• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Got it me mixed up with someone else mate, I am only getting short bans bacause some Sony fans cannot take critique (my opinion of games that I have paid for and played) and report my posts at very high rate. Very fragile people. Don’t think I have got a perm warn.
You keep crying you are not allowed to have your opinion about Sony but I could go back years where all you do is criticize, downplay and repeat the same opinion over and over again (the same one you repeated again here yesterday).

There is many more but they were in locked threads so I couldn't quote them. You've been repeating the same "opinion" for years and you claim you're being censored? How many times you need to repeat yourself?
This is not that surprising. I own most of the consoles; still have my PS2, PS3, PS4Pro, PSVita, Dreamcast, GameCube, GameBoy(Advance), X360, XboxOneX, gaming PC and managed to get Xbox Series X and Series S at launch in the UK. For the last couple of years, I have found myself using Sony consoles less and less and moving to almost exclusively using Xbox and PC as my main gaming machine.

Sony exclusives lost an appeal to me. That's why PS5 is not that exciting to me and I understand the article in the OP. I've bought all of the Sony big hitters last gen (except TLOU2), and found all very disappointing (various degrees), the top 2 (for me) that I have probably played most are Uncharted 4 and GoW. but have not finished these, as I just couldn't force myself to go yet again through the same gameplay loop.

People are hyped about the new Horizon FW game, it is actually funny as on my PS4Pro, Horizon Zero - I have played approx 4h, then I have recommended it to my partner (she likes open-world games, finished most of the Assassins Creed games) she played approx 4h, and we have both came to the same conclusion, that the game is very boring.

I still own Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, SpiderMan, the Order, Bloodborne etc., and played most of these, but none got me hooked up, all feel very similar and are lacking something special.

I am a working professional and don't have too much time to game, what time I have got I want to use on games that actually are enjoyable, PS5 lineup simply doesn't fit that bill (currently) and there is nothing on the horizon that would excite me (we all have different taste).

I still buy games that interest me, but now exclusively on my Xbox (ok sometimes on PC as well), at the same time, I am subscribed to GamePassUltimate since day 1, and thanks to this service I have played lots of various games from Indie to AAA titles. Bought some after testing on GP, others were hard pass but I cannot deny the value of the service. The cross-device experience of moving between Xbox <-> PC <-> Xbox is just something that I cannot imagine living without.

This is my personal opinion so deal with it.

I’ve put 2h in ghost of Tsushima and dropped it, that 2h is 2x time I have spent with Spider-Man or death stranding before dropping these, not sure why, but most of sony games didnt click with me past gen

Yeah, I simply dont enjoy these games, shocking, I am not allowed to have my own opinion. I have spent my hard earn cash on these games, tried them, but I am not allowed to voice my disappointment. Grow up, please.

Funny thing this is all subjective to your own taste. I recently sold my ps4pro with games like drive club, until down, the order, killzone, infamous ss, uncharted 4, bloodborne, ghosts of Tsushima, tlou2, GOW, death stranding, Spider-Man, horizon zero dawn etc. and have not finished any of these as all were average games for me, boring as hell some, not my type of games. At the moment Sony doesn’t make games that interest me at all. And it is not only me, when you look at sales of Sony exclusives and number of consoles, the attachment rate rarely goes above 10%. So 90% of playstation owners don’t care about Sony exclusives, modest of people play cod, fifa, Fortnite on their consoles.

Mindshare, brand recognition, brand loyalty(look at this forum how many people will defend any decision by their beloved brand, regardless how anti customer it is), friends in ecosystem etc. it is not rocket science.

Ghosts of Tsushima - 8m copies sold - 5.8% of playstation (4+5 owners bought it)
Infamous ss - 6 millions sold - approx 6% of playstation owners bought the game
Detroit - 6 millions sold (imo the the best Sony games last gen that I have completed multiple times) - 6 millions sold - approx 6% of playstation owners purchased it
Spider-Man MM - 6.5 millions sold - 4.7% of playstation owners ( 4+5) bough the game
GT sport - 8.5 millions sold - approx 8% of playstation owners bought the game
Days gone - 8 millions sold - approx 6% of playstation owners bought the game
Horizon zero down - 10 millions copies sold - approx 10% of playstation owners bought the game
Uncharted 4 - 16 millions sold - approx 16% of playstation owners bought the game
GOW - 19.5 million sold - approx 18% of playstation owners bought the game
Spider-Man - 20 millions sold - 17% of playstation owners bought the game

Source of sales numbers
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/playstation-exclusives-best-selling-games-ever-ps4/amp

What I am excited most about in xb games studios is the variety, most of sony big hitters look and play very similar, nothing wrong with that, they have found the right combination of graphics and gameplay and just keep delivering different games using same templates. With Xbox you have got shooters, some rts, with obsidian now part of xgs we can expect some solid aRPGs (New fable from playground), games like flight simulator, lots of smaller, passion projects from likes of rare or project Mara. In addition, due to raw power Xbox sex should be the best platform to play 3rd party games. Only people worried about ms and xbsex seems to be Sony fans that will probably never own Xbox and wish ms to fail.

funny thing is that Sony fans consider most of Sony exclusives to be the best games ever, and cannot understand someone not liking them, eg. for me these games are just boring (same template used all over again with different story), I have played like 30minutes of Spider-Man on my PS4 pro and stopped as I have got bored, never came back for more (and I consider myself a Spider-Man fan), was simply disappointed, based in this experience, ps5 at launch have no interest for me.

let me counter this with my subjective opinion; I am not a big fan of 3rd person story driven games, that at core are very similar to each other, with this in mind I don’t find Sony exclusives very appealing and ps5 becomes an optional purchase for me as simply their lineup is poor in my opinion, was disappointed with sony switching their focus with PS4 to, what seems to be, one type of game template and releasing games that are, in my opinion, average. (I appreciate that some of their games look very pleasing, but the gameplay in most I find boring).
Did you call them boring movie games or something similar?

That usually gets people banned here.
Yes, he's been complaining about the "Sony template" all over his posting history and says it's not enough 🙄

More:

my point is that there is a big variety of games on game pass, the only genre that it quite underrepresented though is 3rd person adventure/story games quite often referred to as “walking simulators” that are very popular on playstation, same, there are not too many “interactive movies” type of games on game pass.

i wasn’t trying to discredit any game, was just responding that maybe that user didn’t like what he played on game pass as there is obvious lack of certain type of games on GP, that are quite common on PlayStation.

to be honest, Xbox is better at racing games, FPS, wrpg, and hopefully with aoe we will see more rts on consoles. Sony have a one category that they “own” - 3rd person interactive movies
it all depends on what kind of games do you like, there are not too many 3rd person walking simulators on game pass (this is Sony domain)
Forza horizon, sea of thieves, flight simulator, gears, gears tactics, ori ...all are not worthwhile, seriously, when people will understand that not everyone must like walking simulators, I own PS4 pro, bought most of the highly rated, worthwhile Sony exclusives and got disappointed each time I have tried these, sometimes even forcing myself to play some of these to try to get into it, to understand all that hype around them (played death stranding, driveclub, uncharted (completed all previous instalments), Spider-Man, horizon zero, the order, gow etc. Still own all - treat all more like a collection collecting dust). I play most on my Xbox, then pc, then GameCube, then on iPhone (with razor kishi), then psvita and my PS4 is on the last spot, least used machine. Literally I have not found anything interesting in Sony offering, except curiosity to understand that hype. Loved wipeout but Sony doesn’t care about this series anymore.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Did you call them boring movie games or something similar?

That usually gets people banned here.
You don't get banned for stating the obvious and having an opinion. This isn't Era.

It's about how you say it. Saying it chill as it is, or getting agressive, starts bar fights and bring the whole tavern down with you.

Last edited:
You don't get banned for stating the obvious and having an opinion. This isn't Era.

It's about how you say it. Saying it chill as it is, or getting agressive, starts bar fights and bring the whole tavern down with you.

Basically it's what I meant. I've seen people state they don't like Playstation related things. But like you said its how you say it that makes a difference between a trolling statement or an honest opinion.

Hence why I mentioned the movie games comment because that's an example of trolling.

You keep crying you are not allowed to have your opinion about Sony but I could go back years where all you do is criticize, downplay and repeat the same opinion over and over again (the same one you repeated again here yesterday).

There is many more but they were in locked threads so I couldn't quote them. You've been repeating the same "opinion" for years and you claim you're being censored? How many times you need to repeat yourself?

