• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Phenomenal point. In the end it all comes down to I don't like the company making the acquisition so I'm opposed to the deal. It doesn't matter who benefits from the deal if my preferred company does not. At least Sony's opposition potentially got multiple other companies contracts so that's a good thing. Maybe Sony is looking out for the little guy.

Let me try.....

"In the end it all comes down to I like the company making the acquisition so I'm in favor of the deal. It doesn't matter who is harmed from the deal as long as my preferred company benefits."

Last edited:

knocksky

Banned
I think it's interesting this site is mostly anti-acquisition. But on resetera its the total opposite.

Idk what the implications of this is. But it makes me 🤔
Although it seems like it is for the acquisition, there's quite a few who post in the ot that are against it. The difference being that there's not much dog piling over there plus ree is strictly moderated, whilst here it's anything goes. The ot over there is littered with thread bans, and the console warring is not that obvious. The ot here is an echo chamber of the same people posting the same shit day in day out, pouncing on anyone that doesn't agree with the pack. Plus the anti-acquisition crew is noticeably larger... No explanation needed for why that is.

Both places are pretty fucked, just one a lot less than the other...

laynelane

First it was regulators are 'protecting Sony' and now they should level the playing field. I wonder what's next? Regulators should investigate Sony and somehow remove their earned market share? Beyond all that, so many people keep trying to make this solely about Sony and the need for them to be punished for their success (while MS should be rewarded for their mistakes and failures). Consequently, the far more important effects on consumers, new entrants into the market, etc. are continually treated as insignificant by media and Twitter talking heads. It's impossible to take any of them seriously due to this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
First it was regulators are 'protecting Sony' and now they should level the playing field. I wonder what's next? Regulators should investigate Sony and somehow remove their earned market share? Beyond all that, so many people keep trying to make this solely about Sony and the need for them to be punished for their success (while MS should be rewarded for their mistakes and failures). Consequently, the far more important effects on consumers, new entrants into the market, etc. are continually treated as insignificant by media and Twitter talking heads. It's impossible to take any of them seriously due to this.
The Office Thank You GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not sure you can say there is no correlation. I'm sure they would still have a place but I believe its place would be smaller.

You have a one hour showcase. What do you fill it with, multiplatform indies or big exclusive games you now own? You are getting users to your subscription service with a steady stream of big name IPs you own and don't need to pay third parties for. There is less of a need to attract people with those smaller less known games. That's the logic being applied.

Whether that is how it plays out or not isn't known but it's not a far fetched idea, especially if you look at what was happening at the beginning of xbox one and PS4.

not sure you can say that it will change how you predict, end of the day even in the 360 era they promoted the Indies still and they had a lot of games themselves then

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I see your last lines point, but the tweet you've quoted are basically direct statements from 6 companies, not 6 twitter journalists.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I see your last lines point, but the tweet you've quoted are basically direct statements from 6 companies, not 6 twitter journalists.
Name those 6 companies. I bet one is GAVIN! WHERE IS GAVIIIINNNNN!

Which is so oddly strange because the vast majority, mods and all were all Sony extremists here on gaf before the big exodus.

Old mods here would ban you for saying anything Xbox positive.
None of those mods that were here, became mods there. They were made normal users. They have an entirely new mod staff of lunacy and brand ambassadors.

Last edited:

laynelane

Yes, I understand that. However, I've seen that sentiment stated in other instances (Tweets, posts, etc.) so it is still applicable. And there is little doubt this particular tweet will help push 'leveling the playing field' into the conversation even more in certain circles. What people choose to tweet, what they highlight, has an effect for good or for ill. In this case, since it deflects attention from the actual issues, it's for ill.

Topher

Gold Member
Following this thread since the beginning with all the discussions, debates & breakdowns we’ve had so far makes me realize how people outside this thread, especially on Twitter, have the most basic understanding of the acquisition. I feel well-informed in this thread compared to any other outside source.

That's really any topic on gaming I've noticed. Go on twitter and you have such simplistic warrior take on things. I mean....that Christopher Dring tweet reporting factual data...

And then shit like this in response....

demigod

Although it seems like it is for the acquisition, there's quite a few who post in the ot that are against it. The difference being that there's not much dog piling over there plus ree is strictly moderated, whilst here it's anything goes. The ot over there is littered with thread bans, and the console warring is not that obvious. The ot here is an echo chamber of the same people posting the same shit day in day out, pouncing on anyone that doesn't agree with the pack. Plus the anti-acquisition crew is noticeably larger... No explanation needed for why that is.

Bout time mods caught who this guy was even though he passed off as being neutral at first. I can’t believe anyone would be dumb enough to use the same avatar that they were banned with.

Kvally

Banned

Will Smith GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Oh, its Leyasu. Thought you ran home crying? Now you come back to cry about GAF?

What a moron.

DrFigs

Bout time mods caught who this guy was even though he passed off as being neutral at first. I can’t believe anyone would be dumb enough to use the same avatar that they were banned with.
I kind of feel bad if it was my comment that led to his banning.

damn bro. rip

Elios83

They cry about how bad this or that place is and they continue to come back with alts :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The other tactic I've noticed is the use of profiles made 1-2 years ago, almost inactive, suddenly they get triggered/activated and they feel at home doing console war...
Fortunately they get caught.

Helghan

Disingenuously correct bullshit. Seen enough of that throughout this saga to last me a lifetime.
That chart has nothing to do with the UK. That was in Brussels for the EU, since they are only protecting their market. Nothing disingenuous about it.

POKEYCLYDE

Not that the CMA has been swayed by the pro-acquisition letters/emails they've received in the past (Market participant A + the 3/4 in favour public emails), but I expected to see some negative market participant letters this time around. Seemingly it really is only Sony against. Don't know if these letters will sway the CMA, but it's interesting to say the least.

Thirty7ven

Banned

The thread over there is nonstop Sony bashing and people saying regulators don’t know anything.

Not surprised you have a hard time spotting the “console warring” because you agree with it.

Pelta88

Can someone please explain to me MasterCornholio MasterCornholio obsession with trying to sexualize this thread? I'm on a gaming forum but dude will turn the word "The" as inspiration to post some body part or sexualized content.

It speaks volumes for sure and considering the context, an acquisition, that shit is weird as fuck. Gaf needs to have a quiet word with dude or give us a NSFW warning feature.

I guess I need to hit the ignore button :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom