• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft planning to do some event in Q1 2023 to showcase their promised titles for the first half of the year

Draugoth

Gold Member
This report is from Window Central Gaming by Jez Corden who has close relationships to MS/Xbox
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago on my Xbox Two Podcast that I'd heard there was a possibility Microsoft would have a muted presence at this year's Game Awards. I was reluctant to put a hard stamp on that as a report since I was unable to get real confirmation, but it seems the rumors were ultimately true. Save for a couple of Xbox Game Pass ads, Microsoft didn't reveal anything fresh. There was nothing for Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, or even imminent 2023 titles like Starfield or Redfall. And commentators and fans aren't exactly enamored with this performance. Microsoft's VP of Xbox Games Marketing Aaron Greenberg recently tweeted that Xbox fans wouldn't have to wait long to find out more of what Xbox has in store for 2023. **And indeed, I've heard some tentative, and unverifiable rumors recently that Microsoft may be exploring some kind of event for Q1, possibly in the vein of its X0 events of the pre-pandemic age. The most recent X0 was back in 2019, **which offered a decent look at upcoming games while revealing some unannounced ones, such as Grounded. For the sake of Xbox fans, I hope this particular rumor turns out to be true

Last edited:

Pelta88

This "article" cites has no source and outright claims to be using "Unverified sources." Then goes on to give a 3 month window of a suspected showcase. But in essence, the theme of this article is basically telling us all to... Wait.

You literally can't make this shit up. But apparently you can, courtesy of Jez Corden.

QDYNC3m.gif

feynoob

Banned
This "article" cites has no source and outright claims to be using "Unverified sources." Then goes on to give a 3 month window of a suspected showcase. But in essence, the theme of this article is basically telling us all to... Wait.

You literally can't make this shit up. But apparently you can, courtesy of Jez Corden.

QDYNC3m.gif
He predicted MS not having a showcase this tga.

Still, a grain of salt as his track is shit.

Jesus Christ in just one year we went from “Xbox has no games” to “Xbox has no game showcases”. Of course this is corporate damage control, but it’s because they are trying to avoid scrutiny of the pending acquisition. Why would you flaunt all of these “only on Xbox” games when every antitrust agency is on your ass? MS is in an awkward place right now trying to both act like they have no games and yet they have all of the games.

levyjl1988

Banned
I hope Starfield doesn’t release like a broken mess CyberPunk 2077 did.
They should take their time.
But not too long, we’ve seen what games that have been cooking for too long would do.
Halo Infinite sucked compared to its predecessors.
In the end its all about how competent your development team can be.

feynoob

Banned
it’s because they are trying to avoid scrutiny of the pending acquisition.
This is the only reason.
But this a forum website. It's easy to shit on opposition console, and make fun of them.

But like always, everyone would forget about them in couple of days.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Jesus Christ in just one year we went from “Xbox has no games” to “Xbox has no game showcases”. Of course this is corporate damage control, but it’s because they are trying to avoid scrutiny of the pending acquisition. Why would you flaunt all of these “only on Xbox” games when every antitrust agency is on your ass? MS is in an awkward place right now trying to both act like they have no games and yet they have all of the games.
I don’t understand this logic. I doubt the anti trust authorities think Obsidian, Playground, Zenimax, Playground, Double Fine, The Initiative are not working on games just because there’s been no recent trailers. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they know exactly what each studio is working on.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I don’t understand this logic. I doubt the anti trust authorities think Obsidian, Playground, Zenimax, Playground, Double Fine, The Initiative are not working on games just because there’s been no recent trailers. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they know exactly what each studio is working on.
Because we would have already heard those information from the regulators.

The only time we got an information like that, was from MS documents to the CMA about PS Wolverine.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Because we would have already heard those information from the regulators.

The only time we got an information like that, was from MS documents to the CMA about PS Wolverine.
It’s not in the reports submissions, I just think that it may have come up in conversation - I may be wrong (y)

feynoob

Banned
So what's the logic behind this then. Is not okay to have a showcase now but is fine in 3 months? Or Microsoft will ho without showing anything until 2024 when the deal is supposed to be on trial?
No, the show will be there, as those games are for 2023. And regulators know about these games.

Any new announced games from Bethesda or future titles would give them some pressure from regulators.

MS said to regulators that their console output is weak. And if they see those titles, MS could be in hot water.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
No, the show will be there, as those games are for 2023. And regulators know about these games.

Any new announced games from Bethesda or future tites would give them some pressure from regulators.

MS said to regulators that their console output is weak. And if they see those titles, MS could be in hot water.
Come on they aren't stupid. I doubt they will have scrutiny for bethesda. That deal is done. Activision deal isn't about Microsoft output but the consequences of making a billion dollar pubo8sher private. That's all

yurinka

It's fair to assume that if at game awards they didn't announce the Starfield, Redfall and Forza dates they'll announce them during Q1, unless they are H2 2023 games. In that case they'd wait to do it so at E3.

feynoob

Banned
Come on they aren't stupid. I doubt they will have scrutiny for bethesda. That deal is done. Activision deal isn't about Microsoft output but the consequences of making a billion dollar pubo8sher private. That's all
Tell that to the FTC.
They started fire, by using zenimax argument from EU.

Anything is a weapon for regulators, Sony and MS at this point. Nothing is of the table.

Last edited:

There is a difference between working on and releasing games, and an Xbox event meant to showcase exclusives and other reasons why people should buy an Xbox and not something from their competitors. Until this deal goes through they want to look as weak and humble as possible. Regulators are not immune from biases, so throwing an Xbox exclusive rager as the investigation goes on would be a dumb move. It’s either hold off or host an event that screams “check out all these awesome games that you can buy on your PS5/Switch!”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't get why this is a big issues.
MS announced several games for 2023 with no dateline.
This event would be about those games.

Unless you are console warring, this should be a common knowledge.

Yes.

Expecting an event or stream to highlight more info and release windows for the expected releases in 2023 should be expected.

He predicted MS not having a showcase this tga.

Still, a grain of salt as his track is shit.
Nah, Jez is actually one of the best leakers.
He leaked Compulsions new game including artwork. He leaked Pentament, he leaked InXiles new game, he also leaked a heap of others as well that all panned out true.
He has been attacked by Obsidian for leaking stuff. He actually has footage on pre alpha Avowed which he hasn't released. At one show he went up to play a game and they turned their backs on him and walked away.
The biggest issue now is he is actually pulling back on leaks because of the pushback.

Microsoft needs to do two shows.
The first one is like they did at E3. These games are going to be released in the next 12 months. Lots of gameplay, release dates etc.
The second show is a more forward looking one where they show games that are further out. This is where your CGI trailers go.

feynoob

Banned
To he fair, Bernie is ignorant. He has absolutely no idea of the gaming industry. He just saw Microsoft and thought anything they do should be blocked.
Anyway, I will refrain from any other political talk.
MS is a big tech trying to use their wealth to buy another big tech.
If they arent controlled, they could do serious damage with their wealth.

Microsoft needs to do two shows.
The first one is like they did at E3. These games are going to be released in the next 12 months. Lots of gameplay, release dates etc.
The second show is a more forward looking one where they show games that are further out. This is where your CGI trailers go.
No. Stop showing games that are more than a year out. Take a page out of Rockstar and Bethesda. You make your games and you shit the fuck up about them. Maybe a trailer or teaser, some “leak” to get people talking about it, but that’s it. When the game is closer to release then you start showing it, and not trailers and that shit bit hands on gameplay, get the leads to talk about the games, etc. That’s how you build hype and not burn people out.

"Gamepass is still the best place in gaming"

I Say that not as a jab but as a double edge sword: on one hand, Microsoft does in fact still has no games of it own. This merger is probably effecting some release date. On the other hand, Microsoft has made those consumers not give a fuck. They are so distracted by the feeling of free games ($1 trial, monthly subscription cost after) that none of this matters)

You do realize you are talking about Bethesda, right?
If Zenimax was an independent publisher I guarantee you Starfield would be out already in all its broken glory, with mods fixing it on Xbox, and horseshit mod support on PS. I'll give them a chance to clean it up with MS money before I just assume it will be a buggy mess.

On MS doing a Q1 show, well no shit. I expect them to have a decent amount to show. I hope they continue the concept of only showing things they think will launch in a year. They fucked up announcing things the moment the ink dried on the contract, showing alpha footage just fuels retarded console wars.

Top Bottom