• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL announced: "Windows Phone is back" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love WP but had to move back to Android because I couldn't do without Snapchat and the MLBtv app any longer. I would love to come back as I miss the OS every day compared to what I have now on Android. I miss the keyboard, too.

Is Islandwood going to bring the apps I want over? What will Islandwood really do?
I really don't have any must have app anymore so I can switch pretty easily back to WP as my daily driver which I might do for the 950xl. I wouldn't hold out hope for Islandwood, basically major companies will be able to use it to save from starting WP development from scratch, but they will still have to commit to maintaining and updating said app (see Instagram beta app for a forgotten app example).
The best hope for decent app support is the whole Universal Windows app thing. I guarantee MLB will come out for next season as a universal app, Snapchat I don't see supporting Windows. They are a mobile first company and don't need the 3%.

Glasshole

Banned
Which update 1520? Never had that....

And which surface? My surface 2 hasn't had that issue ever either. My mom has the 1st gen rt and hasn't had it...

- My Lumia 1520 is on Lumia Denim
Firmware Update Notifier 1.2.16.7
Lumia First Use Experience 1.11.2.1
Messaging+ agent 2.0.13.4
Rate Us 3.0.0.6
Silent Installer 1.6.1.3
Sim Unlock 1.0.0.5
SpamFilter 1.9.3.1

OS Version 8.10.14226.359

Google the problem, you'll see I'm far from the only one.

-Surface RT, as I have written. Aka the OG Surface RT, otherwise I would have written "Surface 2 RT". Did your mum update it? She shouldn't, it gets fucking useless.

EDIT: Also, I can't fucking update my Surface RT to Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 - the "Windows 10 lookalike" update. It always says my device is up to date. I've set it back to factory settings, including deletion of my private files, several times.

EDIT: Also, I can't fucking update my Surface RT to Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 - the "Windows 10 lookalike" update. It always says my device is up to date. I've set it back to factory settings, including deletion of my private files, several times.
You have to manually push the update. I had to do it for my Lumia 2520 that runs RT. I forgot the actual steps but it wasn't hard. I think I had to go into desktop mode and update that way. A quick search should give you the answers.

Raistlin

I use Podcast Lounge since the inbuilt app is crap. If Pocket Casts had existed on WP before it I'd probably have got it instead.
Having not tried it, what's so much better versus the built in app? I haven't really had issues with it overall.

How does this work? Most of the podcasts I listen to distribute only through iTunes I think. Does this app work as some kind of aggregate by collecting them?
Most podcasts are indexed by multiple services, so you'll likely be able to search for it in the app.

If worse comes to worse though, most websites tend to have at a minimum an iTunes link and an RSS link for their podcasts on the podcasts page. You can copy the RSS link into the podcast app search and it will find it in the event it's not actually indexed.

At least that's how the built-in app works.

Raistlin

Few examples I listen to:
- Screen Junkies Movie Fights
- This American Life
- Serial
- The Biggest Problem in the Universe
- Collider
- IGN UK
- Funhaus
- The Nerdist

I can't recall anyone on these podcasts ever mentioning they release elsewhere from iTunes' podcast app.
I found all by text search in the Podcast app except for 'The Biggest Problem in the Universe'. For that one I went to the website and copied the RSS link and pasted it in the app - worked fine.

For reference, this is the typical RSS feed icon. You just long press it and copy URL.

rss.png

Paganmoon

Contiuum dock offer seems to be tied to Lumia Offers app, a preinstalled app on the phone, that gives a code, with which you can order a Display Dock from Microsoft Store, for free.

At least, that's the offer for Europe, for Both the 950, and the 950 XL, offer supposedly stands until end of January.

Oh man. I'm getting the phone either way but if I can the $100 off the surface 3 and a free continuum dock I will be a happy camper

AP90

Contiuum dock offer seems to be tied to Lumia Offers app, a preinstalled app on the phone, that gives a code, with which you can order a Display Dock from Microsoft Store, for free.

At least, that's the offer for Europe, for Both the 950, and the 950 XL, offer supposedly stands until end of January.

Can you send me/post a link about the free dock and or stands with purchase at MS store?? Thanks.

Raistlin

Can you send me/post a link about the free dock and or stands with purchase at MS store?? Thanks.

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia...s-microsoft-store-649-free-display-dock-offer

To obtain your promotional code, you must activate your device, and sign in to the Lumia Offers App on your eligible Microsoft Lumia phone with a Microsoft account on or before January 31, 2016."

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...18410060302008005&CA_6C15C=120177510000015796

Eligible for free Microsoft Display Dock with purchase of Lumia 950 XL via the Lumia Offers app, while supplies last.

It's unclear whether the 950 will also have this offer since it isn't up for pre-ordered on the MS site. The main text states 'eligible Microsoft Lumia' though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I suspect MS won't sell the 950 unlocked online or in stores for a certain window as a favor to AT&T though? Guess we'll have to see whether it works for initial AT&T customers (assuming it isn't and advertised bonus).

Paganmoon

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia...s-microsoft-store-649-free-display-dock-offer

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...18410060302008005&CA_6C15C=120177510000015796

It's unclear whether the 950 will also have this offer since it isn't up for pre-ordered on the MS site. The main text states 'eligible Microsoft Lumia' though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I suspect MS won't sell the 950 unlocked online or in stores for a certain window as a favor to AT&T though? Guess we'll have to see whether it works for initial AT&T customers (assuming it isn't and advertised bonus).

Microsoft Sweden has this on their homepage:

http://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/mobile/microsoft-display-dock-offer/ claiming 950, 950 XL and 950 Dual-sim

Further more, the offer on the SE site states that this is no matter where you purchase it (not only from the MS store). Or at least, it's got 7 retailers listed on their site.

Though Microsoft UK has the following:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/microsoft-display-dock-offer/ Stating only the 950 XL

Would be strange if only Sweden got the offer for 950, but who knows, maybe we're no longer Tier 3!

Raistlin

Microsoft Sweden has this on their homepage:

http://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/mobile/microsoft-display-dock-offer/ claiming 950, 950 XL and 950 Dual-sim

Further more, the offer on the SE site states that this is no matter where you purchase it (not only from the MS store). Or at least, it's got 7 retailers listed on their site.

Though Microsoft UK has the following:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/microsoft-display-dock-offer/ Stating only the 950 XL

Would be strange if only Sweden got the offer for 950, but who knows, maybe we're no longer Tier 3!
My only concern would be if AT&T is preventing it for some stupid reason.

They randomly took out QI on one of the previous phones, etc. They suck lol.

Paganmoon

After trying a few different locales:
Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland all seem to state 950, 950 XL and 950 Dual-sim,

Germany, UK, Poland sites states only 950XL

Italy, Spain, Netherlands, France, Austria, Ireland - Page cannot be found (maybe different link there, or offer not available at all?)

My only concern would be if AT&T is preventing it for some stupid reason.

They randomly took out QI on one of the previous phones, etc. They suck lol.

Would be strange if AT&T could dictate Euro deals though.

Raistlin

I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison of the 950 / 950 XL ... but in the US at least looks like that's not possible.

At least so far, MS only has demo units (and appears to be selling) the XL, while AT&T currently has dibs on the smaller rev. Want to directly compare to see which I prefer overall.

M3d10n

I started toying around with windows universal app development and I'm trying to port RetroArch for it. Should make Continuum pretty interesting if it works out.

Caayn

My phone just arrived :D

wp_20151126_002i5std.jpg

wp_20151126_006lirfw.jpg

It's been a long time ago that I needed to open a phone to place the sim card.
Care to elaborate?

I read through the review and didn't notice anything weird outside of the weak criticism of the device's physical aesthetics.
My initial reaction was probably a bit of an overreaction. However I do still think that their review is somewhat funny and this does kinda sums up what annoyed me when I read the review from the Verge. http://i.imgur.com/PwxZiAm.pngIt just didn't feel right to me. Especially due to the person who reviewed it, who seems to have an "Apple good, others bad" mentality". https://twitter.com/dcseifert/status/667739389007634433 And seems to be incapable of executing even basic procedures https://twitter.com/hexaoctadeca/status/667809149065932801.

I do need to say that I might be a bit biased as well :p

jstripes

Banned
My phone just arrived :D

wp_20151126_002i5std.jpg

wp_20151126_006lirfw.jpg
Did all of the original Nokia industrial designers flee in the past year?

Because that "real life" shot of it is convincingly awful.

(I've generally been a fan of the Lumia series' industrial design.)

Have to replace my wife's Lumia 1020's screen for the second time this weekend.

Raistlin

They're locked in a dungeon until Panos is satisfied with his Surface Phone. The 950 was designed by an intern while they were preoccupied.
It's unclear how many of the top Lumia designers are left, but this phone was already in the pipeline prior to merging the Surface team with what remains of Lumia. So if anything, this is the last phone to have mostly Lumia DNA.

Regardless, I think the 'problems' with the looks are more due to the realities of the removable back design choice. One can argue whether going in the direction was a good idea or not, but it does limit the sorts of materials and shape you can use. Especially since it has wireless charging.

I think the 'Designed for Microsoft Lumia' was a smart move though. With it there are lots of official backs and cases that really spruce up the looks, and make them some of the nicer designs with this kind of form factor. The amount of color and materials options mean it would be silly to try and offer them with the phone itself though. And they simply don't expect the sorts of sales that would make a MotoMaker type service financially viable. With that in mind, offering the standard plain Jane backs makes the most sense at the PoS.

mozo-lumia-950.jpg

aaaaa0

I think the 'Designed for Microsoft Lumia' was a smart move though. With it there are lots of official backs and cases that really spruce up the looks, and make them some of the nicer designs with this kind of form factor. The amount of color and materials options mean it would be silly to try and offer them with the phone itself though. And they simply don't expect the sorts of sales that would make a MotoMaker type service financially viable. With that in mind, offering the standard plain Jane backs makes the most sense at the PoS.

mozo-lumia-950.jpg

Waiting for Mozo to make a back made of carbon fiber and metal.

aaaaa0

Is metal possible with Qi?

The 830 sides are real metal and it supports Qi just fine, so it's possible to at least have a metal frame.

The current Mozo backs have metalized plastic frames. :-\

What I want is a metal framed back, with the back itself being carbon fiber.

Raistlin

The 830 sides are real metal and it supports Qi just fine, so it's possible to at least have a metal frame.

The current Mozo backs have metalized plastic frames. :-\

What I want is a metal framed back, with the back itself being carbon fiber.

Oh that would be cool. Sorry thought you meant the back being metal, as that would be a problem for Qi (I think).

On that note, would a 1520 owner get any major benefit from upgrading?

I want it, but I gotta do Christmas shopping for people first...
Since Windows 10 is coming to the 1520, this becomes an interesting question. Obviously the SoC will perform better. Probably the bigger deal is more RAM in day to day usage though. Granted 2GB isn't terrible. While the camera has improved, I suspect it isn't going to be night and day assuming you have the Denim or newer firmware. That improved the speed to at least be respectable on the 1520, and its picture quality is obviously pretty impressive. I believe that also added the Hey Cortana feature, so that isn't a differentiator either. The screen is a nice improvement - AMOLED plus higher resolution. Glance essentially uses no power draw since it can just turn on the pixels it needs.

It's a tough choice to be honest. The 950XL can really be seen as an evolution. It essentially does everything the 1520 does but better. The question is does it do any one of those things dramatically better? I'm not so sure, but the combination may be greater than the sum of its parts? It's certainly lighter and more comfortable to hold though. Really the only totally new things it offers are Windows Hello and Continuum. Whether those matter is up to you. I'd say if money is tight, you may want to just wait for a sale (granted that means potentially losing the free Continuum dock if you think you'd have use for it)? The upgrade is worth it ... but only if you have the disposable income. If it would strap you at all, you probably won't feel you're getting the return on investment?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-does-new-microsoft-lumia-950xl-compare-lumia-1520

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has anyone tried this with a bluetooth mouse, keyboard and Wireless HDMI? I have all of those things and I'd LOVE to be able to use it (XL) for work while traveling and eschew my laptop every now and then. Especially vacations.

Also curious to know how something like Netflix would run wirelessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom