• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Performance Review Series X vs Series S | IGN feat. NXGamer

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think I made a mistake creating this thread...
It's a matter of honesty. Doesnt matter who is lying. If you lie about anything, people will hold you accountable for it. That's why Sony has been getting so much flack lately and why MS deserves some a little bit of criticism too. Everyone here knew that series S wouldnt be able to offer the same experience without downgrades, let alone at 1440p, but if you cant take the word of the lead architect then what the hell can you do.

What I have come to realize is that this gen all three console makers want their cake and eat it too. Nintendo wants to sell a console, but also have it be a handheld holding back an entire generation of games. MS wants to be the biggest most powerful in town, but also have the cheapest console. Sony wants to sell next gen games, but doesnt want to miss out on the PS4 userbase.

The funny thing is that they have all had huge success despite all the misleading statements and holding back developers, so at the very least, some harsh criticism on message boards is not really the end of the world. They are raking in cash. They can handle some criticism they will never see.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's a matter of honesty. Doesnt matter who is lying. If you lie about anything, people will hold you accountable for it. That's why Sony has been getting so much flack lately and why MS deserves some a little bit of criticism too. Everyone here knew that series S wouldnt be able to offer the same experience without downgrades, let alone at 1440p, but if you cant take the word of the lead architect then what the hell can you do.

What I have come to realize is that this gen all three console makers want their cake and eat it too. Nintendo wants to sell a console, but also have it be a handheld holding back an entire generation of games. MS wants to be the biggest most powerful in town, but also have the cheapest console. Sony wants to sell next gen games, but doesnt want to miss out on the PS4 userbase.

The funny thing is that they have all had huge success despite all the misleading statements and holding back developers, so at the very least, some harsh criticism on message boards is not really the end of the world. They are raking in cash. They can handle some criticism they will never see.
I don't really think MS is going to look at my thread. I am too not much happy about Series S, however all things considered, it's probably good enough for target audience.

Think is that, I really like the game and love flying (in the real life and I mean that flying by myself), so instead of people discussing planes, game and shit, it turns into Series S sucks we know that, I think at this point would be fair enough to create a thread, when people could post their concern about XSS.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't really think MS is going to look at my thread. I am too not much happy about Series S, however all things considered, it's probably good enough for target audience.

Think is that, I really like the game and love flying (in the real life and I mean that flying by myself), so instead of people discussing planes, game and shit, it turns into Series S sucks we know that, I think at this point would be fair enough to create a thread, when people could post their concern about XSS.
There is an OT for that though. This is a tech comparison thread.

What makes you think everyone who has the console likes it?

Members here, that do have the console, have expressed buyers remorse.

They had to correct the resolution targets? With that fact alone how can it possible have been 'plenty clear'?

Some members in the reveal thread, understood it to mean just lower resolution, exact same experience.

But that isn't remotely the case.

Well, if it was technically capable of being included it would have been.

But I think you're implying the developers have been lazy again. Which wouldn't be the case.
What members here have the console and expressed buyers remorse? You? There are countless videos on YouTube of actual owners of the console who appreciate it for what it is, a $300 device that plays all current generation games. It also has more 120fps games than more expensive consoles and is a fantastic emulation device too. The best value in gaming right now.

Also what resolution targets had to be adjusted? There again are plenty of games that run at 1440p, 1080p and all sorts of other dynamic resolutions. Unless you are saying that all games have to run at 1440p which MS didn't say I don't see the issue. THE DUCK THE DUCK has asked the question over and over again and of course you didn't address it. The PS5 and XSX advertise 4K and tons of games on those systems don't hit that resolution. Why aren't you up in arms about that? Those systems are MORE expensive yet they get a pass(well PS5 does) how strange.

