visuals, aesthetic, and handling (maybe a bit reined in since it's a bit arcadey) of Driveclub. We'll never get that now and apparently a lot of the Evolution people ended up going to Codemasters/EA to make........... oh yeah another boring Dirt game. Great!

I'm not in favor of Microsoft acquiring Activision but just saying.... Sony can be (and have been) shitheads too.

Are you pretending Driveclub isn't a 30 fps game compared to Gran Turismo which has always been 60 fps? LMAO

Evolution Studios got canned because they could not produce a single consistently decent selling racing game, but instead of trying to improve their framerates which were always fucking abysmal, remember Motorstorm running at 15-20 fps? What kind of fucking racing game runs at 15-20 fps?

The reality is that Evolution died because they decided graphics were more important than framerate in fucking racing games, nobody else gave a shit, their games sold like shit, and they were shut down because they couldn't make anything that anyone wanted to buy.

Sony was actually very generous to Evolution, they let Evolution make games no one wanted for over a decade before shutting them down.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

One thing is for sure... This whole merger shit took all the light away from the abuse drama at Activision.

Gets denied, they can probably continue on like nothing happened.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
FTFY. It's very likely that Sony's exclusivity dealings spurred Microsoft into some kind of action to stop the bleeding. When it came to full and timed exclusivity deals in the Xbox One and PS4 era, the split was Xbox had about 170 and the PS4 had about 580. Pretty devastating to the Xbox brand and that's not lost on Sony. It's much cheaper for the market leader to secure timed exclusive deals. Bigger base and less risk. How do you counter that as a company the size of Microsoft who doesn't want to keel over like Sega did in the 90's? You take the big games out of Sony's reach by acquiring them.
Amazing that you quote me and just skip over the part where its was revealed that Zenimax was actually shopping around for exclusive deals.

There was nothing to fix, maybe read that post again?

Or do you think Sony should turn down deals presented to them because MS is struggling selling consoles....

Thinking MS would keel over like Sega is wild. You do realize MS is in a much better position to go 3rd party than Sega was, right?

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So let me understand your logic. Activision wasn't for sale yet they sold them anyways? Does it matter who approached who 1st?

My logic makes sense. Your logic is either non-existent or retarded. Using your logic every single business is always for sale. Microsoft is currently for sale. Same with Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, et cetera. That's the logic you're employing when you claim that Activision was for sale.

Activision was not actively looking to be acquired. Microsoft approached them with an offer. Activision was legally required to present that offer to their shareholders. The shareholders decided to accept the offer. Activision was only for sale in the same way that every business is for sale.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My logic makes sense. Your logic is either non-existent or retarded. Using your logic every single business is always for sale. Microsoft is currently for sale. Same with Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, et cetera. That's the logic you're employing when you claim that Activision was for sale.

Activision was not actively looking to be acquired. Microsoft approached them with an offer. Activision was legally required to present that offer to their shareholders. The shareholders decided to accept the offer. Activision was only for sale in the same way that every business is for sale.

Every business is for sale as long as the right offer is given. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, it's not a hostile takeover, MS and Activision mutually agreed on the acquisition/merger.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I actually posted the 2 figures separately to avoid any confusion. The original redacted document is also in the post that provides full context.

zCTBSdM.jpg

TBiddy

It's really funny that I'm being attacked from all sides now 😄🤣 I really had no idea that I'd trigger so many by creating a genuinely helpful thread. I'm enjoying it, though, and happy that you guys have my back! :messenger_beermugs:

Here are some posts to enjoy 😄

I'm glad you're enjoying the persecution complex. Did you ever consider, that you just got owned in that post?

This one, I mean.

Fucking hilarious.

Also, I have no idea which thread you're referring to.

Last edited:

Calverz

"Well known" to the xbox cult circles. Oh no! The horror!
A Double Life GIF by Turner Classic Movies
Uh huh.
This is the videogame equivalant of how people argue politics. "That person has a different opinion from mine, they must be Hitler!".

Basically if you argue like this nobody should even entertain the idea of having a civil conversation with you. You're simply a fanboy willing to look over absolutely every evident truth so you don't have to feel insecure about your favorite plastic toy.
Far from a fanboy. I enjoy all consoles. Why bring hitler into this? Weird.
I think you should identify the FUD, misinformation, and conspiracy theories that people have been spreading.

Only saying it, without any receipts, does not add credibility to your claim at all.
I don’t need to. The amount of shit posting yourself and others do, I’d take hours having to seperate and quote it. I have better things to do.
If you think that is indeed the case then it should be pretty trivial to tear apart without needing to resort to personal attacks, stalking people around the forum and character assassination attempts.

But alas, this is the behaviour you've now been reduced to due to all the facts being summarised and laid bare for all to see. It's a shame.

Unless someone is directly associated with Microsoft there's really no need to be insecure and defensive about what's been revealed over the last few weeks. Some of the behaviour in that thread and elsewhere towards Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 and the associated information is highly questionable.
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Stooky

I agree with you but at least we got good games from theses studios. MS acquires studios that were productive then for some reason under their management their output goes to a trickle or nothing.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm glad you're enjoying the persecution complex. Did you ever consider, that you just got owned in that post?

This one, I mean.

Fucking hilarious.

I know reading can be hard for some, so I'll excuse that. Anyway ...

I started by saying it's not the same thing.
He said "well, I imagine you'll reply saying it's not the same thing."
I said, "yeah, again, it's not the same thing."

And he goes like "aha! I knew you'd say that! gotcha"

And you start clapping in the background thinking it's a gotcha, when it's really not when I had already said it's not the same thing before the conversation even began.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

This one, I mean.

Fucking hilarious.

Deep.. there are levels to this shit.

You come into thread A, to take a dig on a poster, with regard to something that happened in thread B, while talking about a thread C that is completely different from threads A and B All the while, not even making a meaningful contribution to thread A that you are posing in. While trying to act cool when doing all that.

Yup... deep.

Even if Teams wasn’t part of Office people would still use it over Slack because it’s cheaper than what Salesforce did when they bought Slack.
Teams is free and forcefully bundled with everything, including Windows and Office. This is exactly what MS did to kill Netscape Navigator with Internet Explorer. That resulted in the infamous antitrust trial in the 1990's. MS never learns though, hopefully the EU will fine them a lot of money and force them to stop bundling Teams with everything.

If the play is to grow gamepass, and if the necessity is to fill it with content, and if publishers aren’t keen on day 1 GP releases… then the idea that MS is buying big ass publishers because Sony was signing third party exclusives just doesn’t make much sense does it?

A whole lot of lying.

I believe Kottick says it best. If it wasn't for Microsoft buying them they wouldn't go with a day one ganepass release for most of their games. I'm sure many other 3rd parties believe the same.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe Kottick says it best. If it wasn't for Microsoft buying them they wouldn't go with a day one ganepass release for most of their games. I'm sure many other 3rd parties believe the same.
I've noticed that indie publishers are more open to the idea of day-one GP releases. But, yeah, I don't think there is ANY big AAA publisher that has been on board with the day-one GP strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom