• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
turEeeR.jpg

I didn't knew that jezz was working for kotaku.
Wow.

"I'm gonna be mad at these billion $ corporations for not letting my favorite trillion $ corporation buy another billion $ corporation. Whaaannn!!

Also, I'm an independent journalist. Respect me!"

gothmog

Gold Member
You don't think Microsoft would be pissed at Sony over this? If this doesn't go through it will cost MS 2-3 billion plus costs.
That's not going to be forgiven.
And Sony said all they needed to do months ago.
If Sony hadn't of gone against the acquisition like they did, it would have already passed.
A corporation does not get pissed. It's a collection of people. If some people want to get pissed and spend their time being angry at another company's CEO that's on them. If Sony leadership did not try and defend their revenue sources they would be fired.

So weird to get this emotional about business.

reksveks

Looking into company's EULA, found some interesting stuff re: Sony and SE but both aren't really related to PC, the following is from Blizzard.
  1. Cloud Computing: Use the Platform, including a Game, in connection with any unauthorized third-party “cloud computing” services, “cloud gaming” services, or any software or service designed to enable the unauthorized streaming or transmission of Game content from a third-party server to any device.
There is the interesting thing that some lawyers/countries don't actually think EULA are legal anyways

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Why do people keep saying MS has honored every contract they have made in gaming? They have distorted and twisted their actions fo not exactly match up with what they said so they technically didn’t lie because they added a disclaimer ? Disingenuous much?

We won’t really have a reason to keep games off of other consoles just let us buy this publisher. EU believes them, they found a reason before the ink dried. Whole lotta trust to be found there.

Why do people keep saying MS has honored every contract they have made in gaming? They have distorted and twisted their actions fo not exactly match up with what they said so they technically didn’t lie because they added a disclaimer ? Disingenuous much?

We won’t really have a reason to keep games off of other consoles just let us buy this publisher. EU believes them, they found a reason before the ink dried. Whole lotta trust to be found there.
What are you talking about? MS said they'd honor the exclusive games like Ghostwire Toyko and Deathloop. Did they not? How was that twisting anything? Other companies have removed games from Xbox that is not a unique MS thing. Sometimes a game won't hit every platform.

Topher

Gold Member
You don't think Microsoft would be pissed at Sony over this? If this doesn't go through it will cost MS 2-3 billion plus costs.
That's not going to be forgiven.
And Sony said all they needed to do months ago.
If Sony hadn't of gone against the acquisition like they did, it would have already passed.

Doesn't matter. The two are competitors. Microsoft would have done the same thing in Sony's position. Just as the two have engaged in the same competitive tactics for years. This is business as usual.

pasterpl

Nvidia is the more interesting factor in this whole deal.

Post in thread 'Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT|' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-activision-deal-approval-watch-ot.1641775/post-266717285
Google being Google, one of the most hated tech companies, being against this deal might actually help MS. If people have not noticed, since new leadership was installed at MS, Microsoft name usually is getting omitted when someone is talking about big, bad, tech companies (Apple, meta, alphabet). Also Google already killed stadia so they voice will be heard less. NVIDIA model is completely different vs gamepass so not sure what they are meaning about, that they will not. be able to get games for free on their service as they used to, and robbing game devs in the process?

reksveks

Google being Google, one of the most hated tech companies, being against this deal might actually help MS. If people have not noticed, since new leadership was installed at MS, Microsoft name usually is getting omitted when someone is talking about big, bad, tech companies (Apple, meta, alphabet). Also Google already killed stadia so they voice will be heard less. NVIDIA model is completely different vs gamepass so not sure what they are meaning about, that they will not. be able to get games for free on their service as they used to, and robbing game devs in the process?
1) FTC will take any arguments from anyone including Google, Meta and Amazon
2) Google complaints have some validity, maybe slightly less so since they exited game streaming as a service but they still want to whitelabel it. I still wonder whether this deal makes it harder for them to whitelabel their service to other publishers, the bigger issue is that most publishers target windows and this deal doesn't change that. I think antitrust resolve here is about making cloud service providers have a higher level of openness.
3) nvidia model is different but not significantly so especially for regulators, think the real question is still going to be whether it's a separate market. I do agree that publishers need to opt in to cloud streaming, hopefully they come to the conclusion that makes sense for themselves.

Three

Geforce Now was in beta since 2018 and The Long Dark on it since the start date. No issues whatsoever throughout the years. Come March 2020 the dev asks for it to be removed from GFN. April 2020 it's up on Gamepass and xcloud.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/ne...es-Deliver-Us-The-Moon-and-The-Long-Dark.html

That's how they want to control their content. A way of making money via contracts with platform holders, even for games you might own already. You can be for that and consider the publishers rights more important, that's fine, but you can't really argue that these platform holders and publishers don't limit your choices/rights to use other hardware for your own purchases in order to get that service/exclusivity revenue from their content.

feynoob

Geforce Now was in beta since 2018 and The Long Dark on it since the start date. No issues whatsoever throughout the years. Come March 2020 the dev asks for it to be removed from GFN. April 2020 it's up on Gamepass and xcloud.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/ne...es-Deliver-Us-The-Moon-and-The-Long-Dark.html

That's how they want to control their content. A way of making money via contracts with platform holders, even for games you might own already. You can be for that and consider the publishers rights more important, that's fine, but you can't really argue that these platform holders and publishers don't limit your choices/rights to use other hardware for your own purchases in order to get that service/exclusivity revenue from their content.
That is how business is. Pay the price and you get the product.
The first tweet shows why it was issues regardless of beta or not. Nvidia didn't bother asking permission from the devs, and put these games on their service.

Rac3r

Ultimately, this deal needs to get done, and I think the industry will benefit from it, it'll certainly benefit more than it will if it falls through.

How does it benefit the industry though? You said Microsoft would likely pull out of gaming if the deal falls through. That implies that they have zero intent to compete creatively.

When the Wii U and PS3 had poor launches, Nintendo and Sony innovated on hardware and software, respectively, and their gaming divisions were better for it. Microsoft hasn't innovated at all, and have instead decided to compete on value (Game Pass). That does nothing to push the medium forward.

noise36

MS opposed Nvidia's acquisition of ARM.

Nvidia opposes MS's acquisition of Activision.

I dont think they are actually apposing it are they? Seems like they are concerned people wont be able to stream ABK content if the deal goes through. A strange position since you cant stream ABK content with Nvidia now anyway.

Google is concerned MS will have a stronger streaming offering after exiting the market themselves...wait what?

Last edited:

feynoob

I dont think they are actually apposing it are they? Seems like they are concerned people wont be able to stream ABK content if the deal goes through. A strange position since you cant stream ABK content with Nvidia now anyway.

Google is concerned MS will have a stronger streaming offering after exiting the market themselves...wait what?
It's a pointless concern.
Nvidia isn't going to get Activision games. Google is already out of market.

reksveks

Oppose is maybe a strong conclusion but I think we will get info via the CMA docs although we may have to guess the company writing the document

pasterpl

So it is okay if someone create a streaming service, charge people for it and put games on it without asking devs/publisher first and don’t pay the devs anything? This is some Wild West business practices your are defending.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Some random thoughts:
  • I no longer believe this deal is going through.
    • If it does, the concessions will be so absurd that MS will rue the day it decided to accept them.
  • I think the hysterics over it are quite funny, but it's clear that MS's reputation from the Gates/Ballmer years still haunts it...and that's a huge problem.
  • I pretty much envision MS going into to full troll mode once they abandon this effort.
    • This, sadly, will only worsen their reputation, but the head honchos will not be able to pass up any opportunity for revenge against Sony, Google and Nvidia...but mostly Sony.
  • To compensate, MS will start swallowing up any and all IPs and small to mid-sized devs they can.
Also, it's time to push Phil Spencer out the door. The amount of devs they have who are sitting around playing with their dicks is just absurd. I wish I had a job there; no responsibility or accountability needed.
this is most hope filled post I've read here, hope it does not go through 🤞

reksveks

So it is okay if someone create a streaming service, charge people for it and put games on it without asking devs/publisher first and don’t pay the devs anything? This is some Wild West business practices your are defending.
not sure Three is arguing that at least in that comment (may be others but haven't read that all), GHG imo was arguing that.

Three

I would say yes because it's not like the user has stolen that content. They have paid for it, rented a PC from a separate provider and are playing their bought game on it. I'm not trying to highlight the idea this is OK anyway. I'm only trying to show what the intent of removing that content is from the publishers side and it has nothing to do with Geforce now streaming not being "compelling".

reksveks

Think its an interesting question of "where do we draw the line between platform and devices". Our digital lives may be easier with cross-store and cross-platform licensing, may not.

feynoob

No it's not. It foreclosed out of the consumer market but it is still trying to establish linux based cloud servers for cloud gaming and requires game support. It's trying to become like Blacknut B2B minus the B2C side.
They aren't going to get Activision content on their services. The fuck are you guys on.

If Activision said no, then it's no. It isn't MS fault, that the company doesn't want their games on these services.

There is no foreclosures, if you can't even get the content from the owner before.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jez Corden is a loser. Wow. WHat a tweet.

Id rather everyone shares their concerns over this deal than stay quiet then complain after.

Get everyone to put all their evidence in and make a fair decision either way.

Three

They aren't going to get Activision content on their services. The fuck are you guys on.

If Activision said no, then it's no. It isn't MS fault, that the company doesn't want their games on these services.

There is no foreclosures, if you can't even get the content from the owner before.
What has this got to do with what I said? I said Google are still in the B2B cloud gaming business and their B2C business foreclosed.

Jez Corden is a loser. Wow. WHat a tweet.

Id rather everyone shares their concerns over this deal than stay quiet then complain after.

Get everyone to put all their evidence in and make a fair decision either way.

He's pretty much broken at this point. Hopefully he doesn't fall into a deep depression over this. I've seen what that can do and it's a pretty horrible situation to be in.

How does it benefit the industry though? You said Microsoft would likely pull out of gaming if the deal falls through. That implies that they have zero intent to compete creatively.

When the Wii U and PS3 had poor launches, Nintendo and Sony innovated on hardware and software, respectively, and their gaming divisions were better for it. Microsoft hasn't innovated at all, and have instead decided to compete on value (Game Pass). That does nothing to push the medium forward.

I didn't say it was likely that they pull out. It's so fascinating how people read things and make their own conclusions that aren't justified from what they read.

I said Spencer is likely to get fired, not that Microsoft is likely to pull out of gaming. Is it a possibility? Absolutely, one confirmed by Spencer himself.

But no, I don't think you're going to see much innovation from Microsoft in gaming if this deal falls through. For Microsoft it comes down to opportunity costs. The sell for the Microsoft board would have been, hey we can turn GamePass into the Netflix of gaming on console and PC. To give you some context, Netflix has an annual net income of about 5 billion dollars per year the last couple of years.

The goal for buying Activision is to say, this will cement GamePass and xCloud as future revenue drivers and let Microsoft compete against multiple competitors in the space.

Activision can generate nearly 3 billion in net income in a year, if combined with GamePass being successful this pushes you to maybe 5-7 billion a year in annual income not even including the rest of what Xbox makes. So long term you think you can pay off the investment in 10-15 years, but end up with the Netflix of gaming.

That's the sell.

What Microsoft doesn't want is an entrenched cyclical battle with Sony over 3rd party royalties and console sales. That's not their bag and I think everyone needs to recognize that. Do they want the XSX/S to outsell the PS5? Of course, but that's not where their focus is. They just need a platform to drive GamePass.

If you have 25 million subscribers paying 10 dollars a month (yeah yeah, I know they're not all paying, but let's keep this academic) 250 million dollars a month 3 billion a year (in revenue). How much is that in net income? We don't know, but let's say it costs a billion dollars to run it. That would put them at 2 billion in profit a year. It wouldn't be a bad start, but GamePass needs something to sustain it on an annual bases. CoD fans would be a great way to do that.

I'll end things in saying, quite a few people would say that GamePass is in itself just as much an innovation as the Switch or the Wii. I'm not sure if Sony really innovated between PS3 and PS4, rather they kind of went back to square one.

I didn't answer your other question

I think you have two outcomes

The deal fails, and if Microsoft does diminish its interest in gaming and if they were to pull out of Xbox, that would leave Sony as a console monopoly. I think everyone can agree that is an awful outcome.

The deal succeeding keeps Microsoft in for the long haul. I think that's good for the industry. I think it also puts Microsoft in a difficult situation where they can't buy any more major publishers, and I think that's also good for the industry. I don't think this deal negatively impacts enough consumers to be all that concerned. Tons of CoD players on PS5, but how many of them are diehards? I think they'll be fine regardless and increased competition will be healthy for the industry. Sony and others will put out more resources to combat CoD's dominance in the genre, which will push CoD to improve as well. That's a net gain for consumers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The deal fails, and if Microsoft does diminish its interest in gaming and if they were to pull out of Xbox, that would leave Sony as a console monopoly. I think everyone can agree that is an awful outcome.

Since 2018 they have bought Zenimax, Playground, Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, InXile, Compulsion and Undead Labs. I can't see how their entire presence in the market could depend on this one acquisition.

feynoob

What has this got to do with what I said? I said Google are still in the B2B cloud gaming business and their B2C business foreclosed.
The issue is that Activision doesn't want to put their content on streaming services.
If this deal fails, they will still go out of their way of not putting their big content on streaming services.

This deal is their only chance of getting any hope of adding that content on their service.

If regulators approved it, they would have a concession that would make MS put those content on streaming services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom