• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Thread

Prine

Banned
Daniel-son said:
quick update...

only thing I want to comment on right now is Gears of War. Played it with another GAF forum member, DSExpress... and well he's converted from Nintendo fanboy to Microsoft follower. The chainsaw is nasty. It's the best melee weapon ever.

:D

Prine

Banned
m0dus said:
well there you are.

Stupid XBL subscription problems! I want to downaload all those vids and demos but i cant till MS sort out my subscription! Took my money but i cant access my account!

Oh. Anyone think that putting Halo3 and GTA4 in 2007 is fucking suicide? Remeber what happened last year? I reckon GTA4 sales will eat into HAlo3 sales or vice versa. Not a good move!

hadareud

The Translator
Prine said:
Stupid XBL subscription problems! I want to downaload all those vids and demos but i cant till MS sort out my subscription! Took my money but i cant access my account!

create an US account - you will be able to download everything that way.

m0dus

Banned
Prine said:

Oh. Anyone think that putting Halo3 and GTA4 in 2007 is fucking suicide? Remeber what happened last year? I reckon GTA4 sales will eat into HAlo3 sales or vice versa. Not a good move!

you're assuming they'll come out in the same month :)

wasting

Banned
Daniel-son said:
quick update...

only thing I want to comment on right now is Gears of War. Played it with another GAF forum member, DSExpress... and well he's converted from Nintendo fanboy to Microsoft follower. The chainsaw is nasty. It's the best melee weapon ever.

Sounds so awesome... Can you explain how it works though? Does it lock on to an enemy? Can you choose how long to cut them?

I didn't lock in on any of the opponents I was fighting. With the chainsaw, if they are close enough, it will zoom in for a gruesome animation. But didn't try or see any auto lock-ins. The stop and pop shooting was way better than I thought. I wasn't optimistic until after playing it for myself and the MS conference. It certainly has jumped higher on my want list with playing it and seeing the level of graphics in game.

Oh yeah... DSExpress asks to be unbanned? Oh well, just a thought since he is here wanting to post on the boards.

Prine said:

We already know the date of GTA, my guess is that we can expect Halo in November, a month later. Won't be an issue for me. :)

Prine said:

No way, man. They need to release H3 a few weeks before GTA4 so that they can clean up on that avalanche of sales and even further bite into the people who might just be buying a console for GTA.

OH, and who's camping with me for Gears Of War, baby? This game is going to shock the fucking planet!

Willy Wanka said:
http://www.gearsofwar.com/

The clock on the front page is still counting down. error or maybe a demo to come on marketplace?!? Speculation for the win

I think the MTV special airs in that time frame. But it could be simultaneous with a demo release. God that would be the most amazing thing to close the special on.

"Why not play the game for yourself."

I would shit.

rastex

Banned
about Shadowrun
For those who liked games like Tribes, Phantom Dust, something which is still FPS but out of the ordinary, definitely keep this on your watch list and see how it evolves by January.

Oh... so Shadowrun is going to be similar in approach to my two favourite multiplayer games of all time? YES!!!!

rastex

Banned
Halo 3's release will coincide with the movie. The combined marketing craziness is just too much of an opportunity to pass up.

As for Shadowrun's graphics, I don't really care that much. Sure it's a bonus if it looks ace, but if it's super fun then whatever. Plus, they have 8 months to develop so I expect a large graphics boost, it's really just a matter of assets since they're using proven tech. The thing that makes me really excited is that they've been playing the game, and that it's been fun for so long already. This means constant play balancing, tweaking etc, and is the way that games SHOULD be made. Not the tech tech tech, and then do gameplay last that a lot of companies do and results in bad games.

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
I think Halo will be released in the summer to coincide with the movie release
The Halo move does not have a director or cast and has thus not begun filming yet. Given it will likely be effects-heavy I don't see it landing next year.

Rastex: Shadowrun is like Tribes in the following ways:

- You can get in intense dog fights from long distances.
- The jumping is very floaty and you can jump very far and long while shooting down on people.
- You have to customize your weapons and gear/spells you want your player to have before the match.
- Lots of sniping. Lots. Headshots are almost instant kills just like Tribes.
- Strategy for capturing flag is necessary, cannot capture without using your head or using teamwork against the other team. In games like UT it's more like "My name is Flex01r and I play this game 23 hours a day, the other 1 hour I'm sleeping but still dreaming about clicking mouse buttons"
- Things like where to place the team's Tree of Life are huge strategic decisions.

Some other magic tidbits for those who are now paying attention:

- Teleportation works in the direction you are MOVING, so you can be running backwards while fending yourself off and teleport into the room BEHIND you. You can jump up towards a wall, teleport, and you will suddenly be on the platform above.
- They haven't shown off some weapons, or characters yet, "Heavy" armor class in Tribes will have a parallel here, no mortars though...
- Did you like Force spells in KOTOR? There are awesome ones available here - let's just say matches might end up with gigantic blood splatters all over the walls.

By the way, I am NOT working on Shadowrun, just fortunate enough to have seen it several times before (it's been in development for a long freaking time now). Perk to living in Redmond is that you can't go to a McDonalds without overhearing someone working at MS or Nintendo talking about some project.

The guys working on this game are very passionate about seeing Shadowrun come back to be a popular franchise. I think they've made the right long term decision and it's enabled the game to stay greenlighted through rough times at MGS, but they are sure getting hammered by the vocal minority on shadowrun.com forums...

PhatSaqs

Banned
mass-effect-20060510040235237.jpg

mass-effect-20060510040236831.jpg

Gamespot will have a demo interview tomorrow. Cant wait.

Joe

is there an e3 2006 livewire archive? if there is i cant find it anywhere. ign insider has been useless to me this e3.

Joe said:
is there an e3 2006 livewire archive? if there is i cant find it anywhere. ign insider has been useless to me this e3.

Seriously. This Livewire shit is so unfriendly to my perr wee Mac. Thank got for XBL. These behind the scenes have actually been very damn nice.

C4Lukins

I'm downloading the Moto GP demo right now, has anyone tried it out yet?

And that Mass Effect footage is awesome. Nice to see great animation in those cutscenes. I have no idea why they didn't do a big feature on it at the press conference.

Just saw the Halo 3 trailer. HOLY SHIT! That was nice.

I have to admit the only thing I've played of the franchise is like half an hour of the original in multiplayer(I loved it BTW), but that trailer was really exciting. Hopefully this time around I won't miss this great game.

Top Bottom