• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You missed the part where @DenchDeckard was telling us how being in majority means your "better".

Also, mass confusion on which is the real "Heisenberg".

Oh.....and I think Americans on this board just declared war on the UK. Apparently defending Microsoft is our patriotic duty or some such nonsense, but who are we kidding? Any excuse to shoot some guns.

Independence Day America GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

Fuck Yeah.

Great day to be on GAF

Topher

Gold Member
Must be a slow news day if we're regurgitating TheRedShitheads tweets about interviews from 2021 with Pete Hines, not Phil Spencer, and still debating that Starfield was 'stolen' from PS consoles.
Hi guys,

I feel like we haven't really got to the bottom of if Starfield was stolen from Playstation by Microsoft. Can we please dedicate the next 5 pages to "Yeah uh, Nuh uh" arguments and potentially reach a general consensus at the end.

Warm regards,
Clintzil1a

Who said Starfield was "stolen" again?

adamsapple

Who said Starfield was "stolen" again?

Any post with comments like this:

Any claim, or even mere insinuation that Starfield was not going to release on PS5 is not the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth in most rational peoples opinions.

We all know what the insinuation here is, but It doesn't matter if Starfield was in development on console specific environments at all at the point of acquisition, it was not announced for PS4/5 unlike Ghostwire/Deathloop. Had it been, it would be coming out on PS4/5 as well.

Topher

Gold Member
Most of the people in this thread, but you know that.

No, I don't know that. Sucks you are in a shitty mood. Perhaps take a nap.

Any claim, or even mere insinuation that Starfield was not going to release on PS5 is not the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth in most rational peoples opinions.

We all know what the insinuation here is, but It doesn't matter if Starfield was in development on console specific environments at all at the point of acquisition, it was not announced for PS4/5 unlike Ghostwire/Deathloop. Had it been, it would be coming out on PS4/5 as well.

So you just repackaged all that as "stolen" and even quoted the word "stolen". So the answer to my question is no one said Starfield was "stolen". Got it.

RaZoR No1

I got one so I can play games in my bedroom.

If you are not interested in sonys exclusives there's no difference in which console you prefer.

Theres still console exclusives. Like Rdr2 coming along time OK consoles before pc. And some games are less infested on consoles (gta as an example)

And then there's games you can resume from pc to Xbox with games that has xbox play anywhere.
So you only have a Xbox because of the extra comfort.

The console exclusives you mentioned are on Playstation with the same advantages, too.

Additionaly RDR2 was released back on 2018...

Sonys exclusives do not end with their first party lineup.
They have so many third party games which get a console release only or first on Playstation.
Be it from big publishers or some indie games.

Everything you mentioned, except the Xbox Play Anywhere could be done with a PS5, too.
Maybe with the "cross-progression" you are right, but this still has to be suppported by the game itself.

It is just, MS is not doing much, except gamepass, to lure the people to Xbox consoles.
MS Exclusive games? You can play it on PC or Xbox. If you already have a capable PC, you dont really need a Xbox, because it offers no new games.
PS5 or NSW on the other side...
I was going to go there that he himself could be against exclusives but we live in a world currently they don't have a choice to make some things exclusive or risk Xbox future

But in turn he could be the first to say no more exclusives and see what happens

But I wont go there because I have been called an Xbox Fanboy once already today and usually once a day is my limit

Oh I think the fact that I have owned 4 PS5s and now own 2 dual sense edge controllers kind of rules out me being an Xbot
What a Xbox Fanboy , supports liar Phil 😂

People can still have different opinions but have to act different, because it is for the good of the company.

I think MS betted big on xCloud taking off.
I mean the idea itself is nice.
Beeing able to play play Xbox games anywhere and everywhere you want.
But xCloud is not a sub seller. It is just a Addon to GPU sub owners

BTW:
WTF are you doing with 4 PS5?

adamsapple

So you just repackaged all that as "stolen" and even quoted the word "stolen". So the answer to my question is no one said Starfield was "stolen". Got it.

🤷‍♂️

I think it's extremely obvious what posts bringing up year(s) old interview clips and half-baked quotes from Spencer/Hines are about, but if you think me using the word 'stolen' in context here is wrong, I guess that is your prerogative.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
🤷‍♂️

I think it's extremely obvious what posts bringing up year(s) old interview clips and half-baked quotes from Spencer/Hines are about, but if you think me using the word 'stolen' in context here is wrong, I guess that is your prerogative.

Posters on GAF are not the ones bring up year(s) old interviews. The interview with Phil Spencer, posted today, brought up the year(s) old interviews. If you don't like that this was brought then complain about the interviewer. Mischaracterizing and misquoting posters on GAF isn't doing you any favors.

Last edited:
This thread is embarrassing and the usual suspects are pathetic with the nonsense they post. The mods have apparently left the building. Anyway, this acquisition is looking up. Notice how the negative "news" and posts increase when things start leaning green.
Give the mods the benefit of the doubt. Keeping all the crazy people busy in one thread is like automod for the rest of the forum...

Could be a smart play?

fallingdove

Where did anybody say it didn't exist? All I see is them saying they haven't pulled anything away from the Playstation Community, which they haven't, because the Playstation Community never had Starfield to be taken away
And what about Elder Scrolls? And Hellblade? And Outer Worlds? Do you think that Psychonauts 3 will be on PlayStation? Do you think the next Doom title will be on PlayStation?

Nearly every IP that Microsoft own via their recent slew of acquisitions had a home on PlayStation. The whole ‘case by case basis’ PR response is a total cop out and Lies of Phil Spencer’s way of manipulating Xbox fanboys into thinking his actions are somehow noble.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I was going to go there that he himself could be against exclusives but we live in a world currently they don't have a choice to make some things exclusive or risk Xbox future

But in turn he could be the first to say no more exclusives and see what happens

But I wont go there because I have been called an Xbox Fanboy once already today and usually once a day is my limit

Oh I think the fact that I have owned 4 PS5s and now own 2 dual sense edge controllers kind of rules out me being an Xbot
Oh yeah but what did you do to them?
What The Hell Reaction GIF by CBS

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Angry Ryan Gosling GIF by Saturday Night Live

That's 3 gifs that have nothing to do with the thread it is my new record....

Edit :Oh that's what you did nevermind then.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Posters on GAF are not the ones bring up year(s) old interviews. The interview with Phil Spencer, posted today, brought up the year(s) old interviews. If you don't like that this was brought then complain about the interviewer. Mischaracterizing and misquoting posters on GAF isn't doing you any favors.

"Posters" on GAF putting tweets from fanboy shitheel accounts with clips of an interview recorded in 2021.

There's no mischaracterizing going on. It's extremely bare for all to see. Don't know why you're batting in their defense.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

It's no secret Margrethe Vestager hates everything not EU.
She was the person who fined Microsoft a gigantic fine for having explorer/MS Edge pre installed with no suggestions to use another browser up front when loaded the first time.
She has also fined apple and Google billions of dollars for made up reasons to fund her stupid politics.
Yeah she clearly hates all those succesful US companies that totally not do illegal things!
Lets have a look at the list (German only - use translation)....
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_höchsten_Strafen_wegen_Wettbewerbsverstöße_in_der_EU

Huh.... weird - the majority are EU companies - it seems for hating the US so much, she seems to be way too busy fining EU companies!
DAMN YOU VESTAGER! *shakes fist*
At least she does her job unlike her US counterparts....

But it seems you and Phil Spencer have a common hobby: Spreading lies!

Last edited:
I see a lot of arguments being thrown like monkeys throw poop out of their buttholes.

and i think is going to get worse.

Still, this pales in comparison to what happens on twitter.

Even Jezzz said this (paraphrasing): "all these drama/discourse/strategy is not beneficial to Xbox Public Relations/image"

The longer it takes, the more damage is being creating.

and all these interviews... I dont think are doing any favors (at least to the discourse).

Topher

Gold Member
"Posters" on GAF putting tweets from fanboy shitheel accounts with clips of an interview recorded in 2021.

There's no mischaracterizing going on. It's extremely bare for all to see. Don't know why you're batting in their defense.

Alright.....I'll admit I hadn't seen that post. However, the topic itself was brought up in the interview so they opened that door for the world to rehash (which was stupid). And no, I am not "batting in their defense". All I questioned was your characterization of others saying Starfield being "stolen" which is false. I'll leave it at that.

As far as whether Phil "lied", not based on what I'm seeing that video, no.

Red Dragon conveniently leaves out three words from the quote in the tweet: "No example in Bethesda of us pulling something away from the PlayStation Community"

The full quote: "No example in Bethesda of us pulling something away from the PlayStation Community THAT THEY HAD".

Having said that, I'm glad that Peter Hines interview was posted. Starfield exclusivity was never a consideration until Bethesda was bought by Xbox. Puts some narratives to bed. But to say that means Phil lied based on that just isn't true.

Last edited:
Red isn't someone I've considered posting before but this nugget is worth it's weight in gold. Phil is a cold liar.

Yeah that's kind of a smoking gun piece of evidence if I've ever seen one.

I mean it's straight out Pete Hines' own mouth. You can't get much more official than that.

How is that a lie? It was always on a case by case basis for new ip and keeping existing ip multiplat. There is no lie here. Phil is above all this console war nonsense.

Hines literally said that Startfield wasn't going to be an Xbox console exclusive until MS purchased Zenimax.

When Pete Hines himself says that they were not considering Starfield as an Xbox console exclusive until Microsoft acquired them, then at the very least, you should acknowledge that a PlayStation version was in development and that at the very least, it would have released simultaneously to the Xbox version in terms of consoles.

Wanting to think otherwise is just foolish. I wouldn't use language like Starfield was "stolen" from PlayStation, myself; that's a bit loaded and games get cancelled for platforms all the time, especially when you go back to older systems.

But historically, there aren't many instances of multiplat games getting cancelled for PlayStation home consoles unless those games are either also cancelled for other platforms of the same console generation, the developer is taken off the project (affecting all versions), the publisher goes out of business (affecting all versions), or the developer and/or publisher is acquired by another platform holder.

The last of those hasn't really happened much until more recently, especially in terms of publishers. So we can at least acknowledge that when Pete Hines says Starfield wasn't going to be an Xbox console exclusive until Microsoft bought them, he's being truthful. Meaning there IS a version of Starfield in existence for PlayStation that's now permanently on ice.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Hard disagree.

Nearly every single Nintendo console has been risky. Virtual Boy, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch in particular all standing out.

Xbox have released 4 consoles with similar features and incremental power updates. They’ve pioneered certain features in the software space (as have Sony and Nintendo). The only risk Xbox took with the 360 was shoving some great technology in a tiny chassis leading to millions of failed units.
Okay hear me out, using off the shelf component to make a game console for Xbox was risky, Kinect on 360 was risky, HDMI pass-through and trying to merge tv and gaming (hate it or love it risky), XBSX and XBSS are so safe its kind of funny.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay hear me out, using off the shelf component to make a game console for Xbox was risky, Kinect on 360 was risky, HDMI pass-through and trying to merge tv and gaming (hate it or love it risky), XBSX and XBSS are so safe its kind of funny.

Using off the shelf components wasn't risky. That was playing it far too safe with Microsoft sticking with what they knew. I don't see Kinect as risky either when they were just trying to piggyback off the motion control craze that the Wii created.

I don't know about HDMI passthrough but Xbox One at launch forcing Kinect in the box was stupid risky and a big reason why it failed so miserably. Microsoft going back t playing it safe with hardware was the smartest move they've made in a while.

Last edited:
CMA meeting tomorrow?
Any expectations for a yah/no or is it still too early?

Unless Microsoft accept the CMA's structural remedies, or try working with the CMA on more favorable structural remedies (even if they involve divestiture), then it'll be a bust for them.

I also think the EC are going to want structural remedies too. But, I can see both being more lenient with softer ones when paired with the behavioral remedies MS already provided.

Really it's down to how much Microsoft are willing to be humble and work with the regulators on their terms.

Brucey

Yeah. I mainly think this is just "Phil talk" and it's just stupid and likely doesn't have any substantial underlining message.

However, if I assume there is a message in here and these are carefully chosen words, then I'm interpreting is that the Xbox brand remains but it's not a console anymore -- so software sales, Game Pass, etc.

Or like:

sjTsiJQ.jpg
Phil's had plenty of media relations training over the years. He's not prone to sudden random babblings. His chosen words are certainly surprising from a high level corporate officer. The only way I see the xbox series exiting the market is if sales drop to levels where it doesn't make sense for multiplatforms to target it. If it can't get past 30 million lifetime sales....Basically they have to continue Xbox live and gamepass because there's plenty that cashed in on multi-year xbl gold sub conversions for $1 etc. Those people are grandfathered in to the old potentially very low pricing. He can bump up the pricing of gamepass for new subscribers but others are locked in at cheap rates.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Think you have that backward. See Xbox Live, Crossplay, Backwards Compatibility, and Game Pass.
No Atari 7800 was the first backwards compatible console. First one of the modern era was PS2.

First crossplay game was PS2 and Dreamcast with Capcom vs SNK 2 and first between console and PC was PS2/PC with FFXI. In fact Microsoft blocked it for years to the exclusion of losing out on games like FFXIV. Only when they began losing player count numbers to Sony did they switch up. Bizarre to even give them credit seeing as it was Epic pushing it

Gamepass (started 2017) was an evolution of what Sony were already doing with free monthly games (started 2011) and PSNow
(started 2014). I guess MS can get some credit for day one first party games

I'll give you XBL, Microsoft definitely introduced pay gating to consoles for online play and ingame monetisation to consoles.

Brucey

Hard to say about Xbox sales since we don't have numbers. My guess is Xbox Series is actually outselling Xbox One (when aligned) by quite some margin. Also, Tom is right. The investments made into Xbox are concrete examples of Microsoft's committment to Xbox. Xbox isn't a Zune or Nokia situation. It is a significant source of revenue with profitability. I'm guessing the margins are not what they would like them to be, but I see no reason for the Xbox division to be in doubt.
Wasn't part of Microsoft's recent documentation provided to authorities regarding competition concerns that their gaming division has never made a profit? You can't tell from their SEC quarterly filings because they bundle Xbox in with a bunch of other stuff for obfuscation.

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn't part of Microsoft's recent documentation provided to authorities regarding competition concerns that their gaming division has never made a profit? You can't tell from their SEC quarterly filings because they bundle Xbox in with a bunch of other stuff for obfuscation.

I'm not sure. I don't put a lot of stock in the claims lawyers have made to regulators either way. They are trying to paint a picture that suits their narrative.

adamsapple

You've got to be kidding me.

You've posted similar shite and then passed it off as "it's just an aggregator".

Bruh. G. Seriously lol.

Saying Idle Sloth and TheRedShitter are anywhere close to being the same thing is a gargantuan level reach lol.

One account collects and posts news, the other is a shit poster, just look at their timeline :messenger_tears_of_joy:

These are the latest tweets by each respective account:

8AtxjNx.png

Just because Idle Sloth posts more Xbox related news does not make it anywhere the same as theredshitter, not even the slightest lol.

Last edited:

splattered

So did Pete Hines say how far along starfield was in development before they got into talks with Microsoft about a possible acquisition and a decision was made on exclusivity? I'm sure it was in early PC development stages for a while... Maybe console versions simply didn't exist yet and once they started pillow talk with Microsoft it simply went PC and Xbox? That would technically mean ps5 version wasn't stolen because it never existed in the first place. "But it would have been on playstation eventually if Microsoft hadn't bought them!" Is a weak argument. Xbox fans will be saying the exact same thing if Bungie's new ip is PS only, but that's too bad just the way it works.

So did Pete Hines say how far along starfield was in development before they got into talks with Microsoft about a possible acquisition and a decision was made on exclusivity? I'm sure it was in early PC development stages for a while... Maybe console versions simply didn't exist yet and once they started pillow talk with Microsoft it simply went PC and Xbox? That would technically mean ps5 version wasn't stolen because it never existed in the first place. "But it would have been on playstation eventually if Microsoft hadn't bought them!" Is a weak argument. Xbox fans will be saying the exact same thing if Bungie's new ip is PS only, but that's too bad just the way it works.
don't do this.

Topher

Gold Member

If new Bungie games do not come to Xbox then are you seriously going to say Sony acquiring Bungie had nothing to do with it? You cannot be serious, dude.

Last edited:

sainraja

Bungie's new IP won't be PS only.

adamsapple

If new Bungie games do not come to Xbox then are you seriously going to say Sony acquiring Bungie had nothing to do with it? You cannot be serious, dude.

If new Bungie IP's under Sony's watch don't come to Xbox (the one after their next NetEase game), then I would simply say "told you guys so", no first party has any obligation to put out games on rival platforms. Unless a project was specifically announced for a rival platform before the studios acquisition (eg Deathloop/Ghostwire) those are different cases, but other than that there is no obligation for Bungie to make future games under Sony publishing for Xbox, or for Bethesda to make for Sony platforms now.

Bungie's new IP won't be PS only.

Correct. Cause the next game they're working on is most likely with NetEase, whom they've partnered with for it since 2018. So this is very likely a big mobile-first project.

Anything new beyond that, that is made directly under Sony's ownership, is not guaranteed to come to any other consoles unless officially announced.

Last edited:

Three

MS closed the Bethesda deal in early 2021. The game was meant to launch in late 2022. Do you honestly think that "early PC development" timeline works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom