• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The idea is that MS are relying on indies to fill out their portfolio, but once this portfolio gets a steady stream of first party content that's more popular and more profitable they're less likely to give indies coverage/exposure or moneyhats.

they still need a steady content of games regardless of what they produce so Indies will still have its place in gamepads no matter what

Topher

Gold Member
I understand the idea. I don't understand how forum dwellers can claim they understand the impact better than the indies themselves.

That's based on the here and now. Indie devs can't see into the future any more than forum dwellers so any future impact is unknown. T Three is making the point that Microsoft's dependency on indies will lessen as their first party output rises. Last year at GDC, Piers Harding-Rolls made that exact same point during his session on the future of gaming subscription services. Even that is speculation, obviously, but there is logic behind it.

From the Piers Harding-Roll session at GDC. I took notes watching last year:

"Was asked if inclusion in Game Pass means "exposure will be wider, but financial gains will be lower" for a specific game

Answer: Microsoft will rely less on paying third party games as their first party pipeline increases. It is inevitable that the terms won't be as good and deals will be reduced to an extent for third party. Not over the next 12 to 24 months while Microsoft is still relying on that third party content. The risk is it is not standardized and can change over time."

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

And yes, @IFireflyl corrected my mistake. Somehow he was able to do so without being an asshole.
Tv13urW.jpg

Three

The point is that Sony's argument was lame as hell using that excuse. There are plenty of translators that can do the job and get paid quite well for it especially in government.
They didn’t say they can't do the translation. They were asking for a time extension. You made it seem like they can do it with google translate and said it would take 2 seconds.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Job: We need your social and birth certificate.

Potential hiree: Here's my Diploma, mortgage statement, utility bill, car payment info, list of elementary school teachers, mother n laws name, chicken enchilada recipe, wife's Facebook password, and daughter's report card.

Job: .......but

Potential hire: What are you complaining about?!
Exactly that stupid and the base they play to.

Three

Now that you've convinced yourself, you just need to convince those devs. They seem to like it.
Great, do you even know which devs I need to convince? The only one out of the 6 that wasn't anonymous was 4J and they are a potential MS partner who worked on minecraft, perfect dark and Banjo.

I'm not trying to convince anyone anyway. I just disagree with the idea that more first party content with bigger games would mean better indie support or coverage. That has never been the case IMO.

Last edited:

Three

they still need a steady content of games regardless of what they produce so Indies will still have its place in gamepads no matter what
Not sure you can say there is no correlation. I'm sure they would still have a place but I believe its place would be smaller.

You have a one hour showcase. What do you fill it with, multiplatform indies or big exclusive games you now own? You are getting users to your subscription service with a steady stream of big name IPs you own and don't need to pay third parties for. There is less of a need to attract people with those smaller less known games. That's the logic being applied.

Whether that is how it plays out or not isn't known but it's not a far fetched idea, especially if you look at what was happening at the beginning of xbox one and PS4.

Last edited:

LQX

There is some irony in belittling some of the smaller players getting contract guarantees from MS meanwhile crying about what it potentially does to the biggest player in the game which is Sony. Yes, this would have never happened for them if not for Sony's strong opposition, but some and those decrying this acquisition as anti-competitive are now laughing at the fact MS is trying to cater to the smaller competition. This is becoming a potential huge win for some of the smaller players but the biggest concern still seems to be what it will do to Sony.

CuNi

I have obviously little to no knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes at such gigantic companies.
But I have 1 question.

How on god's holy earth does one check all those documents?
Like, I am truly baffled by the amount and the enormous amount of time that needs to be spent in order to check out each one of those.
To top it off, I'd imagine those aren't half page documents that just say "We agree to do XYZ, Signature A, Signature B, k thx bye" but are probably multiple page spanning documents full of obscure and obtuse legal speak!?
How big of a team do you need to dig through all that info, and how long does such a task take? How do you coordinate that even when it comes to reference finding etc.?

DrFigs

I have obviously little to no knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes at such gigantic companies.
But I have 1 question.

Like, I am truly baffled by the amount and the enormous amount of time that needs to be spent in order to check out each one of those.
To top it off, I'd imagine those aren't half page documents that just say "We agree to do XYZ, Signature A, Signature B, k thx bye" but are probably multiple page spanning documents full of obscure and obtuse legal speak!?
How big of a team do you need to dig through all that info, and how long does such a task take? How do you coordinate that even when it comes to reference finding etc.?
I don't have a law degree, but this seems like the sort of thing you would do to inconvenience the other team's lawyers.

Topher

Gold Member
But I have 1 question.

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps this is a lawyer tactic to effectively drown the opposition in documents. Create a needle in haystack situation.

reksveks

But I have 1 question.

You do obviously have technology that uses ACR to get keywords per documents/emails and then that enable you to query that but the general goal of MS and ABK is to make it as painful and costly for the FTC's lawyers as possible. I am wondering how congress is going to look at their budget request that they filled recently.

DrFigs

I mean if they keep fining companies like they did with epic, then maybe they can argue they'll make their budget back? but i'm not sure how much they're asking for.

reksveks

They don't. That's why US debt is nearly $32 trillion.
they do but they just like to hyperfocus on rather random stuff that doesn't really have an meaningful impact on the debt. probably shouldn't go too into what mistakes i think the US makes re: the budget.

Pelta88

What’s weird is people being for an anti competitive acquisition just so MS can increase their revenue sources. Now that’s batshit insane.

That segment of people don't actually care about anti competitiveness or that one conglomerate's stated goal is to buy entire gaming publishers. Labelling that practice as "Increased competition" in the hope of drawing less scrutiny.

They only care about their perception of "XBOX Winning."

Check out all the entirely nonsensical musings we've seen in this thread. Horse shit like "Microsoft doesn't have to follow the CMA or EU regulations, they can just close the deal and sell COD in Tibet instead." Or the questioning of Lena Khan's competence and Education for daring to challenge the anti competitiveness of the deal. My personal favourite being all the ways Microsoft could "Punish the UK" etc etc Those types have never been here for a genuine discussion.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

But I have 1 question.

CTRL-F

Zephyrus0

Banned
I can't, for the life in me, figure out why anyone would want this deal to go through.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Why would anyone want a company known for not investing in their first party games's quality?
Do these people expect Microsoft to have big budget games while peddling gamepass? A service that brings them much lower revenue than just selling games?
Do they actually believe Microsoft's nonsense and lies about wanting to keep CoD multiplatform?
Anyone with half a brain cell knows the only reason this deal hasn't been killed already is because Microsoft is bribing people. This isn't even a conspiracy theory. It's obvious that the only way this obnoxiously monopolistic move isn't already dead is because people are getting paid for it to happen.
Microsoft isn't just buying an IP or developer team. They bought the entire publisher.
That's 2 of the 3 biggest 3rd party publishers. They're only missing EA. They have Zenimax and now ABK.

Literally wanting a worse product if it means playstation gamers can't play it.

DrFigs

I think it's interesting this site is mostly anti-acquisition. But on resetera its the total opposite.

Idk what the implications of this is. But it makes me 🤔

Topher

Gold Member
I think it's interesting this site is mostly anti-acquisition. But on resetera its the total opposite.

Idk what the implications of this is. But it makes me 🤔

I'd say GAF is more evenly mixed than era though. Era, often times, is in total lockstep on particular issues. I think that is mostly because the mods enforce their points of view in anything remotely political like with Hogwart's Legacy. Having said that, I haven't paid much attention to the OT thread there so not sure how that has gone. Speaking generally.

There is some irony in belittling some of the smaller players getting contract guarantees from MS meanwhile crying about what it potentially does to the biggest player in the game which is Sony. Yes, this would have never happened for them if not for Sony's strong opposition, but some and those decrying this acquisition as anti-competitive are now laughing at the fact MS is trying to cater to the smaller competition. This is becoming a potential huge win for some of the smaller players but the biggest concern still seems to be what it will do to Sony.
Phenomenal point. In the end it all comes down to I don't like the company making the acquisition so I'm opposed to the deal. It doesn't matter who benefits from the deal if my preferred company does not. At least Sony's opposition potentially got multiple other companies contracts so that's a good thing. Maybe Sony is looking out for the little guy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phenomenal point. In the end it all comes down to I don't like the company making the acquisition so I'm opposed to the deal. It doesn't matter who benefits from the deal if my preferred company does not. At least Sony's opposition potentially got multiple other companies contracts so that's a good thing. Maybe Sony is looking out for the little guy.
Intellectual dishonesty 101

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom