• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft President Brad Smith: Not only will COD will continue to be on Playstation, we'd like to bring it to Nintendo devices

Most likely then is that it will continue on PS5 as is, but what he said could easily mean "of course it will be on xbox and switch. All they need to do is let gamepass on the platform." especially when it comes to the switch, even ps4 cod games would struggle to run smoothly so I have no idea how a ps5/xsc cod could run on the switch without some sort of cloud streaming.

Microsoft is probably being straight here and saying releases will continue to come out on PS5 physically and digitally, but a small percentage of me thinks they are being very coy with their wording.

I don't care either way, cod doesn't interest me, though now they will appear on Gamepass I might give the releases a go.

Is CoD mobile a good game and would it translate well to the Switch?

It is actually really good. Didn't bother with it until they added controller support but I had more fun than any of the recent mainline titles. It'd definitely work well on the switch

It's got the obvious mobile shite tacked on but they really aimed for the same console/PC experience with it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Huh, interesting, I'm guessing they are really worried about regulatory approval. It's very difficult to imagine that they'll stick to their word though, they didn't pay 60 billion usd just to have COD on gamepass.

Riky

$MSFT
A Series S bundle for £249 with three months Gamepass and the new Call Of Duty "included" splashed all over the box, that sounds like a winner to me.
Especially when the game becomes next gen only which could be as soon as 2023, last gen owners will need to upgrade then and it will be a compelling purchase.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Huh, interesting, I'm guessing they are really worried about regulatory approval. It's very difficult to imagine that they'll stick to their word though, they didn't pay 60 billion usd just to have COD on gamepass.

What’s more likely, that they make a lie so public that they lose a huge amount of political weight with regulatory bodies and risk any future acquisitions, along with lying to their shareholders, all because of Xbox, or you know…

But maybe you’re right and Xbox console warriors are more important for MS than the shareholders, regulatory bodies and the rest of their business.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm on about exactly what I wrote?

Let's presume Microsoft elects not to bring COD to the Nintendo Switch, but it does bring it to the "Switch 2". What do we think that the hardware target for the Switch 2 might be? What are the chances of it being comparable to the PlayStation 5? I'd wager that's pretty slim - Nintendo has given up chasing cutting edge hardware. A "Switch 2" would likely still be behind the PS4 or Xbone's specs. Do you think a next-gen only Call of Duty is going to get a native version for the "Switch 2"? Once again, I think the chances are pretty slim. And that leaves streaming - a pretty sub-optimal way to experience these games.

A next gen switch in 2024 would likely be more powerful than the Steam Deck And Xbox One, for sure. Definitely have a better CPU than either the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One.

They’ll port the games to run on the hardware at 720p, equivalent low settings. And it’ll run just fine.

Azurro

Banned
What’s more likely, that they make a lie so public that they lose a huge amount of political weight with regulatory bodies and risk any future acquisitions, along with lying to their shareholders, all because of Xbox, or you know…

It's not like they signed a contract that future COD titles will always make it to PS feature complete and on time, so, without anything written down, I can imagine there are always ways to reframe past statements once regulation has passed to not make it seem like they lied.

I think they are just worried about the deal not getting approved. What they did with Bethesda was unprecedented and this one is a much bigger deal, and I can imagine precedent over what they have done with Bethesda's titles will be relevant for this one.

It would be funny if they were forced to announce a Starfield port just to try to get this deal over the line. :p

Last edited:
Pretty funny that understanding official messaging can be interpreted as fanboyism but not your posts using them to make your own interpretations.

This guy thinks new IPs will be multiplat.

I know it pains you but watch the interview - the implication is that big AAA IPs will be multiplat. It's time for the usual suspects to come to terms with the new direction MS is taking.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's not like they signed a contract that future COD titles will always make it to PS feature complete and on time, so, without anything written down, I can imagine there are always ways to reframe past statements once regulation has passed to not make it seem like they lied.

I think they are just worried about the deal not getting approved. What they did with Bethesda was unprecedented and this one is a much bigger deal, and I can imagine precedent over what they have done with Bethesda's titles will be relevant for this one.

It would be funny if they were forced to announce a Starfield port just to try to get this deal over the line. :p

You know when the argument is brought up that Xbox is just a small part of MS, usually in defense of Xbox? Well it really is a small part of MS, and all fantasies about them risking it all to appease Xbox console warriors are just that, fantasies.

A Series S bundle for £249 with three months Gamepass and the new Call Of Duty "included" splashed all over the box, that sounds like a winner to me.
Especially when the game becomes next gen only which could be as soon as 2023, last gen owners will need to upgrade then and it will be a compelling purchase.

Would be a waste as they've only secured half the chip allocation of Sony for their consoles. If anything they should price it higher as supply is so small.

UnNamed

Banned
Microsoft should port some of their older games on Switch, games that already finished their run on other platforms.

There is no reason why we shouldn't see HaloMMC on Switch since they sold a lot on Xbox and PC. After you have already reach the critical mass on your consoles, there is no problem to port your games on other platforms.
It's the same as Sony after all, they release their major IP after they sold tons on Playstation, then when the sales are at their lower, they port on PC.

Give us the old Halo's, but Forza too. There is no game like Forz Horizon on Switch, and a Forza game would be a great value on Nintendo console.

I'm pretty damned impressed honestly. MS is truly playing some 4D chess here. This interview should be archived as educational material, as a lesson for other companies on how to set up your competitors.

Additionally, this thread should be archived as well. Because you simply can't buy the kind of entertainment it will bring about a year from now. Reading the replies will be hysterical.

Markio128

I couldn’t give two shits either way, but these threads are always a good source of entertainment.
Meltdown Feels GIF

tommib

I'm pretty damned impressed honestly. MS is truly playing some 4D chess here. This interview should be archived as educational material, as a lesson for other companies on how to set up your competitors.

Additionally, this thread should be archived as well. Because you simply can't buy the kind of entertainment it will bring about a year from now. Reading the replies will be hysterical.
fortune teller gypsy GIF

People pissed that people on PlayStation will still be able to play the game is so confusing to me. So you care about Xbox but are angry at them making more money with a game that has never been Xbox exclusive anyway and you'll sill be able to play day one on Game pass?
Who's pissed? Are you able to see posts that I can't perhaps? I've seen people skeptical of what MS will actually do, and people that think they're still being somewhat vague with the wording.

Haven't seen people pissed or angry though.

chonga

Only a month ago Phil said its their desire to keep COD on PS, what's changed? Surely they would of already made that decision when they bought AB
Nothing changed. By which I mean not only did nothing change in Microsoft's mind, but also nothing changed amongst the green rats. Their steadfast belief that COD et al would be their exclusive golden child continues on.

They're notable by their absence, or if they are present their refusal to talk about how they were wrong with some still clinging on to slight hope of exclusivity and for as long as those people continue those beliefs, these threads and reports will come.

DJ12

64o7go.jpg

MS are playing chess, you still think they are playing Ludo.

Microsoft should port some of their older games on Switch, games that already finished their run on other platforms.

There is no reason why we shouldn't see HaloMMC on Switch since they sold a lot on Xbox and PC. After you have already reach the critical mass on your consoles, there is no problem to port your games on other platforms.
It's the same as Sony after all, they release their major IP after they sold tons on Playstation, then when the sales are at their lower, they port on PC.

Give us the old Halo's, but Forza too. There is no game like Forz Horizon on Switch, and a Forza game would be a great value on Nintendo console.
Sometimes people say “mcc cant run on switch!” if anyone can get cod or mcc running on switch, its microsoft, and the ports will wow is.

ZehDon

A next gen switch in 2024 would likely be more powerful than the Steam Deck And Xbox One, for sure. Definitely have a better CPU than either the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One.