Yes, he's been complaining about the "Sony template" all over his posting history and says it's not enough 🙄

More:

GhostOfTsu GhostOfTsu

Basically what I was expecting. I thought he made those types of comments in the past. Thank you for showing us where he went wrong.

This is just another case of someone claiming that " SonyGaf abuses me!!!!". I'm tired of seeing both sides playing the victim when they get spanked.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Pelta88

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ning-over-activision-deal-sources-2023-01-16/

Take away what you want.

I want to see what the market definitions are but not sure if the DG COMP gives us alot of information at this point.

surprised-shocked.gif

Deserves/Needs it's own thread. This is significant if true.

reksveks

surprised-shocked.gif

Deserves/Needs it's own thread. This is significant if true.

It was rumoured to be happening since December 29th so not exactly unexpected to some.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2022/12/microsofts-acquisition-of-activision.html

I have seen reports according to which the European Commission's Directorate-General for Competition is widely expected to issue a Statement of Objections (SO) next month, though it would be out of character for DG COMP not to work out the equivalent of a U.S. consent decree

will be interesting to see if the market takes a note of it.

Last edited:
Remember when EC would approve this by January 😂😂😂

They will very likely Tell MS to sell off Activision & Call of Duty.
If you’re going to shit post at least have your facts in hand. Microsoft had the option to provide concessions and answer their questions in October they refused. Because the cma timeline was going to be matched up with the EC timeline being that they were going to phase two there was no point in doing so until their Statement of objection. That’s the process that both parties can than go back to the table to negotiate concessions before approval this isn’t bad news it’s the process if the eu wants concessions. Microsoft didn’t even fast track the process with the EC so how did anyone expect this to close by January. Once the FTC objected there was no need to fast track anything. Why fast track the approval from the EC if the Cma side is not known yet.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ning-over-activision-deal-sources-2023-01-16/

This deal is heading more and more towards a negative outcome for MS (be it in the form of strong remedies required or a total block).
CMA and Europe are not joking.
Most people here reading the headlines and not the articles as usual. It’s really not a negative article towards Microsoft. Just more procedural jargon. They don’t have to be joking to actually come out with fair and realistic POV. Hell even the cma said 75 percent of their consumers wanted this. So are they going to go against what majority of their consumers want? The people they work for? Also the EC is more accepting of remedies then the cma and FTC and it made no sense for Microsoft to offer them anything before hand until their charge.

Topher

Gold Member
Most people here reading the headlines and not the articles as usual. It’s really not a negative article towards Microsoft. Just more procedural jargon. They don’t have to be joking to actually come out with fair and realistic POV. Hell even the cma said 75 percent of their consumers wanted this. So are they going to go against what majority of their consumers want? The people they work for? Also the EC is more accepting of remedies then the cma and FTC and it made no sense for Microsoft to offer them anything before hand until their charge.

I seriously doubt the number of responses in favor of the acquisition is going to have a major impact. That's not what the "people they work for" are paying them to do. If that were the case then why not just have a popular vote on each acquisition?

You talking EU DG COMP or European Court?

Source that you cant appeal the EU DG COMP.

Illumina are appealing against the DG COMP decision to the EC.

IloLt8f.jpg

Yeah, I was just looking up something like this. Not nearly as cut and dry as some think.

//DEVIL//

You can't fight against EU.

This is not America, once EU blocks you're DONE BABY 👍

Or pay 10% of your Yearly Revenue to Europe.
I did not know about the 10% thing would apply if the deal is blocked in EU.

honestly, that doesn't sound bad to get things going.

I thought if the deal is blocked in the EU and MS still bought them, they wouldn't be able to release these games in the EU ( like let's say the US is ok EU is not for example ).

reksveks

I thought if the deal is blocked in the EU and MS still bought them, they wouldn't be able to release these games in the EU ( like let's say the US is ok EU is not for example ).
Illumina said fuck it, we will stick some money aside for the fine and close the deal whilst we are still appealling the decision

https://www.reuters.com/markets/dea...-turnover-over-grail-deal-sources-2023-01-11/

Not expecting MS to go down this route.

Thought I should add what Topher said below, 20bn clearly ain't worth it. Not sure how Illumina decided it was. I know the ALJ in the FTC court 'approved the deal' or at least overturned the Commissioners decision.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

MS isn't going to pay $20 billion a year in fees for a $69 billion purchase.

Pelta88

Most people here reading the headlines and not the articles as usual. It’s really not a negative article towards Microsoft. Just more procedural jargon.

Antitrust notices from the EU commission are not just procedural. Here in the EU they carry significant legal weight. Nobody is saying the deal has fallen through but to act like this is just procedure is disingenuous to say the least.

Ronin_7

They can release the games in EU but they'll have to pay Europe 20B per year in cash since Microsoft revenues are 200B per year or something like that.

Pelta88

Do you know what would happen to Microsoft stock if they went ahead with the deal and had to pay the EU 20 Billion per year for the privilege?

Or are you just fanboying?

I don't really understand this.

Is it similar to what the FTC is doing?

I mean they're both investigating it, but no AFAIK they aren't suing to block the deal like the FTC is. Down in the article it mentions that concessions are being discussed. R reksveks has a post on this page listing some stuff worth reading.

Personally I still think the deal is going to pass, but with some very notable concessions.

feynoob

Gold Member
They can release the games in EU but they'll have to pay Europe 20B per year in cash since Microsoft revenues are 200B per year or something like that.
I don't know how it works. But if MS has to pay that fees, they might abandon the deal. It's not worth paying that much money.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't really understand this.

Is it similar to what the FTC is doing?
As per my understanding, it's different.

FTC filed a lawsuit against MS. EU will present a charge sheet of why this deal shouldn't go through, and MS can respond to that by providing concessions.

The article also mentioned that MS is asking to send the concessions directly if EU doesn't formally send them the chargesheet (so MS could maintain the positive image regarding this deal), but EU said that they will first send the charge sheet and MS can respond with concessions later.

Either way, it's clear that EU is not approving the deal as is, at the very least.

If the concessions are good enough, EU will approve. If not, EU can block the deal. That'll be the final nail in the coffin, imo.

Last edited:
I mean they're both investigating it, but no AFAIK they aren't suing to block the deal like the FTC is. Down in the article it mentions that concessions are being discussed. R reksveks has a post on this page listing some stuff worth reading.

Personally I still think the deal is going to pass, but with some very notable concessions.

So it's probably not a Bethesda 2.0 kind of situation where they can take everything away.

feynoob

Gold Member

If it passes without no concessions, it would be really bad for the industry. As that would set precedent for other purchases.

EU and FTC need to do some serious concessions, like locking big games on Sub services, and other platforms.

They shouldn't give MS easy way out.

As per my understanding, it's different.

FTC filed a lawsuit against MS. EU will present a charge sheet of why this deal shouldn't go through, and MS can respond to that by providing concessions.

The article also mentioned that MS is asking to send the concessions directly if EU doesn't formally send them the chargesheet (so MS could maintain the positive image regarding this deal), but EU said that they will first send the charge sheet and MS can respond with concessions later.

Either way, it's clear that EU is not approving the deal as is, at the very least.

If the concessions are good enough, EU will approve. If not, EU can block the deal. That'll be the final nail in the coffin, imo.

OK so I guess it's up to Microsoft to accept the EUs demands from my understanding. It will be interesting to see what they are. It could either be pretty minor concessions or really big ones. Like for example if Microsoft had to split off the COD devs that could be pretty serious.

So it's probably not a Bethesda 2.0 kind of situation where they can take everything away.

Yep, more or less.

If it passes without no concessions, it would be really bad for the industry. As that would set precedent for other purchases.

EU and FTC need to do some serious concessions, like locking big games on Sub services, and other platforms.

They shouldn't give MS easy way out.

Agreed. I've never had an issue with MS buying ABK (some might feel differently about that). But I don't want some onrush of mass consolidation, either. And I do think MS need to slow down if/when they get ABK. Focus on what they already have and get some real results going. They would have more than enough studios internally for all of their game production needs if they get ABK.

No idea really what the concessions will be though. I was thinking maybe divest COD into its own company and let Microsoft retain partial ownership, but they'd also have to provide the studios alongside with that (the main COD ones, anyway). Maybe that can happen. Beyond that no idea what concessions would look like for this particular instance.

Antitrust notices from the EU commission are not just procedural. Here in the EU they carry significant legal weight. Nobody is saying the deal has fallen through but to act like this is just procedure is disingenuous to say the least.
There’s no there there in the article. The article doesn’t read like the headlines and the takes being pushed here. The article is saying the EC won’t let the deal go through without concessions. Something everyone knew already. How many years they ask for is something I’d like to see for CoD is it less or more than Microsoft already offered.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
OK so I guess it's up to Microsoft to accept the EUs demands from my understanding. It will be interesting to see what they are. It could either be pretty minor concessions or really big ones. Like for example if Microsoft had to split off the COD devs that could be pretty serious.
Yeah, as far as I understand.

I don't think the EU will ask for splitting COD devs etc. They will be more concerned with Cloud gaming, and I think that could be the deal breaker for Microsoft (depending on EU's ask).

They may ask that COD cannot be locked behind Gamepass only. Everybody else -- PS+, GeForce Now, Stadia (if it returns, for example), Nintendo Switch Online, Amazon Luna, and new entrants -- should be able to put COD on their subscription service whenever they want to -- on fair commercial terms.

Not in the beginning, but down the road it could nullify Xbox Gamepass advantage as far as COD goes (which is the big reason why they are acquiring ABK in the first place and why they weren't hesitant in offering Sony a 10-year console deal).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yep, more or less.

Agreed. I've never had an issue with MS buying ABK (some might feel differently about that). But I don't want some onrush of mass consolidation, either. And I do think MS need to slow down if/when they get ABK. Focus on what they already have and get some real results going. They would have more than enough studios internally for all of their game production needs if they get ABK.

No idea really what the concessions will be though. I was thinking maybe divest COD into its own company and let Microsoft retain partial ownership, but they'd also have to provide the studios alongside with that (the main COD ones, anyway). Maybe that can happen. Beyond that no idea what concessions would look like for this particular instance.
They already have more studios than they need, even without ABK. According to MS docs submitted to regulators, the driving force for MS to acquire ABK is that they want to compete with Sony, but they already have 4 more studios than Sony.

Yeah, as far as I understand.

I don't think the EU will ask for splitting COD devs etc. They will be more concerned with Cloud gaming, and I think that could be the deal breaker for Microsoft (depending on EU's ask).

They may ask that COD cannot be locked behind Gamepass only. Everybody else -- PS+, GeForce Now, Stadia (if it returns, for example), Nintendo Switch Online, Amazon Luna, and new entrants -- should be able to put COD on their subscription service whenever they want to -- on fair commercial terms.

Not in the beginning, but down the road it could nullify Xbox Gamepass advantage as far as COD goes (which is the big reason why they are acquiring ABK in the first place and why they weren't hesitant in offering Sony a 10-year console deal).
What’s fair market for COD? 500 mill? For what 6 months ? I think Microsoft will accept that in heartbeat cause it won’t be sustainable for those companies to pay that. Also won’t be in their service forever would be in Microsoft’s.

reksveks

It ain't going to pass with no concessions clearly and it's been obvious for a while. I still wonder what the markets are for the EC and how does it fit into the EC Statement of objections?

R reksveks
How was your NLD? Do you think Arsenal can win the title?
I don't want to start believing but I am. I am waiting for the end of April where we are like 3/6 points behind City. Hoping Spurs turn up against City midweek.

If EU likes MS remedies, would that stop their objection?
I think they (EC) still want to follow the process. File the SO and then agree the concessions if possible.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For those not waiting on Jez, Hoe Law, Idas, or resetera members to define how the EU defines anti trust.

Article 101 prohibits anti-competitive agreements between two or more independent market operators.

Article 102 prohibits abusive behaviour by companies holding a dominant position on any given market.
This is key!

People keep fixating on Sony/PS, but the real kick in the gut for Microsoft would be cloud gaming that is flying under the radar right now. In terms of IPs, they are huge in Cloud gaming (although the overall market is just small at the moment).

Imagine this case: Microsoft is the leader in cloud gaming right now. They have bought and locked multiplatform IPs behind their cloud gaming subscription, which is preventing new entrants. Google entered the market with Stadia and had to shut down because of Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax (it's on record by Google). Now MS is buying even more IPs, including COD, to lock behind its cloud gaming subscription.

They already have more studios than they need, even without ABK. According to MS docs submitted to regulators, the driving force for MS to acquire ABK is that they want to compete with Sony, but they already have 4 more studios than Sony.
Their business model requires more studios gamepass requires content they can’t rely on third party deal if they really want to grow game pass. You need as much of your own content coming in the service as possible to drive sub. This isn’t Sony’s business model at this time so you’re comparison is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom