• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have spent more time with God of War on PS4 pro before I got bored. Horizon ZD on ps4 made me quit it after 4 hours as it was more of the same (for me it is the same Sony template with different story), same with ghost of Tsushima.

The Sony template is so real and yet, those who played Spider Man, Miles, HZD, HFW, Days Gone, Tsushima and to a lesser extent, GOW 2018/Ragnarok can't seem to notice or acknowledge the issue but yet can see Ubisoft's template from a mile away which is hilarious considering the fact that Sony's formula and template is basically Ubisoft from a decade ago albeit better but still the same issues. A billion icons on the maps, shit collectibles, same setup, formula and template. The only ones that are truly different are Naught Dog games since they're far more linear and aren't completely filled with a ton of repetitive, boring icons on the map that repeat for 50-100 hours. UGH. Same people will say Microsoft does the same shit, Halo Gears and Forza. Funny how they see this despite not playing Xbox but yet can't see the shit that they're supposedly playing which is the formulaic direction of every Sony open world game. SMH.

The Sony template is so real and yet, those who played Spider Man, Miles, HZD, HFW, Days Gone, Tsushima and to a lesser extent, GOW 2018/Ragnarok can't seem to notice or acknowledge the issue but yet can see Ubisoft's template from a mile away which is hilarious considering the fact that Sony's formula and template is basically Ubisoft from a decade ago albeit better but still the same issues. A billion icons on the maps, shit collectibles, same setup, formula and template. The only ones that are truly different are Naught Dog games since they're far more linear and aren't completely filled with a ton of repetitive, boring icons on the map that repeat for 50-100 hours. UGH. Same people will say Microsoft does the same shit, Halo Gears and Forza. Funny how they see this despite not playing Xbox but yet can't see the shit that they're supposedly playing which is the formulaic direction of every Sony open world game. SMH.

Open world games have icons and a map. News at 11

Topher

Gold Member
You seem to believe that their strategy isn't contingent on their planned purchase of the largest M&A in video games and the largest in their own company's history.

Again, their "console strategy". Yes, that is what I have been saying. I think if Microsoft believed such an acquisition were a requirement for a successful "console strategy" then they would have decided against continuing Xbox years ago. The opportunity to buy AB was not a realistic probability until AB fell hard on its face with internal scandals.

The idea that Xbox is in a better place than they've ever been, ignores its success with the 360 and the lack of success they've had with any of its acquisitions to date.

No, I'm fully taking into account the success of the 360 as well. My opinion that Xbox is in the best place it has ever been is based on those acquisitions delivering the games at a level 360 did not. Granted, that has not happened yet and I've been very critical of Microsoft's lack of delivering games consistently. I believe 2023 is a crucial year, however, and I think Xbox will turn it around.

feynoob

Gold Member
Yeah, but explain how that was different for PS3 and 360.

Did the Xbox One drop significantly in sales due to Japan?

No. If that were the case Microsoft would have seriously upped their Japanese investment, that isn't the case.

Initial missteps, plus Sony's improved 1st party support and 3rd party exclusives shifted focus away from Xbox.

They currently have much closer numbers to parity, but that's because you can't find anything in stores.
COD, halo and MP games, which was popular in the west.
These games aren't working these days, due to F2p and BR games.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
show me please any, any game that released sequel with so many improvements as did the latest flight sim vs previous release?

s-l300.jpg

Again, their "console strategy". Yes, that is what I have been saying. I think if Microsoft believed such an acquisition were a requirement for a successful "console strategy" then they would have decided against continuing Xbox years ago. The opportunity to buy AB was not a realistic probability until AB fell hard on its face with internal scandals.

No, I'm fully taking into account the success of the 360 as well. My opinion that Xbox is in the best place it has ever been is based on those acquisitions delivering the games at a level 360 did not. Granted, that has not happened yet and I've been very critical of Microsoft's lack of delivering games consistently. I believe 2023 is a crucial year, however, and I think Xbox will turn it around.

Activision's stock is at one of its highest points in its history.... And was considerably cheaper in 2019.

The reality is these acquisitions for the most part haven't and won't deliver any games that wouldn't have already been released on XSX/S.

The X360 got Elders Scrolls and COD.

2023 is riding entirely on starfield, which will almost certainly have a ceiling, especially on consoles. I personally think their entire model is suspect and not inline with AAA game dev.

COD, halo and MP games, which was popular in the west.
These games aren't working these days, due to F2p and BR games.
Then why did the PS4 sell by almost the exact amount that the X1 decreased?

Topher

Gold Member
Activision's stock is at one of its highest points in its history.... And was considerably cheaper in 2019.

The reality is these acquisitions for the most part haven't and won't deliver any games that wouldn't have already been released on XSX/S.

The X360 got Elders Scrolls and COD.

2023 is riding entirely on starfield, which will almost certainly have a ceiling, especially on consoles. I personally think their entire model is suspect and not inline with AAA game dev.

If you want to play Starfield or Elder Scrolls on console this gen then you have to buy Xbox. PS3 had access to Bethesda games. PS5 will not going forward.

If Starfield is a hit like Skyrim was then that ceiling will be pretty high. I agree they have a lot riding on Starfield though. It really needs to be a kick ass game.

It exist even when you just look at the layout of their skill trees, walk-in talkie sections, painted ledges, loot sound effects. I think people who ignore the similarities are being defensive, just because there are similarities isn’t a bad thing , just a knowledge they exist.

If you want to play Starfield or Elder Scrolls on console this gen then you have to buy Xbox. PS3 had access to Bethesda games. PS5 will not going forward.

If Starfield is a hit like Skyrim was then that ceiling will be pretty high. I agree they have a lot riding on Starfield though. It really needs to be a kick ass game.

Can you name two games Bethesda has made that were as successful as Skyrim? A game that came out 12 years ago.

Tomeru

Sony games have great moment to moment gameplay. Ubisoft does not. That is why people focus on the negative when it comes to Ubisoft, but tend can't seem to notice or "acknowledge" the same when it comes to Sony games.

Gameplay is king.

Fredrik

Can you name two games Bethesda has made that were as successful as Skyrim? A game that came out 12 years ago.
It’s a Metacritic 96 game, it’s not like they pop up often, Elden Ring got there and it became the most awarded game in history. I think it’s fair to accept the bar to be a bit lower than that lol

But Bethesda has a decent 85+ metascore list compared to many devs. And if you add all their studios:

uqdHup2.jpg

I doubt they’ll reach 95+ but I can definitely see Starfield reach high 80s. And that’s just the start, modders are going to take that game into a whole new level if Bethesda has been serious about doing more than ever for the mod community with the new engine and tools.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It’s a Metacritic 96 game, it’s not like they pop up often, Elden Ring got there and it became the most awarded game in history. I think it’s fair to accept the bar to be a bit lower than that lol

But Bethesda has a decent 85+ metascore list compared to many devs. And if you add all their studios:

uqdHup2.jpg

I doubt they’ll reach 95+ but I can definitely see Starfield reach high 80s. And that’s just the start, modders are going to take that game into a whole new level if Bethesda has been serious about doing more than ever for the mod community with the new engine and tools.
starfield about to flop

demigod

Oblivion and Morrowind.

All 3 franchise fans are divided among them, as to who is the best.

Bethesda knows what they are doing.
That's 1 franchise, not 3. Both of those games came out before Skyrim. Pretty sure he was talking about after Skyrim.

gothmog

Gold Member
Shocking that sequels might be like the first game. Also, interesting you ignore GT7, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Destruction All-Stars, Sackboy, and The Show (not exclusive ut still first party) among others. Also, for better or worse, Sony has shelved more best sellling franchises over the generations than probably any other company in gaming.

And yes, Microsoft does tend to lean into their popular franchises. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you mix that in with some bets on new IP. The problem is Microsoft has not had much luck with that. They would have killed for a Horizon, Days Gone, or Tsushima game that sold well.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Also, interesting you ignore GT7, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Destruction All-Stars, Sackboy, and The Show (not exclusive ut still first party) among others.

You do realize that I said open world games right? None of the above are open world games so how could they have the same formula?

gothmog

Gold Member
You do realize that I said open world games right? None of the above are open world games so how could they have the same formula?
You mentioned open world at the end after mentioning the "Sony template". It's obvious you're trying to make the same tired argument that Sony makes the same game over and over. Also, you mention Forza, Halo, and Gears. Are those games open world?

freefornow

Gold Member
Shocking that sequels might be like the first game. Also, interesting you ignore GT7, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Destruction All-Stars, Sackboy, and The Show (not exclusive ut still first party) among others. Also, for better or worse, Sony has shelved more best sellling franchises over the generations than probably any other company in gaming.
Everybody ignores Destruction All-Stars.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You mentioned open world at the end after mentioning the "Sony template". It's obvious you're trying to make the same tired argument that Sony makes the same game over and over. Also, you mention Forza, Halo, and Gears. Are those games open world?

The template is the same as Ubisoft open world games which is why I mentioned Ubisoft. I mentioned Halo, Gears and Forza because none of them change with each installment. Same as Ubisoft and Sony open world games. That's why I included them.

Three

The template is the same as Ubisoft open world games which is why I mentioned Ubisoft. I mentioned Halo, Gears and Forza because none of them change with each installment. Same as Ubisoft and Sony open world games. That's why I included them.

It would make sense if you don't like similar games but this guy pasterpl gets excited for FH5 like this

"Cannot wait for this. Looks amazing and it will probably play amazing like all previous forza horizon games."

Gets excited for Gears hivebusters which he believes should be its own separate game.
Then turns around and suggests he doesn't like sequels, Miles 'DLC', and Spiderman 2 is too similar to GoW Ragnarok, then you've entered cuckoo land.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It would make sense if you don't like similar games but this guy pasterpl gets excited for FH5 like this

"Cannot wait for this. Looks amazing and it will probably play amazing like all previous forza horizon games."

Gets excited for Gears hivebusters which he believes should be its own separate game.
Then turns around and suggests he doesn't like sequels and Spiderman 2 because it's too similar in template to GoW Ragnarok you've entered cuckoo land.

Hivebusters was really good. Enjoyed it more than Gears 5 and after The Coalition wraps up the Kait storyline with Gears 6, im hoping they make a new Gears trilogy with the characters from Hivebusters.

Three

Hivebusters was really good. Enjoyed it more than Gears 5 and after The Coalition wraps up the Kait storyline with Gears 6, im hoping they make a new Gears trilogy with the characters from Hivebusters.
All well and good if you enjoyed it.
A little different when somebody is trying to paint a picture that theyre sick of sequels, 'DLC which shouldn't even be a game', and remakes/remasters then simultaneously harp on about MS sequels, remakes and 'DLC which should be a game' being the best thing ever.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I completed hive busters yesterday.

Gears 5 was a mixed bag. The combat was great. Hated the open world part, and the story was lackluster.

I personally didn't like the characters at first in Hivebusters, but they grew on me.

I didn't like Hivebusters at first, and checked review on steam. People gave it good reviews so had to check it out.

Maps were better than Gears 5 thanks to removing the open world.

The characters grew on me, but not so much that I would like them as main characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom