• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain to me MasterCornholio MasterCornholio obsession with trying to sexualize this thread? I'm on a gaming forum but dude will turn the word "The" as inspiration to post some body part or sexualized content.

It speaks volumes for sure and considering the context, an acquisition, that shit is weird as fuck. Gaf needs to have a quiet word with dude or give us a NSFW warning feature.

I guess I need to hit the ignore button :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Honestly i would go crazy with 7 little weirdos telling me what to cook and to clean. That's kind of my situation at work currently.

I can actually relate to Snow White at the moment.

Last edited:
The thread over there is nonstop Sony bashing and people saying regulators don’t know anything.

Not surprised you have a hard time spotting the “console warring” because you agree with it.

Everybody else is wrong except for us and our community of people with no brain cells who will agree with us no matter what. Any objections, your out!

That's era.

wolffy71

Banned
Great, do you even know which devs I need to convince? The only one out of the 6 that wasn't anonymous was 4J and they are a potential MS partner who worked on minecraft, perfect dark and Banjo.

I'm not trying to convince anyone anyway. I just disagree with the idea that more first party content with bigger games would mean better indie support or coverage. That has never been the case IMO.
Well those are only the ones we heard from. I would guess most other devs would feel the same. So just pick a few and to work.

CuNi

I don't have a law degree, but this seems like the sort of thing you would do to inconvenience the other team's lawyers.
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps this is a lawyer tactic to effectively drown the opposition in documents. Create a needle in haystack situation.
You do obviously have technology that uses ACR to get keywords per documents/emails and then that enable you to query that but the general goal of MS and ABK is to make it as painful and costly for the FTC's lawyers as possible. I am wondering how congress is going to look at their budget request that they filled recently.
I haven't thought of this. This sounds actually plausible.
Still an insane feat to even produce that many legal documents.

The nerd in my asks himself how big should a data hoard would be.
GB? Would it maybe even reach TB?

i thought regulators are meant to assess the anti competitive impacts. why does the personal opinions of people matter here? who cares what a few developers think? if they asked more, im sure they would find another 6 who opposed. it means nothing. also isnt this about the UK specifically? the playing field is even here. xbox almost sold the same amount last year in the UK.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why is this being glossed over. Were there any devs that didn't want this deal to go through? Or was this unanimous among independent third party devs.

This hasn't been "glossed over". This isn't representative of "independent third party devs". It is 5 unknown devs and one with an extremely close relationship with Microsoft. If I had to guess I'd say most devs don't give a shit either way.

i thought regulators are meant to assess the anti competitive impacts. why does the personal opinions of people matter here? who cares what a few developers think? if they asked more, imsure they would find another 6 who opposed. it means nothing.
They are all in favor of the deal. Doesn't that say anything to you?

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Why is this being glossed over. Were there any devs that didn't want this deal to go through? Or was this unanimous among independent third party devs.

It’s content that doesn’t come off as against the deal, so it’s mostly ignored here. Most of the talk about it was people downplaying it. You know, “oh it’s indies!” and “Guess who is looking for a buyout lulz” etc etc

Pelta88

Honestly i would go crazy with 7 little weirdos telling me what to cook and to clean. That's kind of my situation at work currently.

I can actually relate to Snow White at the moment.

Stop polluting the thread with sexual images please. I view this thread on a gaming forum and don't expect to run into the images you keep posting. If you continue, I'll have no choice but to block you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s content that doesn’t come off as against the deal, so it’s mostly ignored here. Most of the talk about it was people downplaying it. You know, “oh it’s indies!” and “Guess who is looking for a buyout lulz” etc etc
You too. Name the 6 devs.

Y'all talking so much shit, yet you can't even name a single one.

Topher

Gold Member
I haven't thought of this. This sounds actually plausible.
Still an insane feat to even produce that many legal documents.

The nerd in my asks himself how big should a data hoard would be.
GB? Would it maybe even reach TB?

Probably gigs I would think if they are sending over Word docs.

Has the CMA reported a dev not in favor of the deal?
They are all in favor of the deal. Doesn't that say anything to you?

Says to me Microsoft asked some devs to write in a favor of the deal just like they had the union orgs publish letters to the FTC.

Last edited:

Says to me Microsoft asked some devs to write in a favor of the deal just like they had the union orgs publish letters to the FTC.

Where did you get that MS asked for devs to write in?

Topher

Gold Member
Where did you get that MS asked for devs to write in?

That's my opinion based on events so far.

As I said earlier....

Looks like another coordinated effort from Microsoft to me. We had the union organizations publishing letters publicly on websites on the same day, addressed to the FTC. We had the "victory for Ukraine" tweet with Boosteroid changing their location from Romania to Ukraine. I see no reason why Microsoft wouldn't have some of its close partners write letters on their behalf. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of it. Microsoft is approaching this thing from every angle they can.

Last edited:

NickFire

Not that the CMA has been swayed by the pro-acquisition letters/emails they've received in the past (Market participant A + the 3/4 in favour public emails), but I expected to see some negative market participant letters this time around. Seemingly it really is only Sony against. Don't know if these letters will sway the CMA, but it's interesting to say the least.
Think about what MS already controls. An entire console eco-system, 1 of the biggest server systems in the world, a glutany of devs and pubs, Gamepass, Office, Windows, etc., etc. And that all stays true even if the deal is rejected.

Whether the deal passes or not, publicly opposing it would come with tremendous professional risk.

Topher

Gold Member
ahh so its from your ass. Got it.

Dude....make better choices...

decisions don't be a dick GIF

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
You too. Name the 6 devs.

Y'all talking so much shit, yet you can't even name a single one.

See? Look at this one. Lots of posts downplaying the opinions from people actually in the industry and they don’t say a word to those people. Hell they even thumbs up and had laughs at people shitting on the anonymous devs or posting conspiracies about them looking for GamePass or buyout deals.

But you say something not negative and they get whiny and want you to name all of the developers 😆🤡

Yeah but let's be honest, most pubs and devs are, or very likely will be, in favor of this. For whatever reason or how it may be beneficial for them.
Any publisher with an interest in F2P, live-service FPS MP games will be in favor of the deal - it has the potential to remove their biggest competitor off their biggest gaming console revenue driver. Ubisoft, Take-Two, EA would all be in favor for this reason alone.

NickFire

See? Look at this one. Lots of posts downplaying the opinions from people actually in the industry and they don’t say a word to those people. Hell they even thumbs up and had laughs at people shitting on the anonymous devs or posting conspiracies about them looking for GamePass or buyout deals.

But you say something not negative and they get whiny and want you to name all of the developers 😆🤡
He's not whining. He's asking for receipts. So, you got those receipts or no?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

How is it downplaying when you can't weigh the importance without knowing who the developers are, with the only one revealed basically their 2nd party style studio?

What is there to discuss? Anonymous shit? Okay,
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Discuss. have at it. Let's get into detail of "studios that shall not be named."

You first, GO!

Elios83

They are anonymous probably for the best or they will probably be harassed by crazy fans or maybe don't want any retribution from Sony is the affect of their future deals.. But this should say something to you right?

Or they could be people tasked to put pressure by creating the impression that everyone is happy with the deal, if it's anonymous is there anything to lose?? In any case they won't have much weight precisely because if you don't put the face on it you can't get credit.
Don't know if you have realized it but at this point it's clear that one part has assessed their chances are not so high and are trying to fight mostly at a mediatic level which is the field they feel most comfortable with.

Anyway the discussion is going in circles.
It would be better to fast forward about one month :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pubs like EA are probably happy because this will allow them to present more lucrative offers to Sony.
Yes, which is precisely why the CMA, etc, will factor in the consumers and how it impacts the industry more. In favor and by select predatory publishers being in favor, is not the ace in the hole you think it is. In fact, it would give the CMA more pause seeing them salivate with their very own "at the expense of the consumer" type practices.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any publisher with an interest in F2P, live-service FPS MP games will be in favor of the deal - it has the potential to remove their biggest competitor off their biggest gaming console revenue driver. Ubisoft, Take-Two, EA would all be in favor for this reason alone.

Of course. The point is that CMA either reached out to them or asked for independent comments from any pubs/devs who want to leave them, and it looks like most of them that left comments are in favor, for whatever weight it might hold to CMA.

yep.
Or they could be people tasked to put pressure by creating the impression that everyone is happy with the deal, if it's anonymous is there something to lose?? In any case they won't have much weight precisely because if you don't put the face you can't get credit.
Don't know if you have realized it but at this point it's clear that one part has assessed their chances are not so high and are trying to fight mostly at a mediatic level which is the field they feel most comfortable with.

Anyway the discussion is going in circles.
It would be better to fast forward about one month :messenger_tears_of_joy:
that's why i asked if there were any dev letters published against the deal. Seemed weird that CMA only published letters of devs in favor?

I have obviously little to no knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes at such gigantic companies.
But I have 1 question.

How on god's holy earth does one check all those documents?
Like, I am truly baffled by the amount and the enormous amount of time that needs to be spent in order to check out each one of those.
To top it off, I'd imagine those aren't half page documents that just say "We agree to do XYZ, Signature A, Signature B, k thx bye" but are probably multiple page spanning documents full of obscure and obtuse legal speak!?
How big of a team do you need to dig through all that info, and how long does such a task take? How do you coordinate that even when it comes to reference finding etc.?
@GPT-4 Summarize that.
@GPT-4 Highlight contradictory statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom