• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft President Brad Smith: Not only will COD will continue to be on Playstation, we'd like to bring it to Nintendo devices

ZehDon

Couldn't be any clearer than this. This is not Phil here. This is the MS president himself.

Not only are COD games staying on Playstation but they're coming to Switch as well.

It's obvious they just want to make as much money as possible.

It could be a lot clearer.

The Switch can't run a modern CoD on its extremely limited hardware. So, unless Microsoft is spinning up a Switch porting studio to start re-building the games exclusively for Nintendo's hardware - unlikely - this worries me that they're talking about streaming. "Here you go PlayStation fans, just as we promised: Call of Duty on PlayStation 5. Just stream the game from xCloud through your Game Pass subscription and you'll have all the CoD you want!".

Last edited:

Banned
how the fuck is CoD Mobile not on Switch already? that shit runs well at 60fps even on old ass Phones and has full Controller support + really good gyro aiming already.

like, how the fuck did that not happen yet? it also has a battle royale mode, something Switch doesn't really have a lot of outside of Fortnite, which runs like ass on it, and Apex Legends which is barely even playable on it... like actually barely playable, it's really fucking bad

with CoD running so well on low end hardware it is really weird that this hasn't happened yet

here is it running on a Galaxy S6, a phone even older than my old ass phone

The Switch can't run a modern CoD on its extremely limited hardware. So, unless Microsoft is spinning up a Switch porting studio to start re-building the games exclusively for Nintendo's hardware - unlikely - this worries me that they're talking about streaming. "Here you go PlayStation fans, just as we promised: Call of Duty on PlayStation 5. Just stream the game from xCloud through your Game Pass subscription and you'll have all the CoD you want!".

see what I wrote above

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It could be a lot clearer.

They will try the control way. Control doesn't run natively on switch.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It will be. You dont spend $68.7b on a company, and share it with your competitors. That is the dumbest thing in the world.

They want to increase gamepass. And making COD exclusive is n1 priority for that.
They didn't spend 68.7 b only for COD though. Why are we speculating on matters that have been officially clarified?
It will tell. Just like starfield and TES6.
And they said it will be exclusive, always.
People didn't get that memo.
I made these three threads after Zenimax purchase before it was finalized
The difference is this time they are clear that COD will be multiplatform, interestingly they specifically mention COD not the other Blizzard stuffs. If MS can fix the issues with Blizzard management some amazing games can come out of it.
With Zenimax they were slightly vague until the deal was closed. The day the deal was closed they dropped this
But they still made it obvious with statements like
  • Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem
  • we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that
  • “Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.
  • I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.
  • our goal is to get as many people into the Xbox community
This is very different from COD where they are saying the opposite.
I told everyone COD will stay multiplat. All this metaverse talk makes me think they bought ActiBliz for WoW and some other upcoming Blizzard IP.
These guys are doing this to generate as much money as possible.

They don't give a damn about the console war.
Somehow the concept of MS keeping a franchise multiplat because its core fans are on another platform is treated as a greedy money grabbing act. What do you say about Bungie staying multiplat then?

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
As expected, This was the more likely scenario and ms ceo could be lying but for now this scenario got confirmed. This is not the same scenario of Bethesda. This is another minecraft scenario. Same with bungie, sony and Microsoft have different reasons but clearly taking the pure business decision in some of their acquisitions of studios or ips.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Don't mind me I'm just dropping off some quotes from memory lane.

I was tempted to include comments from individuals on the other end of the conversation, but I don't want to be petty. Yet.
I was part of that. I admit I made a huge mistake. My initial thought was gamepass devices.

Now everyone, don't grind me too hard ok
Scared Looney Tunes GIF by Cartoon Network Asia

ParaSeoul

And spun by your misguided "interperatation" to bs. Still waiting on the answer to my question about Bethesda.....
Every new IP will probably be exclusive. Fallout and whatever else they made before will probably be multiplat. Don't really care about their games myself.

FrankWza

Couldn't be any clearer than this. This is not Phil here. This is the MS president himself.

Not only are COD games staying on Playstation but they're coming to Switch as well.

This tweeter just told us GT7 was getting delayed though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Every new IP will probably be exclusive. Fallout and whatever else they made before will probably be multiplat. Don't really care about their games myself.

Ok, so if MS is saying they want games on all platforms and COD will truly be multiplatform, bla bla bla, then why wouldn't they do the same with all their games? Explain why they would not want to bring new IP's to all platforms if it's A ok to do so for all their best IP's?
You can't have your cake and eat it to, they either want the best exclusives for xbox (which every indication points to, including most of the content on their existing studios), or they want to be truly multiplatform.

ParaSeoul

Ok, so if MS is saying they want games on all platforms and COD will truly be multiplatform, bla bla bla, then why wouldn't they do the same with all their games? Explain why they would not want to bring new IP's to all platforms if it's A ok to do so for all their best IP's?
You can't have your cake and eat it to, they either want the best exclusives for xbox (which every indication points to, including most of the content on their existing studios), or they want to be truly multiplatform.
Because COD is the biggest of all of those. And would probably be something the FTC can easily use to stop the acquisition.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Yes, but making as much money as possible does not involve all games going to playstation because if they take away the reasons to own an Xbox it would decrease gamepass subs (because people would just not bother with xbox if all there games were on PS5)

I do see COD, Overwatch being like that. The rest of the franchises I'm not so sure, but it's possible as well.

Like a lot of posters said, MS is going to become a publisher. They will still have their exclusive franchises to push Xbox Game Pass, but I can see them becoming publishers for all platforms as well.

This is actually pretty good. If they manage to put the games on the switch, then they win even more.

Sota4077

Don't mind me I'm just dropping off some quotes from memory lane.

I was tempted to include comments from individuals on the other end of the conversation, but I don't want to be petty. Yet.

The people saying that weren't pulling logic from their ass when they said it though. There was precedent there from the Bethesda acquisition to point to where they didn't make it available on other platforms. You can take a victory lap if you want, but you really aren't dunking on anyone. They were looking at history. Recent history at that.

ZehDon

how the fuck is CoD Mobile not on Switch already? that shit runs well at 60fps even on old ass Phones and has full Controller support + really good gyro aiming already.

like, how the fuck did that not happen yet? it also has a battle royale mode, something Switch doesn't really have a lot of outside of Fortnite, which runs like ass on it, and Apex Legends which is barely even playable on it... like actually barely playable, it's really fucking bad

with CoD running so well on low end hardware it is really weird that this hasn't happened yet

here is it running on a Galaxy S6, a phone even older than my old ass phone

see what I wrote above

If you think a native port of a mobile spin off is "bringing COD to PlayStation", you're missing the insinuation of the statement in question. Microsoft, apparently, want to bring the Call of Duty franchise to Nintendo Switch. Not a port of a mobile spin off, the franchise games themselves. And the Nintendo Switch is physically incapable of handling them. This means Microsoft is either going to re-build future CoD games for the Nintendo Switch - expensive and unlikely - or, that they consider streaming CoD games a valid delivery method. This raises questions about the legitimacy of their "CoD will continue on PlayStation" claims. Classic PR speak when trying to look like the good guys - simply don't include the bad news.

"Call of Duty will continue on PlayStation... via streaming... via a Game Pass subscription... that Sony may chose to not allow. Hey, we kept our promise guys! It's Sony fault for not allowing Game Pass on PlayStation! We're the good guys here!"

Banned
If you think a native port of a mobile spin off is "bringing COD to PlayStation", you're missing the insinuation of the statement in question. Microsoft, apparently, want to bring the Call of Duty franchise to Nintendo Switch.

the fuck are you talking about? where did they say they want to bring NEW unreleased CoD games to Switch? wtf? where did you dream that up?
and where did I say something about Playstation in this at all?

bringing CoD to Switch can easily mean a port of CoD Mobile, which is very successful and runs really well on it even today, where you can play it on switch through unofficial means and without optimization for the system... and it already runs at 60fps no problem.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

For Fuck's Sake - it's just a game... How many of these threads do we need? are people that hell bent up about whether or not this game will come to PS / Nintendo?

If you're that much of a fan of the series/game and it doesn't launch on your favorite plastic box.. here's a thought - just BUY the other plastic box the game comes out on...

Why does it matter so much what's going to happen on this one game???

ZehDon

the fuck are you talking about? where did they say they want to bring NEW unreleased CoD games to Switch? wtf? where did you dream that up?
and where did I say something about Playstation in this at all?
Oh, I'm sorry. When Microsoft's president said Microsoft wanted to continue 'Call of Duty' on PlayStation and expand that to Nintendo Switch, I thought he meant forward. Not backwards. That's my mistake - clearly, when he said continue, he meant backwards compatibility, meaning they're porting the PS2 versions of Call of Duty to the Nintendo Switch. That makes much more sense, really.

You didn't say PlayStation. The person in the statement, the thread titles, the OP, and my post that you quoted said PlayStation. Hence me commenting on it. Maybe - and this is just a suggestion - maybe read the thread you're posting in before you post in it?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
For Fuck's Sake - it's just a game... How many of these threads do we need? are people that hell bent up about whether or not this game will come to PS / Nintendo?

If you're that much of a fan of the series/game and it doesn't launch on your favorite plastic box.. here's a thought - just BUY the other plastic box the game comes out on...

Why does it matter so much what's going to happen on this one game???
I honestly don't think it's about one game. Most of these discussions we have revolve around current industry consolidation and how it will impact the future. And it's fun to speculate.

legacy24

why not do the same thing with Bethesda then why do all of the popular Activision titles have to the remain multiplatform, I can understand call of duty but that should be like only one that should stay multiplatform.

why not do the same thing with Bethesda then why do all of the popular Activision titles have to the remain multiplatform, I can understand call of duty but that should be like only one that should stay multiplatform.
There will be Activision and Blizzard exclusives, without a doubt. I guarantee you that there will be CoD titles exclusive to MS platforms too. And the ones that aren’t will have Sony subsidizing the development of even more exclusives. Either way, MS wins. They literally own ActiBlizz, there is no universe in which that doesn’t work to their advantage.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The people saying that weren't pulling logic from their ass when they said it though. There was precedent there from the Bethesda acquisition to point to where they didn't make it available on other platforms. You can take a victory lap if you want, but you really aren't dunking on anyone. They were looking at history. Recent history at that.
Well some did. But really I'm not dunking on anyone was just having a little fun with my prior comment.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Because COD is the biggest of all of those. And would probably be something the FTC can easily use to stop the acquisition.

Which was one of my biggest points, if you are MS, do you say you are going to keep COD from Sony or do you say whatever it takes now and "change your mind" after the acquisition. They have chosen their words, very, very carefully. Not one time does anyone say new call duty AAA games will be developed for Sony/Nintendo.
As far as maintaining what's there you keep the free to play multiplayer like warzone, and you just maintain it and other existing back titles. (why would you turn your back on sales of games already made)

Top Bottom