They’ll port the games to run on the hardware at 720p, equivalent low settings. And it’ll run just fine.
That's seems doubtful. The Switch is basically a portable WiiU, because Nintendo don't loss lead with their hardware. So, if Nintendo stick with Nvidia's hardware, and the rumours around the use of Tegra Xavier are correct, then it'll once again be very underpowered compared to the mainline consoles. 720p30 at low settings is an optimistic version of what we'll see. There's a reason Xbone and PS4 CODs weren't ported to the Switch, so I suspect that'll hold regarding porting XSX and PS5 CODs to the Switch 2.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is ironic when we still have people in denial here about Starfield exclusivity 🤭

Even Tom Warren, high ranking officer of the green army has had his orders to leave you and your brothers alone in the battlefield. Look to your left and to your right, see your brothers in arms staring into the void, crossing their arms and praying to saint Greenberg for guidance. Repent my son, there's still time.

Three

why not do the same thing with Bethesda then why do all of the popular Activision titles have to the remain multiplatform, I can understand call of duty but that should be like only one that should stay multiplatform.
Risk. A good rule of thumb is any big game/IP is cross gen and multiplatform. Cheaper unknown games/IPs are not.

Does this means bethesda game will follow activision path ( coming to ps and nintendo)?

If true then great news
Most are taking it one way or the other.

• Some think this means that MS are to become a publisher basically. All future COD titles will be released on Playstation as well as Nintendo's consoles.

• Some think that MS are trying to get out ahead of regulators concerns regarding approval, and that by repeatedly starting phrases with the words "We'd like to" or "We plan to"... That MS is being coy and intend to treat the A/B deal the same way they did the Bethesda one.

If the first group is correct, then MS fully intends to release not just COD on all consoles... but all it's 1st party games. If MS is simply after the revenue, then expect MS to begin releasing Halo, Forza, Gears, Flight Sim, as well as all it's other exclusives. If MS is being straightforward here, then there's literally zero reason it's other exclusive offerings that are similar to COD (such as Halo). Won't be coming to Playstation shortly. It would also mean that MS will almost certainly be existing the console business sometime in the next 4 to 5 years. With all their offerings being on all other platforms, the Xbox console becomes the most restricted platform with by far the worst offering.

If the second group is largely correct. It means that Xbox continues down the the same path it largely has for some time now.

64o7go.jpg

MS are playing chess, you still think they are playing Ludo.
I've got no problem with this at all. By all means, if you think I'm desperately coping. Then feel free to post away at my expense.

You just make sure you're here when I resurrect this thread once the deal is finalized.

DJ12

I've got no problem with this at all. By all means, if you think I'm desperately coping. Then feel free to post away at my expense.

You just make sure you're here when I resurrect this thread once the deal is finalized.
There's no need to wait.

Your cope is telling you there is. Everyone else has heard it directly from Brads mouth and understands already, this is the way.

Riky

$MSFT
Would be a waste as they've only secured half the chip allocation of Sony for their consoles. If anything they should price it higher as supply is so small.

Series S chip is a lot smaller so you get more out of a wafer, that's why we had the results we did in the last NPD.

DJ12

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Right......Microsoft is bringing out President Brad Smith for console warrior purposes. Brilliant. /s

Sad New Year GIF

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I know it pains you but watch the interview - the implication is that big AAA IPs will be multiplat. It's time for the usual suspects to come to terms with the new direction MS is taking.
There is no implication from anything. Its always fanboys creating new narratives to validate their agenda.
Does this means bethesda game will follow activision path ( coming to ps and nintendo)?

If true then great news
Is this seriously the new cope?
You know when the argument is brought up that Xbox is just a small part of MS, usually in defense of Xbox? Well it really is a small part of MS, and all fantasies about them risking it all to appease Xbox console warriors are just that, fantasies.
Even Tom Warren, high ranking officer of the green army has had his orders to leave you and your brothers alone in the battlefield. Look to your left and to your right, see your brothers in arms staring into the void, crossing their arms and praying to saint Greenberg for guidance. Repent my son, there's still time.
Thirty7ven Thirty7ven are you okay? You have been spending a whole day to come up with a new story about how MS will close Xbox to appease you. No one seems to care of a hopeful xbox console exclusive COD as much as you dreaming of a scenario where COD remaining multiplat somehow makes Xbox incompetent and spells the end of the brand.
Just go full Sega and put everything on PlayStation, nobody cares about Xbox in my country lol
Looks like you do care enough that you spent three years cringeposting about Xbox on GAF.

Top Bottom