• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Engineers Helping Get Baldur's Gate 3 Split-Screen Working on Xbox Series S

Musilla

The truth has to do with Larian’s ongoing struggle to get Baldur’s Gate 3’s two-player split-screen co-op running well enough on the Xbox Series S, and a Microsoft policy that enforces gameplay feature parity across Xbox Series X and S. This means Larian cannot release Baldur’s Gate 3 on any Xbox Series console until it’s optimised split-screen co-op on the S to the point it hits the quality bar it needs to satisfy players.

The situation with Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox Series X and S highlights a looming problem heading towards Microsoft. As more and more developers look to make the most of the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, will having to release a version of their multiplatform games on the less powerful S hold them back? Or, in drastic cases such as Larian’s, hold Xbox versions back altogether?

FE5-PjrWYAga6W8.jpg

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
3 points from the article seems relevant: the game should be out on Xbox this year, but this is not a certainty. Xbox is helping a lot, but they did not say it, it is coming from Larian. And they are not the only ones suffering from the S lack of memory. Hard situation for them to be honest. If it was a bigger studio they would have abandonned the slit screen feature and say some bullshit excuse. So good point for them at least. Shame for the Xbox players that would have wanted to play it.

Tsaki

Seems like playstation might get another exclusive.
Well it will be a launch exclusive. With or without MS's help, they would eventually release it in that platform too. It's just that now the date can be sooner than it originally would be.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This, along with the PS5 version also getting delayed is...chef's kiss. Unless PC money hatted the PC release... 🤔

So much drama when it was obvious what the issue was when they mentioned the split screen issue months ago.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Larian was on the list of M&A targets for MS and they can’t even get their games working on their consoles :messenger_tears_of_joy: sounds like they possibly asked if they could skip the S altogether?

IGN spoke to Larian boss Swen Vincke to discuss the situation. Understandably, he was at pains to avoid criticising Microsoft, and declined to comment when asked if he had requested a policy exemption (IGN understands at this stage in the Xbox Series lifecycle, Microsoft is sticking to its guns despite growing calls from the development community for the company to ditch its Series S launch requirements).

Last edited:

Nydius

As more and more developers look to make the most of the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, will having to release a version of their multiplatform games on the less powerful S hold them back? Or, in drastic cases such as Larian’s, hold Xbox versions back altogether?

Gee, IGN, it’s almost like those of us with common sense and critical thinking skills saw this coming two and a half years ago. You can’t just release a console with significantly less power and try to say it’s “the same” just because it has the same CPU. And then to dictate feature parity on developers? Lunacy.

As games began ditching cross-gen, this issue was inevitable. While devs can just keep pushing PS5 up to its maximum abilities, the Series X is held back by this feature parity clause.

All the people who kept arguing that the Series S wouldn’t be a problem and would just be “scalable like PCs” need a big fat plate of humble pie. This is going to be the first example of many.

JTCx

Gee, IGN, it’s almost like those of us with common sense and critical thinking skills saw this coming two and a half years ago. You can’t just release a console with significantly less power and try to say it’s “the same” just because it has the same CPU. And then to dictate feature parity on developers? Lunacy.

As games began ditching cross-gen, this issue was inevitable. While devs can just keep pushing PS5 up to its maximum abilities, the Series X is held back by this feature parity clause.

All the people who kept arguing that the Series S wouldn’t be a problem and would just be “scalable like PCs” need a big fat plate of humble pie. This is going to be the first example of many.
The usual suspects also claimed the series S will outperform the ps5.

More devs should do this ‘hmm, I dint think we can get this running on your console, you better send out your engineers to optimise it and finish the job’

ZehDon

Gold Member
I remember when Destiny was going to launch sub-1080p on Xbox One, because of the weaker hardware and eSRAM configuration. Then Microsoft's engineers stepped in and actually got it running at 1080p. If they're forcing feature parity, I'd like to hope the 30% fee they charge on their platform buys developers technical support from these engineers to help achieve that when they're in a pickle.

If this is true then what the fuck are we doing, any of us, even having an Xbox?

If they're going to screw over the people who paid for their premium console simply because of some arbitrary misguided business decision, then MS is truly awful and doesn't deserve a dime of our hard earned money.

This really pisses me off if true and it's looking more and more likely to be true.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
i would hazard a guess that the average baldurs gate player doesnt have any friends to play split screen with anyway
Dude speak for yourself, I have plenty of friends just lining up for the 170 hours of cinematics and 6x the dialog of the LotR trilogy. It’s the ultimate couch co-op experience.

killatopak

to the game developers out there: what is the issue with split screen?
The issue seems to stem from RAM so I guess because you can’t go too far away from someone. Different location means different textures, data etc needs to be loaded to the RAM leading to higher RAM usage which the Series S with less amounts of it becoming a problem.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Balders Gate 3 has performance issues on many newer PC. It also runs well on other ten year old PC. The divinity games had similar performance quirks. I think this is a Larian issue more than a series S issue.
How many of those are split screen coop?

Top Bottom