If anyone serious believed that the XSS would ONLY have a lower resolution and everything else would be the same then that is on the person because MS never said such a thing. There was no conceivable way for MS to control what every third party does. If you do look at MS though their games tend to run at 1440p and have 120fps modes. You of course are silent on that and point to some 3rd party port as evidence of some sort of conspiracy. This very game isn't 4K on XSX it's 1440p. I suppose we should complain to the BBB that MS has committed false advertising right. 🙄

As far as what the XSS is technically capable of we've SEEN the evidence. There are games on the XSS RIGHT NOW that have raytracing, 120fps modes, and run at 1440p. Why are those facts NOT proof of what the console is capable of yet some random game not doing those things is a problem. No one can promise all games running on their platform would all run at the same settings. Why would that be the expectation on the budget console? It looks to me like you have some sort of weird agenda. You must be calling those developers inept because you keep complaining about things certain developers are not doing when MS seems to be able to do these things regularly on the XSS. You should be more understanding. Game development is hard. Unless you can do better you should back off.

Perhaps it's just time to accept that XSS is an outstanding value and if you don't like your XSS you can sell it to someone who is realistic and will appreciate it for what it is, the best value in gaming.

dcmk7

Banned
What members here have the console and expressed buyers remorse

Post in thread 'Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-xsx-ot-console-tech-thread.1480978/post-262592009

There are games on the XSS RIGHT NOW that have raytracing, 120fps modes, and run at 1440p.
There are first party games which are without some of these modes.

Something which really shouldn't happen. Considering they claimed it would be same experience. Missing some fundamental game modes.. doesn't seem the same experience to me.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Post in thread 'Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-xsx-ot-console-tech-thread.1480978/post-262592009

Something which really shouldn't happen. Considering they claimed it would be same experience. Missing some fundamental game modes.. doesn't seem the same experience to me.

So? There are some ps5 and series x games without rt or run at lower than 4k. It's not crippled to the point the game is fundamentally ruined. You can even turn off rt or run at a higher frame rate in favor of performance in many games which shows you the games can clearly be enjoyed at a high level with or without.

Also the 3 people that didn't like the series s are seriously outnumbered by the many, many people who are very happy with it.

There are plenty of threads with people happy with the XSS and its performance. Also there are first party games on PS5 and XSX that aren't running in 4K. I await your thread complaining about their poor performance. It is clearly something you are losing sleep over.

recursive

The Xbox Series S is like

oclofmV.png

I can buy that on a minimum wage job here in the UK in 1 week of work.

The fact that you can’t comprehend a cheap box made for value, not power is not up to par with a Series X or PS5 just shows how really dumb and immature you guys are.

It’s like you like to make up false arguments to make yourself feel better? I’d be surprised if people with your thinking capacity even has a job.
Work another 3 days and get a ps5 digital instead then. Better value for the money than xss.

Last edited:
Who needs adverts when they've got you?
It's a good thing you are here to be the oppo and show the evils of MS to balance things out. Can't have too much positivity. It's always funny that the truth is considered an ad.

Zero value if you want xbox games. Or gamepass.

That said I'm a big believer of owning both xbox and sony, the best of both worlds.
That and if you are on a budget for the same price as the PS5 DE you can get a XSS and Flight Simulator. The game this thread is about. As far as I know it's not on PS5 so it's hard to argue its a better value especially if you want to play this game.

I hope they do eventually try and add some sort of missions, could be interesting.

I have made it a mission to check out Mt Shivaling and Bhagirathi Peaks near Gangotri glacier in Indian Himalayas. I have trekked there and would be cool to check topography from a plane.

Also Mt Matterhorn in Swiss Alps.

These are some of the prettiest peaks in the world.

THE DUCK

I have made it a mission to check out Mt Shivaling and Bhagirathi Peaks near Gangotri glacier in Indian Himalayas. I have trekked there and would be cool to check topography from a plane.

Also Mt Matterhorn in Swiss Alps.

These are some of the prettiest peaks in the world.

It's definately pretty sweet to be able to visit places in the world you have been to personally.

GHG

It's a good thing you are here to be the oppo and show the evils of MS to balance things out. Can't have too much positivity. It's always funny that the truth is considered an ad.

Yes here I am, your nemesis, the harbinger of doom, feel my wrath.

amazon fly GIF

And yet no, I've not said anything negative nor have I ever said anything negative about flight sim since it's been one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. But that's just it isn't it? It's evident that you're not here to talk about games or even to enjoy yourself, too busy propping up hardware (in particular the Series S) and services in every single post. The game came out on console on the 27th and I've not seen one post from you talking about your experience with the game. Sad.

dcmk7

Banned
Also there are first party games on PS5 and XSX that aren't running in 4K
I haven't found any console game yet for XSX or PS5 which has a mode missing because of a technical limitation yet tbh.

