• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Thread

Lo-Volt

Vormund said:
Has this been posted yet?

Sounds good. But don't make it sound like I thought that MS sucked, because I don't. I was happy in particular with their Live anywhere strategy and their games lineup looked great. Better than PS3's overall IMO. (Only really interested in MGS4 out of their lineup.)

First, I'd like to say I don't like the idea. But I'm surprised it's that small after seeing the Toshiba unit, but this is basically just the drive, isn't it. The design looks nice and clean, as Microsoft intended with basically every 360-branded device we've seen since E3 2005, so I appreciate the understated qualities of the HD-DVD drive. But it's also awkward with the 360 for some reason; why isn't it stackable atop the 360's middle (which it could be if the HD drive were concave as well)? If I were actually in the market with this thing, I'd have no space to put it. We'll see how bad an idea this really is when the pricing is revealed.

fresquito

Have anyone downloaded the conference from IGN? If so, do you have any problems playing it? I´ve got screwed two times. First I thought it was a download problem (had tio interrupt it to rebbot the comp), but the second time I downloaded it without any interruption, but it got frozen at the very same place (after the Viva Piñata showing).

So, is anyone having the same problem? BTW, I don´t seem to be able to forward it, everytime I try, it reboots to the beginning >_<

Someone help me get through Viva Piñata!

Xenon

K@M said:
Except GTA4 is coming to PS3 ASWELL.

So its MGS4 + FFXIII + GTAIV > Halo 3

Wouldn't that be MGS4+FFXIII then because it cancel the advantage for both?

Playing Oblivion now > Waiting years for any of these games :D

3rdman said:
Yes...because Halo 3 is the ONLY thing worth playing...

Jesus.

I wasn't saying the console was better I was just clearin up the misconception that GTA4 was X360 exclusive and that those 3 games do beat that one game.

Anyways, anyone has a link to download the conference? Preferably torrent.

What happened to Microsoft having a bigger virtual console than Nintendo, and out before the Wii launches? Weren't they touting this a few weeks back? I thought they were going to make an announcement on it at the conference, but not a peep. Rumors were circulating that it might be MAME.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Regarding a price for HD-DVD drive..
Yesterday a price tag of $199 appeard and dissapeard quickly over at Xbox.com. Someones at B3D saw it...

So the price seems to around the 200 figure. I was hoping for 100-150, that would be a sweet spot..

Is Micheal Ironside still doing Sam's voice? I was watching the Microsoft conference, and the voice in the trailer sounded a bit off, could be me though.

/edit: Their conference was awesome though, they really had a shitload of interesting stuff.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Maximilian E. said:
Yesterday a price tag of $199 appeard and dissapeard quickly over at Xbox.com. Someones at B3D saw it...

So the price seems to around the 200 figure. I was hoping for 100-150, that would be a sweet spot..
Yeah. 200 is about 50 too much IMO.

Lo-Volt

Maximilian E. said:

Meh. But whatever, I'm not in the market for either next-generation format in the near future. I buy these things for games and it seems the 360 will have enough to make it worth my while.

Amir0x

Banned
I am finally, tentatively done... feel free to add to this list as long as you follow the format and I'll update it into the post. Apologize for being so late, I was burnt out.

&#9679; Microsoft unveiled a new wireless steering wheel, headset and game receiver. You can check out all the details at the link. (L, I, I, I)

