• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Performance Review Series X vs Series S | IGN feat. NXGamer

Great Hair

Banned
Not bad, but oh boy that Series S is rough :p
btMInxE.png

Last edited:

elliot5

Not sure why you are posting this in here Bryank. Besides the guy says he wanted an arcade game, which this isnt.
Not sure what one persons opinion of a game has to do with another persons opinion of a game anyway.
i had to put that dude on ignore because his posts are literally awful in every thread. It's quite impressive tbh.

I watched that clip he posted because I was curious what he responded with and it just boggles my mind how the guy in the video is like "I was expecting an arcade game" in a SIMULATOR (even though with all the assists on it basically is an arcade flight game). Then he's like "I wanted to fly a different plane instead of the Cessna and then all of the sudden it wants to nickel and dime me with the paid marketplace stuff? I thought this was on game pass?"

The fuck? There's like 30 aircraft you can choose from in the standard edition. People can add planes they modeled and crafted for a premium to the marketplace, sure. It's like that for a lot of simulators like those train simulators on Steam. There's plenty to choose from still for a casual looking for that """""arcade""""" play. Horrible take.

Bryank75

Banned
The game is called Microsoft FLIGHT SIMULATOR and this cuck is complaining about warning alerts and complicated controls. Some of the dumbest critique I've heard about a game all year. 265K subscribers lmao

Well yeah, they were dumb points but I think he had a point on the amount of MTX's.....

Also found the fact he wasn't too impressed by the visuals interesting considering the very positive reactions here. Especially from VFXVeeteran

Bryank75

Banned
i had to put that dude on ignore because his posts are literally awful in every thread. It's quite impressive tbh.

I watched that clip he posted because I was curious what he responded with and it just boggles my mind how the guy in the video is like "I was expecting an arcade game" in a SIMULATOR (even though with all the assists on it basically is an arcade flight game). Then he's like "I wanted to fly a different plane instead of the Cessna and then all of the sudden it wants to nickel and dime me with the paid marketplace stuff? I thought this was on game pass?"

The fuck? There's like 30 aircraft you can choose from in the standard edition. People can add planes they modeled and crafted for a premium to the marketplace, sure. It's like that for a lot of simulators like those train simulators on Steam. There's plenty to choose from still for a casual looking for that """""arcade""""" play. Horrible take.
You don't like my 'Jim Ryan is shit because....' threads?

Am sad.

Fredrik

Look what HappyConsoleGamer has to say about it.... (7.30)
No thanks, probably the same click baiting as the guy who gave Ratchet & Clank 2/10.

Since you’re in the thread, watch NX’s video instead and listen to what he says. All hype as the conclusion. Well deserved. It really is an amazing game.

Or look at this if you’re sceptic, 100% positive reviews:

O0w4b5I.jpg

I know you don’t like PC gaming so you should buy a XSX and get a cheap Gamepass sub so you can make up your own opinion about the game. (would make you less grumpy too, promise)

It really is a colossal achievement to get a PC game like this to this state on a console. Hats off to the dev team! 🎩

SirTerry-T

Maybe he should sell some of his retro collection to help pay for it....

Bryank75

Banned
No thanks, probably the same click baiting as the guy who gave Ratchet & Clank 2/10.

Since you’re in the thread, watch NX’s video instead and listen to what he says. All hype as the conclusion. Well deserved. It really is an amazing game.

Or look at this if you’re sceptic, 100% positive reviews:

O0w4b5I.jpg

I know you don’t like PC gaming so you should buy a XSX and get a cheap Gamepass sub so you can make up your own opinion about the game. (would make you less grumpy too, promise)

It really is a colossal achievement to get a PC game like this to this state on a console. Hats off to the dev team! 🎩
You never know...if Jim and Hermen keep going the way they are I just might get one or the other.

I just came in to have a bit of banter with you gents..... hope you're all doing well.

I'm heading out for a few hours, have a great day!

Oof, seems like the first substantial disadvantage for Series S.

They went with 1080p resolution and lower settings on series s natively.

Series x is 1440p.

With same settings, series s lands at 720p.

So it's consistent with what's been seen so far. Quarter of resolution with same settings or half resolution with lower settings.

My guess is they did this to make series s more playable even on 4k screens.

elliot5

They went with 1080p resolution and lower settings on series s natively.

Series x is 1440p.

With same settings, series s lands at 720p.

So it's consistent with what's been seen so far. Quarter of resolution with same settings or half resolution with lower settings.

My guess is they did this to make series s more playable even on 4k screens.
its more of picking and choosing what offers the best experience. They valued things like cloud detail over some other areas like shadows for Series S.

The LODs and such are a RAM constraint, not a GPU thing. Lowering to 720p wouldn't help much with that regard. 720p also wouldn't provide enough pixel info for the TAA hence why native 1080p was a better move vs the upscaled version.

Fredrik

You never know...if Jim and Hermen keep going the way they are I just might get one or the other.

I just came in to have a bit of banter with you gents..... hope you're all doing well.

I'm heading out for a few hours, have a great day!
Thanks and same to you! 👍
Good thinking, for me it has been worth it to have both platforms, more games to choose from and I don’t have to get weirdly annoyed at good exclusivies on the wrong platform or timed exclusivity deals etc. I’ve been alternating between The Ascent (surprisingly awesome), MS Flight Sim and Ratchet & Clank lately, my three top games of the year so far. Good times!

Calverz

Well yeah, they were dumb points but I think he had a point on the amount of MTX's.....

Also found the fact he wasn't too impressed by the visuals interesting considering the very positive reactions here. Especially from VFXVeeteran
Lmao I saw this video. He doesn’t know what he is talking about. You can change planes without having to pay money.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like how he says « this is for people who like flight simulators » as if it’s some Nobel Prize level discovery, well no shit it’s called Flight Simulator and you fly planes in it, are you gonna tell me that FIFA is for people who like football too?
It's a fair statement considering the console warring over this title. That Ratchet & Clank thread saying it was the best looking next gen game after this released was just a shitshow.

In my opinion flight simulator is simultaneously the most beautiful game and most boring game on Xbox consoles right now. if it had some dogfights or something maybe it would be fun. But seriously, it's about as exciting as looking out of your commercial flight window seat view flying over pretty much anything. Who cares if there are frame dips? You can't see them because you're not doing anything but watching the background scroll beneath your plane or watching gauges in your cockpit.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I think it's not really appropriate to call it "MTX" when it's not even supplied by MS and it's 3rd party devs. It's like saying that phones sucks, because you can waste a ton of money on apps on App store...

Mr Moose

This game would excel in VR, though I would probably hate it because I am scared of heights, also 9+ hour flights :messenger_weary: Gimme Train Simulator PS5 VR instead.
Some pop-in here and there, not a fan of SSR when flying over water (I'm hating that shit in Like a Dragon) but overall looks really nice.

Fredrik

It is. And you should be fine. I have a Ryzen 9 5900 and a 3070 with settings on high. Ultra gets a bit choppy, but high is fine for me.
I need to give it a go! I heard there was a performance patch recently that dramatically improved the fps on PC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Look what HappyConsoleGamer has to say about it.... (7.30)

Doesn't sound like a good time to me.

the game looks like shit when you get close to stuff.
happyconsolegamer is such an honest guy

also the vegas strip is not lit at night on consoles..
on pc it is weirdly enough

Last edited:
btMInxE.png

Baby Mirror GIF
sad black and white GIF

... looks like you two do not frequent any PS topic, thread then. ;)
The Xbox Series S is like
oclofmV.png

I can buy that on a minimum wage job here in the UK in 1 week of work.

The fact that you can’t comprehend a cheap box made for value, not power is not up to par with a Series X or PS5 just shows how really dumb and immature you guys are.

It’s like you like to make up false arguments to make yourself feel better? I’d be surprised if people with your thinking capacity even has a job.

Fredrik

This game would excel in VR, though I would probably hate it because I am scared of heights, also 9+ hour flights :messenger_weary: Gimme Train Simulator PS5 VR instead.
Some pop-in here and there, not a fan of SSR when flying over water (I'm hating that shit in Like a Dragon) but overall looks really nice.
Lol this will go dramatically off topic but I felt a height related knot in the stomach from Skyrim VR of all games last night 😅
Time to see how it goes in Flight Sim, installing now! 👍

oclofmV.png

The fact that you can’t comprehend a cheap box made for value, not power is not up to par with a Series X or PS5 just shows how really dumb and immature you guys are.

It’s like you like to make up false arguments to make yourself feel better? I’d be surprised if people with your thinking capacity even has a job.

6b481b17fccd0db982610ee79a99ea8d39e117e7.gif

Remember to take your meds everyone.

Mr Moose

oclofmV.png

DarkMage's UK brother :messenger_heart:

Just playing :messenger_beaming: It's fine for what it is and for the price, I mean even the Switch costs more and that's much, much weaker. Perfect if you've got a 1080p screen and a kid that doesn't give a shit about resolution and stuff.
the game looks like shit when you get close to stuff.
happyconsolegamer is such an honest guy

also the vegas strip is not lit at night on consoles..
on pc it is weirdly enough
If you get too close to things while flying, you're going to have a bad day.
(Does it have crash physics and stuff?).

He's making an observation, and it's not a false argument.

Fredrik

Unfortunately, just barely, it basically says you crashed if you go down bad enough, if you go down without slamming down too hard you can blast around on the ground. I know it’s not meant to be Burnout but this is an area they need to update imo. I get too reckless if I don’t see a sea of flames and wings flying through cars and buildings etc… Maybe it comes with the Top Gun expansion. I’m expecting missiles then!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Am finding the game incredibly serene. Can recommend it as an exercise in mindfulness. Can also recommend it in VR. It's wonderful.

Me too, the game is so Zen and calming. I figured I'd play for about an hour, find my apartment and then move on but I have like 20 hours in the game and I'd have a lot more if The Ascent hadn't dropped. I'm currently addicted to The Ascent but I'm close to the end of the game and soon will again be answering the call of the skies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
DarkMage's UK brother :messenger_heart:

Just playing :messenger_beaming: It's fine for what it is and for the price, I mean even the Switch costs more and that's much, much weaker. Perfect if you've got a 1080p screen and a kid that doesn't give a shit about resolution and stuff.

nope

btMInxE.png

Baby Mirror GIF
sad black and white GIF

... looks like you two do not frequent any PS topic, thread then. ;)
So you'd acknowledge that you are just trying to get revenge over making any sort of substantive argument. The XSS performance is fantastic for a $300 device.

What do you mean? Its exactly the same just running at a lower resolution?

/s
Please point out when anyone MS or otherwise said the ONLY difference between the XSS and XSX would be resolution. Why be disingenuous over the value console?

Literally thought this was a joke until started watching the video.

Wow, the difference is insane.
Is it? You mean to tell me that paying $200 less for a device results in reduced graphical detail? I too am shocked! Wow!

The XSS will always have disadvantages when it comes to graphics. News flash that is by design. It's $300. Show me a $300 PC running this game and we can talk about disadvantages.

Top Bottom