• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warablo

Some do, some don't. I see some Xbox fans who are as you describe, but I see a lot of Xbox fans that bend over backwards defending even the most absurd shit. Same as any other fanbase. What I don't get is when fans act like their favorite corporation is getting picked on like they are direct relatives or some bullshit. That's some cringey shit.
Easy, just log on Neogaf and enter this thread.

Can we change it to the disapproval thread yet?

Last edited:

HoofHearted

It's true. I fall somewhere between Ivory and Cream this time of year.

5edbf71e2f7ba2e60ad234eb_5ed3a2c9a90a9c6ec71e5162_Colour-Palette-Neutral-Colours.jpeg

Varteras

Gold Member
I love how everyone ITT just acts like a huge cunt whenever someone with a differing opinion comes along. Also if you call out this cunty behavior you have a persecution complex and youre a paid shill. Meanwhile the same 10 posters or so account for 95% of the posts in this thread and have spent an absurd amount of time discussing this topic, presumably for free.
shut-up-silence.gif

How is it going? Any prediction for the judge decision?
Speaking of.

Let's walk through it:

You said; No one is saying, "Phil admits he's paying for Xbox fans." Stop making stories in your head.
You previously said; We have evidence that Microsoft hires people for their "evangelizing teams." And Phil Spencer also wanted to use "evangelizers" to promote xCloud...

He said; I imagine you'll reply with a version of "I never said the exact words: 'Phil admits he's paying for Xbox fans.'".

You then replied; "Phil wanted to use evangelizes to promote xCloud" =/= "Phil admits he is paying for Xbox fans"

Thereby confirming his prediction.

You owned yourself. Hurts, doesn't it?

Okay. Good for you, I suppose?
I mean, they are both facts
MS had a team dedicated to evangelize their fans, they even had a guide to do that
Phil said he wanted the evangelizers to promote xcloud

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sure thing. Neutral people. There's no such thing, and you know that.

Besides, I couldn't care less if a few anonymous profiles back you up with gifs.
I strive to be as neutral as possible. There's things I like and dislike about Sony and Microsoft. I try to comment with the truth as best as I can see it. I try to be open to corrections as long as there's significant evidence.

I will say I don't want this deal to go through. I have reason that differ from most fanboy narratives I'm seeing. I'm viewing it as a customer. I don't really care if Microsoft is a huge corporation.

As a customer I don't really care about COD, I barely play it. It's really that I have lost faith in Xbox management. Had they done really well this generation and last I might feel differently now, but imagine all the best studios now under Microsoft's control. They may be "hands-off" but what if they decide to be hands on?

What if they taint their studios much like Activision tainted Destiny (though to be fair, Bungie got even worse after buying their freedom). They already got MTX in fuckin Halo. They tried in Forza and got reamed for it.

Even more than this though, they are not outputting games at the rate they promised 5 years ago. Yet they keep doubling down on the acquisitions instead of fixing what's wrong with them internally. Are we just going to ignore what happened with the initiative? What happened with 343? It's absolutely maddening because I want xbox to do well if for no other reason than to keep Sony in check. Sony is aggressive and greedy as fuck, granted. Jim Ryan lies through his teeth and is disingenuous in his dealings with the FTC and CMA, as has been clearly pointed out in this hearing. That being said, what Microsoft's doing isn't the way to remedy the situation. What's done is done at this point. They have more than enough studios and really need to cultivate them. They are trying to be the next Embracer group and I don't like it.

Does this make me biased? I don't think so. I think if you just go with what the truth is, stop trying to spin everything then you can start to look at things objectively and with a wider perspective.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished Ragnarok, name something to play next.

Acquisition Simulator 2023

You just had a post deleted where you said you were on the acquisition side because you don't want to buy CoD every year.
Did I read that right?
How is that any better?

Wait, that seems like such a nothing-burger to have a post deleted over, lol. I'd also be stoked at having CoD games release on game pass and not have to think about buying them.

I don't think saying that is controversial in any way.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Wait, that seems like such a nothing-burger to have a post deleted over, lol. I'd also be stoked at having CoD games release on game pass and not have to think about buying them.

