• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Thread

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The Crackdown trailer looked fuckin nice. BTW, has Microsoft put a price on their wireless wheel? I'm assuming $99. Would that be a good guess?

Vormund

CountZeroInt said:
Rastex: Shadowrun is like Tribes in the following ways:

- You can get in intense dog fights from long distances.
- The jumping is very floaty and you can jump very far and long while shooting down on people.
- You have to customize your weapons and gear/spells you want your player to have before the match.
- Lots of sniping. Lots. Headshots are almost instant kills just like Tribes.
- Strategy for capturing flag is necessary, cannot capture without using your head or using teamwork against the other team. In games like UT it's more like "My name is Flex01r and I play this game 23 hours a day, the other 1 hour I'm sleeping but still dreaming about clicking mouse buttons"
- Things like where to place the team's Tree of Life are huge strategic decisions.

Some other magic tidbits for those who are now paying attention:

- Teleportation works in the direction you are MOVING, so you can be running backwards while fending yourself off and teleport into the room BEHIND you. You can jump up towards a wall, teleport, and you will suddenly be on the platform above.
- They haven't shown off some weapons, or characters yet, "Heavy" armor class in Tribes will have a parallel here, no mortars though...
- Did you like Force spells in KOTOR? There are awesome ones available here - let's just say matches might end up with gigantic blood splatters all over the walls.

By the way, I am NOT working on Shadowrun, just fortunate enough to have seen it several times before (it's been in development for a long freaking time now). Perk to living in Redmond is that you can't go to a McDonalds without overhearing someone working at MS or Nintendo talking about some project.

The guys working on this game are very passionate about seeing Shadowrun come back to be a popular franchise. I think they've made the right long term decision and it's enabled the game to stay greenlighted through rough times at MGS, but they are sure getting hammered by the vocal minority on shadowrun.com forums...

Makes me wish they just bought the Tribes licence instead, and make Shadowrun an RPG.

AniHawk

I seriously cannot stop watching that Halo 3 teaser.

I'm not a huge fan (never owned the second- beat and sold the first), but that trailer gets me all giddy. Such GREAT MUSIC YES.

FINISH THE FIGHT.

Fuck awesome.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:

I'm not a huge fan (never owned the second- beat and sold the first), but that trailer gets me all giddy. Such GREAT MUSIC YES.

FINISH THE FIGHT.

Fuck awesome.
Me too. Rousing is the word that comes to mind. I hope they release an MP3 of it.

Aryuken

Banned
AniHawk said:

FINISH THE FIGHT.

Fuck awesome.

Martin O donnel rocks. He was able to real make a music that is sinounimous(?) with the HAlo games. Wich imo is quite hard, few games/movies can come up with memorable soundtracks that get easilly associated with their games/movies everytime someon hears it.

Halo soundtrack rocks.

wasting

Banned
the halo trailer wouldnt be half as good without that music. the ending when the h3 logo and bungie comes up is my favorite part

BuddyC

quadriplegicjon said:
so what going on with too human?

any impressions?

search function doesnt work..

:(
I thought it looked good, though what they're showing are just two small portions of the game. The game has a lot of really cool little touches, but it's just a demo of interactive cutscenes and combat right now, they're not showing off any of the role-playing or story elements.

Aryuken

Banned
Ghost said:
*sigh*

Internet scallywags have neutered his ability to hypebole :'(

nice to see he's upbeat on the whole MS buyout thing though, i was worried he'd jump ship like he did at Bullfrog when EA came in.

Well unlike EA, devs actually like to work under MS.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Holy shit! In that blog post he says the engine can scale geometry and display things out to 13 or 14 miles! That's impressive.
Yeah I just about fell out of my seat when I read that. Marty and some others mentioned in the launch article that the focus of the demo was really on the SCALE of the artifact and surroundings. I took that as a hint that the game is being build with that kind of scale in mind. Frankie specified that the location is actually in the game. I sure how we get to do some serious desert exploration/combat.

I don't want to spend the game driving around in a desert canyon, is what I'm saying. I've been teased with that great expanse, and I want to go sandboxing in it (pun intended). Got that, Stinkles? :)

Oh, and today's One One Seven is spot on:

477.gif

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/stuntmutt.html?type=main&image=477

Mifune

Mehmber
quadriplegicjon said:
so what going on with too human?

any impressions?

search function doesnt work..

:(

IGN and Gamespot both have some new decent hands-on-impressions up. I'll see if I can track 'em down.

Denis Dyack is promising the game will run at 60 FPS. And before anyone laughs, Eternal Darkness ran that smoothly.

My concern is if the game is any fun. It doesn't really look it from the videos floating around.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
just reading the first page... the questions sure aren't good.... or getting any better.
Yeah, the b.net forums are not exactly the best of the bunch. They've done Q&A in the HBO forums before and those tend to be better.

I need to reactivate my account for some reason, or I'd post there. But I'm curious if the pulse fired at the end of the trailer is what causes everything to white-out, or if they are doing a fade to white, much as the trailer startes out bathed in white.

Still can't post my own topic so I'll just post this here.

Huge XBL update coming at the end of May!!

http://adidat.blogspot.com/2006/05/360-dashboard-update-soon.html

"Features include background downloading and having multiple downloads at once.
The user marks a file to download and it will be put in an active queue downloadlist. There are 6 slots reserved in that queue. They will be downloaded sequentially not in parallel! If the Xbox360 sees there is bandwith available it will boost the download speed up. During online sessions the downloads will be paused to garantee no lags. It's also possible to turn off the console, after powering it back on the downloads will resume. When a download finishes the user will get a message that it has been downloaded."

Finally! :D

GhaleonEB

FLUXCapacitor said:
Still can't post my own topic so I'll just post this here.

Huge XBL update coming at the end of May!!

http://adidat.blogspot.com/2006/05/360-dashboard-update-soon.html

"Features include background downloading and having multiple downloads at once.
The user marks a file to download and it will be put in an active queue downloadlist. There are 6 slots reserved in that queue. They will be downloaded sequentially not in parallel! If the Xbox360 sees there is bandwith available it will boost the download speed up. During online sessions the downloads will be paused to garantee no lags. It's also possible to turn off the console, after powering it back on the downloads will resume. When a download finishes the user will get a message that it has been downloaded."

Finally! :D
There was a short thread about it earlier today, but it dropped fast. Blimblim confirmed the update is coming, too. I hope you can download while playing offline games, like Oblivion. I really want to que up some downloads, go play for a while, and come back and have them done.

someone stated earlier that Shadowrun has been in the dev for a long time.

That is incorrect, at least that's what I was told by one of their designers. 13-16 months he stated. Has 8 more months of dev to go.

Top Bottom