&#9679; Hellboy is announced for Microsoft's 360. I'm not sure what to say, except that a lot of work must be done to get the visuals polished up. I like the comics, so, I hope they do a good job. (I, V)
&#9679; Gamespot has a hands-on report of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on XBL. The emulation isn't perfect yet, but the game includes achievements for things like finishers, giving mercy, executing a fatality and so on. (L)
&#9679; Q Entertainment announced a deal with Microsoft to release Lumines Live!. But the real kicker is that it will have licensed music supplied by Warner, with the example of Madonna being used. The style is crisply transfered to XBL. (L)
&#9679; Although there's not much info, it appears Unreal Tournament 2007 is not just a PS3 game anymore... it's also coming to 360. Not that it should surprise anyone, but it's nice to know! Now just give us keyboard+mouse support and all is forgiven! (L)
&#9679; Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto IV for 360. Developed by Rockstar North, not much is known except it'll be available October 2007 simultaneously for PS3 and 360. The 360 version will have exclusive episodic content over Live. (W, P)
&#9679; Shadowrun! You remember those great Genesis/SNES games? This is in that same universe! But the similarities pretty much end there. It's a FPS now, and the graphics are just a tad rough. IGN has a preview of the game, so check it out. (L, I)
&#9679; 1up has an exclusive first look at actual footage of Splinter Cell: Double Agent on 360. Along with that, you can catch plenty of other details in their nice video interview. (L, V)
&#9679; Microsoft revealed the big gun today... the ultimate from Bungie, Halo 3. Earth has been conquered by the Covenant. Emerging from the rubble was Master Chief, as tall and as strong as ever, while a flash of Cortana appeared on screen, speaking of gods and devils -- about how she knows what lurks in the very soul of the Master Chief. (L, I, V)
&#9679; Viva Pinata, Rare's Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon hybrid shot at a Pokemon-esque franchise, sports some really phenomenal graphics. IGN has hands-on and other media, and if this sort of game is appealing to you definitely check it out. (L, I, V)
&#9679; The video may have been all CG, but it made one thing clear - Forza is back. Forza Motorsport 2 sports tons of new customization features and online play with up to 12 people over XBL. Not only that, there will even be a forcefeedback wheel created by an internal Microsoft team who worked on the sidewinder products. Definitely promising. (L, I, V
&#9679; The hotly anticipated title from Sakaguchi's Mistwalker studio Blue Dragon is definitely coming along. Although not many details are known about the battle system or gameplay itself, IGN has a small preview to check out. (L, I, V)
&#9679; Konami has announced Dance Dance Revolution Universe for the 360. The game will go hand-in-hand with XBL marketplace, where you will be able to download new songs and more. (I, L, V)
&#9679; IGN has hands-on impressions of Hudon's Bomberman Act Zero, which is definitely an interesting twist on the famous franchise. Not necessarily what I'd go with, but it's something. Click the article for more. (L, I, V)
&#9679; Since Microsoft picked up the rights to publish Remedy's Alan Wake, it's going to be exclusive to the 360. And that's a good thing, 'cause this is one game with a lot of very real potential. Check out the latest media. (V)
&#9679; Also shown at the press conference was Crackdown, Real Time Worlds attempt to merge Grand Theft Auto with a bit of superpower. Sounds like Hulk. Check out IGNs preview at the link. (L, I, V)
&#9679; The PC game F.E.A.R. was officially announced for the 360 and shown off at the press conference. Check out more some video and screens. (V, I)
&#9679; Another game shown off at the Microsoft press conference was Fable 2, a follow-up to the extremely popular Xbox/PC original from Lionhead Studios. The video shown was only CG, but it definitely gives you a taste of what's to come. (W, V)
&#9679; THQ's Saint Row was one of the very first 360 titles we ever saw, and it's still on track to come out. IGN has some hands-on impressions and lots of media. (L, I, V)
&#9679; Tecmo -- led by Team Ninja's Tomonobu Itagki -- revealed Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. IGN has some nice video that you can check out. (L, V)
&#9679; Also showcased at the Microsoft conference was a brand new trailer for Mark Rein's apocalyptic epic, Gears of War. If you've never seen this game before, do yourself a favour and check this out. You'll be convinced that next-gen is here. (V)
&#9679; Free Radical announces Haze for the 360. Governments have outsourced military operations to private multinational corporations. As Jake Carpenter, a newly enlisted soldier in the Mantel army, you are seeking fulfillment and thrills by fighting for a good cause. (W, I, I, I)
&#9679; Stranglehold, a continuation of the story from John Woo's influential Hard Boiled movie, is looking very impressive. Experience a world only previously seen in movies as you control incredible gun battles and dramatic slow motion in Tequila Time™. Carve a unique path of massive destruction and use the environment as a weapon against enemies. (V, V, I, I, I)
&#9679; SEGA announces Golden Axe for 360. Golden Axe delivers action-RPG thrills as a small band of Riders embark on an epic adventure to recruit allies, expose the enemy and prevent the annihilation of their breed. Delivering an intense and unique combat experience, players charge into battle on the backs of ferocious beasts or take their chances with the enemy while on foot. (P)

Copying and pasting a bit from
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/706/706623p1.html

"In this version of Earth, every person has dormant "magic DNA" that triggers physiological changes when magic hits its height of power. People transform into elves, dwarves, and trolls (although some may remain human). Each type has different abilities, from absorbing magic to teleporting through walls. Unfortunately, the presentation wasn't very long and the pace was pretty quick, so we hope to get a meatier look when the game appears on the E3 show floor Wednesday. But suffice to say that the differences are not just cosmetic; they are the rough equivalent of character classes, like medics, engineers, grunts, and so forth.

But it's only the Lineage characters who could teleport through walls or glide to a soft landing from a great height, from what we could tell. The Corporation, however, can see through walls, as well as having other abilities that can counter or tactically complement what the Lineage will dish out. There are also no health packs in the game. They didn't say what the Corp could do, but Lineage players can summon a "Tree of Life" that replenishes the health of anyone near it -- including the enemy. The Tree of Life is also a physical object, so once summoned, you can actually use it as cover.

Like Counter-Strike, you upgrade your weaponry with money earned through achieving objectives, and you cannot respawn. Instead, your team will get a limited number of extra lives, and one of your teammates can resurrect you -- unless your body is… beyond salvation. All the available weapons are broken down by things like rate of fire, ideal range, damage, ammunition, and a couple other properties. And the end-of-round stats will detail each player's number of kills, deaths, accuracy, and more."

"While Shadowrun is multiplayer-oriented, and its maps are relatively conventional-looking, the presenter said that this was the first game in the company's 13-year history that the team played constantly, even on weekends sometimes. With a rock-paper-scissors approach to team-based multiplayer, it looks like it may join Quake Wars in multiplayer innovation. We'll have more on this title in the coming weeks."

The magic such as teleportation works so well because you have a recharging meter on the side of the screen, so certain magic or abilities costs more to do and you have to wait a long time for it to recharge. So the strategy will be in figuring out the perfect opportunity to teleport up to a platform for example, then glide down and rain fire on unsuspecting foes.

For those who liked games like Tribes, Phantom Dust, something which is still FPS but out of the ordinary, definitely keep this on your watch list and see how it evolves by January.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The gameplay actually doesnt sound that bad at all. It's just disappointing that 1) they chose to make this game Shadowrun and 2) It doesnt look all that great.

Kuroyume

Banned
The direct feed stuff looks like fun. I'm not too crazy about the detail of the map/level/whatever. It looks kind of dead in there.

Anyone else thinking of grabbing the new wireless mic when it becomes available? I thought the design looked rather cool and if it's of higher quality than the one that comes with the system, I may have to grab it when it's released this fall. Seems kind of cool.

Joe

anyone else surprised there was no xbl update? i was really looking forward to voice chatrooms with more than 1 person, and a redesigned marketplace. :(

raYne

Haven't seen it. Then again, anything is better than the default 360 headset...

I've been using the old Xbox model since launch. The build quality is better and I prefer the wraparound to the other model.

Joe said:
anyone else surprised there was no xbl update? i was really looking forward to voice chatrooms with more than 1 person, and a redesigned marketplace. :(

Not to mention backgroung downloading. Could have really used that last night. :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone else thinking of grabbing the new wireless mic when it becomes available? I thought the design looked rather cool and if it's of higher quality than the one that comes with the system, I may have to grab it when it's released this fall. Seems kind of cool.

I'll be getting the mic and the wheel for sure. Camera? My dong is fine in secret, thanks. And I have more fun making fake faces for my characters anyway.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'll be getting the mic and the wheel for sure. Camera? My dong is fine in secret, thanks. And I have more fun making fake faces for my characters anyway.

Agreed. I have zero interest in the camera as well.

sangreal

Joe said:

Seriously. The XBLM interface is trash. Sony didn't show much, but it looked much better and I hope Microsoft was taking note.

Has Microsoft made any mention of overhauling the Marketplace?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I will buy it day one, regardless of price (I'm expecting $40-50). The standard headset is just so wonky and fragile feeling.

vatstep said:
I will buy it day one, regardless of price (I'm expecting $40-50). The standard headset is just so wonky and fragile feeling.

I was expecting around $30 myself, but you might be right. It looks so much better than then the pack-in headset.

Joe

i think u guys are gonna be in for shock if you think it will be under $50. i'm expecting $70. the logitech wireless headset on xbox1 was $80 for a long time.

i want the headset because i F'ing hate wires :)

HALO 3 teaser reactions:

Definitely more low-key than H2 announcement teaser, which is one of my favorite trailers of all-time.

MC looks badass, everything else could use a little more destruction, though...

The music was something straight outta Lord of the Rings, not along the same lines as the first two's soundtracks...

Ah, well. This will make me buy a 360, nevertheless... :D

bry-bry

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Enchant Arm made the "coming soon" trailer list at the conference. Coming to US/Europe? Does anyone give half a shit?

Edit: Just found Himuro's thread. Somebody cares!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shogmaster said:
:lol :lol I mistook Frankie O for Moby for a second! :lol :lol

I just got to a laptop and saw this. It is the handiwork of a colleague who did it when we left for E3. i AM PLANNING A HORRIBLE REVENGE RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

That said, the fact that you can put a gross skinhead on Vaan's body and it still looks gay, is a shocking indictment of Vann's amazingly weird sexuality.

android

Theoretical Magician
K@M said:
I wasn't saying the console was better I was just clearin up the misconception that GTA4 was X360 exclusive and that those 3 games do beat that one game.

Anyways, anyone has a link to download the conference? Preferably torrent.
Haven't been in this thread since the conference ended but thanks for setting me straight almost 24hrs after everyone knew that it wasn't exclusive.

Joe said:
i think u guys are gonna be in for shock if you think it will be under $50. i'm expecting $70. the logitech wireless headset on xbox1 was $80 for a long time.

i want the headset because i F'ing hate wires :)

Yeah, I'm sure it'll pretty pricey. I want one badly though, hopefully MS doesn't gouge too much with the price of it.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6150222&pid=928234

E3 06: Gears of War Multiplayer Hands-On

We go behind closed doors at Microsoft and find ourselves in the middle of an eight-player team-based game of Gears of War.

By Justin Calvert, GameSpot
Posted May 10, 2006 12:18 pm PT

LOS ANGELES--Earlier today during a visit to Microsoft's sizable Electronic Entertainment Expo booth, we were invited behind closed doors to check out Gears of War. The session kicked off with a brief presentation in which a Microsoft representative explained the game's controls to us as he played through a small portion of a level set in a ruined prison facility. The environment was impressively detailed, and there appeared to be plenty of destructible set pieces in the level, including a large guard tower in the courtyard that toppled to the ground shortly after the demo got underway. We also got to see the main character have a brief conversation with another member of his squad, the upshot of which was that we were given the choice to either accompany him or take a different route through the level.

We didn't get our hands on the single-player game on this occasion, but the time spent watching the game in action and being told about the controls definitely went some way to preparing us for the multiplayer game that followed. Although many of Gears of War's controls are much as you'd expect them to be in a shooter, there are a number of neat mechanics that are worth mentioning. Since Gears of War is a stop-and-pop game rather than a run-and-run, you'll find that moving in and out of cover is really important. This is achieved using the context-sensitive A button, which in addition to moving you in and out of cover, can be used to sprint and perform evasive rolls when you're out in the open. You can lean in and out of cover simply by using the analog stick in conjunction with the left trigger, which is used for targeting.

The only time that you'll see an aiming reticle on your screen in Gears of War is when you're motionless or moving very slowly. The rest of the time, you'll be using your weapons without any targeting aids whatsoever, and regardless of where you point them, you'll find that the accuracy of your projectiles varies wildly. You'll switch between whichever four weapons (including a pistol and grenades) you're carrying using the directional pad, and you'll find that many of them have melee-attack options that you can perform using the B button. For most of the guns that we were using in our multiplayer session, tapping the B button simply saw us hitting enemies around the head with them, but one of the rifles that was in our arsenal as soon as the game got underway came equipped with a chainsaw bayonet, which was used by holding down the B button. Unsurprisingly, the chainsaw bayonet was the weapon that afforded us the most opportunities to check out Gears of War's blood effects, which are over-the-top in a way that makes every kill feel very satisfying without ever looking gratuitous.

During our session, we got to play in team-based games supporting a total of eight players. The gameplay mode, which we don't know the name of at this point, pitted a squad of four COG soldiers against four Locust players in what was essentially a last-man-standing contest. Our games took place in a small urban map that included a handful of buildings to move through and a street littered with vehicular remains--giving us plenty of places to move in and out of cover. The A button performed its various functions with aplomb during our matches, and we found that we were not only able to move in and out of cover but also move between areas of cover while performing evasive rolls and such, all in one action. The games were fast-paced and there was plenty of blood spilled, but they definitely had a very tactical feel about them, and we found that we were most successful when we worked alongside squadmates, with one of us laying down a suppressing fire while the other moved around to flank the enemies in question.

The gameplay was fast-paced and intense enough to the point that we completely forgot to check out the reloading mechanic that we were shown during the single-player presentation earlier. You only need to hit one button (the right shoulder) to reload your weapon, but when you do so, you'll notice that a small line moves across it that Microsoft compared to a swingometer in a golf game. The idea is that if you stop the line at exactly the right place by hitting the reload button again, you can reload your gun faster and, if you time your second press perfectly, you'll get a damage bonus on your next dozen or so rounds. Get the second button press horribly wrong, though, and you'll take longer to reload than you would normally, so it's a real risk-versus-reward situation.

We wish we could tell you that we were the last man standing in all three of the matches that we played, but we'd be lying. It's fortunate that we died a couple of times, though, because it gave us an opportunity to check out the game's health bar substitute, which is essentially a red cog logo that appears in the middle of the screen when you're close to death--the things we do for you, honestly. The first couple of times we killed enemy players, we noticed that they were taking a long time to go down and stay down, but it was only when we found ourselves on the receiving end that we understood why that was. As we already mentioned, a red cog appears in the middle of the screen when you're close to death, and one or two hits later you'll find yourself slumped on the ground and unable to move. At this point, enemy players will need to pop a few more rounds and finish you off, but your colleagues will have an opportunity to come and rescue you--which we didn't experience once during our time with the game.

Our time with Gears of War came to an end far more quickly than we'd have liked, but the 20 minutes or so that we spent with the game were more than enough to get us even more excited about it than we were already. The almost uncomfortably close third-person cam that shudders quite violently when you move will take some getting used to, but it adds to the sense of urgency in the game and makes it even more difficult for you to shoot while moving, which is obviously an intentional feature of the game's design. Gears of War is undoubtedly one of the most exciting games that we've seen during the first few hours of this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, and we look forward to bringing you more information on the game soon.

Joe

i have both, neither are the real show. the press briefing video is a highlights reel of the conference with a couple video montages in there. its still kind of cool, just to see it in high definition. ( i never thought i'd be seeing peter moore in HD).

quick update...

only thing I want to comment on right now is Gears of War. Played it with another GAF forum member, DSExpress... and well he's converted from Nintendo fanboy to Microsoft follower. The chainsaw is nasty. It's the best melee weapon ever.

Daniel-son said:
quick update...

only thing I want to comment on right now is Gears of War. Played it with another GAF forum member, DSExpress... and well he's converted from Nintendo fanboy to Microsoft follower. The chainsaw is nasty. It's the best melee weapon ever.

360Express NICK CHANGE! ;)

oldboy1

Banned
Are there any vids for the following games:

# The Club -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3

# Tony Hawk's Project 8 -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3

#Haze -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3

#Rainbow Six: Vegas -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3

#Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway -- Only playable on Xbox 360 and PC at E3

I know BIA is already up on XBLM.

Top Bottom