I don't think saying that is controversial in any way.
I don't really remember exactly what was said but I mentioned the part on topic. There was more to it and probably why it was deleted.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
More positive than negatives for Microsoft acquisition of Activision. Gamepass support and cloud support are total positives for the acquisition going through.

You see it as positive because it only benefits Xbox and your preferred ecosystem.

- Sony users will miss out on all if not most future ABK games.
- This will likely have a domino effect on mass consolidation

FlyyGOD

You see it as positive because it only benefits Xbox and your preferred ecosystem.

- Sony users will miss out on all if not most future ABK games.
- This will likely have a domino effect on mass consolidation
There are pc options and cloud. If Sony acquired a company it's ps5 only. If Activision were to operate as is it would be ps5. Xbox and pc only.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Where have you seen that? Even in your sentence you end it with a disclaimer. That was my point. Things that are said and have to be qualified with a disclaimer are not trustworthy.
What disclaimer? It’s been said multiple times that they’d ship COD on PS as long as it was around, I think Phil even said it under oath. Companies just don’t go around signing for ever and ever contracts… nothing controversial there

reinking

Gold Member
What disclaimer? It’s been said multiple times that they’d ship COD on PS as long as it was around, I think Phil even said it under oath. Companies just don’t go around signing for ever and ever contracts… nothing controversial there
Maybe I missed this commitment Phil (who would totally never mislead anyone) made to keep CoD on PlayStation as long as PlayStation is still around. I do recall PlayStation 5 and 10-years being mentioned but nothing past that. I will admit that I got busy with work/real life and I kind of skimmed through this thread the last few weeks so I could have missed it.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
I got busy with work/life for a few weeks so maybe I missed this commitment Phil (who would totally never mislead anyone) made to keep CoD on PlayStation as long as PlayStation is still around. I do recall PlayStation 5 and 10 yeras being mentioned but nothing past that.

Think it was in the FTC trial he was asked about it … can’t remember the exact quote. But the 10 year deal has been on the table for a while.

MS might decide to try and fuck them over after 10 years, but I believe Sony are good enough at what they do to have a solid contingency in place for that after 10 years of prep

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There are pc options and cloud. If Sony acquired a company it's ps5 only. If Activision were to operate as is it would be ps5. Xbox and pc only.
It's already on PC and they don't need Microsoft to put the game on Cloud.

Removing games off platforms doesn't benefit gamers and you're using the "if Sony card" when I'm saying it's better off staying multi-plat.

reinking

Gold Member
Think it was in the FTC trial he was asked about it … can’t remember the exact quote. But the 10 year deal has been on the table for a while.

MS might decide to try and fuck them over after 10 years, but I believe Sony are good enough at what they do to have a solid contingency in place for that after 10 years of prep
That is kind of a walk back on your part. You started out that MS is committed to having COD on PS as long as PS is still around and now you are admitting that that commitment might not hold up. I'm not arguing or trying to call you out (honestly), we are on the same page in that regard. What MS says right now is no real indication of their true intentions or what the future holds after this acquisition.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
That is kind of a walk back on your part. You started out that MS is committed to having COD on PS as long as PS is still around and now you are admitting that that commitment might not hold up. I'm not arguing or trying to call you out (honestly), we are on the same page in that regard. What MS says right now is no real indication of their true intentions or what the future holds after this acquisition.

It’s not a walk back, it’s just being realistic about things from a business pov. Short of signing a never ending agreement, MS have made a commitment to keep COD on PS indefinitely… and so from a Sony POV that plus the 10 year offer, it’s pretty much as solid a deal / commitment as you’d get from a publisher.

And as for it being no indication of what they’ll do, they’re still going through legal avenues to close the deal. If they have such a disregard for law and contracts, why would they even bother with all the legal wrangling in the first place?

reinking

Gold Member
image.png

Phill agreed to all Sony proposals except last 2 which were unacceptable to Phill which led to Sony not signing 10 years CoD deal.
MS offered CoD on subscription PS service and also parity was promised. But Jimbo went too far.
Thanks for posting but where did it come from?

TBiddy

I strive to be as neutral as possible. There's things I like and dislike about Sony and Microsoft. I try to comment with the truth as best as I can see it. I try to be open to corrections as long as there's significant evidence.

I will say I don't want this deal to go through. I have reason that differ from most fanboy narratives I'm seeing. I'm viewing it as a customer. I don't really care if Microsoft is a huge corporation.

As a customer I don't really care about COD, I barely play it. It's really that I have lost faith in Xbox management. Had they done really well this generation and last I might feel differently now, but imagine all the best studios now under Microsoft's control. They may be "hands-off" but what if they decide to be hands on?

What if they taint their studios much like Activision tainted Destiny (though to be fair, Bungie got even worse after buying their freedom). They already got MTX in fuckin Halo. They tried in Forza and got reamed for it.

Even more than this though, they are not outputting games at the rate they promised 5 years ago. Yet they keep doubling down on the acquisitions instead of fixing what's wrong with them internally. Are we just going to ignore what happened with the initiative? What happened with 343? It's absolutely maddening because I want xbox to do well if for no other reason than to keep Sony in check. Sony is aggressive and greedy as fuck, granted. Jim Ryan lies through his teeth and is disingenuous in his dealings with the FTC and CMA, as has been clearly pointed out in this hearing. That being said, what Microsoft's doing isn't the way to remedy the situation. What's done is done at this point. They have more than enough studios and really need to cultivate them. They are trying to be the next Embracer group and I don't like it.

Does this make me biased? I don't think so. I think if you just go with what the truth is, stop trying to spin everything then you can start to look at things objectively and with a wider perspective.

I agree with almost everything you write here. I think it's hard to argue that Microsoft (or Xbox, rather) is a well-driven machine at this point. Imagine how bleak it would've looked without the Bethesda acquisition. It's gotten to a point, where I'm still holding off on buying an XSX, because there's no system seller. There's literally not a single title that screams "get the fucking XSX to play this incredible game". Looking at the competitor, I suppose I could find a game or two.. or maybe three that really sells the PS5.

Could this change in the future? Sure. But I think even the most passionate Xbox-fans are getting tired of the evergreen that is "Just wait! Next year will be BONKERS!". Microsoft needs to deliver and they better start doing it with Starfield and Forza this year.

image.png

Phill agreed to all Sony proposals except last 2 which were unacceptable to Phill which led to Sony not signing 10 years CoD deal.
MS offered CoD on subscription PS service and also parity was promised. But Jimbo went too far.
The clowns at it a again.
Phil offering a ten year deal for cod is not the same as agreeing to all Jim's requests.
Nowhere has Phil agrees to give Sony all existing and future Activision blizzard games forever.
Especially when we have multiple emails of Xbox staff talking about making everything exclusives.

This is the level of the shills on this forum. They'll take something and try to spin it with Sony being the unreasonable ones.

Most games are not.

It doesn't benefit gamers if all but 1 are removed.

Stop trying to spin this to make it appear good for all gamers. It's just stupid.
People like who are fighting for gamers like FTC stilll havnt made a single good argument with substantial evidence how this particular deal will harm gamers on all multiplatform platforms. All i heard, "what ifs" or "maybe", or look at Bethesda acquisition, ignoring the fact, MS offered a 10 year deal, they said under oath infront judge to bring CoD to PS. Truth is you actually dont give a shit about any gamers, all you want PS to have dominance position and everything else remain behind. You using this anti gamer narrative to support PS nothing else like FTC.

What does Actvision make apart from CoD? Nothing.

Blizzard games like WoW are forever PC games.King makes only Mobile games.
Now i know you will bring Diablo games, Diablo release games every 6 to 8 years or more. That's why Sony not even concerned about anything else apart from CoD.

Deal is good for gamers as you have option to get PC games on Steam not just battle.net, gamers will get option to pplay on Geforce nd other cloud services along with gamepass, and last but not the least Nintendo gamers will try CoD as well.

ABK as independent company will remain CoD factory focusing on Xbox, PC (Battle.net) and PS5 with unfair advantages to PS5 thanks to deals that favour PS.

Vs

ABK under MS will result in game coming to Steam, PC and Xbox Game, Nintendo consoles, Geforce Now and Xcloud services.

So more gamers play CoD under Phill Spencer’s Activision or under Booby Kotick's Activision? :)

The clowns at it a again.
Phil offering a ten year deal for cod is not the same as agreeing to all Jim's requests.
Nowhere has Phil agrees to give Sony all existing and future Activision blizzard games forever.
Especially when we have multiple emails of Xbox staff talking about making everything exclusives.

This is the level of the shills on this forum. They'll take something and try to spin it with Sony being the unreasonable ones.
Making everything exclusive is for Bethesda not Activision.

Ofcourse Phill will reject stupid demands of Bethesda games and cancel all unpaid dues. Bethesda games different and exclusivity of those games,hardly affects Sony's bottomline.
Jim said in court, they dont see Starfield and ES6 exclusivity as anti competitive. So why u crying?

Funny you call other people shill, lmao. Go look mirror and slap your self few times.

Last edited:
Making everything exclusive is for Bethesda not Activision.

Ofcourse Phill will reject stupid demands of Bethesda games and cancel all unpaid dues. Bethesda games different and exclusivity of those games,hardly affects Sony's bottomline.
Jim said in court, they dont see Starfield and ES6 exclusivity as anti competitive. So why u crying?

Funny you call other people shill, lmao. Go look mirror and slap your self few times.
You said Phil agrees to all of those requests except the last two .

I'm saying in what world did Phil agree to put all and future Activision games on PS forever? Where is this proof? Given Phil's track record of double speak , lies and emails it's quite clear they wouldn't do this. I

And yeah I'll rightly call you a shill because you do nonstop. I'll repeat my question from the other thread that you conveniently ignored and scurried away like all you shills do. Who am I shilling for? Sony? I game 95% on pc. Sony aren't currently trying to buy up the entire industry. If they did I'd be saying the same about them. MS have been lying for years, so it's fair if they get called out .

ITs obvious what Xbox long term plan is for gamepass. Eventually all these games just won't be exclusive to Xbox. But specially gamepass. I for one do not want to be playing diablo 5, the next warcraft or StarCraft by subbing to that shitty service. Not to mention the ever increasing price hikes.

it will be 20$ a month next year.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People like who are fighting for gamers like FTC stilll havnt made a single good argument with substantial evidence how this particular deal will harm gamers on all multiplatform platforms. All i heard, "what ifs" or "maybe", or look at Bethesda acquisition, ignoring the fact, MS offered a 10 year deal, they said under oath infront judge to bring CoD to PS. Truth is you actually dont give a shit about any gamers, all you want PS to have dominance position and everything else remain behind. You using this anti gamer narrative to support PS nothing else like FTC.

Even if Call of Duty remains on the platform, you're going to have all other ABK being removed from PS platforms.

Common sense is enough evidence here.
What does Actvision make apart from CoD? Nothing.

Blizzard games like WoW are forever PC games.King makes only Mobile games.
Now i know you will bring Diablo games, Diablo release games every 6 to 8 years or more. That's why Sony not even concerned about anything else apart from CoD.
This is all of ABK. Who owns Overwatch? Who owns Diablo? Who made Tony Hawk, Who made the new Crash games? Who made

Deal is good for gamers as you have option to get PC games on Steam not just battle.net, gamers will get option to pplay on Geforce nd other cloud services along with gamepass, and last but not the least Nintendo gamers will try CoD as well.

ABK as independent company will remain CoD factory focusing on Xbox, PC (Battle.net) and PS5 with unfair advantages to PS5 thanks to deals that favour PS.

Vs

ABK under MS will result in game coming to Steam, PC and Xbox Game, Nintendo consoles, Geforce Now and Xcloud services.

So more gamers play CoD under Phill Spencer’s Activision or under Booby Kotick's Activision? :)
ABK doesn't need MS to put the game on Switch. It was stated in court that they misread the Switch Market.

Call of Duty games are already on Steam.

So now your entire argument is just centered around cloud gaming and that's it. There's no deal beyond the 10 years.

Your argument was weak. You don't even know what games

You don't tell people you haven't heard a good argument while making a terrible one yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom