• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

J6mQREj.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No it doesn't . The potential market increases as people who do not own a console or a gaming PC can potentially sub to GPU to access these titles on anything with a Chromium-based web browser or a smart TV with the GP app. You are leaving out the potentially untapped consumers this expands to.
So Activision-Blizzard needs MS’s help to bring CoD to the cloud?

Also, cloud gaming being a substitute for games like CoD in countries where very cheap PC’s or web browser based solution on cheap TV’s is the only accessible option (over a used PS4 or a PS5 or an XSS which already gets CoD) is interesting… oh sure, internet connectivity and stability will be 500 Mbps or more downstream and affordable… 🤔

feynoob

Gold Member
The fact that you can't form a coherent thought without using idas, Hoe law, and era posters as a foundation.
I am sorry, but we arent prentending to be experts here like you are.
Not everyone is knowledgable in this subject.
But go a head with your mighty infomation.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Its funny that people are downplaying real lawyers and people who are expert in this field, and make fun of people who want to hear their opinion.
Its sad that these people are so egotistical.

elliot5

Also, cloud gaming being a substitute for games like CoD in countries where very cheap PC’s or web browser based solution on cheap TV’s is the only accessible option (over a used PS4 or a PS5 or an XSS which already gets CoD) is interesting… oh sure, internet connectivity and stability will be 500 Mbps or more downstream and affordable… 🤔
You only need 25 Mbps

It's not that ABK needs Microsoft's help, but Microsoft already has the infrastructure in place that Activision does not. Also, it's Microsoft's current business strategy/desire to do this with Activision properties, not Activision's.

As for the either or scenario involving used PS4s or PS5s, there doesn't need to be an either or. That's the entire point of Microsoft's strategy. They're giving more people access to games across a wider set of devices. That sole point has yet to be successfully challenged in a way that would make it not true. Microsoft with this acquisition and Game Pass helps expand the market of users and devices for ABK games significantly. And the internet connectivity and stability claim was made for Xbox One and PS4. Look where we are today. Areas that lack solid internet is no reason to believe that areas that do have reliable internet will wait or not keep progressing closer towards digital and cloud.

Many made a lot of big claims about what the world wasn't ready for with xbox one and ps4 in the move to digital, and now here we are today where digital has all but dominated all else. Even those who buy physical still often need to download gigabytes worth of updates for their titles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Many made a lot of big claims about what the world wasn't ready for with xbox one and ps4 in the move to digital, and now here we are today where digital has all but dominated all else. Even those who buy physical still often need to download gigabytes worth of updates for their titles.
This is not the same kind of connectivity you need for streamed games. You know you are comparing apples to oranges ;).

This is not the same kind of connectivity you need for streamed games. You know you are comparing apples to oranges ;).

This is true. However, I would argue you need a superior, more reliable connection to download the kinds of massive games and updates of today's digital industry versus the bandwidth needed to stream cloud games where zero downloading of either games or big update patches are since that's already handled on the cloud backend.

And cloud gaming should never be construed as a replacement for native gaming. It's an option a compliment. People accept the decrease in quality compared to a console or gaming PC. I can see cloud gaming being absolutely huge for mobile-style games personally.

VAVA Mk2

I am not saying they need Microsoft's help. I am saying that GPU is a service that is easily accessible to people who may not normally game or want to pay for dedicated hardware beyond a controller and provide reach to new markets and demographics. Yes, CoD could try to go to another streaming service, but Microsoft right now as the most robust infrastructure set up for it at this time and likely will stay that way considering it has experience in the gaming world through XBox and PC and it is a cloud giant along with Amazon and Google (who already failed and bailed).

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I would argue you need a superior, more reliable connection to download the kinds of massive games and updates of today's digital industry versus the bandwidth needed to stream cloud games where zero downloading of either games or big update patches are since that's already handled on the cloud backend.

You could argue that. You would be retarded to do so, but you could argue it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am not saying they need Microsoft's help. I am saying that GPU is a service that is easily accessible to people who may not normally game or want to pay for dedicated hardware beyond a controller and provide reach to new markets and demographics. Yes, CoD could try to go to another streaming service, but Microsoft right now as the most robust infrastructure set up for it at this time and likely will stay that way considering it has experience in the gaming world through XBox and PC and it is a cloud giant along with Amazon and Google (who already failed and bailed).
It sounds like MS should consider making Azure available to third parties, sounds like they could make a killing ;).

You could argue that. You would be retarded to do so, but you could argue it.

You don't need a better connection to consistently download 20-100GB+ games with multi-gigabyte updates versus simply a connection adequate enough for reliable enough video streaming? That's quite a statement. The era of digital gaming we are in today and the level of internet it takes to support it on such a large scale exceeds the requirements for cloud gaming to be viable. Let's not go back to sounding as clueless as people did when they thought digital wouldn't take off prior to Xbox One and PS4. Many people of common sense knew better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You don't need a better connection to consistently download 20-100GB+ games with multi-gigabyte updates versus simply a connection adequate enough for reliable enough video streaming? That's quite a statement. The era of digital gaming we are in today and the level of internet it takes to support it on such a large scale exceeds the requirements for cloud gaming to be viable. Let's not go back to sounding as clueless as people did when they thought digital wouldn't take off prior to Xbox One and PS4. Many people of common sense knew better.
You wait longer and care less for bandwidth going a bit up and down. With cloud streaming you are far more dependent on stable ideal conditions… also about low latency, another thing you do not care about when doing a download.

Repeated downloads? Good thing you can backup games on cheap very large external USB drives ;).

feynoob

Gold Member
If we go by stadia mode, streaming requires alot of data, depending on how much and what resolution you want to stream.

ResolutionData usage
Up to 4K (Stadia Pro only)Typically under 20 GB/hr
Up to 1440p (Stadia Pro only)Typically under 14.4 GB/hr
Up to 1080pTypically under 12.6 GB/hr
Up to 720pTypically under 4.5 GB/h

4k resolution with 40 hour gameplay would require you to use 800gb of data.
1080p resolution with 40 hour gameplay would use 504gb data.

You will need to download 16x of high on life (50gb storage) in order to reach the same usage as 4k streaming, or 10x for 1080p usage.

Streaming uses more data compared to download.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

With downloads you let the game download overnight or over the course of a couple of days (if you have REALLY bad internet), and once the game is downloaded you have smooth gameplay regardless of whether your internet craps the bed or not. Maybe an update needs to occur every so often, but updates (generally speaking) either aren't required, or are nowhere near as large as the game download itself was. With streaming you are 100% dependent on that internet connection remaining stable every time you play a game. Power outage? Get bent. ISP issues? Get equally bent. Cloud server issues? Again: bent. Quit acting like cloud gaming/streaming just became a sudden game changer which rendered downloads obsolete. It didn't.

Last edited:
You wait longer and care less for bandwidth going a bit up and down. With cloud streaming you are far more dependent on stable ideal conditions… also about low latency, another thing you do not care about when doing a download.

Repeated downloads? Good thing you can backup games on cheap very large external USB drives ;).

Repeated downloads, yes. Cause games keep releasing, updates keep coming to many games, especially for the most played games or the huge live service titles. So, yes, gigabytes and gigabytes of repeated downloads. What makes you think latency isn't important during downloads? It's extremely important and more or less can greatly influence your download performance. Let's not forget about the many people playing multiplayer games natively over the internet. Another area where latency is very important in our current digital games industry.

As I said, the current market already exceeds what cloud gaming needs to be viable. But it will continue to be a complimentary option for most who rather play native. But the great thing is options are brought to people who lack the necessary console or gaming PC, which is why this deal will always be a net positive to the industry and consumers at large. It's providing more options.

With downloads you let the game download overnight or over the course of a couple of days (if you have REALLY bad internet), and once the game is downloaded you have smooth gameplay regardless of whether your internet craps the bed or not. Maybe an update needs to occur every so often, but updates (generally speaking) either aren't required, or are nowhere near as large as the game download itself was. With streaming you are 100% dependent on that internet connection remaining stable every time you play a game. Power outage? Get bent. ISP issues? Get equally bent. Cloud server issues? Again: bent. Quit acting like cloud gaming/streaming just became a sudden game changer which rendered downloads obsolete. It didn't.

Who said any of this? You're making the exact argument people made prior to Xbox One and PS4. And why are you highlighting all the downsides of cloud gaming that people knowingly accept? You're only proving my point. Cloud Gaming is a complimentary component to the preferred native experience, nothing more, nothing less. Also, it opens the door to many people who don't own consoles and high end pcs to play, yes, despite whatever sacrifices that come with cloud gaming. That's the whole entire point.

feynoob

Gold Member
Cloud gaming is good option for those who don't have the system in their area, or can't afford the system.
That is what I liked about stadia. I can play games at maximum settings, which my PC can't do that.

Sadly the market is small now, and needs more work in the oven. People would soon come to realize how great is cloud gaming, if we iron out the current issues.

I am waiting for that day, when I don't have to spend $1000 for both Xbox and PS, and just play their games through cloud.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Repeated downloads, yes. Cause games keep releasing, updates keep coming to many games, especially for the most played games or the huge live service titles. So, yes, gigabytes and gigabytes of repeated downloads. What makes you think latency isn't important during downloads? It's extremely important and more or less can greatly influence your download performance. Let's not forget about the many people playing multiplayer games natively over the internet. Another area where latency is very important in our current digital games industry.

As I said, the current market already exceeds what cloud gaming needs to be viable. But it will continue to be a complimentary option for most who rather play native. But the great thing is options are brought to people who lack the necessary console or gaming PC, which is why this deal will always be a net positive to the industry and consumers at large. It's providing more options.
I can easily download any game, just putting it to download and forget for around an hour or so.

Talk about streaming, it's impossible to me with 300mbps, I wouldn't take just bandwidth as a requirements for cloud gaming, latency affects it way more than it affects downloads, everything is effected by latency but cloud gaming is specially a horrible experience compared to everything else because it had to be perfect out don't be at all, it's the less reliable method for those places where hardware upgrades are more expensive because those are the places with way worse internet to begin with.

pasterpl

Its funny that people are downplaying real lawyers and people who are expert in this field, and make fun of people who want to hear their opinion.
Its sad that these people are so egotistical.
Because on this forum everyone is that actual developer, everyone got law degree and worked decades in `m&A space. What also funny on this forum you can get away taking shit and spreading fud against ms but mention Sony, they poor output in terms of game type variations, their remakes, remasters, price hikes, Jim’s tantrums. You are getting warnings, bans, posts deleted.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
What also funny on this forum you can get away taking shit and spreading fud against ms but mention Sony, they poor output in terms of game type variations, their remakes, remasters, price hikes, Jim’s tantrums. You are getting warnings, bans, posts deleted.

This is objectively untrue. If this statement held any merit then DarkMage619 DarkMage619 wouldn't be on this forum anymore, and people like Captain Toad Captain Toad wouldn't get bans and warnings.

Topher

Gold Member

How is input latency important whatsoever when downloading games?

Because on this forum everyone is that actual developer, everyone got law degree and worked decades in `m&A space. What also funny on this forum you can get away taking shit and spreading fud against ms but mention Sony, they poor output in terms of game type variations, their remakes, remasters, price hikes, Jim’s tantrums. You are getting warnings, bans, posts deleted.

I see plenty of Sony fans on the bans page right now. So explain exactly what it was that Pedro Motta, yazenov, Captain Toad, and Swift_Star "got away" with again?

This persecution complex some of you have is beyond absurd.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

britney spears crying GIF

More persecution complex and zero self-awareness.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Maybe it’s just you. I’ve posted about all of that and none of that has happened to me.

While I doubt that's the case with moderation, maybe part of it's because a lot of that stuff isn't true. I mean if you think something like Returnal, Spider-Man, and GOW play the same, just because they are 3rd person, gaming must be really boring for you.

Don't like remakes and remasters, don't buy them. It's not like the whole team is working on them. Did you complain about the Master Chief Collection? Or the Halo Wars Remaster? Or Gears of War Ultimate Edition (a remaster)? Or Wastelands Remastered? The Age of Empires I & II & III Remasters? The Phantom Dust Remaster (was originally going to be a remake)? Battletoads Reboot? Look forward to hearing you complain when the Goldeneye Remake, Perfect Dark and Fable Remakes/Reboots, and rumored Gears Collection come out.

Just a heads up, those price hikes are coming to Xbox this year, too.

I'd also love to see these supposed tantrums. Jim Ryan released one or two statements about a month or so ago. And only after Spencer brought the 3 yr deal to the public. How is that a tantrum? Yet, you don't see what Xbox is doing, throwing any and all types of PR moves at the wall this whole time, desperately trying to get this deal through, as one? First they were cocky and said there would be no trouble getting it through with no concessions. Then, they offered a few concessions that the regulatory bodies didn't think were good enough to placate their concerns. Then, they said they were done giving peace a chance, acting like the tough guy, going after the FTC itself. They then got a union on board to run PR for them by (most likely) bending backwards to their demands. Now, they're back to trying to be the good guys, dropping the whole tough guy act. You may not call it a tantrum, but it definitely reeks of desperation.

Three

This is objectively untrue. If this statement held any merit then DarkMage619 DarkMage619 wouldn't be on this forum anymore, and people like Captain Toad Captain Toad wouldn't get bans and warnings.

I was about to say. If posts about regional price hikes were getting censored and users banned Darkmage would be in real trouble.

If anything that bunch constantly talking about regional price hikes for a console you are not interested in, in a region you don't live in, shows you're free to discuss whatever you like. News about xbox's second regional price hike just last week and those xbox fans are not wondering why the news didn't make it here though. would have thought like darkmage they would be interested in regional price hikes.

Some fans would rather blame mods for natural public discourse than blame their favourite company for what that is though, or selfreflect on their own actions instead.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Don't like remakes and remasters, don't buy them. It's not like the whole team is working on them. Did you complain about the Master Chief Collection? Or the Halo Wars Remaster? Or Gears of War Ultimate Edition (a remaster)? Or Wastelands Remastered? The Age of Empires I & II & III Remasters? The Phantom Dust Remaster (was originally going to be a remake)? Battletoads Reboot? Look forward to hearing you complain when the Goldeneye Remake, Perfect Dark and Fable Remakes/Reboots, and rumored Gears Collection come out.

Yeah, don’t like reboots and remasters if the original game was released last gen, and the actual new release is barely any different than new release. Next gen upgarades would do the job, but hey, there is bunch of people willing to pay again for almost the same product. Not only this, but I couldn’t enjoy and tell people how revolutionary it is:

Another uncharted game (finhsed most of these)
Another GoW game
another Horizon Game (applies to forza horizon that was cross gen)
Spider-Man `miles dlc sold at full price
Spider man 2
Etc

Btw. Never bought MCC collection, I don’t buy games remasters if I already finished a game on the original hardware, that’s why I keep all of my old games and consoles (psone, ps2, og xbox, xbox360, xbox one x, GameCube, Dreamcast, psp, psvita, gba etc. (except PS4 pro that I have sold as it was one of the most disappointing Sony exclusives lineup in years for me - and I have hyped purchased most of these). Can you say the same that you even played any games that you criticised?

Just a heads up, those price hikes are coming to Xbox this year, too.
Any confirmation of this? Any reliable source? Or are you just talking from your ass or will you throw a quote taken out of context?

Maybe it’s just you. I’ve posted about all of that and none of that has happened to me.
Happens to me quite often, people are offended because I dare to say what I think. They should Grow a pair.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
These acquisitions were largely meant to bolster GamePass, and GamePass has not grown to their expectations (their words).

They're swinging for the fences with the Activision buy to support GamePass.

If the Activision buy doesn't happen their GamePass strategy goes to shit. If their GamePass strategy goes to shit, their very reason for maintaining a console goes to shit.

You guys make it sound like I'm making this up, but you can literally look at quotes from Spencer saying they were looking at getting out of the console market, but he made the argument to the CEO to keep them in it and that argument HAD to be GamePass subscriptions. Major microsoft investors* wanted to get rid of Xbox (as well as Surface and Bing).

I could very easily see them go 3rd party and/or focus just on GamePass on PC.
When you take one step too far in the console war and left your rationality behind for a second.

Three

Not only this, but I couldn’t enjoy and tell people how revolutionary it is:

Another uncharted game (finhsed most of these)
Another GoW game
another Horizon Game (applies to forza horizon that was cross gen)
Spider-Man `miles dlc sold at full price
Spider man 2
Etc

More people would believe you if you weren't harping on about how great the 12th installment of Flight Simulator, the 5th installment of that racing game, the infinite installment of that FPS or that hivebusters dlc of that 6th installment is. People can search your posts you know.

I love all recent remakes of age of empires,
This might a reason why attachment rate is so small on playstation for their exclusive and they have bundle shit out of the underselling titles as they do now with new horizon game. Spot the difference, HFW is barely talked about any more, and HotWheels expansion on Forza is so amazing that some people are calling it to be made a separate game. Same happened with gears hivebusters.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
When you take one step too far in the console war and left your rationality behind for a second.
People like to make shit, since their view is tiny small.
Companies like Sony and MS have different ways of investment. If one fails, their money doesn't disappear in to thin air.

For example, if MS fails to buy Activision, they won't lose their money aside of that break up fee. That lost money could be used to buy small studios like CDPR, and partnership.

Sony or MS won't go in to 3rd party mode. They are valuable to this industry. If any of these goes to that route, say goodbye to market competition and say hello to complacence and bad consumer practices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom