• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft against curvy women

Seems hella clickbaity. Not gonna lie. But with people blowing a gasket over that Sweet Baby thing, it's easy to see why people would glom on to something like this though.

"Do they have exaggerated body proportions?"
'Microsoft against curvy women'

Is funny, since I've noticed that a lot of dude's idea of 'curvy' is just a chick with huge tits, and not actual curvaceous women. Hell, you very rarely see curvaceous women in videogames in general.

You either have small pixie/Asian chicks, chicks with huge breasts, fat/chubby chicks, long thin model types, chicks that desperately need a burger, chicks whose intestines have been removed to be better bottle shaped, chicks who hit the gym hard.

The last couple thick women I saw was that Great Fairy from the recent Zelda games, that cyborg/android chick in that puzzle indie game, Gwyneyvere from DS looked like she was packing heat, that Amazon from Dragon's Crown, Raijin from Muramasa is probably in the 'hits gym hard' category, but yeah, I think it's mostly just the Japanese delivering thick/curvy women. Western devs usually stick to what I wrote before, even before all the Sweet Baby stuff.

These days I guess we just aren't gonna get stuff like Elexis Sinclaire and Red Lotus, or the like the older designs of the female MK characters. I was never the biggest fan of those designs, but the fully clothed women with seemingly the same personality types seem to be a worse tradeoff.
"cyborg/android chick in that puzzle indie game" - which ones that?

Danknugz

3SvOt0n.jpg

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
No.

Sony's US studios are woke, just like the rest of the western gaming industry.

Sony as a publisher is not. Hence, Stellar Blade, Death Stranding, Nier Automata and other such games celebrating the sexy female form.

Sony isn't making any blanket rule that games published by them shouldn't include sexy female characters. That's the difference here.

Mate, it isn’t Sony’s first party studios that demanded extra censorship for numerous Japanese games that released uncensored on a Nintendo console of all places. That was Sony.

SaintALia

"cyborg/android chick in that puzzle indie game" - which ones that?
Don't remember her name. She doesn't have a face and the game isn't really a 'puzzle' game, it's more of an adventure game. She should be really popular in R34 circles anyway. Well, maybe not now, it's been a couple years. Jesus, why can't I remember her name...I even remember people complaining about the game years ago too...

nial

Gold Member
Mate, it isn’t Sony’s first party studios that demanded extra censorship for numerous Japanese games that released uncensored on a Nintendo console of all places. That was Sony.
That was Tsuyoshi Kodera's SIE, a Japanese person, funnily enough.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
This has been ongoing since 2016. Tsuyoshi left in 2021. It hasn’t stopped. Try again.
Since 2018, I know *why* you're saying 2016, but nothing really happened until summer of 2018, over 8 months after Kodera was appointed as CEO.
As for the bolded, it has not entirely stopped due to the fact that the guidelines are already established (thanks to the Japanese CEO), but Jim Ryan's SIE has definitely reduced the restrictions over time.
Picking up Stellar Blade would have been literally impossible during Kodera's leadership.
Edit: Faust Faust I accept your concession.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Isn't this being done in the name of ESG or DEI tax breaks in the USA? If so, then obviously any japanese developer just wouldn't partake in such agendas.

I would think that US based developers, Microsoft or Sony, would jump through these kinds of hoops for tax breaks.

Top Bottom