Same can't be said for XSS. So it's not the same experience like MS has marketed is it? How can a game with missing modes be the same? Why have you and others decided to give MS a pass on this.

As for 4k on PS5 and XSX. I don't like the fact they can drop below sub HD. You can find quite a few posts from me about that. But they don't drop to a 1/4 of HD, which is a awful number of pixels for 2021 gaming.

There are plenty of threads with people happy with the XSS and its performance
At least you've admitted that not everyone is happy like you've claimed.

Riky

$MSFT

That and if you are on a budget for the same price as the PS5 DE you can get a XSS and Flight Simulator. The game this thread is about. As far as I know it's not on PS5 so it's hard to argue its a better value especially if you want to play this game.

He says in this very video the S "blows him away with the quality of the visuals"

Only the concern trolls can turn this into a bad thing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gave it a spin. I liked flying around my house. They need more high detailed curated experiences though. Like Disney World. It loses just enough detail to make finding specific rides a little tough. I'd pay a bit for a hot air Balloon that would let me drift over famous landmarks.

twilo99

the series s is great value, no matter how you spin it.

I'm sure we will see them dip bellow $200 this holiday season.

Javthusiast

Banned
I gave it a spin. I liked flying around my house. They need more high detailed curated experiences though. Like Disney World. It loses just enough detail to make finding specific rides a little tough. I'd pay a bit for a hot air Balloon that would let me drift over famous landmarks.

Well they are working on helicopters, so we will hopefully soon get the fly at your own pace option.

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you have any evidence that the XSS isn't capable or running current gen games?
Well shit Switch runs a version of Witcher 3.

I don't in anyway consider it the same experience as playing on PC 4K/maxed/60+ fps.

Certain current gen games on xss are either missing effects,running lower details and not running as high of a fps.

But...Not in all cases does it come short this is true.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The Series S is doing a fantastic job handling this game, there are caveats, of course there are but to suggest it's not punching above its weight with a title as demanding as MSFS2020 is just being disingenuous for the sake of it.
If MS offer this machine in a bundle with MSFS of some sort I think it will shift some substantial units around the Christmas/Holiday season.
I'm not a businessman however, so I could just be talking shite.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This game would excel in VR, though I would probably hate it because I am scared of heights, also 9+ hour flights :messenger_weary: Gimme Train Simulator PS5 VR instead.

It's great.

I took off from Gatwick and just pottered about in the sky for a while over London, then headed out over the English channel. Did it for about an hour and it felt like I'd spent sixty minutes meditating. Being so immersed in the cabin really adds to the experience a huge amount.

If you can run this game in VR, I strongly advice you do so. It's a phenomenally appealing experience.

Only problem is I now want to learn to fly a real plane, and that shit ain't cheap.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's great.

I took off from Gatwick and just pottered about in the sky for a while over London, then headed out over the English channel. Did it for about an hour and it felt like I'd spent sixty minutes meditating. Being so immersed in the cabin really adds to the experience a huge amount.

If you can run this game in VR, I strongly advice you do so. It's a phenomenally appealing experience.

Only problem is I now want to learn to fly a real plane, and that shit ain't cheap.

I have both family and friends that went through and got a PPL. Their interest faded a while after when they started realizing that there's a lot of shit to maintain and deal with after you get the PPL, especially if you don't have your own aircraft. None of them still have their PPL, lol. With that said, the journey through getting the license may well be worth the experience in itself.

Last edited:

John Wick

Yet there were people stating that the XSS will outsell the XSX. Lmfao! Those people going to be in shock. With 4K tv's and 55"+ being the norm the XSS just isn't going to cut it.

M1chl

amazon fly GIF

And yet no, I've not said anything negative nor have I ever said anything negative about flight sim since it's been one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. But that's just it isn't it? It's evident that you're not here to talk about games or even to enjoy yourself, too busy propping up hardware (in particular the Series S) and services in every single post. The game came out on console on the 27th and I've not seen one post from you talking about your experience with the game. Sad.
Best post here.

It's great.

Not sure if I am speaking with someone who also owns PPL, however one day with Cessna 152, cost me around 100k CZK (~3200USD), with borrowing the plane and fuel and tax for the airport. It's 10 hours of flying and 5 hours of fucking around. And people saying that gaming is an expensive hobby.

Also one time I borrowed Cessna 210 nad blowed 9k USD over the weekend. But the feels man, the feels.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not sure if I am speaking with someone who also owns PPL, however one day with Cessna 152, cost me around 100k CZK (~3200USD), with borrowing the plane and fuel and tax for the airport. It's 10 hours of flying and 5 hours of fucking around. And people saying that gaming is an expensive hobby.

I've looked into getting my PPL (or even just the LAPL that'd probably do me), and yeah... about 5k for the licence alone. Yikes

M1chl

I've looked into getting my PPL (or even just the LAPL that'd probably do me), and yeah... about 5k for the licence alone. Yikes
Well be prepared, that money is a least of the challenge, PPL exams are like doing semester in UNI. Not sure what are you going to do with LAPL, if you don't aim to do flying as a job.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Whenever I want to go fly I just call the local air club and go flying with someone. There are actually plenty of people who needs the hours to keep their license, and if I propose to share the gas usually theres always someone who's happy for the company. Been doing it for years, although not very frequently.

Last edited:

M1chl

A tip for everyone: I never bothered with a PPL. But whenever I want to go fly I just call the local air club and go flying with someone with a license. There are actually plenty of people who needs the hours to keep their license, and if I propose to share the gas usually theres always someone who's happy for the company. Been doing it for years, although not very frequently. Usually we do touch and gos at local airports, very nice experiences to be had. And interestingly I've been handed the controls every time.. but that's not something that anyone can promise in beforehand of course, and of course not for landings..
But it's the best feeling when you butter a landing, well worth the PPL.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if the series S will still be getting attacked two to 3 years from now. This thing gets bullied to funk.

NinjaBoiX

I must be honest that I think I had unrealistic expectations of what the Series S could achieve, but as someone just wanting to see the sights and not that interested with the simulation model, I tried it and was kind of unimpressed to be honest.

I’m sure it looks fantastic on a XSX, but it is just a load of fairly nondescript cubes in the main on my S.

I appreciate that I’m not seeing it in it’s best light to be fair. But yeah, as much as I set myself up for it I’m disappointed.
I hope the gutsy little fucker is still around putting the noses of the big boys out of joint....and this is coming from a Series X owner.
I’m thoroughly impressed with my little white box otherwise, just to be clear.

This software is just clearly beyond it’s capabilities.

Last edited:

amazon fly GIF

I will continue to push back against people who have don't own and have no idea what they are talking about with regards to XSS. People that make themselves feel better by spreading lies are pretty sad folks indeed. Sorry that positive talk offends you.

I enjoy Flight Simulator quite a bit it runs fantastically on both the XSS and XSX. I do wish it uses less data. How was your experience playing the game on Xbox sir?

Md Ray

I will continue to push back against people who have don't own and have no idea what they are talking about with regards to XSS. People that make themselves feel better by spreading lies are pretty sad folks indeed. Sorry that positive talk offends you.

I enjoy Flight Simulator quite a bit it runs fantastically on both the XSS and XSX. I do wish it uses less data. How was your experience playing the game on Xbox sir?
What a hero...
Want A Cookie GIF by Cheeze2k

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

dcmk7

Banned
I will continue to push back against people who have don't own and have no idea what they are talking about with regards to XSS.

Why do you need to own the console exactly?

People who view the analysis in the OP are perfectly capable of forming an opinion without the console. It's quite clearly explained what the differences are.

Having or not having the console doesn't change facts.

Why do you need to own the console exactly?

People who view the analysis in the OP are perfectly capable of forming an opinion without the console. It's quite clearly explained what the differences are.

Having or not having the console doesn't change facts.
What facts have been stated? People lied about what Jason Ronald said and about MS claims of the XSS. You lied about me personally as well. If people actually stated facts like they don't own the XSS and simply want to 'dunk' on the cheaper console even if it has no baring on their gaming lives I'd at least respect your own personal biases. You are more than welcome to an opinion showing the lack of knowledge of the XSS and I can point out the lies told.

dcmk7

Banned
What facts have been stated
Have you not seen the video in the OP? The comparison is all factual right? Unless you are disputing the accuracy of it?

I keep my opinions based on facts. So if anything is wrong, let me know and I'll check it out.

It's not misleading to say that game modes are missing in some XSS version of games, so the experience for XSX and XSS owners aren't the same. Which is what had been promised. Why aren't you holding MS to account on this? I love Xbox and I think it's not a good look.

If going to release two SKU's be honest with the expectations. Don't say that it can do raytracing when first party titles aren't going to include it for example!

Last edited:

recursive

That and if you are on a budget for the same price as the PS5 DE you can get a XSS and Flight Simulator. The game this thread is about. As far as I know it's not on PS5 so it's hard to argue its a better value especially if you want to play this ga
Zero value if you want xbox games. Or gamepass.

That said I'm a big believer of owning both xbox and sony, the best of both worlds.
Agree I have both and I don't subscribe to pauperpass. In that posters world that I responded to work an extra 3.5 days instead of 3 and get the XSX. XSS is trash tier gaming.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Agree I have both and I don't subscribe to pauperpass. In that posters world that I responded to work an extra 3.5 days instead of 3 and get the XSX. XSS is trash tier gaming.

Saying xss is trash tier gaming is akin to insulting a good portion of the PC gamers on this board considering steam still has the 1060 as the most used gpu. Those who say it's trash truly don't understand the hardware, it's capabilities, or the people buying it. But enjoy your lofty perch.

Saying xss is trash tier gaming is akin to insulting a good portion of the PC gamers on this board considering steam still has the 1060 as the most used gpu. Those who say it's trash truly don't understand the hardware, it's capabilities, or the people buying it. But enjoy your lofty perch.
Don't pay attention to them man. Series S has its audience. I owned one before settling down for an RTX 3080 PC and I'll take one again if I can.
Not every game has to be in native 4K, ultra for you to be able to enjoy it and there's GamePass too.
Fuck the haters. Series S is a little firecracker.

recursive

Ok. XSS has graphical compromises, extremely limited storage and to top it off no disc drive so can't even pop in a movie. All these people buying them but the stocks are shelved? Only neogaf luvs the S. Sorry your feelings are hurt.

Have you not seen the video in the OP? The comparison is all factual right? Unless you are disputing the accuracy of it?

I keep my opinions based on facts. So if anything is wrong, let me know and I'll check it out.

It's not misleading to say that game modes are missing in some XSS version of games, so the experience for XSX and XSS owners aren't the same. Which is what had been promised. Why aren't you holding MS to account on this? I love Xbox and I think it's not a good look.

If going to release two SKU's be honest with the expectations. Don't say that it can do raytracing when first party titles aren't going to include it for example!
MS promised the same core experience. Flight Simulator on XSS runs at a stable 30 fps and offers an experience not rivaled on any cheaper console or PC. Please tell me the game modes missing in Flight Simulator on the XSS. Unless you are comparing the game side by side to a significantly more powerful and expensive device you wouldn't even notice the lower LODs and slight pop-in. MS was completely honest about what to expect on the XSS and if you honestly feel they were lying file a claim with the BBB. More expensive devices don't always hit 4K yet you choose to focus on the value device to complain about and it is very weird.

Don't pay attention to them man. Series S has its audience. I owned one before settling down for an RTX 3080 PC and I'll take one again if I can.
Not every game has to be in native 4K, ultra for you to be able to enjoy it and there's GamePass too.
Fuck the haters. Series S is a little firecracker.
I appreciate your perspective because you actually owned the XSS before. I also know you are a Sony fan. How were you able to find value in the XSS when so many who have never used the device have not? Do you feel MS lied about the device? Did you feel ripped off? You you think the Switch or PS4 are more capable devices? Did MS pay you to say nice things about the system? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom