• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL announced: "Windows Phone is back" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Meh, they still need to work on their designs. High end phones shouldn't look this bland.
All phones look bland to me. I feel so old when I see people calling a phone sexy looking or looking like garbage when they look like near identical black rectangles to me.

950XL sample

FGQ8eH3.jpg

Tom_Cody

My iPhone 5S is starting to feel a little stale in the wake of some recent software/OS updates and I'm seriously considering switching over to a Lumia 950.

Aside from less availability of apps, are there other factors I should consider?

maeh2k

My iPhone 5S is starting to feel a little stale in the wake of some recent software/OS updates and I'm seriously considering switching over to a Lumia 950.

Aside from less availability of apps, are there other factors I should consider?

Not really. If you can accept that apps are either worse or don't exist at at all on the platform, Windows Phone is great. Unless of course you also want to use other platform features like Apple Pay, Apple Music, or being able to use an Apple Watch.

DedValve

Banned
950XL sample

FGQ8eH3.jpg

Stay abstinent children or this too can be your dick.

I so desperately want to go back to windows phone and that off contract price is good but the lack of apps is killer. I just can't. I hope the windows 10 universal support works out for them.

Some amazing and compelling hardware features (best in class), but the app selection though...This is ultimately what keeps me away from Windows phones.

Novocaine

Patiently waiting for Telstra in Australia to get this in so I can upgrade from this 640. I really like the way these phones work and I'm not an app fiend. But it would be really nice to have something snappier.

liquidtmd

Banned
QHD OLED displays, top of the line cameras, high end chipsets, 3GB of RAM, expandable storage... They really aren't. They are very much in line with ofer flagships.

With that said, only fools buy high end Lumias at launch. Watch prices drop like an anvil in a couple of months.

Sad truth

I'm in for the 950 but I reckon amazon or a few other places will have it for sub £400 here in the UK by January

I took a trip to the Microsoft store in Manhattan to look at the new stuff. I was most impressed with the 84inch Surface Hub which is truly impressive. They also had a few 950xl's with one hooked up to a monitor for continuum. Very impressed by the speed of everything and continuum really felt like it was something out of the future. It really, works super well. I moved between desktop and mobile versions of office and outlook seamlessly. Opening PowerPoint and Word was quick and felt PC-like.

If Microsoft can move fast enough there would seriously be no competition for a business that deploys thin clients to their users. For casual consumer use it is pretty gimmicky. The cameras started fast and seemed to be pretty good. Nothing has ever matched up to the Lumia 1020 40 megapixel sensor which was the only phone I've ever owned where you couldn't tell it was a camera phone shot.

ElNino

Third party keyboards or still stuck with the shitty built in one?
Huh? The built in Windows Phone keyboard is fantastic. What problems do you have with it?

In the WP thread, most users who move to a different platform miss the keyboard from WP when they go to iOS or Android.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Many people consider the built in to be the best overall keyboard on any platform. I can get preferring a different one, but calling it shitty is laughable.

Default iOS keyboard is a joke and the spellchecker behavior is super aggravating. I miss my Windows keyboard AND spellchecker combo.

OEM

Default iOS keyboard is a joke and the spellchecker behavior is super aggravating. I miss my Windows keyboard AND spellchecker combo.

WP keyboard is AWESOME. the best keyboard you will find on any smartphone. PERIOD. I have lot of friends who switched to Android and iOS after using WP. But keyboard is one of the top thing they always complain about.

Doesnt this run Android apps?

Not yet. But last I heard, they were working on it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
WP keyboard is AWESOME. the best keyboard you will find on any smartphone. PERIOD. I have lot of friends who switched to Android and iOS after using WP. But keyboard is one of the top thing they always complain about.

Not yet. But last I heard, they were working on it.

What's so much better about the WP keyboard? Genuinely curious? I've been an iOS user since the first phone in 2007 - and while I sometimes get frustrated at autocorrect, I'm pretty dang fast and efficient with Apple's keyboard. But for work, I often find myself writing paragraphs and paragraphs for emails on my phone - so wondering how it could improve. I tried Swype, never liked it. Only big peeve was not knowing if I was typing in caps or not; but that was changed in 9.

Doesnt this run Android apps?
All signs point to Astoria (running Android apps) being cancelled according to Windows Central. The reasons were that apparently there was developer backlash and more critically the Android sub system was causing the phones to slow down over time. It looks like they are full steam ahead with project Islandwood which is the iOS porting project that actually compiles native Windows 10 code vs just running APK files in an emulator layer. There is a new Facebook app that is being developed in Islandwood which probably means they are doing the same with Instagram and messenger.

The app gap is real and is not going away, if you want to have the latest and even basic apps (banking anyone?) stick to iOS or Android.
What's so much better about the WP keyboard? Genuinely curious? I've been an iOS user since the first phone in 2007 - and while I sometimes get frustrated at autocorrect, I'm pretty dang fast and efficient with Apple's keyboard. But for work, I often find myself writing paragraphs and paragraphs for emails on my phone - so wondering how it could improve. I tried Swype, never liked it. Only big peeve was not knowing if I was typing in caps or not; but that was changed in 9.

The Windows keyboard has a native version of Swype that is super smooth and the autocorrect and letter placement are pretty much perfect. I am using an iPhone 6s+ right now and the typing experience on my lowly Lumia 635 is twice as good.

M3d10n

For me it's the autocorrect and swipe implementation, which are both top notch and adapt very quickly to your writing style.

OEM

Its combination of everything. The key spacing, and how they react to when you touch it. Honestly thats the best part to me right now. Auto correct is of course great. And native swipe typing

Glasshole

Banned
Been an avid user of Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7.0 and I dunno, I've had it with Windows recently.

-Update disabled my screen rotation in Lumia 1520 one month ago. Hasn't been fixed.
-Whatsapp was updated. When I'm in the app, the volume of the notification is not the notification system sound level, but the "media and apps" sound level. For exanple: Notification sound = 0/10, Media sound = 20/30. I open the app at work, message comes in and it's loud as fuck.
- Latest update for Surface RT bugs my unlock. Aka, I press the unlock button and the screen doesn't work. Hard reset, screen works. Revert back to OG Windows RT, unlock works every time. Update it, it never works.
This bug has been present FOR A YEAR.

Sooo yeah. Considering going Android with Oneplus.

I hope that the Project Astoria thing comes back. There's a few apps that I am missing, mainly things for kickstarter types of things (Like S Brick, which is holding me back by not having support on WP). But other than those few apps, I love WP too much to switch away. I'm not a heavy apps user so it doesn't bother me much.

I personally don't know why you would do Astoria AND Islandwood. I would say one of them is enough, seeing as you can find almost any app you'd want on both on Play Store and App Store. And if Islandwood is a much better "porting" service, then Astoria being dead isn't that bad. The only thing is that iPhones and iOS apps don't have a dedicated back button, which is a slight complication to app layout.

Been an avid user of Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7.0 and I dunno, I've had it with Windows recently.

-Update disabled my screen rotation in Lumia 1520 one month ago. Hasn't been fixed.
-Whatsapp was updated. When I'm in the app, the volume of the notification is not the notification system sound level, but the "media and apps" sound level. For exanple: Notification sound = 0/10, Media sound = 20/30. I open the app at work, message comes in and it's loud as fuck.
- Latest update for Surface RT bugs my unlock. Aka, I press the unlock button and the screen doesn't work. Hard reset, screen works. Revert back to OG Windows RT, unlock works every time. Update it, it never works.
This bug has been present FOR A YEAR.

Sooo yeah. Considering going Android with Oneplus.
Which update 1520? Never had that....

And which surface? My surface 2 hasn't had that issue ever either. My mom has the 1st gen rt and hasn't had it...

n64coder

I tried Swype, never liked it.

I tried Swype on iOS and it sucks. Windows swiping is much better. It's very easy to type out stuff one-handed. However, if you prefer to type with two fingers, then it might not be for you. I've always hated the keyboard on iOS. It's painful to type out long paragraphs.

I really want a Lumia 950 XL, but the apps situation is the only thing that's having me lean towards possibly getting a high end android phone, such as the Edge + or Note 5. I'm tired of seeing how much better and more feature rich apps are on other platforms. And it sucks that I'm feeling this way cause I really do vastly prefer the Windows Phone OS to those others.

I also strongly believe that, perhaps with the shared codebases that comes with Windows 10, the app situation could vastly improve on windows mobile, but I don't think I'm willing to wait for that to happen. The situation needs to improve first.

I really want a Lumia 950 XL, but the apps situation is the only thing that's having me lean towards possibly getting a high end android phone, such as the Edge + or Note 5. I'm tired of seeing how much better and more feature rich apps are on other platforms. And it sucks that I'm feeling this way cause I really do vastly prefer the Windows Phone OS to those others.

I also strongly believe that, perhaps with the shared codebases that comes with Windows 10, the app situation could vastly improve on windows mobile, but I don't think I'm willing to wait for that to happen. The situation needs to improve first.

I was in the same boat, but I'm just gonna take a chance on the 950/XL and hope the app situation improves. It's a huge gamble that's barely guaranteed.. but I'll take the risk..

I love the Windows Phone OS too much.

kitch9

Banned
Yeah, Swype is shit. SwiftKey is the best keyboard for me.

It even has Swype for those that like that kind of thing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would have stayed with WP and got the XL but I can't afford $850. Wish it would have came out on a carrier in Canada.

Frog-fu

Banned
WP users, how do y'all listen to podcasts? This is probably the most important factor to me to decide to jump platforms.

jelly

Too true. Windows Phone keyboard is great.

I'll never go back to Windows Phone without comparable app support to Apple and Android. Hard road for them but I'm not jumping in for a third time without it.

UraMallas

I love WP but had to move back to Android because I couldn't do without Snapchat and the MLBtv app any longer. I would love to come back as I miss the OS every day compared to what I have now on Android. I miss the keyboard, too.

Is Islandwood going to bring the apps I want over? What will Islandwood really do?

I love windows phone the app situation just sucks. Losing my chase app was it for me. I'm switching back to Iphone reluctantly. Its a shame because I really love the platform but cortana, office, OneDrive etc are on other devices anyway. I'm gonna miss the camera and OS but on ios I know I will have apps and that they will be updated.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'd be very surprised if they were only on iTunes. What ones are those?

Few examples I listen to:
- Screen Junkies Movie Fights
- This American Life
- Serial
- The Biggest Problem in the Universe
- Collider
- IGN UK
- Funhaus
- The Nerdist

I can't recall anyone on these podcasts ever mentioning they release elsewhere from iTunes' podcast app.

kharma45

Few exampels I listen to:
- Screen Junkies Movie Fights
- This American Life
- Serial
- The Biggest Problem in the Universe
- Collider
- IGN UK
- Funhaus
- The Nerdist

I can't recall anyone on these podcasts ever mentioning they release elsewhere from iTunes' podcast app.

They all do (I'm not going to screencap them all)

I can't imagine anyone having podcasts exclusively on one platform. They all have a feed like this http://feeds.ign.com/ignfeeds/podcasts/uk and any podcast app on any OS will be able to pick them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom